Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Feb 8, 2016 10:17 pm
"Without a doubt." Leth says firmly. "They have even tried to hunt us down because of our connection to her - its how we came to know she was in danger in the first place. Unfortunately, we haven't yet been able to figure out exactly what they want or what they're capable of, but we do know that they are far more dangerous than we first assumed. They have killed four innocent people - that we know of, probably more - simply for their curiosity towards, or defiance of, the cult. They designate themselves with a sigil of a six-pronged crown; if you see this symbol, I would highly suggest you steer clear of it and not to trust anyone who is associated with it."
OOC:
I think it's safe to say that much. Warns him without giving away too much of what we know.
Last edited February 8, 2016 10:19 pm
Feb 8, 2016 10:24 pm
I was holding off on mentioning the Ix-Say Onged-Pray Own-Cray, but with my Insight check it's probably OK.
Last edited February 8, 2016 10:24 pm
Feb 8, 2016 10:26 pm
Harmon grimaces, and looks up toward the loft where his daughters are still not-so-subtly eavesdropping. "I see. In that case, it seems that we ought to prepare ourselves in case they find their way here."

I'll wait for Vad to weigh in here, but unless you have further questions for the Koals, you can regroup with the others and fill them in on what you've learned.
Feb 8, 2016 10:27 pm
"Is there someone in town who can take us across the river at this hour, and point us towards somewhere we might find horses on the far bank?"
Last edited February 8, 2016 10:27 pm
Feb 8, 2016 10:29 pm
OOC:
Hmm... forgot about the girls upstairs. But I think it's in our best interest to tell him so he knows who to avoid/look out for.

So... Zora went to the badgerways to bypass Mivil Bridge, and get to Hazard... but Adan told us she was last seen at Mivil Bridge. Would that have been before or after leaving Grine's Knot? Or maybe was he lying altogether?
Last edited February 8, 2016 10:29 pm
Feb 8, 2016 10:38 pm
OOC:
I think he was lying. I think he knows she was heading for Hazard, but doesn't know why she hasn't shown up yet.
Feb 8, 2016 10:40 pm
Rolley looks up. "Dad, I'll take them. We can cross with the Sabans' boat, and I'll show them to Beth Rut for horses."

Harmon shakes his head. "You heard what they said. These people are mixed up in some dangerous business, and we'll be lucky if it doesn't catch up with us here. You're staying here until we know this has blown over."

"Harmon. He'll be nineteen this winter. I think Rolley is more than capable of handling himself," Harmon's wife says, speaking up for the first time. She turns to her son. "Just as far as Beth Rut, and then you'll come back. Promise?"

Rolley nods eagerly. Harmon rolls his eyes. "Well, it's up to them," he says, indicating Vad, Mordred, and Leth.
Feb 8, 2016 10:47 pm
"Thank you Rolley. Come with us back to the Inn so we can get some rations, and then we'll be off. Mister Koal, I promise we will do everything we can to protect your son, but I do not expect further trouble until we are closer to our friend."
OOC:
Hope that boat seats seven...
Feb 8, 2016 10:56 pm
OOC:
Either way, whether he's been told she was there or if she is actively avoiding it, I think it's safe to say there's a Crown Cult presence at Mivil Bridge that we don't want to run into.

also... "to get some rations"? I don't know how much good it would do to lie to him at this point, especially since it's about to become very obvious that it was a lie...

Pater Ligbone's words of warning echo through Leth's head as Rolley offers to join them. He is about to decline the offer for help, but Mordred speaks first.
I don't know that's such a good idea... Leth thinks to himself. "Perhaps... how far of a journey is it to Beth Rut? And could we use the boat ourselves? I would hate to put your son in harm's way on our account, however unlikely it may be."
Last edited February 8, 2016 10:57 pm
Feb 8, 2016 11:09 pm
You discuss some of the logistics with the Koals. Beth Rut is a farming settlement about five miles northwest from the other side of the river. The advantage of having Rolley with you is that you'll get free use of the boat (the Sabans would be unlikely to loan it to a party of strangers, especially with no obvious means or timeframe for getting it back over to them) and Rolley can probably vouch for you at Beth Rut so you can temporarily hire the horses and a servant to bring them back to the farm, rather than buying them outright (which would be prohibitively expensive).

That said, to cover thirty-five miles horse travel isn't going to be significantly faster than travel on foot, since you can't really push the horses at galloping speed for very long, and you could probably get your own ferry across the river without too much difficulty if you let your gold pieces do the talking.
Feb 8, 2016 11:24 pm
OOC:
Another question to consider: When are we planning on leaving? Immediately, at the risk of exhaustion? Or do we want to get some rest and head out in the morning? If we wait til morning, we also might be able to do some poking around the shops - though we're not exactly swimming in spending money, we might be able to pick up some health potions? And if we're about to do some dungeon delving, those could be invaluable. Also, if we make this trip during the day, I feel a little better about Rolley's chances of Not Getting Killed.
Feb 9, 2016 12:21 am
Meanwhile, at the Coiled Rope, the band has played their final song and most of the diners have started settling their bills and going home for the night.
Feb 9, 2016 12:32 pm
OOC:
Agree with dandyman - wait until the morning.
Feb 9, 2016 12:47 pm
OOC:
I'm not opposed to waiting until morning, but we've got to start making up time somehow if we are going to catch up to Zora.
Feb 9, 2016 12:58 pm
OOC:
True. Maybe we should try and stay one step ahead of Adan/witch-cult spies and leave under the cover of darkness. I don't want the Koals to get in trouble if we're seen leaving their house.
Feb 9, 2016 1:22 pm
OOC:
I'm inclined to push through to King's Cradle through the night, and once we have made it there, camp for a couple/few hours to stave off exhaustion before entering the caves/tunnels. Rolley can ferry us across the river and point us in the right direction, but we can bypass the expense and possible complication of hiring horses if they are not going to be much faster.

That said, I am not opposed to resting here in town and seeing if we can do some useful shopping in the morning, but either way, let's head to the Inn and gather the party immediately.
Feb 9, 2016 2:33 pm
OOC:
Quote:
I'm inclined to push through to King's Cradle through the night, and once we have made it there, camp for a couple/few hours to stave off exhaustion before entering the caves/tunnels. Rolley can ferry us across the river and point us in the right direction, but we can bypass the expense and possible complication of hiring horses if they are not going to be much faster.
Agree with this.
Feb 9, 2016 4:43 pm
OOC:
Octo, to clarify Zora's potential motivations: We now know from Harmon Koal that she was headed for (what she thought, at least would be) safety in Hazard, yet she was going by way of the Badgerways because... it's a secret(ish) way into Hazard? Like the way I helped her out of Sthombo via the sewers? Or does it suggest she was trying to bypass Hazard for a more distant destination?
Last edited February 9, 2016 4:44 pm
Feb 9, 2016 5:08 pm
How about an Insight roll for figuring out Zora's possible reasons for taking the Badgerways?

Sounds like the mood is tending towards crossing the river tonight and getting as close to King's Cradle as you can before stopping to rest, any objections to that?
Feb 9, 2016 5:10 pm
OOC:
Added a few more snippets to the clue compilation in the other thread.
load next

Thread locked