Chapter 3: Crow's Nest

load previous
May 14, 2019 5:52 pm
"It's probably best to let Yelnar handle the pony," Verrian says diplomatically. "Now, we'd better hurry if we're going to get into position, let Krav do his spell and give instructions to Shiloh, and the rest of you get to that building before anyone sees us."
May 14, 2019 6:06 pm
Krav looks confused for a moment, and then looks under the pony's legs. "It's a boy," he says, trying to hide a snicker.
He approaches the pony cautiously but dominantly, with one hand up, and where he can easily be seen. "Easy boah," he says as he gets closer. "Easy. Where's your owner?" He's not really expecting a response, but he knows that speaking to the horse will likely calm it.
Last edited May 14, 2019 6:19 pm

Rolls

Wild Empathy (to improve the pony's attitude) - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Handle Animal (if required to try an lead him) - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

May 14, 2019 6:12 pm
Verrian is starting to be very concerned by the party's sudden descent into obsession over this abandoned pony. "I really think we have to keep moving," she reiterates. "If the rest of you really want to keep working with the pony, Froak and I will continue to the spying points."
May 14, 2019 6:13 pm
Krav seems to put the animal at ease, and the pony follows along without argument.
May 14, 2019 6:30 pm
"I agree, let's move on." Krav leads the pony by the reins and follows Verrian along toward the Citadel.
"I will stop and leave him along the road a while before we reach our destination. Otherwise his tracks would lead straight to our location."
May 14, 2019 10:31 pm
Ember points out the way through town, and after Krav finds an excellent spot for the pony a little way closer to town, the party moves in again. In the faint dawn light, you find your way to the temporary headquarters. The two-story building appears to have once been a general store, with living quarters upstairs, perhaps for the owner and family. Whatever supplies used to be here have long since been looted, crates overturned and broken open, tables smashed, and other similar wanton destruction.

The stairs to the second floor are behind what must have once been the main counter. There are also stairs to a basement found there.
May 14, 2019 10:43 pm
Certainly a little pleased with herself, Ember surveys the room.

Well, we've hopefully got quite a bit of time. Who wants to check out the basement with me?
May 14, 2019 11:11 pm
Elora starts surveying the room for usable furniture, wiping away dust and placing debris in the corner. "I uh, don't think you'll find anything. But I'll go."
OOC:
If we have lots of time beforehand I might wanna take at least one hour for another crack at spell deciphering.
May 14, 2019 11:16 pm
Ember visibly perks up at this and heads for the stairwell.

Rolls

Does it look janky? Perception +0 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

May 15, 2019 12:49 am
"We'll leave you to it, then," Verrian says, after satisfying herself that the building seems safe enough to leave her friends in. "Froak will take me to his spying spot now. If we get into trouble, he'll..." She sighs, unable to believe she's about to say this. "He'll give his mating call."
May 15, 2019 3:17 am
Ephwrath absentmindedly shuffles in and finds a quiet corner to sit. He proceeds to send several samples back to the college via his teleporter box, carefully cataloguing each of them in a large book that lays across his lap.
May 15, 2019 3:21 am
OOC:
The group at the building should probably try contacting Athisa at the same time we did yesterday, when that time rolls around.
May 15, 2019 5:00 am
OOC:
Posting on behalf of Froak, in Robb’s absence.
Froak is clearly excited to go, and breaks into a wide froggy grin at Verrian. "It will be a call like has never been heard!"

He puts a hand to his broad chin, stroking it in thought, mimicking a gesture he saw someone use. "Though it is not the right season. It may be that I need to stretch my voice first. And... any females nearby will surely be confused."

"Let’s just go," he says to Verrian. "Too many thoughts get in the way of the doing of a thing!"
May 15, 2019 5:06 am
Ember looks down the stairs. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
May 15, 2019 5:44 am
Shaking her head with a slight grin, Verrian waves to the remaining members of the group who aren't about to be eaten by a grue and follows Froak out the doorway and on the path to his hiding spot.
May 15, 2019 5:48 am
OOC:
Hey, wait a minute...

I can use my light spell if need be, or we could use a few candles.
Elora wouldn't say she was afraid of the dark, but if Ember paid close attention she might notice Elora's eyes are a bit wider then usual. "Maybe... we shouldn't do this."
May 15, 2019 6:54 am
Viani walks up to Ephwrath as he is sending his samples to the college and timidly asks: "Do you mind sending another letter for me? I wrote another one during the night"
If he agrees, she'll take the letter out of her pocket and give it to him.
Afterwards, she sits down on the ground next to him, leaning against the wall. She feels like talking to him but he seems busy so she decides to study. She takes out her large book again and begins to read in it.
May 15, 2019 12:03 pm
Yelnar takes a seat and starts doing some breathing exercises to try and help pass the time - he has never been good at waiting.
May 15, 2019 12:19 pm
Ember clasps Elora's shoulder and casts "Protection." It's a tiny spell, but it makes Ember feel less reckless. A soft warmth hits Elora, and dissipates quickly.

Don't worry! The college sent us to explore, right? Besides. The last weird spot people found was just horses!

She lights a candle, casts "Protection" on herself as well, and heads down the stairs.
OOC:
All right, grues, come get me haha.
May 15, 2019 5:52 pm
OOC:
Posting with the assumption that Elora is also going down the stairs. And Elora, you can go ahead and make another set of spellcraft rolls for copying spells to your spellbook.
Elora and Ember

As you walk down the stairs, you notice a line of glass orbs set partway into the ceiling. You recognize them as a common pre-War light source: they were manufactured just about everywhere, and many of them are still in use back in Meriava. They're a clever mix of spell and engineering -- a Light spell inside a specially-coated glass orb that would reflect and emit the light for months on end without having to recast the spell or use a Permanency spell. These, however, are clearly beyond their useful life, and may have even been deliberately shattered.

Your light sources are enough to see around the room at the bottom of the stairs. Clearly a storage room, and just as clearly long since looted just as the main floor was. You could probably find a few random bits of equipment if you chose to search for a little while, maybe some rope or a few extra sacks or similar things. Many of the cabinets and shelves have been pulled off the walls or knocked over, though one large shelving unit still stands upright against one wall.
load next

Thread locked