Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Dec 30, 2015 3:52 pm
Hearing the fisherman's offer, Felor nods at Zangua.
As he approaches the hut, he glances over the fisherman's equipment.
"Spear fishing, I see. How's goes the harvest this time of year?"
Felor doesn't know spear-fishing exactly, but he knows spears and he knows living off the land.

Attempt to make conversation with the fisherman and discuss fishing, drawing on my knowledge of Survival skills.
Last edited December 30, 2015 3:52 pm

Rolls

Survivial skill check - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

Dec 30, 2015 5:39 pm
Mordred whiffed his Stealth roll. None of you can be sure just how much the fisher is seeing from under that hat, but you're all basically visible from their vantage point.

"Harvest? You don't harvest fish, fellow. You catch them. Heh, heh! Heh! Now, the whisker-fish are fat this time of year. The mud-walkers don't come out to be caught until the spring." The fisher reaches into a basket and pulls out a spiny, many-clawed thing as big as their own forearm, which arches its back and squirms furiously as they hold it aloft. "Now see this? Biggest Hound of Achel ever I caught! But I'm saving this one, yes. Must wait to harvest the roe when it ripens before we eat her. Now the roe you harvest, you see how that works? But you cannot harvest fish. Heh. Go on inside. I'll get to cooking your supper."
Dec 30, 2015 6:16 pm
Felor nods sagely as the fisherman explains, not many big rivers like this in the mountains - up there the best you'll get out of a mountain stream is a small crustacean - so it's good to get some local knowledge.
"Thank you sir, I look forward to the stew." With that, he heads inside.
Dec 30, 2015 6:37 pm
Felor was sort of hoping the hut was one of those looks-smaller-from-the-outside things, but once inside, he can see that it will be a very tight fit for the entire party to sleep in there. There's a tall set of shelves made from bamboo and twine in one corner, full to overflowing with baskets, nets, line, hooks, and other fishing implements; in the other corner is a large woven basket stuffed with clothes, rags, and blankets. In the middle of the room there's a straw mat on the ground, presumably where the fisher sleeps, and by the wall opposite the door there's a large rectangular basket fitted with a lid. The whole space is probably not bigger than nine by twelve feet.
Dec 30, 2015 6:39 pm
Zangua allows the others to sleep in the hut, should they choose. In the meantime, he will help the fisher and the group prepare a meal by gathering firewood. He will remain outside when it's time to sleep, keeping watch for a bit.
Dec 30, 2015 6:51 pm
The fisher never leaves their boat to prepare the meal. First they build a fire in a little brass pot which they shelter from the rain under an overturned basket, then set a flat stone on the pot while they scale and gut a few plump brown catfish. Humming an odd tune, the fisher splays the fish out and sets them to fry on the hot stone, turning them frequently and seasoning them with powders and oils they produce from pockets in their clothes.

Zangua stands watching this, glad the fisher had no need of his firewood, as there wasn't much to gather nearby anyway.

"You there," the fisher says. "Pick seven large leaves of salt-lettuce, if you will. The fish is nearly done."
Dec 30, 2015 6:55 pm
Zangua hunts around for the requested plant. He also tries to commit the cooking technique to memory, which is liable to come in handy later.

Rolls

Nature - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Dec 30, 2015 8:06 pm
Zangua finds some salt-lettuce nearby, picks seven large leaves, and brings them to the boat.

"Gather, guests, gather," the fisher calls. "Supper is ready." They pluck fish off the stone with their hands and portion it into the leaves. "Eat only fish and plants, this is the secret to good health. Do not eat bread! Bread is a corrupt food. I would strike it from the Werld if the gods gave me that power. Who taught us the secret of bread-making? It was not Semla. It was Orcus! Bread-making is a devil's art. Come, all of you, and eat."
Dec 30, 2015 10:35 pm
Vad, out of hiding for some time now, takes a place with the others when he fish is being handed out. "Many thanks!"
Dec 31, 2015 3:10 pm
BullOctorok says:
Who taught us the secret of bread-making? It was not Semla. It was Orcus! Bread-making is a devil's art. Come, all of you, and eat.
At that, Mordred decides to hang back, spotted or not, and make do with some salt-lettuce grubs. Perhaps the others will make his excuses, if the fisher decides to ask about their hooded companion.
Last edited December 31, 2015 3:10 pm
Dec 31, 2015 5:31 pm
Vad finds the fish pretty tasty, and in fact wishes there was more.

"Your shy companion," the fisher says, pointing at Mordred. "Why does he not come? He is a guest as well. He must eat."
Dec 31, 2015 5:38 pm
Felor enjoys his share of the stew. Ruminating on the fisherman's comments about bread-making, he tries to recall what he knows of Semla and Orcus.

Rolls

Religion skill check - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Dec 31, 2015 5:55 pm
(It's not a stew! It's a lettuce wrap! Now how do we handle a critical fail on a Religion check...)

Felor finds himself a bit short-handed where knowledge of Semla and Orcus are concerned. Neither are attested in Jerma. He recalls the temple to Semla in Sthombo and knows her to be some sort of mother or earth goddess, but gave her a wide berth because her sphere of influence seemed similar enough to Fjorgyn's that to take an interest would have felt disloyal to him. Orcus is a total blank.
Dec 31, 2015 5:58 pm
Failed my culinary check as well I guess. Critical Relgion fail - maybe I forget something, ha!
Dec 31, 2015 7:16 pm
BullOctorok says:
It's a lettuce wrap!
That's a long way to come for an Admiral Ackbar joke.

Mordred attempts to make a generically inoffensive prayer/thanks gesture.
Last edited December 31, 2015 7:17 pm
Dec 31, 2015 7:37 pm
As soon as it becomes apparent that the fisherman is just that - a fisherman - Leth abandons his attempts to stay out of sight and follows the party to the house.
Quote:
"Your shy companion," the fisher says, pointing at Mordred. "Why does he not come? He is a guest as well. He must eat."
Leth glances at Mordred, then back to his food, trying to appear nonchalant. "He prefers to do things in his own way; he means no harm or offense. Besides... I think he mentioned something about being allergic to fish."

Not wanting to give the fisherman much time to think about it or respond, he quickly continues, changing the subject. "We're extremely grateful that you would open up your home and pantry to us... Such kindness is a little rare these days. I won't stand to let such generosity go un-reciprocated; what can we do to thank or repay you?"
Last edited January 7, 2016 2:40 am

Rolls

Do I have to make a deception roll? I probably have to make a deception roll. - (1D20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

Dec 31, 2015 8:14 pm
"Come now. Allergic? What is that? If he is to receive guest-rights with the rest of you, he must stop hiding himself and--"

The fisher stops abruptly.

"Ahhhh, ah-ah-ah. I think I understand. Well, have no fear. Old Welg sees nothing, says nothing. Let, ah, him come and sup with us if he wishes. Or not. But I shall say no more. I only ask that you not linger here long in the morning."
Dec 31, 2015 8:39 pm
Do I know what Guests' Rights imply as far as reciprocation? Zangua will add whatever food he has if it's the custom.
Jan 4, 2016 12:13 am
Guest-rights vary from place to place, but you doubt you're expected to share your travel provisions.
Jan 4, 2016 12:25 am
"Tell me, friend" Felor says to the fisherman when he's finished the dinner, "Have you seen many travellers pass by this way headed south, recently?"
load next

Thread locked