Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Nov 4, 2015 6:52 pm
"What the hell happened to asking nicely for shelter?!" Leth yells out to Vad and Mordred as he draws his bow.

Rolls

initiative! - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Nov 4, 2015 6:58 pm
Yes, you get your Dex modifier on Initiative rolls.
Nov 4, 2015 7:44 pm
Shamush watches the scene unfold with some fascination. When the arrow hits Young Fang, he flinches in surprise. Quickly and deliberately, he unlimbers his scarred, wooden shield from his back. He holds the shield forward, protecting himself and the cookpot. Peering around the edge of the shield, he looks at Zangua and gives him a grin and a shrug, mouthing, "Wait and see?"

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Nov 4, 2015 8:15 pm
Felor, previously leaning on his spear as he watches the figures near the barn, springs into action as he sees Mordred open fire on the tall figure.
Last edited November 4, 2015 8:15 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(14) + 1 = 15

Nov 4, 2015 11:04 pm
Once initiative is resolved, as I may be AFK this evening:

This assumes the closest attacker is within 20 feet or so of Mordred. If not, he'll take another shot with his shortbow from cover.

"What the hell happened to asking nicely for shelter?!"

"It's not right for our idiom!" Mordred shouts as he charges the attacker. He swipes at the dog-man with his rapier, and just as quickly, moves away, back into the shadows.

I'll use my Cunning Action to Disengage after the melee attack to avoid an Attack of Opportunity, and use whatever is left of my movement (30') to get away from the big guy.
Last edited November 4, 2015 11:05 pm

Rolls

Rapier attack - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Rapier damage - (1d8+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Shortbow attack (if too far for melee) - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Arrow damage - (1d6+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Nov 4, 2015 11:54 pm
"Not as much juice in that spell as I had hoped!" Vad mumbles as he gets to work on his next trick.

Rolls

Initiative [+2] - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Nov 5, 2015 4:37 pm
Order of initiative is: Mordred, Zangua, Felor, Vad, Leth, Shamush, Fox Face, Young Fang. As Mordred is more than 20' away, we're going with his shortbow attack, which misses. The next players in the queue can take their actions.
Nov 5, 2015 4:52 pm
Zangua smirks at Shamush, then eyes the cookpot as if sight alone is enough to ensure its safety. Indeed, he decides to wait and remain behind cover, his hand crossbow pointed down at the floor for now. Conveniently enough, this complies with Fox Face's "order" to Hide.

Rolls

Hide - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Nov 5, 2015 4:58 pm
How far are Felor and Leth from the barn/dog guys?
Nov 5, 2015 5:25 pm
Far enough that you can't close to melee distance with Young Fang this turn, maybe like 100 yards or so?
Nov 5, 2015 5:50 pm
Felor bounds across the soggy ground towards the barn. Ugh, more sprinting! As he closes on the figures ahead of him, he calls on Fjorgyn to protect his compatriots while pointing his spear at the strange dog-headed man attacking Vad. The tip of his spear develops a golden glow, and a bolt of bright light shoots forth.

Move max distance towards the melee and cast Guiding Bolt at Young Fang. If it hits, the next attack roll against Young Fang has Advantage (lasts until my next turn but only for the next attack made, not all attacks against him).

Rolls

Guiding Bolt attack roll - (1d20+1)

(10) + 1 = 11

Guiding Bolt damage (radiant) - (4d6)

(1343) = 11

Nov 5, 2015 5:58 pm
It's not easy to aim at the dog-man's gaunt black frame in the dark, and Felor's Guiding Bolt shoots right past him.
Nov 5, 2015 6:59 pm
I'm a little fuzzy on where everyone is... can we get a quick placement run down? Also, is the barn door open so we can just see in from the outside?
Nov 5, 2015 7:52 pm
Here's a rough, not-entirely-to-scale sketch...from top to bottom, that's the barn, Young Fang, Vad, Mordred, Leth and Felor. You can see into the barn but Leth and Felor aren't close enough to make out detail.

http://i.imgur.com/HQZXQSm.jpg
Nov 5, 2015 8:04 pm
Felor ran towards Young Fang on his last turn, so he'd be closer than Leth, at the moment.
Nov 5, 2015 8:44 pm
EDIT: Oop, just realized I posted out of order. Vad goes before me. Sorry, ignore this for now! This will probably be my action after Vad goes, though.

Quote:
"It's not right for our idiom!"
"Your idiom, maybe!" Leth shouts back, a little flustered.

Bow drawn, and arrow nocked on the string, Leth advances forward, trying to make sense of the situation. As far as he can tell, Vad had just walked up to the barn, got spooked, and started casting spells, and then shortly afterward, this... whatever this thing was, came out of the barn, but had yet to actually attack anyone. So far nothing else was coming out of the barn either. It was entirely possible that Vad had provoked the inhabitants of the barn without cause; the dog-faced-man that they were looking at now was certainly enough to startle someone. Vad might be a shoot-first-ask-questions-later kind of guy, but Leth was not, and he didn't feel like making any more enemies today... Though at this point, it might be too late for that.

"Hold on just a minute! Can someone tell me what's going on?" Leth asks loudly at his fellow party members as he moves towards the barn, arrow at the ready and trained on the dog-man. "Who and why are we fighting?" They'd worked very hard to keep thievery and murder off of their list of actual crimes so far, against all odds, and Leth didn't want to start now.

Leth moves his max distance but doesn't attack anyone yet. He's got a readied action to shoot Young Fang (non-lethal) if he attacks them first.
Last edited November 5, 2015 9:11 pm
Nov 5, 2015 9:08 pm
In case I need to roll anything for my Readied attack:

Rolls

Attack Roll - (1d20+7)

(15) + 7 = 22

Damage roll (piercing) - (1d8+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Nov 5, 2015 10:36 pm
Vad raises his arm towards Young Fang and lets out a blast of frost hoping to both hurt and slow the beast down.

Rolls

Ranged Spell Attack [+5] - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Damage (plus speed reduction if hit) - (1d8)

(4) = 4

Nov 6, 2015 12:00 am
Young Fang yelps as the blast of frost excoriates him, but he keeps staggering towards Vad, swinging his weighted chain.

Waiting on an action from Shamush, then we'll proceed to the Whelps' actions, unless Leth feels he has sufficient cause to loose his arrow...
load next

Thread locked