Part 1: Goblin Arrows

load previous
Nov 4, 2015 12:42 am
Kama swings powerfully, chopping straight through Goblin 1... and then straight through the approaching Goblin 2, felling them both.

Woo! Cleaving through creatures rule!

The way is open for Kama's companions. Goblin 3 is rushing toward the steps... Will he make it in time?
Nov 4, 2015 12:52 am
Wish vows to himself: *When we get out of this and get to Phandalin, I'm definitely going to buy a lantern!*

(edit: you all typed a lot faster than I did)

Having lit his torch, he follows Hollow up the stone path and nods at Xora. She's going to be better with her bow than he will with his, so he keeps the torch. He gets up to Kama, Hollow, and the dead goblin and looks at the half-orc holding the crossbow. Wish nods. "Hollow's right. Who knows what they're doing to Gundren? How about you and I go ahead? I'll sneak and you shoot if they see us; with the torch, both Xora and Hollow will be able to see the goblins and shoot them as we draw them out." He grins. "It's nothing to what you can do, Hollow, but I can do some tricks with the torch, too." He looks expectantly at them.

Jogging after the others with the light source that allows Xora and him to see anything at all, Wish trots up the stairs with his rapier in his other hand. He dashes to catch the goblin next round if Xora's shot misses.
Last edited November 4, 2015 12:57 am
Nov 4, 2015 12:54 am
I move forward until the third goblin is in my sight. I give it a moment to turn just so in order to impart maximum damage, then I fire.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Damage - (1d8+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Nov 4, 2015 12:58 am
Xora's shot just misses the mark, shattering against the stone wall just past the Goblin.

Wish makes it up the stairs in time to see Xora's shot miss. The goblin has his foot on the first step. You know that your only chance to stop him before he gets up them lies with Hollow.

Hollow's gotta go still, and then it's the goblin's turn
Nov 4, 2015 1:00 am
Edit: I am just too slow with the typing today!

With the dash, was I able to get adjacent to goblin 3? I suspect it has a lower speed than Wish's. No doubt she missed because of the dancing shadows from the torch...
Last edited November 4, 2015 1:03 am
Nov 4, 2015 1:05 am
Unfortunately Goblin 3 is too far away, about 40 feet at the moment.
Nov 4, 2015 1:08 am
Hollow raises a hand above her head and roars at the goblin in an unknown tongue.
"CHA'THUL FAN"

A bolt of blue and white light streaks across the room at Goblin 3.

Rolls

Eldritch blast - (1d20+6, 1d10)

1d20+6 : (7) + 6 = 13

1d10 : (10) = 10

Nov 4, 2015 1:13 am
"Damn!"

(OoC: how tall are the stairs goblin 3 is ascending?)
Nov 4, 2015 1:35 am
The goblin, narrowly avoiding Hollow's attack makes it up the stairs and out of sight.

Everything is silent except for the sound of the water.

The stairs ascend about 10 feet
Nov 4, 2015 1:58 am
More silence. I'm beginning to hate silence.

Kama picks up Hollow's crossbow and tosses it to Wish. For good measure, he picks up the unbroken javelin left by the goblin and hefts it, assessing its balance. He briefly turns to the party nods, then starts a purposeful jog to the stairs where the goblin disappeared.
Nov 4, 2015 2:33 am
Wish sheathes his rapier and, with crossbow and torch in hand, jogs up the stairs with Kama.
Nov 4, 2015 1:58 pm
As Kama reaches the top of the steps he can see that he has entered a large chamber. In the center of the chamber is a smoldering fire pit; it looks like it just recently went out. In the south (straight ahead) side of the room you can see what looks like supplies, probably stolen from passing caravans. To your right are a couple of stalagmites, beyond which is a hole in the ground, possibly a shaft to a lower area.

As you step up you hear a scuffle behind the stalagmites to your right, and can barely see the edge of a large boot sticking out from behind it.

As the rest of the party reaches the top of the steps a large bugbear leaps out from behind a stalagmite, morning start swinging menacingly, "Puny human is Klarg dinner, you no take! Ripper, kill them!" With that a large wolf comes out from beside him and begins to charge, and 3 goblins pop up from behind the supplies in the back of the room with bows ready to fire.

You can hear barking coming from behind you as well, and it's getting close quickly (next round)

Naatkinson sent a note to foolsmask
Party Initiative, take your actions!

Klarg and Ripper are 15 feet to Kama's right, the goblins are about 20 feet straight ahead behind boxes of supplies

Rolls

Secret Roll

Player Init - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Enemy Init - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Barking Init - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Nov 4, 2015 4:33 pm
Surrounded. Figures. Odds aren't good!

"Here's your appetizer!" Kama says, using his momentum to launch the javelin at the bugbear.

Trusting his companions to cover him, Kama reaches for his greataxe and readies himself to meet the wolf's charge. This is a bad situation, outnumbered and in the perfect kill-zone. The half-orc breathes in the scent of fresh blood from his armor, mentally steeling his resolve.

Rolls

Javelin throw at Klarg, Damage - (1d20+3, 1d6+1)

1d20+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

1d6+1 : (4) + 1 = 5

Nov 4, 2015 5:56 pm
"Ripper is a bad doggie. No treats for you!" With that she points at the large wolf and a smaller beam of white and blue light streaks toward the beast. When it strikes the wolf it shatters like glass and the shards dance along the animal, spin and shimmer in front of its face. The will bite and scratch when she casts her next spell.

She follows it up with another Eldritch Blast, a heavy streak of blue and white light that burns and freezes the air as it flashes by.
"Chul'than foun!"

Hollow casts Hex on Ripper. The effect lasts for concentration or 1 hour and allows Hollow to do +1d6 damage on future attacks and it grants Disadvantage on Dexterity checks (my choice). Eldritch Blast 25 to hit, 9 damage
Last edited November 4, 2015 7:24 pm

Rolls

Eldritch blast - (1d20+6, 1d10, 1d6)

1d20+6 : (19) + 6 = 25

1d10 : (4) = 4

1d6 : (5) = 5

Nov 4, 2015 7:14 pm
Hollow's magical assault causes Ripper to stumble in his charge, clearly terribly wounded. His loyalty to his master forces him to press on and he advances toward the party menacingly.
Nov 4, 2015 8:01 pm
Wish tosses the torch into the middle of the room near the fire pit; hopefully it will keep lit for a round or two so that he and Xora can see. He aims his crossbow at the middle goblin as they pop up and shoots it.

(Do I still have a move action after tossing the torch and firing the crossbow? If so, I want to toss down the crossbow as Hollow suggested and close to the goblins. How far away are they?)
Last edited November 4, 2015 8:03 pm

Rolls

Firing crossbow at goblin archer, damage on a hit - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (17) + 5 = 22

1d8+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Nov 4, 2015 8:09 pm
Wish's crossbow bolt slams into Goblin 2. He swoons from the pain by manages to keep standing.

Yes, Wish will still have a move after that. The archers are about 25 feet ahead of you at the moment.

Just waiting on Xora's action before the goblin turn
Nov 4, 2015 11:15 pm
So if I can, I want to run up and get adjacent to one (or more, if possible) of those archers. If that's not possible, I want to run up and crouch on the other side of the boxes/supplies they're behind.
Nov 4, 2015 11:26 pm
Wish drops his crossbow and rushes forward, leaping over a stack of supplies and landing in front of goblins 1 and 2.
Nov 5, 2015 1:29 am
I get just within range of the biggest threat, which at the moment seems to be the bugbear before I unleash my first arrow. At this point I'm looking for any excuse to kill something if they dare make a move against us. I eye the wolf warily but make no move to ease its suffering just yet.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Damage - (1d8+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

load next

Thread locked