Hm... seems like you're using IE. Can I suggest a better browser, such as Firefox, Chrome or Opera? There are other choices too.

If you wanna stick with IE, or can't switch, I'll warn you right now, while most of this site should work with IE, stuff might come up buggy, so you might not enjoy it as much...

Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

Nov 2, 2015 5:56 pm
Night falls on the party's first day of travel. You have been spared the rains today, but little sunlight has made its way through the thick blanket of clouds spread across the sky. You walked along narrow paths between farmers' fields, out of sight of the main road. When evening came, you reached a narrow aisle between fields of tall unharvested corn, picked to ruin by crows and half-rotted from the damp. Once darkness fell, you could hear the creeping and rustling of hundreds of rats moving through the stalks, searching out fallen corn.

Ahead, faintly visible against the rapidly blackening sky, rose several low hills. The corn fields end abruptly, spitting the party out into soggy ground overgrown with tall weeds and thick, ropy vines bearing warty, almost-ripe gourds. The footpath is gone; your feet sink in the mud up to your ankles here. Trudging onward, you start to hear a chorus of low croaking from the frogs gathered at some distant pond.

Wending your way around one of the hills, you see a dim light a few hundred yards to the northwest: an old stone barn, its open doors facing you, glowing with firelight inside.

A chill breeze blows between the hills, and at that moment, a few fat droplets of rain spatter on the backs of your necks.
Nov 2, 2015 10:42 pm
Can I tell if it is torch/candlelight? Are there any other signs of life around? I assume if there is a fire in a barn it means someone is in there.

Apparently I'm not entirely sure it's a barn.
Last edited November 2, 2015 10:43 pm, a total of 1 time

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

( 2 ) = 2

Nov 2, 2015 11:00 pm
"A chance to get out of this mess and rest perhaps?" Vad says as he motions towards the light.

"Shall we?"

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

( 16 ) = 16

Nov 2, 2015 11:36 pm
Mordred can't seem to get his eyes to focus on the flickering orange blur of the light inside the barn, but to Vad it seems to be just the size and brightness of a small campfire. A shadow briefly passes in front of it; not surprisingly, it would seem that somebody is in there.
Nov 3, 2015 12:24 pm
As the party passes through the muddy area, Felor idly tries to identify the gourds to take his mind off his tired feet.

Nature check to ID the gourds (if I ID them as edible/tasty I grab a few.)

As they warily eye the barn and it's unseen occupants, Felor says:
"Well, it would be good to get out of this rain. I suggest one of us approach - unarmed - and ask for shelter."
Last edited November 3, 2015 12:24 pm, a total of 2 times

Rolls

Nature skill check - (1d20+3)

( 15 ) + 3 = 18

Nov 3, 2015 12:57 pm
"It's not going to be me." Mordred gestures to his horns.

"I can cover you from the underbrush, however." He unslings his short bow and slinks towards the barn.

Assuming the party goes along with that plan, I'll quietly approach the barn and Hide, otherwise I'll hang back until we decide what to do.
Last edited November 3, 2015 12:58 pm, a total of 1 time

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

( 15 ) + 5 = 20

Nov 3, 2015 5:10 pm
Felor identifies some foot-long poxnose squash that looks ripe enough to eat, though the party lacks the necessary seasonings to make its bitter taste more palatable.

Who wants to approach the barn?
Nov 3, 2015 5:29 pm
Someone with higher charisma than me...
Nov 3, 2015 5:52 pm
Quote:
I suggest one of us approach - unarmed - and ask for shelter.
"Go right ahead." Leth says, nodding at the barn. He's had his fill of talking to strangers today. Truth be told, he'd almost rather they set up their own camp a little further away than have to explain - again - who they are and what they're doing to someone they don't know, but it's getting late and it is starting to rain. The thought of a warm fire with a roof over head is a bit too tempting to pass up... But there's no reason he can't let someone else do the talking this time around.
Nov 3, 2015 10:44 pm
"Oh for the sake of the gods, I'll go!"

Vad, hands in his pockets, will approach the barn. Whistling a jaunty tune as he does so as not to surprise the barn dwellers.
Nov 3, 2015 11:15 pm
Vad approaches the barn. As he gets closer, he can see three figures seated around the fire, seemingly talking to others blocked from view. His jaunty tune trails off on a flat note, and he hesistates. Two of the figures are tall and gaunt, black of fur and dog-headed. The third figure, facing the open doorway, is a human male clad in leathers.

~MEANWHILE~

Inside the barn, negotiations are breaking down, and the fragile alliance between the two human wanderers and the Whelps of Great Fang is on the verge of collapse. With no more abandoned livestock to be found and all the highwaymen prowling the Sthombo Road dead or driven off, the Whelps have grown more and more insistent that village raids and slave-taking are their only available options left.

"We do not go west with you," Young Fang snarls. "You break with the pack, you forfeit your share to us. We give you to sunup to get out of our territory. Then you are enemy to us as any human."

One-Eye scrapes his claws against the edge of his flint axe. Suddenly, all three Whelps' heads turn towards the doorway in unison, their black ears pricking up. Young Fang is already on his feet when Zangua and Shamush see the shadowy figure approaching the barn...


Before Vad can even decide whether to continue forward or not, there is movement from the dog-headed men: their heads turn towards them, and one of them rises to standing, holding a length of chain loosely in one hand. The creature is skinny as a starved man but easily seven feet tall...

Vad can take an action here, as can Zangua, Shamush, and Mordred, who is hidden behind a thick clump of broad-leaved vines and can see some motion in the doorway. At this point, Leth and Felor aren't close enough to make out what exactly is going on in the barn, but they can see Vad stop walking. If Zangua and Shamush have any questions about their recent alliance-of-necessity with the Whelps of Great Fang, please ask me in the Character Concepts thread.
Nov 3, 2015 11:43 pm
Not at all what he was expecting Vad reaches for his cat statue and quickly performs a few quick hand gestures before casting a sleep spell into the middle of the pack of weird creatures. "We can sort this out while they're all snoozing!"

Rolls

HPs of Sleepy Time - (5d8)

( 4, 6, 4, 2, 1 ) = 17

Nov 3, 2015 11:50 pm
I'll wait for Zangua, Shamush, and Mordred to check in before we proceed with the results of Vad's sleep spell...
Nov 4, 2015 12:20 am
Zangua rises to a crouch, iron-shod club in hand. The Whelps will look for blood, that much is obvious, but this may be a chance to parlay if the cards are dealt right. He readies himself to action, but attempts to determine what kind of person the newcomer is.

Of course, seeing the newcomer's hand gestures, it seems fairly obvious there is some malicious, if not combative, intent. Zangua's eyes widen and he tries to jump back in order to gain some distance, while reaching for his hand crossbow slung at his waist.

OOC: Assuming it's Acrobatics to try and get out of the way?

Rolls

Acrobatics - (1d20+2)

( 13 ) + 2 = 15

Nov 4, 2015 1:05 am
Inside the barn, seated and leaning against a crooked beam is Shamush. He is a young man, lanky, but broad of shoulder. His face is angular, with sharp cheekbones and prominent nose. His head is shaved but for a thick thatch of long, greasy black strands that dangle into large, feverish dark eyes. His skin is a ruddy bronze. He wears, over his shoulders, a tattered cape of grey-brown fur, the hide of an animal long-since dead. A worn grey kilt of roughspun covers his crossed legs. A round wooden shield is slung across his back and a twisted club banded with metal spikes lay at his side, and pack behind that.

Presently he's holding an ear of corn and is intent on shucking it. A dented pot over a fire bubbles, some more corn floating in it. His expression is shows impatience and concentration on his task. He wags the ear of corn at the whelp that spoke, the husk rasping noisily. "Me and Zangua earned our share and we'll take it when we go. And go we will, too, yeah. We did some right good work together, but then you had to go and let your instincts get in the way of thinking clear and rational like. I suppose if we didn't part now, I'd wake up to one of you humping my leg before long."

He drops the corn into the pot and holds up a hand forestalling protest, and goes on, "We'll take our split and be on our separate ways tomorrow. Remember, me and Zangua pulled you and yours out of trouble not so long ago, before you start growling about this pack nonsense." The obvious tension in the barn seems to be taking a back seat to his hunger. He seems unconcerned about any imminent bloodshed. It takes him a moment to notice Vad, and he looks up with more curiosity than alarm.
Nov 4, 2015 2:25 am
Mordred will ready an action to shoot at anyone that makes an aggressive move towards Vad.

Rolls

Shortbow attack (pending) - (1d20+3)

( 12 ) + 3 = 15

Nov 4, 2015 6:23 pm
A sort of fast-moving fog emanates from Vad's gestures, snaking towards the campfire. Young Fang bares his teeth, snarls, and begins charging towards Vad, lifting his chain and swinging the heavy flanged weight on the end of it in rapidly accelerating circles. Zangua feels a strange pressure and tingling in his head as a powerful wave of drowsiness passes over him, but he resists it, and as quickly as it it came, it is gone. One-Eye slumps forward, instantly asleep. The third Whelp, Fox Face, springs to his feet and grabs his war-pick, but crouches at the doorway, unsure whether to follow Young Fang towards this strange intruder.

As Young Fang charges towards Vad, Mordred releases his bow, sending an arrow whistling to its mark...

Roll for damage, Mordred. You can always roll for damage at the same time you make an attack roll, to be applied if the attack roll succeeds.
Nov 4, 2015 6:29 pm
Oh yeah! Sorry!

Also, while I am thinking of it, if I remember correctly from an earlier combat, it is assumed that we retrieve ammo after combat, unless told otherwise. Is that correct?

And finally, since I assume we will be in Initiative after this surprise round, I'll roll that as well.
Last edited November 4, 2015 6:34 pm, a total of 2 times

Rolls

Arrow to the knee - (1d6+3)

( 1 ) + 3 = 4

Init - (1d20+3)

( 16 ) + 3 = 19

Nov 4, 2015 6:39 pm
Mordred's arrow strikes Young Fang in the thigh and he stumbles. "An ambush!" Fox Face snaps. He slinks back out of the doorway and presses himself against the wall. "Hide," he says to Zangua and Shamush. "We won't get caught in the open like that fool. And wake him up!" He nods at One-Eye.

Leth and Felor can see, now, that a 7' tall humanoid charged out of the barn and that Mordred shot it with an arrow.

Everybody roll initiative!

Rolls

Young Fang initiative - (1d20)

( 5 ) = 5

Fox Face initiative - (1d20)

( 8 ) = 8

Nov 4, 2015 6:51 pm
Zangua staggers, but keeps his bearing. The lean fighter shakes the effects from his head, and with a quick burst of his legs, he slides to one side of the barn and behind a hay bale and crate for cover. He brings up his hand crossbow, loads it with a bolt, then looks at Shamush with a raised eyebrow, jerking his head at Fox Face.

What should we do with him? Zangua's expression appears to indicate.

OOC Edit: Oops, was I supposed to add +2 from my DEX?
Last edited November 4, 2015 6:56 pm, a total of 2 times

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

( 16 ) = 16

1 of 44
1 2 3 > Last >>

Thread locked