Chapter Two: The Hippocampus on the Cracked Lintel

load previous
Feb 17, 2016 7:51 pm
rocksteady says:
I never had an exact number for XP to this point. Should I just assume the minimum for level 2?
Yeah, I mean, honestly, I'm just gonna level you guys up at the end of each chapter.
Feb 17, 2016 8:37 pm
Spoilers!

Felor sighs as he looks down at the sad sight of the slain beast. They'd surprised the poor thing as it was eating, is it any wonder it was upset? He closes his eyes and whispers a short prayer - "Fjorgyn, please forgive us for destroying this great creature. Accept its spirit, may it be reborn anew" - before continuing the journey.
Feb 17, 2016 8:46 pm
Felor comforts himself by recalling that owlbears were said to be the blasphemous creation of the archmage Mergwyn, court wizard of King Artorias the Pretender, who conquered Tar-Eng generations ago with the help of the magic sword Exculpigor that he freed from the stone it had been sealed in, and that owlbears are generally not considered a part of Fjorgyn's plan for the Werld.
Feb 17, 2016 8:46 pm
Zangua tries to see if he can recover his fired bolt as they continue their march, but he does not spend too much searching before moving on.
Feb 17, 2016 8:48 pm
After a cursory search, Zangua accepts the loss of the crossbow bolt.
Feb 17, 2016 8:55 pm
As the creature goes down, Leth quickly moves to the owlbear to retrieve his arrows and glances remorsefully at the creature - but for different reasons than Felor. Who knows how much provision this creature could have provided to them if they had the time to take it... but they were in a hurry and skinning such a great beast would take far too long. He forces himself to forget the potential resources they are leaving behind and falls in line with the others, ready to keep moving.
OOC:
I don't think anyone used my Advantage hahaha
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you said back in chapter 1 that we can just assume we re-collect our spent ammo, right?
OOC:
Edit: Or... maybe not? :S
Last edited February 17, 2016 8:57 pm
Feb 17, 2016 8:59 pm
Ruling on the field is that a crossbow bolt in thick wet brown grass in pre-dawn light is not recoverable unless Zangua wants to make the party wait 20 minutes or more while he does a grid sweep...

Edited to add: ...but since Leth's arrows are still stuck in the owlbear's hide, he can retrieve them with no problem.

Ahead, the party comes across the half-eaten doe the owlbear was having for breakfast.

Any last business here before continuing to Five Stones?
Feb 17, 2016 9:03 pm
OOC:
No no, I fully expected to lose the bolt and was not going to waste any time.
Zangua half-checks if there are any serviceable and edible parts left of the doe. Waste not, want not.
Feb 17, 2016 9:07 pm
Depending on how strict you are on rations and whether or not owlbear is edible, I would be OK with spending a reasonable amount of time getting some owlbear steaks. Mord's got 5 days of rations and 6 slices of waybread (does 1 slice = 1 days rations?) so I should be OK, and I assume everyone else has at least 5 days worth from their initial equipment loadout, but if not, it might be worth the delay.

ETA: Or venison, I guess.
Last edited February 17, 2016 9:08 pm
Feb 17, 2016 9:50 pm
Yeah, I haven't been strict about rations because you guys have mostly been traveling between taverns up to this point, but food sources could become an issue in the future. Maybe. idk

Mordred and Zangua carve up the dead fauna for meat before continuing on their journey.

The sun is high in the sky when the party reaches Five Stones, and they are exhausted. Cattle and sheep graze on the low hills around the settlement. The main house, the cottages, the barns, and the mill are all made of weathered, golden wood, and in the middle of it all stand the five tall menhirs that give the place its name. To the west, you can see the hills where the King's Cradle will be found.

You can either stop at Five Stones or keep going the last two miles to King's Cradle.
Feb 17, 2016 9:56 pm
What do I know about the Five Stones?

Rolls

History skill check - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Feb 17, 2016 10:15 pm
Critical success! Unfortunately Five Stones is a small, obscure place you only just learned about from Harmon Koal.

Felor remembers with crystal clarity that time a day ago when he learned about the existence of Five Stones, and adeptly surmises that it is a settlement of cattle and sheep ranchers.
Feb 17, 2016 10:28 pm
Ha!

Let's find someone to ask if (A) Zora came through here and if so, when, and (2) if we can catch a nap in their hayloft or something.
Feb 17, 2016 10:53 pm
"While we're here we may as well ask around a bit." Vad says as he leans back stretching himself out a bit. "What do you all think, take a bit to peek around and maybe rest, and then head out?"

Vad will take a quick look around to see if any of the townspeople look approachable.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Feb 17, 2016 11:06 pm
rocksteady says:
Ha!

Let's find someone to ask if (A) Zora came through here and if so, when, and (2) if we can catch a nap in their hayloft or something.
OOC:
It's like midday. Do we need a nap? King's Cradle is 2 miles down the road.
Feb 17, 2016 11:50 pm
You do kind of need a nap. You've been pushing your travel rate as hard as you can and if you got into another combat situation you might be penalized.

The main house at Five Stones is a two-story villa enclosing a small courtyard. The front door, painted dark orange, is slightly ajar.

Vad doesn't see anybody outside.
Feb 18, 2016 12:11 am
Don't like that open door.

Mordred puts his hand on the hilt of his sword and checks for anything suspicious. He gestures to his companions to do the same.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Feb 18, 2016 12:19 am
Zangua sighs inwardly. His legs ache, but he wills his military training into his mind to block out the inconvenience. He pulls out a bolt an loads it into his hand crossbow before advancing on the opposite side of Mordred.
Feb 18, 2016 12:24 am
If you're just searching outside...

Neither of you see anything suspicious, save for the fact that there's apparently nobody out working or tending to the livestock.
Feb 18, 2016 12:24 am
"No one around at this time of day. Seems a little odd..." Vad says as he focuses on the orange door. "Think anyone's home?"
load next

Thread locked