Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Nov 12, 2015 4:14 am
Shamush squints hard and yells, "Eh, this mystical man of yours seems to working to piss off my doggish..." He looks at One Eye and Fox Face, a bit at a loss, "Well friends is putting a bit strongly, eh? Soon to be former business associates, let's say. I think they were about to rob my non-doggish friend and I, then put us out on our sorry asses. They aren't what you'd call friendly at the best of times, and flying arrows and flashy magics as a way of saying halloo haven't done much to get em smilin'."

He raises his eyebrows to Zangua, then looks to the dog-men and seems to decide something. He calls out to the strangers, "Look here, the dogs want you dead, and they want our money, so unless you're toying with us, I say we help you chase the dogs away and then sit down to have some corn. Got some on the boil here and it's looking pretty damned good." He bangs the edge of his shield against the pot with a clang.

"Fox Face, One-Eye... why don't you boys find your brother and just piss off, huh? We had some laughs, made a little coin, treed a few house cats for fun, but let's just go our own ways before you get killed. I'm thinking this group has got the means to do it, too." He shrugs, and sighs, "Us humans are just kind of a treacherous garbage people, you know?"

Shamush is trying to be persuasive!
Last edited November 12, 2015 4:15 am

Rolls

Persuasion vs the dogs - (1d20+1)

(13) + 1 = 14

Nov 12, 2015 11:16 am
"Aye! We don't want any trouble! Just a place to rest and eat some dinner!" Felor yells back as he advances slowly towards the barn.

Advance towards the barn but stop outside the doorway, giving the dog-guys space to scarper if they so choose. Ready an attack against either of the dog-guys if they attack.
Last edited November 12, 2015 11:16 am

Rolls

Spear attack vs closest target - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Spear attack damage (piercing) - (1d6+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Nov 12, 2015 4:54 pm
Mordred makes his way around to the rear of the barn, where a single small window is set about 15' up.

Fox Face and One-Eye look at Shamush, at each other, out at Vad and company, then back at each other again.

"A son of Great Fang never flees in the face of his foe," Fox Face snarls under his breath.

"One already has," One-Eye replies.

Fox Face growls, looks back at Shamush one last time, then makes a decision. He charges out of the barn towards Vad, war-pick raised high, where he finds Felor waiting with his weapon at the ready. As Felor drives his spear into Fox Face's belly, the dog-man swings his pick down at Felor's arms.

EDIT: The pickpoint lands squarely on Felor's bracers, sending a numbing shockwave up his arms, but doing no real damage.

Rolls

Attack vs Felor with war-pick - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Damage, if applicable - (1d8+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Nov 12, 2015 4:58 pm
One-Eye glares darkly at Shamush. "Go out and treat with your treacherous kin. Leave me to return to the pack."
Nov 12, 2015 8:23 pm
Seeing Fox Face rush towards Felor, Vad lets loose with another crossbow bolt.

Rolls

Crossbow Attack - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Crossbow Damage - (1d8+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Nov 12, 2015 10:22 pm
At close to point blank range, and with Felor somewhat in the way, Vad errs too much on the side of caution and sends a crossbow bolt whistling off into the distant corn.
Nov 12, 2015 10:37 pm
Zangua pops up, around his cover, and levels his hand crossbow at One-Eye. "You go," he mutters. His eyes are hard, ready to commit to the attack if need be.
Nov 13, 2015 4:52 pm
One-Eye glances down at the Whelps' sack of loot, just out of reach beyond the cookfire, then back at Zangua. "You planned this betrayal. I see that now. But you will be repaid one day. You will!" He lunges out of the doorway, drops into a roll, and takes off running, back towards the cornfield.

New round; Young Fang and One-Eye are in retreat while Fox Face remains in combat. Order is Mordred, Zangua, Felor, Vad, Leth, Shamush, Fox Face.
Nov 13, 2015 6:49 pm
Stowing his weapons securely, Mordred scales the rough-hewn siding of the barn and leans in through the window.

"Hello friends. No need to fear, as I am not as demonic in attitude as I am in appearance, and my companions have seen more than their share of trouble this day. We want nothing more than to share your fire for the night and depart peacefully in the morning. Would that be acceptable?"

Rolls

Climbing (if needed?) - (1d20-1)

(15) - 1 = 14

Nov 13, 2015 7:16 pm
Zangua is about to call out a parting insult to One-Eye, when a devil pokes its head in. He whirls around in surprise, hand crossbow raised at the intruder in the window. A part of him only barely recognizes the words spoken, not enough to discern the exact meaning. Zangua, does, however, stays his trigger as the context of the conversation indicates non-violence.

He remains wary.
Nov 16, 2015 10:39 am
Felor was getting the impression that the dog-men who were attacking them were merely confused, rather than malicious. With this in mind, he's reluctant to land a killer blow on his opponent, and instead opts to try and crack his opponent over the head with the end of his spear.

Spear attack against Fox Face, but going for a knock-out blow rather than a lethal one if it hits and reduces HP to 0.

Rolls

Spear attack vs Fox Face - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Spear attack damage (piercing) - (1d6+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Nov 16, 2015 6:07 pm
Felor forcefully thumps Fox Face upside the head with the butt of his spear, knocking him out cold.

Unless anyone wants to pursue the other dog-men, combat is over and anyone may take an action.
Nov 16, 2015 6:19 pm
"You'll want to step back, demon," growls Zangua at Mordred. The aimed crossbow does not waver. "If you're with the group outside, you can come in through the front door like decent folk."
Nov 16, 2015 6:28 pm
"Indeed." Mordred tells Zangua through the window. "Now that that bit of unpleasantness is past us, I believe we can all behave like humans."

He drops from the wall and attempts to waylay Vad, Leth, and Felor before they enter the barn. "I don't know how much we can trust this pair, but a night out of the rain would do us all some good, so why don't we try and make peace with them for now. Make no mention of Zora or the sphere, of course."
Nov 16, 2015 9:10 pm
Shamush relaxes, lowers his shield and returns most of his attention back to the cookpot. He waves off Zangua, laughing, "Oh come on now! We just spent time traveling with a bunch of fellows that were partly dog. If this man is part goat -- and less goat than the brothers were dogs-- I'm right sure we can accommodate him, eh? I've had more trouble with dogs than goats in my past, and that's the truth!"

He yells towards the others without looking up, "Kindly truss ole Fox Face up against a support beam and we'll call him insurance against his brothers trying to burn the place down around our ears while we sleep tonight." He stabs some corn with a pointed stick and lifts it out of the water to examine it. He smiles a gap-toothed smile and exclaims, "And speaking of ears, gather around the fire and we'll lend you ours! Ha!"
Nov 16, 2015 10:35 pm
Zangua grunts. He considers Shamush's words and nods, acknowledging the barbarian's outlook on life even when it's so different from his own. He releases the catch on his crossbow and removes the bolt, returning both to their respective places at his waist. Then he sits down at the cookpot, eager for dinner.
Nov 17, 2015 12:34 am
Felor quickly binds the unconscious dog-man, and ties him up to a beam inside the barn as suggested. Relieved that the two strangers seem to be friendly sorts, he relaxes a little, and lays down his spear and shield while he tends to the dog-man's wounds.

Joining the others at the camp fire and breaking out some rations, he addresses the two newcomers.
"So, friends, what part of this fine werld do you hail from?"
Nov 17, 2015 5:27 am
Leth listens to all of this unfold, and puts away his bow, as he follows the others into the barn. Still wondering what happened, but sensing that it really wasn't worth bringing up now that the situation was resolved, he decided to keep his comments to himself with the exception of a brief apology for being so quick to attack them. He finds a place to sit and begins eating some food he had packed, listening to the conversation.
Nov 18, 2015 4:28 pm
Shamush dumps a bunch of corn cobs onto the back of his shield, heedlessly spilling steaming water out along with it. He gingerly picks up a cob and starts gnawing on it with methodical messiness and relish. Clearly he's hungry. Finally, he says, his mouth flecked with mashed kernels, "Name's Shamush! I hail from Darcra. Used to be a lay brother in the Horizonist Sect of the Church of Selves, but then my temple got massacred while I was out on an errand. Quite the thing! Anyhow, I beat feet when I saw that and have been on the road since then. Met ole Zangua here on the way, and then the dogfellows later. We did... odd jobs together, let's say. I was seeking enlightenment and funding, but ain't got much out of it but flea bites, which don't count as legal tender in these parts at least."
Nov 18, 2015 4:36 pm
Zangua knows better than to waste time with introductions before he's gotten his share. He claims a cob and juggles it briefly to let it cool. His eating habits are akin to Shamush's as his teeth harvest the kernels with abandon.

Finally, he thinks to speak. "Zangua," he says, indicating himself. "From the south. Used to bash heads for regular pay until things went... well, south. Headed north this way and hooked up with Shamush." Zangua picks spilled corn from his stubble and pops them back into his mouth, wasting nothing.
load next

Thread locked