Adventure Thread - Oak Grove Whispers

load previous
Feb 17, 2016 6:23 pm
"Indeed, this is highly suspicious. But there are things that bothers me, things that don't quite seem to make sense... Perhaps we'll see if we ever meet her again. In the meantime, I suggest sir Galenar stays away from her until we can sort this mess out."
Feb 18, 2016 7:40 pm
So. It's late...or early, depending on your outlook. Where are you headed?
Feb 18, 2016 8:06 pm
"I told you boys that woman was nothing but trouble! But why would she cause all this, only to send us here to rescue Mister Galenar?"
Last edited February 18, 2016 8:08 pm
Feb 19, 2016 1:50 am
"Exactly Herja. Maybe she was hoping we'd fail, but she had to know there would be a chance we'd make it. Something is not quite right here. Well anyways, maybe we should try to find an inn and get some shut eye, we can discuss this at length tomorrow."
Last edited February 19, 2016 1:50 am
Feb 19, 2016 11:26 am
The group makes its way to an inn and beds down for the night.
Feb 20, 2016 4:42 pm
In the morning you awaken to find Bart has departed. A note reads: "Guys, The battle against the nightmare stuff really messed me up. I'm taking some time off for a while. I'll catch up to you guys some day. Bart"
Feb 20, 2016 8:37 pm
"Well, seems we're losing members left and right... Oh well, I guess we should see if we can find miss Red Kristen again to see if we can get to the bottom of this, and well, since we got hired for this mission, I assume we should then visit the Adventurer's Guild office."
Feb 21, 2016 5:53 am
"Oh wait, Kristen and sir Galenar both wanted our discretion. I guess we won't go the the Adventuring Guild then..."
Feb 22, 2016 9:01 am
"You are right we should be discreet, let me hide that cursed crown, just in case, and we can go find the lady"
Feb 22, 2016 4:07 pm
"Actually, we should probably try and figure out what that crown can do, and maybe find a way to either destroy it, or make sure it will never inconvenience anyone again... Herja, can you try and figure out what this crown is using your magic powers?"
Feb 22, 2016 7:46 pm
Herja takes the crown gingerly and concentrates.

Rolls

Identify? magic item - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Feb 22, 2016 8:49 pm
MND +AU to detect if something is magical (not necessary as it was glowing and when it was broken the spell stopped!)

MND + IN to identify the magic

Herja senses that the item is no longer magical after having been damaged.
Feb 23, 2016 12:43 am
"Thank you Herja. Hmm, no longer magical eh? I guess there is no longer any need for us to destroy or get rid of it then. I assume a collector of antique might be interested in it though... But first, we should probably return to the Gray Mule and see if we can find miss Red Kristen there so we can get more answers..."
Feb 23, 2016 8:34 am
"Knowing it is no longer capable of creating nightmares and bring them to life is a relief"
Feb 23, 2016 2:31 pm
The Gray Mule doesn't open until noon and one would suspect that Kirsten would not be there until the evening. Is there anything you'd like to do or investigate before then?
Feb 23, 2016 2:49 pm
I'd like to sell my long bow and buy a brand new elven bow :)
Feb 23, 2016 2:50 pm
"I wonder if Atarin would know anything about that crown?"
Feb 23, 2016 3:07 pm
You know where he is staying if you wanted to ask him about it
Feb 23, 2016 5:26 pm
"A wonderful idea Herja! Perhaps we both could bring him the crown while Alden goes shopping..."
Feb 23, 2016 6:01 pm
You make your way over to the city center, where Atarin is staying. You almost don't recognize him after a few days of proper eating and a bath. He's dressed more scholarly and has had a shave and haircut. He greets you, saying he's still ironing out the details of what is next for his archaeological delve on the coast. You show him the crown, describing the events, and he studies it carefully. His eyes light up and he exclaims.

"Ah... clearly an object from the time of the Earth Mother"

"The Earth Mother..." Herja ponders the name aloud.

"Yes, the proto-deity of Caera. During the Time of Twilight. Before the sun and moon, light and dark, good and evil. Our ancient history. When the separation of these forces shook the world and the Earth Mother sacrificed herself to save Caera and the Sundering occurred - the Godsfall. The creation of Helia, Baarn and all the other deities. Powerful entities that had to gather unto themselves worshipers to validate their power and continue their existences.

In the time of the Earth Mother, she was attended to by the Druun, an order of men who kept the secrets of her worship to themselves. This item is one of their relics. Astounding discovery! I wonder where it came from?

This part here that you have broken off, the oak tree with a face, this signifies dreams and portents. A druunic priest would have probably used this crown to speak to their deity and receive visions. To an unskilled person, this could have produced dire nightmares and uncontrolled wild magic side effects.

Even now rendered useless, it is a highly desirable artifact. I would suspect it would fetch 1,000 gold pieces from the right people. Some people within my circles, in fact. I could, for a fee to help fund my research, find a seller for you."
load next

Thread locked