Character Advancement Thread

load previous
Jun 5, 2019 3:46 pm
She can be friends with Willitan's pony then. Now that she is one herself
Last edited June 5, 2019 3:46 pm
Jun 5, 2019 4:33 pm
To answer a few questions I've seen:

1. Yes, all feats you have earned to this point remain with you for the duration of your character's sad, pathetic, cosmically doomed life. I'm kidding, of course, about the sad and pathetic. Cosmically doomed remains to be seen.

2. For a magus: the spells per day table indicates how many spells of each level you may memorize and cast in a day, modified by your intelligence modifier as shown on the table Abilities and Spellcasters a little way down the linked page. At each new level, you can add two spells of any level you are able to cast (so right now, it would be 0 or 1st-level spells). You can choose from any you don't know that are found in the official sources for the game (Core Rulebook, Advanced Player's Guide, Ultimate Magic). See this link to look at spells by rulebook source.

3. Ember, remember (hey, that rhymes) that your spells per day are also modified by your Charisma score in the same way that Elora's are modified by her Intelligence score (see table linked above). 4 1st level spells per day is the base.

4. Remember that when gaining a level in a class, your save modifiers and base attack bonus can often go up. See your class page on d20pfsrd.com for that.

5. All the "free feats" are permanent.

Don't forget that multiclassing is a possibility. Every new level, you can choose to take a level in any class you qualify for and gain its 1st level abilities. If you need assistance in figuring out how to do that, let me know.
Jun 5, 2019 4:53 pm
Ah, sweet! I get 5 1st-level spells per day, then. That's a lot of magic missiles :D
Jun 5, 2019 4:53 pm
Also, every character gets two skill points to spend on Background Skills only. Those are listed at this link a little way down the page.
Jun 5, 2019 4:59 pm
lavtodd says:
Ah, sweet! I get 5 1st-level spells per day, then. That's a lot of magic missiles :D
Pew pew pew!

Make sure you cast them at the darkness.
Jun 5, 2019 5:10 pm
It's amazing what can happen when you misread how many spells you get.
Jun 5, 2019 5:32 pm
lavtodd says:
wh...at?
Did you follow the link?
Jun 5, 2019 5:42 pm
Yeah haha

You know, I had a co-worker once tell me "You're such a nice Catholic girl! How can you play that game? Isn't it the devil's game?"

And she kept joking about it, but juuuuuuust enough that I don't think she was joking :P
Jun 5, 2019 5:47 pm
I just found out that my Evangelical cousin has been playing D&D with her children.
Aug 9, 2019 8:03 pm
Congratulations! For excellent RP, some clever combat, and reaching a major plot point, you are now all LEVEL 3!

Here's a handy guide for character advancement, step by step:

1. Select your new class level

Decide whether you're going to go up in level in your current class or add a level in a new class. I know a couple of you are planning to multiclass. Remember that if you multi-class, you retain ALL the abilities of your previous class, and add on any new abilities of your new class.

2. Add your new class abilities and stat changes

First: change your BAB, fortitude, reflex and will save modifiers if appropriate. When you change your BAB, make sure to change your attack modifiers for your weapons as well.

Second: take note of any new class abilities and record them on your character sheet.

Third: Take note of how many additional skill points you gain and roll for HP. Take a minimum of (hit die)/2 + CON modifier new hit points. Recall that if you are going up a level in your original class taken at 1st level, you also gain EITHER 1 additional HP OR 1 additional skill point.

3. Add new skills and feats

Remember that all characters gain a new feat at Character Level 3, which you all are now. Remember that you also get 2 points to spend on Background Skills.

4. Add new spells if appropriate

Please ask any questions that come up!
Aug 9, 2019 9:19 pm
Well I feared this day has come, but it seems I shall...multi-class. I'm gonna update this post as I go along, as I need to roll hp and such.

1) New Witch level!

4+4 for 8 extra health to a total of 31HP.

Taking Misfortune as my hex.

New Feat: Accursed hex - makes baddie re-roll will save on a hex.

Added one rank in: Arcana, Dungeoneering, Planes,
Three ranks in: Nature
Adding two skill points to Linguistics for background.

+2 to will saves
It says I get a +1 to fort saves somewhere but I can't see where?...

New witch cantrips - Detect Poison, Read Magic, Touch of Fatigue
New Witch Spells prepared- Beguiling Gift, Charm Person, Ear Piercing Scream, Hypnotism, Identify, Ill Omen

Gained a familiar, which among other things gives me Alertness when they are next to me.
Last edited August 9, 2019 11:24 pm

Rolls

Hp - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Aug 9, 2019 9:21 pm
Squish Squish

Rolls

Sorcerer HP - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Aug 9, 2019 9:37 pm
Staying a fighter. For now DUN DUN DUN

Rolls

Hp - (1D10)

(9) = 9

Aug 9, 2019 9:57 pm
I was born an Unchained Rogue, and an Unchained Rogue I remain.

Rolls

Hit points - (1d8)

(8) = 8

Aug 10, 2019 5:50 am
OK,it took a while, but I made up my mind - Yelnar is adding a level of Hunter, looking to embrace nature more.

Rolls

Hit Points - (1d8)

(3) = 3

Aug 10, 2019 5:35 pm
Skills: Added Knowledge (Geography, Local & Nature)
Feat: Breadth of Experience (adds +2 to all knowledge checks)
I now have Level 2 spells

Rolls

HP - (1d8)

(2) = 2

Aug 18, 2019 1:29 pm
Allow me to introduce the Rhamian quarter orc Bard, Uelten Swan!
[ +- ] terrible secrets
Rolls for starting cash, hit points at levels 2 & 3

Rolls

Starting cash - (3d6)

(213) = 6

Hit points - (2d8)

(85) = 13

Aug 18, 2019 1:49 pm
Swan has been updated to level 3 and submitted. I'll need to pare down the equipment as I rolled poorly, depending if there is any adjustment to starting wealth for level 3?
Aug 18, 2019 2:20 pm
Rolling HP for the new Druid. Also, should I use the starting gold at new levels table? That would give me 3,000 gp to start with.

Rolls

Hit Points - Lvl 1 - (1d8)

(2) = 2

Hit Points - Lvl 2 - (1d8)

(3) = 3

Hit Points - Lvl 3 - (1d8)

(4) = 4

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.