Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Jan 15, 2016 3:23 pm
Felor could find a spot by the pond from which he could see the crown house, maybe 3-4 rounds away.

Who wants to inquire about the crown?
Jan 15, 2016 3:31 pm
Under the pretense of a curious tourist and passerby, Zangua will ask the innkeeper about the house with the unique mark.

He will also buy a drink, and slip the innkeeper a few extra for her answers.
Jan 15, 2016 4:56 pm
The innkeeper pours Zangua a drink with one hand while handing her baby off to one of the older children, back from their skiff expedition on the pond. "That's the Tuell house," she says. "Carpenters. Jeb and Little Jeb rebuilt most of this place after the last fifty-year flood." She raps her knuckles on the bar. "But Little Jeb died of a fall two summers ago, it's just Jeb and his widow daughter now. The symbol? That's his builder's mark, isn't it? That's what I always took it for." She shrugs. "What's your interest, anyway?"
Jan 15, 2016 5:20 pm
"Just seemed like it was special, given that no one else seems to have one," answers Zangua. He tries to remember if the inn had a similar mark on its door. "Honestly, I had never heard of a carpenter making a mark like that. I'd have thought it'd have more... I don't know, hammer and a saw, maybe."

Zangua takes a swig of the drink, and continues, "I have need of a carpenter's services, actually. We had a wagon break a wheel several miles back on the road, which is why we've come here on foot at such an hour. Is Jeb open for business?"
Jan 15, 2016 5:30 pm
Somebody pipes up behind you. "Gort Law was fixing his cart wheel outside the holy house this afternoon. You should ask him! Jeb Tuell's got the shakes now, he's not much good for real work these days." Zangua turns to see the speaker, a lanky man with shaggy blond hair and a nose that looks like it's been broken a few times.

The innkeeper tilts her head back and forth, as if to signal that the question of whether Gort Law or Jeb Tuell is a better choice for wagon wheel repair is not a matter on which she is going to render an opinion. "This isn't the Hazard tradesmans' district, fella. There's no 'open for business.' You can knock on Jeb's door, and he'll decide if he feels like dealing with you or not." She chuckles, and so do a few of the other patrons who've been listening in on your conversation.

The inn did not have any obvious symbolic markings on its door.
Jan 15, 2016 5:35 pm
Zangua smiles, a display of embarrassment. "Sorry, I am new to these parts." He lifts his drink in salute to the room to acknowledge his ignorance. "I will think about asking, then. Thanks."
Jan 15, 2016 5:37 pm
You have about an hour til dusk at this point.
Jan 15, 2016 8:56 pm
The plan so far: Zangua and Mordred approach the house, Felor is nearby fishing in the pond, Shamush, Vad, and Leth are stationed at an undetermined location nearby, or possibly at the inn.

We need to determine if anyone wants to make alterations to that plan, and if not, clarify where Shamush/Vad/Leth will be positioned. Also, does Zangua or anyone else have any other questions for the innkeeper or other villagers?
Jan 15, 2016 9:09 pm
"You've obviously got the pulse on the village," Zangua says to the innkeeper. "How are things here? I am... and pardon me for saying, but I am sensing a rather... morose vibe. Do you have trouble?"
Jan 15, 2016 9:11 pm
Felor relishes the local ale after their long trek, and when he's finished heads next door to purchase a fishing rod and line. He then heads outside to find a suitable fishing spot next to the pond with a clear sight-line to the marked hut. Making himself comfortable, he raises his hood to hide his face.
Jan 15, 2016 9:16 pm
The innkeeper gives Zangua a bemused look. "No more trouble than the sort that always find common folk, stranger. Things are fine here. If you don't like how we are, you're welcome to drag your wagon down to Headlee."

Felor, that's 5 silver for just the rod or 1 gold if you want bait, hooks, extra line, etc. You can fake-fish with just the rod but if you're going Method here, give me a Survival roll to see if you catch anything.
Jan 15, 2016 9:20 pm
I'll take the whole package then for 1G.

Rolls

Survivial skill check - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Jan 15, 2016 9:26 pm
After about twenty minutes of fishing Felor feels a tug on his line and pulls in a seven-inch bullhead.
Jan 15, 2016 10:23 pm
Vad will stick at the inn for now. He does have the ability to disguise himself if that might come in handy at some point.
Jan 15, 2016 10:51 pm
Let's have Shamush join Mordred and Zangua, and the others can wait with Felor to "see if he's caught anything". The three of us can hold out for a few rounds if need be.
Jan 15, 2016 11:25 pm
The old "anything biting?" routine, eh? Love it! Let's do it.
Jan 15, 2016 11:27 pm
Are you knocking on the door immediately, or just waiting by the house?
Jan 16, 2016 1:54 am
Shamush buys more beer and carts a few tankards out to Felor, to share among themselves. He says, "This stuff isn't half bad! Not sure as I'd name a town after it, but it goes down smooth enough." Seeing the fish the cleric caught he says, "Bet we could get the cook at the inn to fry that fellow up for us."

Acting caaaaaasual.
Jan 16, 2016 5:36 pm
When the others are ready, Zangua approaches the house, with the intent to wait. He keeps an eye out for anything out of the ordinary, anything unexpected.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

load next

Thread locked