Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Jan 16, 2016 6:45 pm
As the evening light fades, the door to the house swings open. A man of about sixty, balding, with dark bags under his eyes stands in the entrance.

"Come inside," he says.
Jan 17, 2016 8:37 pm
Do we just go in, or gather the others by the pond first?
Jan 18, 2016 1:25 pm
I think we're just supposed to hang out looking like random guys unconnected to Zangua and Mordred (although the house's occupant may well have seen us all arrive together), while keeping an eye out in case things Go Bad. Also Leth, Vad, and Felor might be recognised.
Jan 18, 2016 5:04 pm
Zangua is slightly off-put by the man's invitation, but he supposes that word travels fast in a small village, or their approach was just that obvious. He strides forward and asks, quietly, "You the woodworker, Jeb?"
Jan 18, 2016 6:22 pm
I'm worried about going inside without the whole group together.
Last edited January 18, 2016 6:23 pm
Jan 18, 2016 8:01 pm
At Zangua's question, the old man looks back, into the house, before answering. "Yes. Won't you please come in. My nephew...he's expecting you."
Jan 19, 2016 12:33 am
notinventedhere says:
I think we're just supposed to hang out looking like random guys unconnected to Zangua and Mordred (although the house's occupant may well have seen us all arrive together), while keeping an eye out in case things Go Bad. Also Leth, Vad, and Felor might be recognized.
Agreed.
Jan 19, 2016 12:45 am
"Can we just handle this here? My friend and I must be on our way."
Jan 19, 2016 2:54 am
Jeb gives you an anguished look and glances back in the house. "I don't...if you would just come inside, please."
Jan 19, 2016 3:20 am
"He's obviously in trouble," says Zangua, sotto voce to those standing next to him. In a louder tone, "Very well, Jeb. Thanks for your hospitality."
Last edited January 19, 2016 3:20 am
Jan 19, 2016 12:53 pm
Did Shamush come to the door with Zangua and Mordred?

Unsure about his safety once he is separated from the rest of the party, Mordred begrudgingly enters.
Jan 19, 2016 5:17 pm
Shamush is with Felor. They can see the door from here, but are too far away to hear the conversation.

Jeb steps back to make way for Zangua and Mordred.

The house is modestly furnished and dimly lit by the glow of a small fire in the hearth in the center of the main room. In the far corner of the room, beside the door to the bedchambers, stands a woman of about thirty, her hair tied back in a long braid, a thick pink burn scar covering half her face. She does not look up as Zangua and Mordred enter. Her eyes are fixed on the man seated on the bench beside the hearth.

His hair is silvery-gray, but his face is soft-featured and youthful. He wears a black woolen coat, finely tailored. He smiles placidly but does not rise to greet you.

"Good evening," the man says. "I am Adan Tuell. I understand you are in a hurry, so I will not detain you long, nor inconvenience my dear uncle and sweet cousin any more than is necessary. I will see you depart handsomely rewarded for your answers to these simple questions: where and when did you see the girl, and who or what travels with her?"
Jan 19, 2016 6:13 pm
"Excellent. I am Jek Porkins, of the Sthombo Thieves' Guild, and this is my bodyguard, Luke. I knew this girl, Zara, as she had some... contact with the Sthombo underworld, let's say. She told me she needed to get out of town unseen, but in a hurry, and was willing to pay for a guide through the sewers, so I helped her. Before I give you the information you seek, I think we need to talk about the terms of this reward. I'm looking for 50 gold pieces."

Adjust the amount of gold as necessary - I'm asking for a large sum of money, but not astronomical. Say US$10,000 today. Enough that if he jumps to promise it, I'm going to be suspicious that he doesn't intend to give us anything, but just attempt to kill us once he has the info.
Last edited January 19, 2016 6:15 pm

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Deception (in case I need it) - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Jan 19, 2016 6:18 pm
Refresh my memory on the timeline of our adventure, Octo. How long ago did I help Zora out of Sthombo, when was Edvers executed, and how long ago did the party leave Sthombo? Also when was the Sphere stolen, or at least reported stolen?
Last edited January 19, 2016 6:19 pm
Jan 19, 2016 7:57 pm
7 days before execution: the Sphere goes missing
6 days before execution: Mordred helps Zora escape from Sthombo
Day of execution: party buries Edvers, stays overnight in longhouse
1 day after execution: party stays in Sthombo
2 days after execution: party leaves Sthombo, meets Zangua and Shamush
3 days after execution: party stays with Old Welg the fisherperson
4 days after execution: party arrives in Beerpool

Using standard lazy DM exchange rates, $10,000 would be about 500 GP.

"I will pay you one hundred gold for what you tell me here this evening. You may return here in a month's time, and if the information you give me bears fruit, you will find five hundred waiting for you in my uncle's care."
Jan 19, 2016 8:44 pm
"That would be agreeable. Let's see. I last saw Zara approximately a week ago, a few days before her father lost his head in Old Temple Square. She asked me to get her out of town to the south, the Orsen Coast Road in particular. She said she had a rich uncle or something in Orsen, but she asked me several questions about what I knew of... Gurmar, was it, Luke? I think Gurmar. In any case, she traveled alone, and with nothing of note - a small pack, a bedroll I think. Not an Iron Sphere, if that's what you are thinking."

EDIT: OK, I really hope the last Deception check applies.
Last edited January 19, 2016 8:45 pm

Rolls

Deception (hopefully the one from my previous post still applies, but if not) - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Jan 19, 2016 9:10 pm
Adan nods along with Mordred's tale, his expression fixed in a state of bland amiability. "I see. Very interesting. You know exactly whom it is I seek, and I believe you have an understanding of why I seek her. Pray, can you recall the questions she asked you about Gurmar? I have reason to suspect her mention of Orsen was a ruse -- perhaps she did not trust you to know her true destination. And rightly so, for here you are!" He laughs. "If she intends to reach Gurmar unseen, she may intend to make her way through the Callow Hills -- a dangerous plan for a young girl traveling alone. There are dog-men who dwell there, and they are known to prey upon the weak without mercy."

He looks Zangua square in the eyes as he says that last sentence.
Jan 19, 2016 10:04 pm
"She said nothing to me of the nasty business surrounding her father, but a thief puts two and two together. I offered to accompany her to her destination, for an extra fee, of course, but she demurred. As you say, I'm not sure it was where she was really headed. She asked if I was familiar with Gurmar, or if I knew anyone in Gurmar. That sort of thing. In a roundabout way she wanted to know if it was an easy city to disappear into. Frankly, it was so obvious that I'm not sure if the questions were not a second ruse, and she was headed somewhere else entirely. She seemed too smart to let the truth slip that easily, don't you think, Luke?"
Jan 19, 2016 11:22 pm
"Luke" says nothing. His arms are folded in front of his chest in a classic bodyguard pose. It would read that his employer often references him by name, but in a rhetorical way.
load next

Thread locked