Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Feb 12, 2016 12:55 am
Zangua's motion stirs the creature to action. It starts lumbering toward the party, picking up speed very quickly. Without hesitation, Leth looses the arrow he had readied and it flies swiftly to its mark.

With a nerve-rending, screeching roar of pain, the creature stands up on its hind legs. The thing is the size -- and general shape -- of a cave bear, covered in bristly black fur except for its head, which is wreathed in a mane of feathers. Wide, round yellow eyes reflect the dawn's light as it snaps a cruel beak already drenched in blood.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8443/7805670608_2ff0473632_b.jpg

Yeah, it's an owlbear. Roll for initiative, everybody!
Feb 12, 2016 12:57 am
Zangua's heart sinks, even as his nerve steels. Why did it have to be owlbears?

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Feb 12, 2016 2:06 am
As the Owlbear lunges towards them and Leth released his arrow, he is suddenly very mindful of the necklace of owlbear claws that hangs around his neck. Several years ago, an Owlbear had attacked his home village, going after a neighboring farmer's livestock. It had taken almost the whole village to bring it down... and now here they are, six men strong, facing down another one. Sweat begins to form on Leth's forehead as he draws another arrow and begins to back up even more.
But we are not simple farmers and hunters... no, we are warriors. And this beast shall not best us! He thinks to himself, steeling his nerves as he prepares for the fight.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Feb 12, 2016 2:32 am
Vad quickly drops to one knee and extends his right arm towards the beast. "You're a big one, aren't ya!"

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Feb 12, 2016 3:36 am
Shamush gawps at the creature and just remembers to stumble to the side and unlimber his shield and take up his nasty club. He's impressed with this thing. He murmurs to himself, "I guess these things are real?"

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

Feb 12, 2016 4:17 am
Mordred will attempt to sneak around behind the owlbear.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Feb 12, 2016 9:39 am
Felor readies his spear as the creature advances. Noticing the beast has blood on its beak, it occurs to him the party may have disturbed it as it was eating a fresh kill.

edit: ha! More comedy pratfalls from Felor as he trips over another mushroom
Last edited February 12, 2016 9:40 am

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Feb 12, 2016 2:43 pm
I may be away from the computer a bit this afternoon and tomorrow, so just in case I'll leave my first action in here for whenever I come up in the order. This assumes that we have definitely entered combat - Mordred wouldn't be the first to strike. If it's still a standoff at his turn, Mord will just Ready the following action in case the owlbear attacks the party instead of performing it.

As stealthily as he can, Mordred attempts to Sneak Attack the owlbear from behind (I'm assuming there will be another party member within 5 feet of the owlbear by the time he attacks, disregard bonus damage if not). Following the attack, he slips away from the creature, using Disengage as his Cunning Action.

EDIT: Boom goes the dynamite!
Last edited February 12, 2016 2:44 pm

Rolls

Sneak Attack (rapier) - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Damage (if needed) - (1d8+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Sneak Attack Bonus Damage - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Feb 12, 2016 4:01 pm
The owlbear drops to all fours and continues charging toward Leth.

Rolls

Owlbear Initiative - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

Feb 12, 2016 4:13 pm
Can you remind me how you're running initiative in this game? Do we have a averaged party initiative vs the monster?
Feb 12, 2016 4:33 pm
We're doing a kind of tier grouping thing: everybody who rolled higher than the enemy goes first, in whatever order, then everybody who rolled lower goes after the enemy. Which means...

Shamush, Zangua, and Leth are up first!
Feb 12, 2016 7:00 pm
Shamush crouches forward and gets an odd, flat look in his eye, his breathing gets ragged and he charges toward the owlbear with a silent shout, lifting his spiked club up and bringing it down with a wild, hard swing.

Note that I'm new to 5e and while I've read the books, I may make 3e/4e assumptions that don't apply to the new ruleset. Lemme know if I'm doing anything wrong.

Shamush is activating his Barbarian Rage (+2 dmg) and using Reckless Attack (I get advantage for my attack but if anyone attacks me this round, they get advantage). He's using his club (morningstar).

Rolls

Attack Roll #1 - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Attack Roll #2 - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Hypothetical Damage - (1d8+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Feb 12, 2016 8:16 pm
Zangua takes aim with his hand crossbow, firing a shot at the charging owlbear. He then drops the weapon and draws his club and hand axe, stepping forward to support Shamush and distract the monster's attention.

Rolls

Hand Crossbow vs Owlbear, Damage - (1d20+4, 1d6+2)

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

1d6+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

Feb 13, 2016 3:01 am
Shamush rushes up to the owlbear on its right side, slamming his club down on the unnatural creature's head before it can close the distance to Leth. At the same time, Zangua fires a crossbow bolt, which misses the owlbear by several feet and vanishes into the wet grass.

The owlbear shakes itself and swivels its head toward Shamush, staring into him with furious yellow eyes, and begins to rear back to attack...

Waiting for an action from Leth!
Feb 13, 2016 4:07 am
Seeing the Owlbear turn towards Shamush, Leth once again pulls an arrow back on his bowstring and aims at the creature. "Hey ugly! Over here!" He calls out, knowing full well that the creature won't understand him, but hoping the loud noise might draw it's attention - and releases the bowstring, letting his projectile fly towards the owlbear even as he begins to step backwards again away from the fight, hoping to lure the creature away.

Gonna use a combat maneuver that I get by being a spell-less ranger! Oh yeah, and then back up 30 feet.
Quote:
Distracting Strike: When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to distract the creature, giving your allies an opening. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll. The next attack roll against the target by an attacker other than you has advantage if the attack is made before the start of your next turn.
So I'm gonna go ahead and roll the superiority die, but if I'm understanding this correctly, I only actually expend the die as long as the attack hits. If the attack misses, the die is not spent and I can still try to use it again... correct me if I'm wrong?
Last edited February 13, 2016 4:07 am

Rolls

Attack Roll - (1d20+7)

(13) + 7 = 20

Damage Roll (Piercing) - (1d8+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Superiority Die - (1d8)

(6) = 6

Feb 13, 2016 5:23 am
You hit, so...we don't have to worry about figuring out that rule yet!

Leth fires off another arrow into the beast's flank. It screeches again and whips its head back and forth before deciding to go ahead with its attack on Shamush...

Edit to add: The owlbear swipes with both claws and snaps down hard with its beak, but Shamush, still in his barbarian trance, backsteps and leans just out or range, cool as ice.

Vad, Mordred, and Felor can attack next, and whoever goes first gets Advantage from Leth's Distracting Strike.

Rolls

Claw attack vs Shamush - (1d20+7)

(7) + 7 = 14

Beak attack vs Shamush - (1d20+7)

(4) + 7 = 11

Claw damage (if applicable) - (2d8+5)

(62) + 5 = 13

Beak damage (if applicable) - (1d10+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Feb 13, 2016 10:37 am
Seeing the great creature being injured pained Felor. The party had disturbed the feeding owlbear, and it was only acting on instinct to protect its kill. Calling on Fjorgyn, Felor holds up his shield baring the god's holy symbol and intones "Mighty Fjorgyn! Placate this fearsome beast!"

Cast Animal Friendship
Not sure of the range to the owlbear but I can move before casting if that will get me into range?
OOC:
For reference:
Range: 30 feet
Duration: 24 hours
This spell lets you convince a beast that you mean it no harm. Choose a beast that you can see within range. It must see and hear you. If the beast's Intelligence is 4 or higher, the spell fails. Otherwise, the beast must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be charmed by you for the spell's duration. If you or one of your companions harms the target, the spells ends.
Last edited February 13, 2016 10:37 am
Feb 13, 2016 3:43 pm
Hearing Felor's call, Vad backs off on his planned attack, but will remain ready in case the beast continues its hostilities.
OOC:
Taking a ready action and if Felor's spell fails Vad will attack with a Ray of Frost cantrip:
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Duration: Instantaneous
Ranged spell attack. 1d8 cold damage and target's speed is reduced by 10' until the start of its next turn.
Last edited February 13, 2016 3:43 pm

Rolls

Ray of Frost Attack and Damage - (1d20+5, 1d8)

1d20+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

1d8 : (5) = 5

Feb 13, 2016 3:48 pm
OOC:
Mordred will also hold his attack until he sees if friendship really is magic.
Feb 13, 2016 7:05 pm
Felor casts...

The owlbear looks quizzically at Felor, then back at Shamush. It seems confused.

Edited to add: Hmm, that should have been a secret roll. Oh well. You won't really be sure how the owlbear will react to this spell until it's his turn again. If Vad and Mordred decide to hold their actions, a new round starts and Shamush, Zangua, and Leth will have to take their turns (and can decline to attack, if they want to see what results the spell brings) before the owlbear has a chance to act.

Rolls

Owlbear saving throw vs friendship - (1d20+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

load next

Thread locked