Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Dec 11, 2015 7:40 pm
Fox Face remains seated, glaring up at Zangua with murder in his eyes. He does not say anything or move.
Dec 13, 2015 7:19 am
Leth, having woken up, packed his things, and had a small bite to eat, was now standing nearby while they released Fox Face, bow in hand. He watches the events unfold but does not seem particularly interested. He is lost in his own thoughts, contemplating the plan for the day and trying to decide if it really was the best way to go about things.

My concern is that if Leth, Felor, or Vad go to the rendezvous, they might be recognized and throw the whole plan. In general, I think Leth would prefer to simply just keep looking for Zora, or at least look for signs of her camp and try to track her from there, but if he's out-voted, he won't fight it.
Last edited December 13, 2015 7:21 am
Dec 15, 2015 4:07 pm
Zangua returns the gaze, steeled in his resolve. He lets the others break camp while he wards against the gnoll, bringing to mind some of the dark tasks committed while in its company. Zangua's grip tightens on his weapon.

OOC: I realized that we never really determined a facing. Can I assume that I've interposed myself between Fox Face and the exit?

Rolls

Intimidation - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Dec 15, 2015 4:53 pm
My concern is that if Leth, Felor, or Vad go to the rendezvous, they might be recognized

That's fair. I strongly think we should go to that meeting, as we need all the info we can get on the SPC. Mordred will go, and ask the others to array themselves around the area where the meeting is taking place. Some relatively close by, some spaced out to provide ranged support and track the SPC as they leave the meeting. I'd suggest Shamush and Zangua close by (but still as concealed as possible) and the other three on the perimeter. If anyone else wants to come with Mordred, I won't object, but Leth might be right about being recognized.

If people really want to continue the search, we could split the party. While it's generally a bad idea, I think in this case it is defensible (and easier to technically implement than an in-person game -- we could just set up a side forum, right Octo?). We could arrange a time and a place to meet in, say, three days. I'd rather we all stick together though.
Dec 15, 2015 7:27 pm
Fox Face gets up slowly and slinks toward the burlap sack holding his meager possessions.

Zangua is between Fox Face and the front entrance. There is a boarded up doorway in the back of the barn that he could probably bust through, if he had a running start.
Dec 16, 2015 7:32 pm
Unless somebody objects to Fox Face retrieving his stuff, he's going to grab his sack and bolt for the front entrance. Once his fate is determined, we will move on to the journey to the village, unless anybody has any other business here.
Dec 16, 2015 7:34 pm
Zangua allows Fox Face to recover his items. He waits until the party has left the barn before following them out, maintaining his vigil and keeping Fox Face inside. His primary purpose is ensuring that Fox Face does not try to harm the rest of the party as the gnoll leaves.
Dec 17, 2015 5:14 pm
Fox Face grabs his pack and runs for it.

The morning is chilly, with a light drizzle of rain. Wandering through the mud and vines for a while, the party finds an old farm trail that aims them generally southwest, towards the village.

We are going to do something here that I picked up from CowboyCentaur's 5e game on Twitter, I can't remember what he called it, so I'm just going to refer to it as an Ability Check Throwdown:

1. Each one of you gets to make an ability check of your choice. You invent the justification for doing so. I.E. you do an Animal Handling check to catch a snake bare-handed, you do a Nature check to identify a plant you can eat, you do an Acrobatics check to hop up on a boulder to get a better look into the distance, whatever. Your DM will determine whether the checks succeed or not by assigning a difficulty rating after you make your ability check roll.

2. Each of you can do this twice, but unless everybody else has already gone, you can't roll two times in a row, you have to wait for somebody else to make a check before you can go again.

3. The winner of the Ability Check Throwdown will be determined by DM discretion, but the success of your checks will be a major factor. The prize is the temporary favor of the Old Gods of Bload, which you can cash in for Advantage on any one future roll of your choice.

4. The Throwdown is over in 48 hours, or after everybody has made two checks, whichever comes first. Good luck!
Dec 17, 2015 5:30 pm
Zangua scouts the areas surrounding the trail, acting as both guide and tracker. He assesses the weather and keeps a look-out for game and fresh water.

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Dec 17, 2015 5:39 pm
Zangua: Survival: Success!

A slight breeze picks up, and the force of the drizzle varies -- nonexistent for a few minutes, then spattering your brow. Zangua expects more of the same throughout the day.

Water is no issue; it's not hard to find places where fresh rainwater has collected. Tall cranes stalk patches of ground where snakes and frogs are in abundance, and the occasional hare bounds across the trail. Zangua knows that the earthworms squirming up from the wet ground under their feet are edible as well.
Dec 17, 2015 8:27 pm
Chewing on a tasty earthworm, Mordred passes the time hiking down the trail by practicing his sleight of hand - passing a coin over his knuckles and back again.

Rolls

Magic! (Sleight of hand) - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Dec 17, 2015 8:48 pm
Mordred: Sleight of Hand: Success!

Mordred is really nailing that coin trick today.
Dec 18, 2015 4:16 am
As the group walks the trail Vad decides to entertain them with harrowing tails from his past; some of which may actually be true. During some of the more exciting bits he'll move to the front of the party and act out exactly what happened so that everyone understands just how truly amazing he was in those dire situations.

Rolls

Performance - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Dec 18, 2015 10:25 am
Haha this is an awesome idea!

As Felor trudges through the drizzle listening to Vad's tall tales, his eyes wander over the flora by the path. He tries to identify any plants with useful properties - medicinal or culinary.

Rolls

Nature skill check - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Dec 18, 2015 1:40 pm
Slightly intimidated by all the nature around him, Mordred decides climbing a tree doesn't look all that different from shimmying up a drain pipe, and when he sees a nice tall straight one, he clambers up, to see if the party is being followed and to check for ambushes ahead.

Rolls

Acrobatics - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Dec 18, 2015 5:58 pm
Vad: Performance: Success!
Felor: Nature: Fail.
Mordred: Acrobatics: Success!

While Vad captivates the party with the story of how he escaped from the bone-cult of Ulduv by levitating the very fossils they worshipped out of their holy-of-holies (Vad had thought they would take this as a sign that their god was angry with them, but they just begged him not to damage the relics and promised him release if he would put them back), Felor searches for something useful among the weeds and stunted crops flanking the path, to no avail.

Finding a windbreak of poplars that have been dead for some time, Mordred shimmies up the sturdiest-looking one to scout around. Sliding down and leaping off as soon as he hears the rotten trunk begin to crack, he reports seeing only a lone horse a mile or so to the south, idling in a dirt field.
Dec 19, 2015 4:43 am
Leth is only half paying attention to the antics of his travelling companions - he is more focused on the nature around them. He inhales deeply and gives a faint smile as he is reminded why he left his home. He could never get enough of this.

He turns his attention to the ground around them and decides to stretch his hunting muscles a bit. He begins looking for any signs of wildlife around them, perhaps there was some game to hunt. Had any animals been through here recently? If so, what kind of animals? And how many of them? These were all things he had been trained to look for from a young age, and he began surveying the surrounding area with a keen eye...

Rolls

Tracking (Survival) (...or investigation, the bonus is the same) - (1d20+4)

(10) + 4 = 14

Dec 20, 2015 11:09 pm
Shamush enjoys the open air as the group moves along. At times he's quiet and watchful, glancing over his shoulder occasionally, perhaps keeping an eye out for the odd vengeful pack of dog men on their trail. Occasionally he'll start talking, to anyone, really. Felor's herb-hunting gets his attention and he pesters the man about any hallucinogenic plants and fungus that may be around. Clearly he's eager to learn more about such things. He shows Felor the remains of his personal stock and relays to anyone who will listen on the strange visions he's experienced over the years. Which then leads him to the Church of Selves, whose complicated philosophy he talks about at length, though digressions are frequent and often devolve into stories about his mean and violent existence as what seems to amount to muscle for one schismatic school of the Church in Darcra.

Shamush will try and sound fairly coherent in discussion the tenets of his school of the cult of Selves. This is both to look good and in a sense quiz himself, making sure he remembers what was beat into him as a youth.

Rolls

Religion - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Dec 21, 2015 4:58 pm
Having told all of his best stories Vad starts to burn off some of his excess sorcerous energy by drawing his dagger and flipping it around. The dagger twirls and flips in his hand at unnatural speeds at times giving off a green or orange glow. "Hmmm, I wonder what tricks I could manage without using my powers!"

Extending his arm in front of him he holds his dagger by the tip and starts to flip it in his hand attempting the same tricks as he would normally perform (albeit at much slower speed and without the glow) without using any of his natural sorcerous power.

Wizard = Wizardly
Sorcerer = Sorcererly? (Sounds way wrong)

EDIT: Sorcerous - Thanks, CM.
Last edited December 21, 2015 5:31 pm

Rolls

Acrobatics - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

Dec 21, 2015 5:10 pm
As the group continues its march, it is inevitable that someone would ask Zangua about himself. He deflects very personal questions and provides generic answers which, while certainly truthful to an extent, don't implicate him in anything specific.

"I was a soldier, standard infantry. I think I spent more time staring at the back of a wall on guard duty, more than the eyes of any enemy. Training was good, and in fact I met some of my best friends during basic. But I lost contact with them after we were disbanded.

"Yeah, our unit was no longer needed; some cost-cutting measure some high-nosed noble thought up. No sense in paying people to guard walls, I guess."
szemely says:
Sorcerer = Sorcererly? (Sounds way wrong)
Sorcerous.
Last edited December 21, 2015 5:12 pm

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+1)

(17) + 1 = 18

load next

Thread locked