Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Feb 8, 2016 2:26 am
Shamush enjoys the meal set before him. It's the best one he's had in quite some time and while he tries to keep an ear on the other conversation, the food wins the battle for his attention. He blurbles, "This is damned fine!" As he chews on a particularly tough piece of meat he sits up and surveys the room, his street rat instincts causing him to check his escape routes and see if anyone else is acting suspicious.

OOC: Just getting the feel of the room and the other customers with a Perception check.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Feb 8, 2016 4:34 am
Leth will definitely go with him, and also look around the room to see if it looks like anyone is watching them or being generally suspicious.

Edit: *sigh*....
Last edited February 8, 2016 4:34 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Feb 8, 2016 8:01 am
Shamush surveys the room. The atmosphere and clientele of the Coiled Rope are fairly unremarkable; the place is warm and well-lit and the people have the look of townsfolk, middle-aged farmers and craftspeople, parents and older children and young couples. Nobody strikes him as suspicious or out-of-place. Aside from the doors the party came through, there's a side entrance and a door to another part of the inn, a door to the kitchen behind the bar, and stairs going up to the rooms for rent.

Leth doesn't notice anything troubling, either.

So I'm assuming Vad, Leth, and Mordred will be going to the house, and the rest of you might linger and/or follow behind at some distance? All of you privy to Harmon's statements can tell he's trusting you with some reluctance, and suddenly bringing in another three party members might cause him to reconsider.
Feb 8, 2016 9:41 am
Felor decides to stay at the inn with the other two, not wanting to spook Harmon by suddenly enlarging the group he was inviting to his home.
Feb 8, 2016 1:03 pm
We can make some excuse to go back to the Inn later.

Mordred makes a subtle "wait here" gesture to the three waiting behind.
Feb 8, 2016 3:57 pm
Zangua says, low into his food, "1 gold they get into a fight." He looks up at his tablemates to see who will take up his offer.
Feb 8, 2016 4:49 pm
Felor smirks into his stew, but shakes his head. "I'm not a gambling man, friend" he replies.
Feb 8, 2016 5:41 pm
Vad, Mordred, and Leth follow Rolley out of the inn to the Koal family home on the west side of town. The house is large and in good repair, with a well-tended garden surrounding it. Inside, Rolley pokes at the hearth fire and makes awkward small talk about their animals and the vegetables and herbs they're growing while two girls of about twelve -- twins, from the looks of it -- peer down at you from a sleeping loft above the main room. The furnishings in the house are finely made, and there are expensive decorative objects, woven rugs, painted pottery. Over the course of your idle talk with Rolley you gather that the Koals own the town's general store, and are quite well-off.

After a little while, Harmon and his wife arrive. He sits down beside the hearth and lights a pipe, taking a few deep drags and blowing long plumes of aromatic smoke before coming to the matter at hand.

"I don't know what you've heard already, but here's how it came to me. The ranger Kligson found me and Rolley at the store and told us he'd been talking to a girl at the Toad and Skull, a young thing no more than seventeen or eighteen, who wanted him to show her to a passage through the Badgerways to Hazard. She'd told him she was being followed by some sort of...witch-cult, and she feared they'd kill her if they found her, and she'd only be safe when she got to Hazard. He thought she was talking nonsense, but that she might be in some kind of real danger.

"He said she was armed, too, so we rounded up Vicar Jon and Dalt Mecrin who were in the store at the time, for backup, and we followed Kligson to where he was set to meet back up with her and, well, such as it is, we jumped her. Took away her sword and tried to march her back here to see what her story was and what we could do to help her. I've got daughters of my own, and I don't take to letting scared young girls wander about in danger without doing what I can for them. If whoever she thought was following her didn't kill her, the Badgerways surely would.

Harmon sighs. "Well, she was faster and stronger than I had her pegged for. She hit me -- hard -- in a, a, disabling spot." Rolley lets out a snort of amusement, which Harmon quickly silences with a glance. "Gave us the slip, ran like hell. Kligson and Dalt followed her all the way to the Almeri farm, but they lost her there." He shakes his head. "Kligson went after her. Said that as best as he could figure, she'd go to the King's Cradle, which is the entrance to the Badgerways most folks have heard of and does in fact link up to an old smuggler's tunnel that bypasses the Milvil Bridge. He planned to try to get there ahead of her and talk some sense into her, try to get her to someplace actually safe. King's Cradle is about thirty-five miles from here. It's been six nights and five days and he's still not back. I'll tell you boys, I have a bad feeling about this."

Harmon gets up and cracks his neck, sighs again. "That's all I can tell you because that's all I know. Except for this one other thing. She left her pack behind when she ran off. I looked through it, there wasn't much in it. Change of clothes, food, camping gear. But the girls were snooping through it this morning. They found something else. A hidden pocket." He walks over to the wall, pulls out a brown knapsack from under a chair, reaches in and produces a small, dark gray tile. He hands it to Vad. "This is what was in the pocket. I don't know what it means, but she took some pains to hide it."

Etched on the tile is a rough drawing of an old-fashioned stone doorframe. The lintel is cracked down the middle, and just above it is a sea-creature, a hippocampus.

http://i.imgur.com/uawnkf6.jpg
Feb 8, 2016 8:21 pm
"May I?" Mordred reaches for the pack and the tile and rummages through the pack, to see if anything in it is meaningful to a long-time friend of Zora. "I appreciate your honesty with us, and I truly appreciate your attempts to see that no harm comes to my friend, but I know how determined she can be, and I am not surprised she was able to get free of you and your men. We must go after her, and quickly. If you can give us directions to the King's Cradle, I think that is where we must go, in case she is holed up somewhere inside the [caverns?]. Perhaps also some token of your goodwill, in case we should meet up with Kligson along the way."

EDIT: I accidentally the whole pack.
Last edited February 8, 2016 8:23 pm

Rolls

Investigation? of the pack? - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Feb 8, 2016 8:52 pm
Mordred rummages through the knapsack, finding inside a bedroll, flint and steel, a lantern and two flasks (one full of oil, one empty), three days' worth of trail rations, a folded-up tarp, a whetstone, a waterskin, a short bow, nine arrows, and a spare set of underclothes and breeches. He also manages to drop the knapsack for no obvious reason and tear the stitching on the hidden pocket as he feels inside it to see if anything else is in there. Harmon also shows the party the short sword and dagger he took from her. There's nothing remarkable about any of it.

"Cross the river and head south-by-southwest," Harmon says. "When you reach the foothills, you'll find a settlement called Five Stones. Two miles due west, there's a hill and on top of that hill is the rock formation they call the King's Cradle." He walks over to the door and takes a blue cloak hanging from a peg on the wall. The hem of the cloak is embroidered with a fine, intricate vine pattern. "Kligson wears a cloak much like this. If you see him, show him this one. He'll recognize it as mine." He pauses a moment, half-smiles. "If he still doesn't trust you, ask if he remembers the baths at Eelnest Hot Springs."
Feb 8, 2016 9:07 pm
"If he still doesn't trust you, ask if he remembers the baths at Eelnest Hot Springs."

Nudge nudge, wink wink.

OK with Harmon if we take her stuff?

Mordred thanks Harmon again, and asks if he knows of any way of getting to King's Cradle faster than walking. Are there horses we could hire and leave in Five Stones?
Feb 8, 2016 9:16 pm
OOC:
Ah-ha! There's the chapter's namesake! I was wondering if or when we'd find it... I was picturing a brain (you know... the hippocampus is also a segment of the brain...) on a cracked Lentil bean... not the monster over a Lintel. It was a weird mental image hahaha
Hazard? Leth thinks to himself with some concern as Harmon tells his story. Isn't that where Adan fell in with the crown cult? What's in Hazard that would guarantee her safety? Seems like that would be one of the worst places to go... Ah well. At least now we have a good idea of where to find her and where she's heading. I just hope we find her soon, and in good health... His curiosity is piqued as Harmon pulls out the tile. He studies it curiously, trying to make sense of it, searching through his memories to see if anything about it looks familiar.
OOC:
Edit: Geeze. With rolls like that, who needs stats?
Last edited February 8, 2016 9:30 pm

Rolls

History, Insight, Arcana, or Religion check on the tile; they all the same modifier. - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Feb 8, 2016 9:17 pm
"The Loder farm about a mile south of here will sell you horses, but then you got to get them over the river. I'd look for mounts on the other side, if I were you."

Harmon is okay with you taking Zora's stuff.
Feb 8, 2016 9:23 pm
Leth, we'll say that was your History roll, and you can make two additional ones for Arcana and Religion.
Feb 8, 2016 9:30 pm
Leth thanks Harmon profusely, and adds, "This is such a huge help to us... I was beginning to lose hope of finding her. Now I just hope we can reach before it's too late..."
Last edited February 8, 2016 9:32 pm

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+2)

(15) + 2 = 17

Religion - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Feb 8, 2016 9:33 pm
Leth tries to puzzle out the significance of the drawing on the tile. Nothing obvious jumps out at him, but it does seem noteworthy that the hippocampus is a creature associated with Nethuns, the principal god of Sthombo.

"One question before you go," Harmon says. "This 'witch-cult.' Do you know anything about it? Do you believe the girl was telling the truth?"
Feb 8, 2016 9:40 pm
"The Loder farm about a mile south of here will sell you horses, but then you got to get them over the river. I'd look for mounts on the other side, if I were you."

Oh, I assumed a bridge. Is there a ferry?
Feb 8, 2016 9:49 pm
Your bridge options are either proceed to the Milvil Bridge or backtrack quite a ways. Ferries are certainly an option, but you take Harmon's point that finding a ferry for six horses might be costly and/or time-consuming.
Feb 8, 2016 10:11 pm
Well, let's ferry ourselves over and look for mounts on the other side, as Harmon suggested.

"Oh yes, we know this cult."

Rolls

Insight (Is Harmon trustworthy?) - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Feb 8, 2016 10:16 pm
Harmon seems to be a well-to-do man with a good life who has chosen to trust you three and open his home to you out of a genuine concern for both his friend Kligson and for Zora. You feel confident that you can take him at his word.
load next

Thread locked