Chapter 3.a: Citadel Infiltration

load previous
Jun 3, 2019 10:57 pm
Ephwrath, who’s been waiting just outside behind Verrian whispers to her, "Will he allow me to examine Renaya to make sure she’s alright?"
Last edited June 3, 2019 10:58 pm
Jun 3, 2019 11:14 pm
Ildemu clicks his tongue with a disapproving shake of his head. "So dramatic. Sometimes sacrifices must be made. Or taken. It all works out the same in the end. If it hurts them, I'm not aware of it."

He gestures to Renaya once more. "As I've said, she's no longer of any use to us. Squeaky had a piece of the metal that goes into the material the restraints are made of. Touch it to them, and they'll fall apart and free her."

He folds his hands, resting them near his waist. "Are we done here? I've other business to attend to, so if you wouldn't mind my departing..." he says, trailing off and nodding toward the open door.
Jun 3, 2019 11:19 pm
Shaking her head, Verrian says, "No, we're not done here yet. Viani, keep him covered." She steps forward and uses the odd metal key Squeaky had given them to release Renaya's restraints and then removes the blindfold. She helps the woman to her feet. "I'm going to have our cleric look her over before we let you go anywhere."
Jun 3, 2019 11:30 pm
Ildemu rolls his eyes ceilingward and sighs. "Very well. I thought we could do this the polite, civilized way, but if I must be rude, so be it."

"I won't say it's exactly been a pleasure speaking with you all again, but it's certainly been enlightening. If you keep on your noble mission, I'm sure we'll encounter each other again," he says, offering a flat, forced smile. He takes hold of the iron ring he wears and gives it a full turn around his finger.
OOC:
Viani, if you wish, you're welcome to take an attack of opportunity before whatever the ring does takes effect.
Jun 3, 2019 11:38 pm
Renaya, her hands freed and blindfold removed, settles back to her knees. She looks from Verrian to Viani to Ildemu, only showing emotion when she sees that last face. She fixes Ildemu with a flat stare, but doesn't appear angry, necessarily. Just... serious, focused, and intense. She absently rubs at her wrists, though there's no sign that they physically harmed her in any way.

"If I thought I stood a chance of killing you with my bare hands, I would rip your throat out myself," she says in a low, harsh whisper. "You and your ilk will pay dearly. For everything you've done to me and my people. You have stolen my soul, Ildemu."

As she speaks, her words become more strained, her body more tense, to the point where she is actually trembling.
Jun 4, 2019 4:17 am
OOC:
Previous post edited. It didn't ring true, or get important points across.
Jun 4, 2019 5:14 am
Viani lowers her weapon, unsure on how to act anymore at all. She watches Verrian and Ephwrath take care of Renaya but doesn't do anything herself. If Ildemu tries to leave, she won't even stop him
Jun 4, 2019 5:21 am
With a twist of the ring, a line of light appears behind him, expanding slightly wider than he is. He makes a slight half bow, then steps into the light. As soon as he does so, there's a brief flash and the line of light winks back out of existence. He is gone.
Jun 4, 2019 3:24 pm
Verrian looks at Viani, shocked that she'd made no effort to attack Ildemu when she'd had a chance, but says nothing. She helps Renaya out of the cell.

"Renaya," she says gently, "my name is Verrian of Cyr. We're here with your son, Yelnar. This is Ephwrath, our cleric."
Jun 4, 2019 4:50 pm
Viani silently reattaches her weapon to the back holster. From what Ildemu said, it does not seem like they should expect to be attacked by the Crows.
"We should get out of here and meet up with our allies. I hope they didn't get into too much trouble while we were here.", she says. "Did we ever think of a signal to show that we are done here and the distraction team can retreat?"
OOC:
Moon, what is Verrian doing with the restraints and key?
78, what would be the normal way of honoring/burying the dead for Occasa? And would it be possible for Viani to carry Squeaky out of here?
Jun 4, 2019 4:54 pm
OOC:
Good question. I'll say burial during an hour when the moon is out, day or night. I suspect there would be a superstition against burying the dead during a new moon or before moonrise. Yes, you can carry Squeaky out pretty easily.
Jun 4, 2019 4:55 pm
Verrian's facial markings are burning scarlet as she stuffs the vile restraints and key into her backpack. "We should check Squeaky's body to see if he has one of those rings," she says. She seems to be burning from within with a deep, boiling rage.
Jun 4, 2019 5:08 pm
"I'm going to take him with us. He deserves a proper burial, under the moon. But of course we should search him first."
Jun 4, 2019 5:24 pm
Can we take a look at these other cells now?
There may be other prisoners.
Jun 4, 2019 5:43 pm
As you go to the other cells and look inside, you find that they are all empty. In fact, they all appear as though they have been empty for years, judging by the dust and stagnant air.
Jun 4, 2019 8:06 pm
Now that the danger has passed, Elora helps Willitan secure the location before checking on her teammates. "That was too close, how could he have predicted us?"
Jun 4, 2019 10:01 pm
"I have no idea," Verrian snarls, though it's clear that her anger isn't directed at Elora. Glancing to see that Ephwrath is taking a look at Renaya, she adds, "I'm going to go check Squeaky for one of those rings." She returns to the storeroom and looks for a ring like the one Ildemu used to teleport away.
Jun 4, 2019 10:05 pm
"Same way he escaped", Viani says to Elora. "Magic"
Jun 5, 2019 12:05 am
Ephwrath attends to Renaya, offering healing as needed and checking her for any injuries or other conditions.

"I'm here to help. Are you experiencing any pain? Can you tell me what they did to you?" he asks of her.

Rolls

Heal check on Renaya - (1d20+8)

(16) + 8 = 24

Jun 5, 2019 4:48 am
Renaya shakes her head once, sharply. "Nothing you can heal," she replies flatly, and then her features soften somewhat. "I apologize. It has been some time since anyone offered kindness."

She draws in a long, slow breath, and lets it out again before she continues. "They besieged the keep. We'd heard about the takeover of the citadel, but we didn't think they had the strength or will to take the fight to us out in the country. But when they arrived, they had something that dulled our magic. And without my spells..."

Her eyes go hollow for a moment, and her head bows. "I am essentially useless," she says in a strained voice.

Ephwrath checks her over for physical ailments. She seems physically healthy, if tired and a little undernourished.
load next

Thread locked