Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Jan 20, 2016 7:18 pm
Gotcha.

Back at the Inn, I'll relay everything that happened in the house, including splitting the 25 GP we received with the rest of the party. I'll suggest we head for Mivil Bridge and then search the river south from there. In case it was missed up thread, I burn the pouch the gold came in, in case it has magical tracking properties or something.

Just kidding about the 25 GP. I'm inclined to keep the 100 in a "Party Treasure" fund for now, unless others feel strongly about splitting it immediately.
Jan 20, 2016 7:19 pm
Zangua follows Mordred wordlessly. Once out of earshot, he mutters dryly, "Good talk."
Jan 20, 2016 7:29 pm
Where is Mivil Bridge? I think Adan may have mentioned it to see whether or not we'll go there and look for Zora. It may very well be a trap.
Jan 20, 2016 7:33 pm
The Mivil Bridge is a very old stone bridge that spans the Ophid about three miles northeast of Hazard.

Anybody got a History roll for me?
Jan 20, 2016 8:43 pm
Zangua offers his insight. "He's much more knowledgeable about things than he's letting on. His mention of dog-men was clear in their association with me, and probably Shamush. Ordinarily I'd say his mention of the bridge is another way of tracking us and determine our intentions, and he's probably going to have us followed for when we find... whatshername. But, none of you have any other idea as to where to look, so I suppose it's as good a start as any."

Rolls

History - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Jan 20, 2016 8:47 pm
Well, Zangua knows bupkis about the Mivil Bridge. Anyone else want to try?
Jan 20, 2016 9:16 pm
Just like this meeting might have been a trap, the bridge might be as well, but we've got to start somewhere.

Rolls

Famous Bridges of Bload - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jan 20, 2016 9:39 pm
The Mivil Bridge is almost as old as Hazard itself and serves both as a chokepoint for boats to Hazard from upstream and as the only nearby crossing for foot and wagon traffic that doesn't pass through Hazard itself. As such, it is tremendously strategically important and is heavily guarded with fortified watchtowers at either end. The Bridge Authority collects tolls and taxes from all who pass over or beneath it, and functions as an autonomous entity tolerated by the government of Hazard for unclear reasons generally assumed to be an inscrutable tangle of centuries-old pacts, familial ties, secret kickbacks, and unbreakable oaths.

If you want to go to the Mivil Bridge (and don't feel like you're being railroaded into going there! There are certainly other options you could pursue) it will take about three days' travel on foot, but you're only a few hours away from places where you could catch a boat down the Ophid, which could potentially get you there in less than a day.
Jan 20, 2016 10:13 pm
As we discuss things in the Inn, I'd like to keep an eye on Jeb's house, to see when Adan comes out and where he goes.

Other options than Milvil Bridge that I can see:
1. Follow Adan
2. See what we can learn about Adan from Jeb once Adan leaves
3. Head for the Shrine of Culsu that Adan mentioned in Hazard
4. Scour the riverbank all the way down to Hazard
5. Follow up on the "The Implacables" clue
6. Others? What does everyone think?

I'm inclined to head for the bridge by boat, as it seems like the most likely location for something to happen, trap or no.
Jan 21, 2016 12:15 am
Zangua shrugs as options are laid out. "We could also capture Adan, beat some information out of him."
Jan 21, 2016 9:07 am
As Mordred relays the conversation to the rest of the party, Felor ponders over the entity referred to as "The Implacable".

History and Religion skill check on "The Implacable" (not sure whether it's a god/cult/other organisation).
Seconding heading to the bridge by boat. If we leave in the morning we can scout the riverbanks as we travel downriver.

Rolls

History skill check - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Religion skill check - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Jan 21, 2016 11:24 am
Felor also tries to recall if he's heard of "Culsu".
edit: I am the worst cleric.
Last edited January 21, 2016 11:25 am

Rolls

Religion skill check - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Jan 21, 2016 1:37 pm
Shamush's eyes light up at the suggestion of some good old down home thuggery. He says with a modicum of pride, "I beat a lot of information out of people in my short years upon this world. Happy to help!"

I'll try a religion roll, too.

Rolls

Religion check for Culsu - (1d20+3)

(13) + 3 = 16

Jan 21, 2016 1:50 pm
Felor frowns at the suggestion to beat information out of Adan.
"And what would we do once, if, he had told us anything? We can't leave him here to escape and warn his compatriots. Take him with us, to slow us down and slit our throats in our sleep? Murder him in cold blood?" Felor shakes his head. "No, I would have no part in that."
Last edited January 22, 2016 10:04 am
Jan 21, 2016 8:06 pm
Culsu is not known in Jerma, but Shamush has heard of her: a minor goddess of the underworld, associated with passages and doors both literal and metaphorical.

Felor doesn't know anything about "the Implacable," either.

We have two votes for going downriver by boat and two votes for interrogating Adan Jack Bauer-style, with one strong objection to the latter option.
Jan 21, 2016 8:15 pm
"So noted," says Zangua at the objection. "You have my arm, so long as none of you try to shiv me in the night. I'll follow you wherever you finally decide to go."
Jan 21, 2016 8:30 pm
Shamush looks at Felor, his eyebrows raised, and says offhandedly, "Just offering to rough him up some, you know? It's how things are done where I'm from. Just, er, business, you know?" He then claps Zangua on the shoulder and grins crookedly, looking at the others and saying, "But I'm with my pal here, and I'm curious to see where all this leads, so I'm with yas, too."
Jan 21, 2016 9:05 pm
rocksteady says:
As we discuss things in the Inn, I'd like to keep an eye on Jeb's house, to see when Adan comes out and where he goes.
You've been discussing things for some time (over an hour, say) and nobody has left the house, as far as you've seen.
Jan 21, 2016 9:09 pm
Could there be some kind of secret exit? Maybe we should come up with some pretext for checking in on Jeb.
Jan 21, 2016 10:31 pm
Listening to some of the options that have been thrown about in the discussion, Vad leans forward a bit and speaks, "I think once this Adan fellow leaves a revisit to Jeb would be useful. You did say he appeared frightened, yes?"

Vad wouldn't take part in a beat-down, thinking it would be more counter productive than anything else. Course he wouldn't do much to stop it either.
Last edited January 21, 2016 10:32 pm
load next

Thread locked