Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Jan 7, 2016 3:14 am
Outside. You can't tell whether the fisher is male or female. What little you've seen of their face from under the hat is pale, hairless, and wrinkled, but certainly human.
Jan 7, 2016 9:50 am
Felor rolls his eyes at Mordred's display of minor magicks, but says nothing.
Jan 7, 2016 6:16 pm
"Strange...very strange," the fisher says. "I will keep my eyes open to see if that whatever-it-was returns. If it does, I may join you inside. Or perhaps sleep on on the roof! Heh! But worry not for me, take your rest."
Jan 7, 2016 6:20 pm
Zangua will sleep outside and allow the party to take advantage of the shelter provided.
Jan 7, 2016 8:23 pm
Given the Fisher's apparent lack of concern, Leth decides that whatever it was, it was probably not a terrible threat. He relaxes a bit and returns his attention to what little bit of food he has left to eat.

Leth will sleep inside as long as there is enough room for him, but if there is not, he has no problem sleeping outside, having done so on many occasions on hunting trips through the years.
Jan 7, 2016 8:50 pm
True to their word, the fisher lets their boat drift out of the reeds by the hut and into more open water, and sends out a few lines and spears a few slow-moving catfish as the night progresses. They keep turning their head toward the place where the animal sound was heard, but with no further signs of the beast, seem not too concerned.

Those of you who sleep inside the hut find it cramped but reasonably comfortable. Zangua, sleeping outside, is fortunate that the rain abates for the night.

(Last call for actions before we advance to the morning!)
Jan 7, 2016 9:00 pm
Mordred stays outside as well, and suggests trading off keeping watch to Zangua. Mordred will take first watch, if that sounds good to the fighter.
Jan 8, 2016 12:51 am
Vad will make some space inside and roll out his bed roll.
Jan 8, 2016 12:53 am
Zangua looks a bit concerned at being alone with Mordred, but decides it's likely as good chance as any. "So," he begins, as the night settles in. "What the hell are you? I mean, what's with this and this?" he adds, placing two fingers against his forehead and then swishing his hand out from his backside.
Last edited January 8, 2016 12:53 am
Jan 8, 2016 1:07 pm
Mordred is taken aback for a moment. He knew his kind was rare, but had yet to meet someone who was completely unfamiliar. "Hell, indeed. I am a tiefling. Somewhere in my ancestry is an infernal being of great power, and the ripples are felt down unto my generation. It was on my father's side, and I never knew him, so the source of my..." he does the finger horns like Zangua, "is as much of a mystery to me as it is to you. My mother died when I was very young, and I was orphaned, so never had the chance to find out more. There are others like me. A few on Bload, and more in the rest of the Werld. I'm told there is a sizeable community in Hafer, but it's just a rumor." He pauses, understanding finally what Zangua was really asking.

"You can trust me, Zangua. I'm no angel, as is obvious, but I am honorable and I keep my word. Especially where Zora Kells is concerned. She saved me from a life of torment when I was a young orphan, and I will do anything to keep her safe."
Last edited January 8, 2016 1:07 pm
Jan 8, 2016 2:16 pm
Back in the countryside, Felor felt more at peace than he had been during their time in the hustle and bustle of Sthombo. Taking a few minutes as the others prepare for bed and Zangua and Mordred talk outside, Felor walks about 20 meters away to the edge of the swamp. He kneels down, closing his eyes and listening to the sounds around him. The slap of water against the fisherman's boat, the chirp of unseen insects, the rustle of a breeze in the trees. Taking a deep breath he smells the swamp, the faint fragrance of salt-lettuce, a whiff of fish from the boat.
As he kneels, he murmurs a prayers to Fjorgyn, reasserting his service to Her and asking for Her continued blessing on his journey.
When his meditations are done, he retires to bed inside the hut.
Jan 8, 2016 3:00 pm
Zangua listens, impassively. After a moment of seemingly indifferent silence, he grunts. "Huh. Well, I just spent several months with a pack of dogs, so a... teeth-ling?... isn't that far out of the ordinary. I guess." With that, he tucks into his bedroll for rest until his watch.
Jan 8, 2016 4:51 pm
As Zangua and Mordred finish their conversation, they become aware that the fisher has been still and silent for several moments, and sits with their face toward them. You had thought that they were far enough away that they couldn't hear your conversation, but perhaps you were mistaken.
Jan 9, 2016 12:51 am
Did you two want to pursue anything with the fisher, or just roll over and go to sleep and pretend nothing happened?
Jan 9, 2016 2:30 am
"My good man," says Zangua, calling out to the fisher in a normal volume (the same used when speaking to Mordred), "out of curiosity, what sort of catch do you get at night?"
Jan 9, 2016 2:51 am
The fisher does nothing for a moment, then by way of reply holds up a short fishing-spear with a fat marsh frog squirming half-heartedly at the end of it. "Frogs," they say. "Mud-walkers. Lordly prawn. Moon fish."
Jan 9, 2016 3:02 am
So we were audible enough for their ears, and they didn't respond to gender. Oh well, nothing that can be done about it now.

Zangua nods after his momentary thought process. He turns and sleeps with one eye open.
Jan 9, 2016 6:17 am
rocksteady says:
Well, shit.
My reaction exactly hahaha
Last edited January 9, 2016 6:17 am
Jan 9, 2016 10:17 pm
The morning comes bright, cold, and clear. The fisher paddles up to the hut as the party rouses themselves and offers up a long stiff reed with more than a dozen fat frogs and prawns skewered on it. "You'll want to be on your way quickly, I am guessing. Here. I have caught you breakfast. May you journey in good health."
load next

Thread locked