load previous
Jul 1, 2019 5:24 pm
OOC:
So glad I trained that....

Rolls

Knowledge - Arcana - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Jul 1, 2019 5:27 pm
Verrian takes the pouch, the ring, and the black cloak from the corpse and rises to make her way to Ember's side.

"Curious," she mutters as she peers at the scratched symbols in the stone.

Rolls

Linguistics check - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Jul 1, 2019 5:36 pm
Elora carefully steps over the new corpse, trying not think about it as she looks at the door.
OOC:
That's not training, this is training.

I knew this would happen.
Last edited July 1, 2019 5:36 pm

Rolls

Knowledge- Arcana - (1d20+8)

(2) + 8 = 10

Guess I'll add lingusitics - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Jul 1, 2019 5:44 pm
Ephwrath approaches the corpse and nearby door, and proceeds to scan the area for magic and anything else noteworthy.
OOC:
Casting Detect Magic

Rolls

Knowledge: Arcana - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Knowledge: History - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Perception - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Jul 1, 2019 5:52 pm
There is a strong aura of magic emanating from the vault door, and faint auras of magic from the cloak and ring Verrian has retrieved. Unfortunately, Ephwrath is unable to determine anything further about the auras at this time, nor is he able to make any additional observations about the symbols and their translation.
Jul 1, 2019 6:44 pm
Let me see if I have run into these ruins in my travels

Rolls

Am I a cunning linguist? - (1D20+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Jul 1, 2019 7:32 pm
As Elora studies the symbols again, and tries to correlate them to the ravings scratched into the wall, she gets the strong impression that the symbols carved into the door frame have more to say than simply "Life given opens the way." There are too many symbols for the to be the complete translation. She is able to identify some of the symbols — for example, the symbol for "life", if the translation is correct. If that is an accurate translation of the symbol, it is repeated at a few points around the door frame, as though there are additional phrases beyond the one the necromancer identified.
Jul 1, 2019 8:02 pm
Ephwrath walks over to Verrian who’s holding the ring. "May I take a look at that?". He examines the ring and hands it back to her. He then proceeds to further check the body of the necromancer.
OOC:
Adding a few additional Knowledge checks out of desperation as well...

Rolls

Spellcraft check in ring - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Heal check on body - (1d20+8)

(1) + 8 = 9

Knowledge: Religion - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

Knowledge: Nobility - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Knowledge: Planes - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Jul 1, 2019 8:07 pm
"I'd need alot more time to study these writings, my current comprehension is...inept." She begins to brainstorm, scratching her hair absentmindedly. "Maybe it requires a blood sacrifice? I once read a novel where a necromancer did such a thing. Do they even partake of such...practices anymore?" While lost in thought she notices the ring and cloak which is getting some attention.

Rolls

Spellcraft - ring - (1d20+10)

(11) + 10 = 21

Spellcraft - cloak - (1d20+10)

(13) + 10 = 23

Jul 1, 2019 8:12 pm
OOC:
Elora identifies the items as a ring of protection +1 and a cloak of resistance +1 (+1 to all saving throws).
Jul 1, 2019 8:22 pm
Just in case there is more combat to come, does anyone have any skill in binding wounds? It's not serious, but I wouldn't want it to get infected.
Jul 1, 2019 8:43 pm
Ephwrath finishes studying the corpse and looks up at Wil. "Oh! I'm sorry. I should have attended to that first." Ephwrath walks over and places a hand on Willitan's wound and casts a spell. "There you go. That should do it!"

Rolls

CLW on Wil - (1d8+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Heal check on Wil - (1d20+8)

(9) + 8 = 17

Jul 1, 2019 8:56 pm
As Ephwrath treats Wil's wound, he's able to detect a telltale odor coming from the bite. As he studies the wound a little more, he realizes that the ghoul's bite infected the halfling with ghoul fever. Ephwrath knows from his studies that the symptoms will likely come on in the morning, and include weakness and lethargy as well sluggishness and delayed reaction times . There are simple remedies that will treat the symptoms and strengthen the inflicted individual's immune system, but no immediate cure outside of a spell. He'll simply have to fight it off and rest.
OOC:
Wil will suffer both CON and DEX damage tomorrow, and continue to suffer until cured. Ephwrath's successful Heal check grants Wil a +4 bonus to his next Fortitude save (DC 13), but he'll have to make saves on two consecutive days to be rid of the infection. Both will get the +4 bonus.
Jul 1, 2019 9:02 pm
Thank you Ephwrath, and the gods from whom such blessings flow.
Jul 1, 2019 9:04 pm
"I think it's important that we get this text translated as much as possible," Verrian says. "Maybe Renaya can read it, even if she can't cast. I'll run back and see if she's willing to take a look."

She starts down the stairs off of the platform.
Jul 1, 2019 9:11 pm
Wil subconsciously runs the healed bite.

I would appreciate the warmth of that cloak until the chill of the grave has left my body.
Jul 1, 2019 10:41 pm
Yelnar comes to from the shock of actually landing a blow. Seeing that it seems the Necromancer has been searched already, he grabs the body and lays it to rest on the tables in the previous room, doing his best job of arranging it as though for burial.

"Should we check that other side of the tunnels before the onset of Will’s infection?"
Jul 1, 2019 10:57 pm
Ember looks back and forth, distressed first that Epwrath didnt' answer her question, then more that Wil was injured, then more that Verrian was heading back through the tunnels alone. After darting her eyes between the three, she hops up and moves quickly to follow her.
[ +- ] head
Last edited July 1, 2019 10:57 pm
Jul 2, 2019 5:20 pm
Verrian and Ember

As you emerge from the secret door into the tunnels, a small crowd has gathered awaiting further news after the rescue of the missing family. When Ember and the tall, intimidating woman in the fancy silver clothing emerge, there's a mix of reactions. One fellow readies an arrow and looks around at his companions, wondering why they're not getting ready for a fight. Others are simply bewildered at this new person appearing out of the tunnel. A couple others gasp in awe, not certain that their eyes are telling them the truth.

Greybeard steps forward and says, "Ember, who is this you bring with you?" He speaks a little formally, even deferentially. Whoever this is, she doesn't look like the kind you want to offend.
Everyone Else

While awaiting Renaya's potential arrival, the rest of you spend some time looking about the room. The longer you study the symbols carved into the walls and around the door, the more you start to realize there's a pattern. Not in what symbols are written, or in what order, but if you stand a distance away and look at where the symbols are written, you realize they form a picture.

When the light is right, you can see that the carvings form a landscape. The symbols along the bottom half of the diagonal walls seem to depict gently rolling hills. In a few places, symbols are carved vertically up from the "ground" and spread into tree shapes. A little farther along, the symbols are carved more densely. In a moment of inspiration, you think it might be indicating a river. The symbols flow up the wall that holds the vault door and spread out into no apparent pattern at all, as if the ground was rising into the air and dissipating into nothingness.

You look up to the ceiling, about 20 feet overhead, and with the light sources you have, you think you can make out symbols carved there as well, centered around where the statues meet the ceiling and radiating out in lines toward the walls.
Jul 2, 2019 5:23 pm
Wow, that's good workmanship. Anyone else feel like this might be a portal?
Last edited July 2, 2019 5:23 pm
load next

Thread locked