Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Jan 19, 2016 11:32 pm
Back at the pond, Felor throws the bullhead back in the pond.
"Eh, not worth cooking that one. Back in the mountains, you could get a bullhead as long as yer arm if you knew the right place to fish".
Jan 19, 2016 11:58 pm
"I confess, I am a little disappointed. I had hoped you had seen her within the past few days, since she departed Sthombo, for I already knew she had left that city and gone south. As you say, her questions may have had little to do with her true intentions. So what have I learned?" He holds out his empty hands. "Nevertheless, a deal is a deal. Cousin? Fetch the red coin purse, the one I showed you earlier, and give it to these men."

The woman immediately darts into the bedchamber and emerges with a small drawstring sack made of faded red cloth. She hands it to Mordred, who feels the shape and weight of coin inside it. The woman slinks back to her corner without a word.

"One hundred gold, as promised. You may count it before you leave, if you wish. I will only ask one more thing of you. If you should happen to see her on your travels, send word to my uncle, and more gold will await you when you pass through this village again. The last person who laid eyes on her saw her near the Mivil Bridge -- hardly the place one would expect to see her were she headed to Gurmar or Orsen, but perhaps she has chosen a nonsense route to confuse those who seek her? I only hope she can be found soon, and the unfortunate misunderstanding she has been thrust into may be sorted out. She endangers herself, and for no good reason. If the Implacable should find her before we do..." He makes a sorrowful moue with his face and shakes his head. "This could become an ugly situation, and I would be willing to pay any price I can to prevent that from happening. I will hope for the best. Safe journeys to you."
Jan 20, 2016 12:16 am
Zangua catches mention of "the Implacable" and tries to recall if he has heard anything about this group.

Rolls

History - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Jan 20, 2016 2:31 am
Adan holds up a hand. "Ah, forgive me. My frustration has me speaking far too loosely and giving voice to strange rumors."
Jan 20, 2016 2:50 am
Mordred searches his memories as well.

Rolls

History - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Jan 20, 2016 2:53 am
Back to the room? We have a lead, if this guy was on the level. I want to make sure we are not followed leaving town, and once back in the room, I'll empty the red bag and count the coin, and then burn the purse.
Jan 20, 2016 3:21 am
rocksteady says:
Mordred searches his memories as well.
Nothing you've heard of either.
Jan 20, 2016 1:42 pm
Shamush adopts a sad expression as Felor's fish slips back into the water and out of sight. He pats his stomach absently and murmurs, "A smallish fish beats a biggish rat, I tell you what." He sighs and glances towards the house Zangua and Mordred entered. With nervous energy, he unhooks a throwing axe from his belt and tosses it up, spinning in the air, catches it, repeats.
Jan 20, 2016 5:34 pm
Leth tries to appear casual as Felor fishes, but his thoughts are focused entirely on the house. They hadn't anticipated Mordred and Zangua to have to go inside the house - though looking back now, it seemed like a pretty logical assumption to make - and he was uneasy. They had no idea what was going on in there.

The best we can do is try to listen for sounds of a struggle, and hope we get there in time... Of course, this is assuming the worst. Maybe - hopefully - everything goes according to plan, and we'll get out of here with no unexpected inconveniences...
Jan 20, 2016 5:45 pm
If Mordred and Zangua are in agreement, they can leave the house, regroup with the others, and return to their rooms to confer with a reasonable expectation of privacy.
Jan 20, 2016 5:46 pm
Let me just try one more thing.

"Well, I shouldn't want anything terrible to happen to the girl. She seemed a good sort and didn't deserve the troubles heaped upon her by her father. My compatriots and I are headed to Utwar to take positions on a ship bound for the continent, so we may not pass by here again for some time. Is there a message we can pass to the woman should we cross paths in Hazard or Utwar? Somewhere we can tell her to go to be safe from these forces that would do her harm?"

Based on my Insight check before, do I sense that this guy is telling the truth that he is looking out for Zora, or does it seem like the classic "she's scared of me, but there is someone much worse she doesn't even know about" maneuver?
Last edited January 20, 2016 5:46 pm
Jan 20, 2016 5:53 pm
Zangua remains quiet, listening to everything. His eyes flit between Jeb, Adan, and the unnamed woman, observing and gauging their demeanor for any Insight to their thoughts.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Insight, using Advantage from earlier - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Jan 20, 2016 6:35 pm
Zangua gets the clear impression that Adan doesn't believe much of anything Mordred has told him, and is toying with him by speculating out loud about Zora's plans, her last known whereabouts, and mysterious pursuers.

Jeb Tuell and his daughter are scared to death of Adan. That is fairly obvious.

Mordred, too, doesn't feel like Adan is buying his story, and wonders if he played his hand too much by revealing knowledge of the Iron Sphere. Neither does Adan seem particularly convincing (or even trying to be convincing, really) in his concern for Zora's safety.

In response to Mordred's last question, Adan looks up thoughtfully for a moment before answering. "If you see her in Hazard, entreat her to seek refuge at the Shrine of Culsu. If you should see her elsewhere...beg her to stay where she is, to hide in place, and send word to my uncle, as I said. Remain with her as long as you can. You may find that seeing her brought back to my care is a far more profitable undertaking than any continental ventures."
Jan 20, 2016 6:42 pm
Oh and Zangua, based on that Insight roll, you definitely picked up on the significance of Adan locking eyes with you when he was talking about dog-men in the hills.
Jan 20, 2016 6:55 pm
Quote:
Adan doesn't believe much of anything Mordred has told him, and is toying with him by speculating out loud about Zora's plans, her last known whereabouts, and mysterious pursuers
So we think the Mivil Bridge thing is bullshit, or he's telling the truth because he thinks it doesn't matter how much we know?
BullOctorok says:
Mordred, too, doesn't feel like Adan is buying his story, and wonders if he played his hand too much by revealing knowledge of the Iron Sphere.
I gotta quit flapping my gums. Surely everyone in Sthombo knows about it and assumes Zora is involved with its disappearance, no? Anyway, let's bid adieu to Adan and get back to the inn.
Last edited January 20, 2016 7:03 pm
Jan 20, 2016 6:58 pm
Yeah it wasn't an impossible inference for you to make, but since the rider Zangua met was two days' travel from Sthombo and only asked about a girl matching her description, he knew you were more clued-in than the average random informant.
Jan 20, 2016 7:05 pm
Sorry, I edited in another question there after you answered. Do we think Mivil Bridge is a solid lead, or disinformation?
Jan 20, 2016 7:08 pm
He clearly tossed you that bone for a reason, but you can't be sure if it was a misdirect or not.
load next

Thread locked