Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Dec 1, 2015 1:35 am
"You know," Mordred hollers down from the shadows, "we could turn the prisoner over to the witch-men and say he knows something. Then we follow them to see where they take him. Just a thought."
Dec 1, 2015 5:09 pm
Fox Face is awake, and snarls quietly at Felor's approach, but does not struggle against his bonds.
Dec 2, 2015 12:58 pm
Felor mulls over Mordred's suggestion as he approaches the bound dog-man. Kneeling down, out of reach of the creature's teeth, he looks him in the eye.
"I apologise for what happened. We stumbled upon you and your friends while looking for shelter. We did not mean you any harm, we merely wished to share the camp fire. If you'll permit me, I will bandage your wounds."
Proceed to treat Fox-Face's wounds, if he seems amenable. Medicine check plus Guidance roll below, if relevant.
Felor whispers prayers to Fjorgyn under his breath as he works, and then continues:
"My friends in there, and your former friends, are perhaps not as well disposed to you as am I. They might wish more harm to come to you, or perhaps may decide you are less bother dead than a prisoner."
Felor sighs.
"But if you were to help us with our... investigation, they may see well to freeing you without further incident. Then you could return to your pack, and your family."
Last edited December 2, 2015 12:58 pm

Rolls

Medicine skill check plus Guidance - (1d20+4, 1d4)

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

1d4 : (2) = 2

Dec 2, 2015 4:37 pm
Zangua doesn't have much to prepare for the evening, having already settled in. He obliges the newcomers with sleep while he takes the first watch.
Dec 2, 2015 5:28 pm
Fox Face's caninoid anatomy confounds Felor, who can do no more than apply basic bandaging to the creature's wounds. "Where are Zangua and Shamush? I would speak to those treacherous cowards," he says in reply to Felor's suggestion.
Dec 3, 2015 1:55 pm
"Very well, but you may find me easier to deal with. Those two... don't seem so concerned with your welfare."
Felor heads back to the barn where he sees Zangua on watch.
"I told the dog-man his immediate future may be more pleasant if he helps us out, but he said he wanted to speak to you or Shamush. Mordred suggested we use him as bait for the men you saw in the village, although myself, I wouldn't want any harm to come to him. He is not a creature of evil, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time."
With that, Felor turns and starts to head to settle down for the night, before a thought strikes him. He decides to spend a few minutes searching the immediate vicinity for any useful herbs (either for culinary uses or medicinal).

Nature check I assume?
Last edited December 3, 2015 1:59 pm

Rolls

Nature skill check, searching for useful herbs - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Dec 3, 2015 2:35 pm
Shamush stands up and rubs his back. He's looking tired and sleepy. He flips back his greasy hair, yawns and says, "Aw, we should just let them go when we're on our way. I don't think they'll bother us, with our numbers. I don't care too much what happens to them, but they'll be too much to handle if we start trying to use them as bait or whatever. They'll probably like to start acting like cornered dogs and get too wild." He picks up his club and ambles slowly out to see what Fox Face wants.
Dec 3, 2015 5:23 pm
Zangua chuckles at Felor's words. "Not evil," mutters the fighter with a knowing chuckle. He looks like he is about to say more, but instead shrugs and follows Shamush out of the barn.
Dec 3, 2015 6:18 pm
Felor searches the area for useful plants, but there's not much beside muddy grass and hardy, useless weeds in the area around the barn.

Fox Face glares murderously at Shamush and Zangua as they approach. "I knew we were fools to trust an alliance with sons of men!" he spits. "May Yeenoghu feast on your bones in the world after."
Dec 3, 2015 6:35 pm
I knew it was gnolls. I hate gnolls.
Dec 4, 2015 9:38 am
Would Felor have encountered gnolls in Jerma?
Dec 4, 2015 5:05 pm
notinventedhere says:
Would Felor have encountered gnolls in Jerma?
Dog-headed men would not have been unheard of, but you wouldn't likely have seen any yourself, and you wouldn't know what the race is properly called, or much else about them.
Dec 4, 2015 5:27 pm
"Trust," scoffs Zangua. "You lot never trusted us to begin with. If you did, you would have at least listened to what we had to say." He spits on the ground.
Dec 4, 2015 8:22 pm
"What has become of Young Fang and One-Eye? Slain? Will you return now to what remains of our pack to ruin them as well?"
Dec 5, 2015 2:21 am
Shamush shakes his head, laughing ruefully, looking down at Fox Face. He says, "They're fine enough. We got One Eye tied up and Young Fang ran yelping out to who knows where." Thinking of this, he squints and scans around the area. Who knows where the stray brother went off to and when he would return.

"Treacherous he says. Us.", he mutters to Zangua in disgust. Shamush then lowers to his haunches near Fox Face and he stares at the dogman. His eyes lose the feverish, merry glow they usually possess and they take on a flatness. He murmurs, "Listen old chummy, fun is fun, but I ever see you and your brothers again when we part ways after sunup, well, I'll kill you real deadlike, one and all. We had good times together, which is why you're still breathing now, see? But this is an end, a boundary, and I worship the god of boundaries, so I respect em. Best you do too."

He pats Fox Face on the leg, almost gently, stands up and says to Zangua and Felor, "Maybe we ought to bring him in and tie him up, too, so Young Fang don't come spring him and then we have two of them making mischief."

OOC: Just so I'm clear, One Eye is tied to a beam in the barn and Young Fang had the fear spell cast on him and beat feet, right?
Last edited December 5, 2015 2:22 am
Dec 5, 2015 5:34 am
Young Fang and One-Eye both fled, Fox Face is the only prisoner.
Dec 5, 2015 7:50 am
Oh, so that's what a gnoll is... newbie to this whole scene right here had never seen them before haha

Inside the barn, Leth watches Zangua and Shamush go attend to the prisoner outside. For a second, he considers voicing his doubts to the group while they were gone, but decides against it. Felor, Vad, and Mordred didn't seem to have a problem with the way things were going, so maybe it would be better to just go with it. Leth finishes his last bit of food before digging around in his pack and pulls out his bedroll, preparing to turn in for the night.
Dec 7, 2015 6:14 am
Zangua nods at Shamush and agrees with his suggestion. He will work to re-secure this prisoner of the battle inside the barn, where he will be sheltered from the elements and warm.
Dec 7, 2015 10:11 am
Do I know who or what Yeenoghu is?

Rolls

Religion skill check - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Dec 7, 2015 5:04 pm
You recall that the medicine man you were apprenticed to would sometimes recite a prophylactic incantation that addressed numerous evil entities by name, abjuring and warning them off, and Yeenoghu was one of them.
load next

Thread locked