Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Jan 4, 2016 3:44 am
"Oh, no. Most travelers travel by road. I only see those who stray from the path. Heh heh, heh!"
Jan 4, 2016 11:55 pm
....Are allergies a thing in D&D? I didn't really think about it haha

Leth is worried for a moment that the fisherman will try to push the issue further, but is relieved when he finally relents... even if it's not quite for the reason he was hoping. Still, as long as Mordred doesn't have to reveal himself, he should be okay. Less tense now, he begins to enjoy his meal a bit more earnestly.

"This is delicious; thank you very much."
Last edited January 7, 2016 2:39 am
Jan 5, 2016 3:02 am
Zangua lets the others eat and converse. He remains near the back of the crowd, content to listen and observe.
Jan 5, 2016 1:05 pm
Now I'm curious as to what the fisher thinks is Mordred's deal. As much as possible, without raising any suspicion or making himself too visible to the fisher, Mordred will try to check things out around the cabin to make sure everything is on the up-and-up and there is no evidence of the Six-Pointed Crown.

EDIT: Dang.
Last edited January 5, 2016 1:05 pm

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20)

(8) = 8

maybe Insight? - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

or Perception? idek - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Jan 5, 2016 1:49 pm
BullOctorok says:
"Oh, no. Most travelers travel by road. I only see those who stray from the path. Heh heh, heh!"
"And do many stray?"
Jan 5, 2016 8:02 pm
Let's see if I can do better rolling a d8 instead of a d20.

EDIT: much!
Last edited January 5, 2016 8:02 pm

Rolls

Sheer futility - (1d8)

(6) = 6

Bad luck - (1d8+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

"Getting the ones out" - (1d8)

(7) = 7

Jan 5, 2016 8:25 pm
thedandyman says:
....Are allergies a thing in D&D? I didn't really think about it haha
They exist, certainly, but aren't really medically understood.

Mordred doesn't see anything suspicious!
notinventedhere says:
"And do many stray?"
"Oh...not often. But I have company from hunters and wanderers on rare occasion. Now. You may all have my house to yourselves for the night. I will remain in my boat and fish for night-fish. I am well-accustomed to sleeping upright in my boat when the need takes me, so worry not for me!"

If anyone has any questions for the fisher before turning in for the night, speak now.
Jan 5, 2016 9:11 pm
Zangua speaks, finally, a question. "Has anyone ventured through here or took shelter with you, sometime in the past... Oh, I don't know." He looks to Mordred, Felor, Leth, and Vad to fill in the blank. "... Week? Two weeks?"
Jan 5, 2016 9:48 pm
"Only a searcher, looking for something lost, heh...but of course, I haven't seen what he was looking for. And I quite doubt I will." The fisher gives the brim of their hat a little tug.
Jan 5, 2016 10:29 pm
Looking up from his meal and while continuing to chew Vad asks "What was he looking for?"
Jan 5, 2016 10:35 pm
The fisher hesitates a moment. "You know, I can't even seem to remember, now. A runaway servant, I think it was. Yes. No-one of consequence. Nobody I should expect to find."
Jan 5, 2016 11:09 pm
A man searching for someone... searching for Zora, perhaps? Thinks Felor. Or it could be nothing. Coincidence.
Jan 5, 2016 11:25 pm
Mordred thinks there is more to this fisher than there appears. Perhaps an apparent threat will reveal their true colors.

Mordred uses Thaumaturgy to mimic the sound of a dangerous swamp creature behind the boat.
Jan 5, 2016 11:46 pm
I'm gonna need some specificity on what kind of swamp creature you're imitating. You can assume Mordred would have at least a passing knowledge of the sounds of water buffalo, crocodiles, snapping turtles, giant snakes, axebeaks, bears, wolves, and anything else you can make a plausible case for.
Jan 6, 2016 3:08 pm
Yeah, I wasn't sure what we were dealing with in terms of fauna. How about a stealthy water-based predator, like a crocodile. Something that might make a distinctive sound (a tail slap on the water?) but could plausibly disappear under the water quickly, so it wouldn't be obvious that the sound was artificial. I'll throw a couple of dice, in case they are relevant...

Rolls

Nature (what does the 'gator say?) - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Deception - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Jan 6, 2016 6:16 pm
Now, we have to assume Mordred isn't drawing attention to himself as he casts, so none of the other party members are going to immediately know that the crocodile sound isn't real. However, some of you will be facing the fisher, and will be able to see the lack of motion behind them, which should allow you to figure out there's some trickery involved here. I'll let you decide for yourselves how you want to play your reaction to the sound.

A loud snort and slap on the water's surface sounds behind the fisher, who jerks around quickly to look. "By the gods! Did you hear that?" they ask.
Jan 6, 2016 6:49 pm
Zangua stands and looks out over the water. Sitting at the perimeter, he knows there was no movement, but he did not notice any spell-casting as he is not familiar with it to begin with.

"What lives in these waters, sir?" asks Zangua of the fisherman.
Jan 6, 2016 7:15 pm
"There are many-toothed lizards, great of size, that hunt in the marshes...did you catch a look at it?" the fisher says, scanning around behind the boat. "It would be strange to see one as far north as this, but strange things occur on the face of the Werld at every moment..."
Jan 7, 2016 2:39 am
Is the fisher male or female? Or can we tell? We keep saying "fisherman", but I've noticed you keep saying "fisher" and using the "they" pronoun, so I'm not sure if I missed something...

Leth, who had been almost wholly engrossed in his food and his thoughts, almost leaps at the sudden sound, and narrowly avoids dropping the rest of his food on the ground. He gives a concerned look towards his companions and the fisher, and reaches a hand up towards his bow, slung over his shoulder. "Should we go look for it?"

Also, are we inside, or outside?
Last edited January 7, 2016 5:32 am
load next

Thread locked