Part 1: Goblin Arrows

load previous
Nov 1, 2015 8:03 pm
Wish gestures to the others, shows two fingers, and then points into the thicket. Then he fires at the closer guard goblin.

Rolls

Sneak bow attack (ADV) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (17) + 5 = 22

1d20+5 : (1) + 5 = 6

Sneak bow attack damage - (2d6+3)

(13) + 3 = 7

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Nov 1, 2015 8:10 pm
Th closer goblin goes down, an arrow in its throat. The other goblin, startled by the sudden and brutal attack fumbles for his bow, but can't seem to keep his hands from shaking.

[Players get the initiative, post when ready]

Rolls

Player Initiative - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Goblin initiative - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Nov 1, 2015 9:47 pm
I take several steps forward, then crouch down and take aim at the remaining goblin.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Damage - (1d10+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Attack! (Disadvantage?) - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Nov 1, 2015 10:00 pm
(OoC: forgot about sided INIT; sorry!)

Chances are Xora's attack was enough, but Wish fires another shot to be sure.

Rolls

Short bow attack - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Short bow damage - (1d6+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Nov 1, 2015 10:34 pm
Hollow crosses to the other bank of the stream and does her best to take cover and readies healed to fire her crossbow at the next enemy to appear.
Nov 1, 2015 10:41 pm
Xora runs, leaps over the stream, and slides around the corner, already crouched down. Taking quick aim, she looses her arrow, taking the goblin right in the heart, it goes down with barely a whisper of sound.
Naatkinson sent a note to Moofsalot
The party takes a quick look around and can't see any more goblins in the immediate area.

You can all see that the cave entrance is about 7 feet wide, with a 3 foot wide path running along the right side of the stream. You can see a there is a path that goes off to the right just a little ways into the cave. Beyond that it gets dark very quickly. Anyone without darkvision will need to have a torch to see any further inside.

Everyone will gain 25 exp for that encounter

Wish is able to retrieve one arrow, but Xora is not
Nov 1, 2015 10:50 pm
Wish retrieves what arrows he can, if he can (?) and then goes about lighting one of his torches.
Nov 1, 2015 11:57 pm
Kama moves up from his previous position. The others did good work in taking out the sentries quickly and quietly; Kama himself would have caused too much noise.

The fighter crosses the stream to reach the path into the cave, and stops near the entrance to give room to the scouts in the party. Kama peeks into the cave entrance, letting his darkvision come into focus.
Nov 2, 2015 12:31 am
With his darkvision, Kama can tell that the path curves off to the right shortly after the opening to the right-hand path.
Nov 2, 2015 1:34 am
Hollow moves to take cover behind Kama, keeping her crossbow pointed at the cave entrance.

She whispers to him, "What are we doing exactly? We don't even know how many goblins are in there. What if we are out numbered?"
Nov 2, 2015 2:40 am
"We'll always be outnumbered, when it comes to goblins," admits Kama. "We'll sneak in as far as we can, and determine where Gundren and Sildar are being held before we're noticed." He signals Xora and Wish that there are no other goblins within the cave entrance.

As an afterthought, Kama adds, "That's assuming they're alive."
Nov 2, 2015 3:23 am
Wish looks reluctantly at the dark cave, then at his torch.
"We're going to attract some attention with this....Kama, I think you're the only one able to see in the dark. Do you want to take a quick look, before we all go in with this announcing us?"

(OoC: Somehow I always forget how useful darkvision is until we actually get into the adventure...)
Nov 2, 2015 3:48 am
"He shouldn't go alone. I'll back him up...I can see just fine in the dark."
Hollow turns to Kama, "And...you don't need to talk...just think at me, I'll hear it and be able to respond."
Last edited November 2, 2015 3:50 am
Nov 2, 2015 5:00 am
Wish bows in apology, both for assuming she didn't have darkvision and for assuming Hollow was too...genteel to skulk.
Thinking at her: *I apologize; I hope I won't underestimate you again!*
Nov 2, 2015 5:35 am
Staying a good distance away from the cave entrance, I nod to Kama and raise one finger and draw a tight "halo" in the air, indicating that I will circle the entrance from afar and keep sentry in case there is any trouble. This is a simple signal that I've always used with my clan, so I just assume he understands my meaning.

I then disappear into the trees, using the greenery to my advantage in order to remain hidden. At the same time, I study the tracks on the ground to get an estimate for how many goblins have come through this area and listen for any approaching trouble heading towards the cave from the outer forest areas.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Perception - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Nov 2, 2015 5:41 am
Huh. I didn't know about that. Does that mean she heard when I thought about... oh wait wait, stop! Gah!

Kama blinks and shakes his head for a moment, then looks at Xora. He nods at the dragonborn's signal, able to understand its meaning thanks to his brief stint in the military. "All right," he says. "The path curves just ahead. I'll peek around and see what's there, and signal if it's clear."

He is about to step forward, when he pulls back and turns to Wish. "Uh, just so you know... I'm not that good at tip-toeing. Might want to be ready." Kama grins, and enters the cave.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(17) + 1 = 18

Disadvantage on stealth due to chain mail - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Nov 2, 2015 6:34 am
The Tiefling gives the Kama a small lead (15 ft) and follows crossbow at the ready, but not aimed at his back. She seems more apprehensive since revealing her secret.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Nov 2, 2015 7:48 am
As Xora guards from further away, Wish will hunker down behind cover near to the entrance and keep an eye out for any movement: his friends returning, goblins emerging from the cave, whatever.

Rolls

Stealth (taking cover) - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Perception (watching for movement) - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Nov 2, 2015 2:39 pm
Just inside the cave mouth, a few uneven stone steps lead up to a small dank chamber of the right side of the cavern. Kama and Hollow can hear growling coming from the chamber. Peering inside slightly, Kama can see two wolves chained up, their chain leads to a rod driven into the base of a stalagmite near the entrance to the room. Beyond the wolves the cave narrows to a steep fissure at the far end, it appears to lead upward, but you can't tell where it leads.

Beyond this room the main passage climbs steeply upward, about 20 feet down the passageway across the stream on the left side is another passage.
Nov 2, 2015 4:30 pm
Kama pauses his advance, and turns his head to look at Hollow. Wolves. I don't think they've smelled us, yet. Do you have anything that can distract or quiet them? Huh. Never noticed how her horns catch the dim light that way. Reminds me of Farmer MacGruk's prized ram, a magnificent creature standing watch over the flock like... Kama's thoughts trail on quietly.
load next

Thread locked