Adventure Thread - Oak Grove Whispers

Nov 14, 2015 1:30 am
White Oak Square map
1. Grove of White Oaks - The namesake of this district. You see children playing under the shade of these trees.
2. Well - A community well at the center of the well
3. Brand's Meat Shoppe - A butcher
4. Loaf & Pastry - A bake shop
5. The Burning Light - A chandler
6. The Gray Mule - A tavern
7. Tailor Shop
8. Temple of Artenas the Builder
9. A Manor House
10. Cobbler's Row - Shoe makers and repairer's shops/homes
11. Tenement - This place looks a little run down and the building isn't level
12. Tenement - All the doors are painted red. Rough looking dogs sit on one of the upper floor balconies, watching the streets
13. House - There are children all over the yard. An old granny is watching over them.
14. The Stone Hammer - A stonemason's shop. Back yard is surrounded by a 2m tall stacked stone fence. Geidemar recognizes dwarven craftsmanship.
15. Warehouses - Lumber, cloth, and other items coming to and fro. Some guards yawn, leaning on their spears.
Nov 16, 2015 5:22 pm
You arrive in the evening. It appears that most of the cobblers on Cobbler's row have closed shop. Several are walking together towards the Gray Mule, looking quite jovial.
Nov 16, 2015 7:34 pm
"Hmm, well they look quite happy. I guess business is good around here..."
Nov 18, 2015 3:13 pm
"looks like it! I need a drink after giving the guild half my coin, maybe we'll even find someone willing to let me take ny frustrations out in their face!" Bart carries on toward the Mule
Nov 18, 2015 4:23 pm
As the heroes enter the Gray Mule, they see the place is somewhat empty. There is a delicious smell coming from the kitchen.  A church bell sounds outside, indicating the end of the work day, and soon the place starts filling up with men - mostly cobblers judging by how they are dressed.  They seem to all know each other.  The bar patron (a man with a peg leg) starts serving up hot stew and mugs of beer to the hungry patrons, including you if so inclined
Nov 18, 2015 6:11 pm
"Beer me wench!" Bart cries out, unreasonably loud. Once he receives it he'll look around for Atarin.
Nov 18, 2015 8:00 pm
"Time to put those gold pieces from the sell of those lizard skins to good use. Innkeeper, we'll have your stew and your best beer!"
Nov 18, 2015 9:47 pm
"No wench here, lad, but I've got beer" the one-legged barkeep, Dannod Harven, says as he plops a bowl of stew down in front of you along with a frothy mug of beer. As you sit and drink, discussing what you will do next in your adventuring career, eventually Atarin himself makes an appearance. Seeing you, he smiles and sits down with you.

He brings out a bag of gold quite casually, and plops it on the table. "There you go, gents! A little bonus...Thanks again for rescuing me!" it's clear to Alden that this man doesn't understand the dangers of thieves.

"Now, I have to go before the archaeological guild to request another group of students. Then I would love to have you back at the agreed rate of 10gp each per week for guard duty. I suspect we'll have trouble from both the Lakemen and the cultists. I'll be ready in two weeks time. So I will come looking here for you again then." With that he enjoys some wine and conversation, but his talk is about lakeman tools and loincloths, a bore to most of you.

Three women come into the tavern, one somewhat unattractive and gruff looking. The next a fairly attractive girl with long, dark hair and the last is a dazzling red-head. A few of the drunken cobblers whistle, calling out to the girls "Red Kirsten, here, girl!" "Molli, sing for us darling!" and a few say "Jennan, get your ass over here!" The woman (except for Jennan, who looks like she's not thrilled) smile and parade around the room flirting with the cobblers and other patrons. Red Kirsten talks to a few shoe workers but is looking at your table...
Nov 19, 2015 12:55 am
Half-listening to Atarin's story, Esteber notices when the three women (especially the two attractive ones) enter the establishment. He follows them with his eyes as he drink, eats, and pretends to listen to Atarin. When Red Kristen looks at their table, Esteber smiles back at her.
Nov 19, 2015 4:03 am
Esteber watches the woman, a prostitute no doubt...very attractive and has a spark of wit about her. She chats with a cobbler but looks again to your group.

Meanwhile Molli takes the small stage and begins singing. The whole place claps along:

In the shoemaker's shop
This refrain would never stop
As he tapped away
Working all the day.

At his bench there was he
Just as busy as a bee
Little time to lose
With the boots and shoes.

But his heart went pop
Inside the little shop
When a lovely girl
Set him all a whirl.

She had come to choose
Some pretty dancing shoes
And he heard her say
In her charming way,

"Shoes to set my feet a-dancing, dancing,
Dancing, dancing all the day.
Shoes to set my feet a-dancing, dancing,
Dancing all my cares away."

Then he tapped and he stitched
For his fingers were bewitched
And he sewed a dream
Into every seam.

Making shoes, oh so neat
Just like magic on her feet
And he hoped she'd know
That he loved her so.

But she danced, danced, danced
As tho' she were entranced
Like a spinning top
All around the shop.

On her dainty feet
She whirled into the street
And he heard her say
As she danced away,

Dancing, dancing all the day.
Dancing all my cares away."

song imagine a bit more drunken polka style

The crowd cheers and beers are raised. After the revelry dies down, Red Kirsten comes over to your table. "Is this seat taken, boys?" She points at Esteber's lap.
Nov 19, 2015 8:23 am
Alden somewhat tipsy almost spits his beer when Red Kirsten makes his move and starts laughing.
Nov 19, 2015 1:28 pm
The red haired woman introduces herself "Hello Gentlemen, I am Red Kirsten and by the way you are dressed and equipped I can see that you are adventurers." She smiles as she feels Esteber's arm.

"I am looking for some men of discreet professionalism to help me with a troubling task. One of my favorite and prized customers has suddenly become unavailable. His manservant refuses to let me in or allow him to see me. I am growing worried that something strange is afoot as the man is unmarried and our relationship is very private. I'm looking for someone to investigate and see if he is OK and find out what has happened as I am refused contact with him."

She sips Esteber's beer. "I would be willing to pay for your quiet investigative services."
Nov 19, 2015 1:46 pm
Herja has been scowling at the women since they arrived. "What would your friend think of that, eh?" she says, gesturing at the way Kirsten is seated in Esteber's lap. "Maybe he's hung himself after you got too friendly with his cobbler."
Nov 19, 2015 2:35 pm
Kirsten smiles at Herja "Oh, sugar. It's only business. " She looks the healer up and down. "Say, if this whole adventuring thing doesn't work out for you. .."
Nov 19, 2015 3:32 pm
"This is certainly some unusual work, but I'm sure we could work something out. Where does this client of yours reside?"
Nov 19, 2015 3:51 pm
Caressing Esteber's back "Master Galenar is the owner of Shoehaven Manor, just down the street."
Nov 19, 2015 3:56 pm
"And how long has this been going on?"
Nov 19, 2015 4:17 pm
"Two weeks, he normally sees me every three days or so"
Nov 19, 2015 9:57 pm
"Doesn't this Galenar has friends and family who would be worried about him? I mean no disrespect, but I find it odd a... courtesan would become worried about one of her client, and to be the only one to raise such worries..."
Nov 19, 2015 11:23 pm
Red Kirsten looks over at Bart. "What does your friend here have against helping a poor girl out?"
Nov 19, 2015 11:47 pm
"It's not that I have problems, I'm just trying to figure out what exactly we're getting ourselves into..."
Nov 20, 2015 8:27 am
"Miss, please understand that every bit of information will help, even what you consider private or irrelevant will help us a great deal in our task. And we promise to be exquisitelly discreet with all the information you give us."
Nov 20, 2015 11:43 am
"Master Galenar is a wealthly shoemaker, but before that he was somewhat of an adventurer, like yourselves. Sometimes my clients pay me in jewelry and trinkets...Galenar is a good appraiser and he also can help me find buyers for these items. In addition to being a generous, regular client."
Nov 20, 2015 3:07 pm
"An ex-adventurer hmm? Do you know if, by any chances, he used to be a member of the Adventurer's Guild?"
Nov 20, 2015 3:15 pm
Looking a bit bored "Wouldn't know, hon. I bet he was adventuring long before that guild set up." She takes another sip of Esteber's beer and licks her lips "So, do you want to talk pay or are you helping a poor girl out out of the kindness of your hearts?"
Nov 23, 2015 5:51 pm
Bart looks at the woman skeptically. "I don't like to tongue wag when there's perfectly good ale that needs drinking. But aye, I think we need to talk pay. Gertrude has expensive tastes."

Bart says the last without any indication that he is referring to his sword.
Nov 23, 2015 5:57 pm
Red Kirsten smiles at Bart and saddles up in a chair next to his. "I can give you 100 gold if you can discretely investigate what's going on. Come back here when you know what's up. Me and the girls are here nearly every night. Of course we can also discuss....trade...."
Nov 23, 2015 6:06 pm
"Gold is good, thanks!" Herja interrupta, scowling.
Nov 23, 2015 6:20 pm
"Agreed, that seems a fair offer, barring any unforeseen troubles finding your Cobbler friend." Bart turns to Alden and Esteber, "What say you gents, shall we go shoe shopping?"
Nov 23, 2015 6:34 pm
"We'd better come up with some good reason to see the man, otherwise, we might simply end up being turn away at the door by his manservant like Miss Red Kristen here..."
Nov 23, 2015 6:37 pm
"Gertrude needs new dancing shoes, that should be enough to get us through the door. Or the promise of something really shiny that we need him to appraise perhaps?"
Nov 23, 2015 7:01 pm
"I don't remember her saying he was a cobbler, just that he was a rich ex-adventurer..."
Nov 29, 2015 11:11 pm
Red Kirsten winks and moves on to another table of tipsy cobblers. You finish your drinks and settle your bill, then make your way to Shoehaven Manor, just north of the Gray Mule.
Nov 30, 2015 1:23 am
Esteber will bid Red Kristen farewell with a large curtsy bow and by kissing her hand.

"You have a good evening m'lady."
Nov 30, 2015 1:08 pm
Bart will spend most of the walk lamenting that they didn't get a few more drinks before setting off on this task. "in my experience, beautiful women lead to nothing but trouble. At least their gold is good."

When they get to the shop Bart will step up and knock loudly on the door.
Nov 30, 2015 2:56 pm
The moon is large in the sky, casting a lot of light on the city. Shoehaven is a modest, three-story manor home with white brick walls covered in vines. As you approach the Manor House, you see the occasional eerie, greenish light from the third story windows. The first floor windows are barred.
Nov 30, 2015 3:16 pm
"Greenish light? That looks ominous... And the first story windows are barred. Something is definitely not right in there... Alden, you think those vines would be enough to help us climb to those third story windows? well, if we really have to, of course..."
Dec 1, 2015 8:23 am
"That strange light gives me the creeps, and I must admit I'm not very good at climbing" Alden thinks for a moment... "Maybe we should look for a service door in the back of the house, I'm sure I could unlock it easily"
Dec 1, 2015 2:53 pm
"At the same time, it won't do us much good to be arrested for breaking and entering... Let's knock at the door first and see how suspicious is the manservant. Who knows, maybe we'll be able to use reasonable doubt as an excuse later if we get into trouble for breaking in..."

With this, Esteber will use the knocker on the front door.
Dec 1, 2015 3:58 pm
After a moment, the door opens a crack. The room beyond is dark. The man at the door is clearly a butler, but he is disheveled, with his collar undone, he looks a bit dirty and tired, with his eyes red and his skin pale and sweaty.

"Good evening. How may I help you?" he says quietly.
Dec 1, 2015 10:19 pm
"Good evening my good man. We are a group of adventurers who are in need of the services of Mister Galenar. We heard he's the best in town."
Dec 2, 2015 3:00 am
"Master Galenar is not accepting visitors at this time...thank you" the butler replies as he moves to shut the door...
Dec 2, 2015 6:55 am
"When will he be available? Do you know? We sort of only have a few weeks before our next assignment..."
Last edited December 2, 2015 6:55 am
Dec 2, 2015 1:25 pm
"The master has not shared this information with me. Good night." he says as he closes the door. You hear the click of several locks.
Dec 2, 2015 1:35 pm
"Well, that was a waste of time."
Dec 2, 2015 3:59 pm
"Plan B then, let's look for a back door Alden might be able to open. Then there's also the possibility of climbing up to the windows on the upper floor..."
Dec 3, 2015 3:27 pm
"Some people have no manners. Back door then, let's check it out. I'd be willing to toss a brick through a window as well. You know, get their attention."
Dec 3, 2015 5:20 pm
"That might be too noisy Bart. Breaking in usually mean you don't want to attract attention. And there's also the fact that we'd end up vandalizing Mister Galenar's property who, as far as I can tell, hasn't done anything wrong and might very well be the victim in all of this."
Dec 3, 2015 5:32 pm
"Suit yourself, let's try Alden's technical skills around back to see if he can get us in..."
Dec 3, 2015 6:01 pm
"Agreed" Alden goes around the house trying to be silent and to avoid the windows to look for a service door.
Dec 3, 2015 7:38 pm
You make your way around the back. One thing you notice is that the creeper vines are VERY dense on this side of the house. Some are thick as a man's arm. On the ground are pieces of broken stone finials - it is as if the vines grew very quickly, choking out the stone they entwined around.

The door to the kitchen area is partially obscured by vines and leaves. From the kitchen you can hear a clanking noise and see a reddish orange glow that seems in time to the clanking. The windows back here are barred on the ground level too.
Dec 3, 2015 9:51 pm
"Woah, what the... I've seen vines before but never ones like that. Well, as big as they are, I think we definitely could Climb to the upper stories. However, I think we can all agree that all this is definitely creepy."
Dec 3, 2015 10:42 pm
OOC: Is Alden able to reach and manipulate the door or is it covered by the vines? what about the windows can I see anything through them?
Last edited December 3, 2015 10:43 pm
Dec 3, 2015 10:54 pm
You think you could part the vines, might have to hack one or two, to get access to the door. You look into the windows, the kitchen is dark. Occasionally, there is a flash of orange/red and a clanking noise. There are other windows that must look into other rooms. No light comes through those windows.
Dec 3, 2015 11:06 pm
"It gets even creepier. Are you ready fellows? I'll try to open the door..."

Alden waits for the group to get ready and then:

Rolls

Lookig for traps 19 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Lockpicking 19 - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Dec 3, 2015 11:29 pm
Alden sees no traps and successfully unlocks the door
Dec 4, 2015 12:51 am
"Nicely done Alden!" Bart says with an apologetic shrug to Estebar as he sets down the cinder block. "Perhaps we should let Gertrude lead the way?" Bart moves up as if to lead the way into the house.
Dec 4, 2015 12:53 am
The others line up and Bart. It's dark, you may need a torch or lantern to see accurately.
Dec 4, 2015 1:46 am
"Hold on, I'll light a torch... Guess I'm going shieldless once again..."
Dec 5, 2015 2:00 pm
The torchlight provides some visibility into the dark kitchen. You hear flies buzzing and the smell of rot fills your nostrils. There is a pile of dishes in a wash basin, molded bread on a chopping block. The floor is covered in a fog, making it impossible to see the floor. You feel there is some sort of 'current' in the fog, and it flows from the doorway to the hall.

But what really disturbs you is the oven. The iron object has been warped or twisted, it now looks like a face, with the oven door a mouth. It actually laughs as you enter, filling the room with an eerie red/orange light from the fire within. "HUNGRY! ME EAT YOU!!!! BURRRN YOU!"
Dec 5, 2015 2:46 pm
ROUND 1

12 Alden (HP: 14/14) (DEF: 6)
09 Esteber (22/22) (DEF: 16)
09 Bart (HP:18/26) (DEF: 13) SP=1
08 Nightmare Oven (55%) (DEF: 19)
04 Herja (HP: 21/21) (DEF: 11/12)

MAP
Shoehaven Manor

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.

Dextolen sent a note to Dextolen
Dec 5, 2015 3:55 pm
As I don't think Alden is able to see the Nightmare Oven yet I'll delay his action for now.
Dec 5, 2015 6:52 pm
"I'm not sure what sort of abomination you are, but I'm not interested in dying to some mere kitchen appliance..."
Esteber will attack the stove.

Rolls

Esteber's attack (MAT 15) - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Stove's DEF (DEF 19, -2 for broadsword, total CTN 17) - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Dec 5, 2015 8:48 pm
"DIE FELL APPLIANCE!!"

Bart brings Gertrude down on the vile monster with a heavy swing.

Rolls

Defence 19 - 5= 14 - (1d20)

(13) = 13

MAT 19 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Dec 6, 2015 1:53 am
The oven chomps at Esteber and blows a gout of flame at Bart!

Esteber blocks but Bart feels the fireball of heat burn under his armor, taking 8 pts of damage

Rolls

Nightmare Oven Bite MAT 18 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Esteber DEF 16-1 =15 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Nightmare Oven Blast RAT 10-1-9 (Undefendable) - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Dec 6, 2015 7:09 am
Herja keeps her broadsword in hand but drops her shield and reaches for Bart.

Herja's shieldless DEF is 11.

Rolls

Healing Touch Bart: TSC (8) + SM (1) + Caregiver (3) = CTN (12) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Dec 6, 2015 7:47 am
Ok, now alden will go into the kitchen and shoot the oven "Bake this fiend!!"

Rolls

attack 21 (second dice) - (1d20)

(4) = 4

oven def 18 - (1d20)

(20) = 20

attack 21 (the forum ignored my first one) - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Dec 6, 2015 4:41 pm
ROUND 2

12 Alden (HP: 14/14) (DEF: 6) SP=1
09 Esteber (22/22) (DEF: 16)
09 Bart (HP:18/26) (DEF: 13) SP=1
08 Nightmare Oven (55%) (DEF: 19)

MAP
Shoehaven Manor

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
The oven is on the ground, He is -2 to attack and DEF until he stands

Dec 6, 2015 10:09 pm
Alden continues shooting.

Rolls

Attack 21 first dice - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Attack 21 second dice - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Def 16 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Slayer dice for the second dice - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Dec 6, 2015 10:51 pm
Esteber will take advantage of the oven's fumble and try his best to finish it.

(OOC: Of course. Why would I expect anything else...)
Last edited December 6, 2015 10:52 pm

Rolls

(5) = 5

Oven's DEF (DEF 19, -2 for prone, -2 for broadsword, Total CTN 15) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Dec 7, 2015 12:04 am
Alden does 23 points of damage (19+8-4), slaying the Nightmare oven.

When you slay it, it now appears identical to a regular oven.

VICTORY
25 XP each
Dec 7, 2015 1:15 am
"We got attacked by an oven, an actual walking talking oven. Nobody will ever believe that..."
Dec 7, 2015 3:50 am
The small room to the north appears to be a fully stocked pantry. The eerie fog still streams in from the hallway. Occasionally weird lights flicker, playing tricks on your eyes. The door to the hall is partially open (updated map)

Down the hall you can hear some shuffling.
Dec 7, 2015 9:09 am
Esteber, with monsters about, maybe you'd better get rid of the torch and use that shield of yours. I'll light the way for us." Herja touches her own shield and it begins to glow. She picks up her sword and attempts to lay an enchantment on it as well. Her first attempt fizzles out but with a scowl Herja tries again and soon the sword also glows faintly.

She moves to Bart and does the same for Gertrude. Like before, it takes Herja a couple of tries.

"The enchantment will only last 2 minutes, so let's move!" Herja takes her place behind Bart and signals that she's ready to move on.
Last edited December 7, 2015 2:52 pm

Rolls

Light: CTN 13 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Enchant Weapon: CTN 8 - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Enchant Weapon: CTN 8 - (1d20, 1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (5) = 5

1d20 : (10) = 10

1d20 : (5) = 5

Enchant Weapon (Esteber): CTN 8 - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (4) = 4

1d20 : (3) = 3

Dec 7, 2015 10:40 am
Alden looks at his bow for a moment "...wow, that was a nice buying... I'm ready to move from this damned kitchen."
Dec 7, 2015 2:06 pm
Esteber will put his torch out and take his shield back out. Smiling at Herja. "That's a handy spell to have."
Dec 7, 2015 5:05 pm
"Thank you Herja. You are as helpful as you are lovely. Very well then, let's move out. I suggest that first door on the right."
Dec 8, 2015 3:46 pm
Alden approached the door carefully listening for a moment to try to find out if there is anyone inside.

Rolls

Detect Traps 19 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Disarm Traps (if any) 19 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Lockpicking 19 - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Listen 10 - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Dec 8, 2015 3:58 pm
The door appears untrapped and unlocked. You hear nothing beyond. However, you all hear noises from down the hall. There you see the butler hiding on a small couch, peering over the arm at you. He's holding a metal candlestick like a club and is nervously shivering. "Who....who..goes there?" he asks nervously.
Dec 8, 2015 4:15 pm
Esteber whispers "Hmm, crap, that guy could be a problem... We don't want him to contact the guards. I think we might have to confront him about what is going on in here. Sorry Herja, looks like we might be wasting your spell after all."
Dec 8, 2015 6:35 pm
Herja only shrugs and strides over to the butler. "What the hell is going on here, man?! Where's your master?"
Dec 8, 2015 6:38 pm
"Oh, it's you...What about that monster...the oven...?" he asks, nervously, looking past you to the kitchen door
Dec 8, 2015 6:39 pm
"We shut it up for the time being but it may get hungry again. I've a mind to feed you to it if you don't start answering our questions truthfully..."
Dec 8, 2015 7:05 pm
The man looks panicked. "Oh no, please!" He exclaims, then looks towards the stairs and speaks in a hushed voice. "The house has gone mad. They used to only appear at night. Now they are here around the clock. When you think they are dead, they come back the next evening!"
Dec 9, 2015 12:17 am
"And you decided to stay in here instead of leaving and go look for help? Where is Mister Galenar?"
Dec 9, 2015 1:08 am
"I thought it might just...go away. Clearly I was mistaken. Master Galenar is a private person. I feared that he would be damned by the Helianites for associating with the forces of darkness or something. If you can rid this place of whatever is plaguing it. I will pay you personally...with...this!" he produces diamond cuff links from his uniform. "They were a gift from the master."

"He's upstairs..but ...there are things up there. A butcher.....a porcine butcher...."
Dec 9, 2015 1:25 am
"I never performed an exorcism before. So when did those things started happening all the time? And has those things been happening at night all the time? Anything that you can tell us might be useful in helping us figure out what might be causing this..."
Dec 9, 2015 3:54 am
About a week ago. The master had retired to his room, he had just finished entertaining a guest. I was preparing to clean the dishes and retire for the evening when the oven attacked me. I ran away and up stairs where I encountered the master, he was sleeping in his chair but I could not wake him.

Things got more peculiar and I stayed here in the vestibule. It has been this way since. I didn't know what to do...
Dec 9, 2015 5:27 am
"So, the master has been sleeping ever since? If he's making all this in his sleep somehow, then this could explain why this used to happen only at night..."
Dec 9, 2015 6:51 am
Herja nods in appreciation of Esteber's reasoning. "Well then shall we wake him? Of course we'll probably have to fight to get to him."
Dec 9, 2015 6:38 pm
"Who was this guest of the master's? Perhaps they cursed your master. Regardless, we should go have a look at the ol' dreamer to see if we can wake him up."
Dec 9, 2015 6:44 pm
Drumley, the butler, looks uncomfortable. "A female associate. She is a neighborhood local, Ms. Red Kirsten. She and the master are...friends"
Dec 9, 2015 7:06 pm
"Curious that all this started after her last visit... Perhaps she has a jealous custom.. Er.. lover who discovered this affair. Have you spotted anyone else lurking the premises before that last visit with Red Kirsten?"
Dec 9, 2015 7:08 pm
"There have been visitors come calling since then, but I have sent them all away". From upstairs you hear a heavy grunting and snorting. Drumley looks terrified.
Dec 9, 2015 7:19 pm
"well, what do we say comrades? Shall we head upstairs and visit the master of the house? Looks like poor Drumley here is about to feint."
Dec 9, 2015 8:39 pm
"We'll recover your master and take you both out of here. But first we need to make sure you don't get attacked while we are upstairs, or are you coming with us?"

OOC: who you gonna call?
Dec 9, 2015 10:04 pm
"I'll stay here, thank you" he says, watching the stairs.
Dec 9, 2015 11:59 pm
"Very well, let's go wake up mister Galenar..."
Dec 10, 2015 2:40 am
At the stairway Herja pauses to enchant her blade once more.

Rolls

Enchant Weapon: CTN 8 - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (15) = 15

Dec 10, 2015 4:38 am
Esteber will slowly make his way upstairs, waiting for the others...
Dec 10, 2015 4:46 am
Bart is right behind Esteber, awkwardly trying to get in front of him.
Dec 10, 2015 4:51 am
Herja is right behind them, making sure the light of her shield lights their way.
Dec 13, 2015 10:55 pm
As Esteber reaches the 2nd floor looks down the hall, he is shocked to see a vision of a bloody butcher, with the head of a pig, rushing at him brandishing a bloody cleaver and butcher knife!

It squeals as it charges towards him!
Dec 13, 2015 11:03 pm
ROUND 1

12 Alden (HP: 14/14) (DEF: 6) +1 SP
10 Nightmare Butcher (30%) (DEF: 21)
09 Esteber (20/22) (DEF: 18/17)
09 Bart (HP:26/26) (DEF: 13)

MAP
Shoehaven Manor

Conditional Modifiers:
Herja has provided a light spell

Dec 14, 2015 8:21 am
I delay my action for now so I don't get in the way of the melee fighters.
Dec 14, 2015 3:44 pm
The butcher swings its weapons at Esteber!. Doing 2 pts of damage.

Rolls

Nightmare Butcher Chop CTN 20 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Esteber DEF: 17-2=15 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Nightmare Butcher Stab CTN 20 - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Esteber DEF 17 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Dec 14, 2015 5:26 pm
Esteber will slash at the butcher and then take a step back so hat more people can join the fight.

Rolls

(18) = 18

Butcher's DEF (DEF 21, -2 broadsword, total CTN 19) - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Dec 15, 2015 3:45 pm
Bart will step up and take a swing at the butcher. "I'm going to draw it back behind Esteber, there's more room there!"

Rolls

MAT 19 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

DEF 21-4=17 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Dec 15, 2015 8:08 pm
Herja nods grimly in response to Bart's suggested strategy, and positions herself behind Esteber.

Rolls

Healing Touch Esteber CTN 12 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Dec 15, 2015 8:16 pm
Alden moves beside Herja and an arrow flies to the nightmarish creature.

Rolls

Attack 21 first dice - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Attack21 second dice - (1d20)

(6) = 6

def 21 first dice - (1d20)

(2) = 2

def 21 second dice - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Dec 15, 2015 8:37 pm
Alden would have been -2 to hit because of his allies. Making his new CTN 19. 16 is still a hit, doing 10 pts of damage to the beast +1 SP
Dec 15, 2015 8:38 pm
ROUND 2

10 Nightmare Butcher (24%) (DEF: 21)
09 Esteber (20/22) (DEF: 18/17) +1 SP
09 Bart (HP:21/26) (DEF: 13) +1 SP

MAP
Shoehaven Manor

Conditional Modifiers:
The Nightmare Butcher is on the ground (-2 Atk, -2 DEF)

Dec 15, 2015 8:51 pm
Alden shoots again and moves a few steps back to avoid being in the way of the fighters.

Rolls

attack 21 first dice - (1d20)

(3) = 3

attack 21 second dice - (1d20)

(14) = 14

def 21 first dice - (1d20)

(14) = 14

def 21 second dice - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Dec 15, 2015 9:01 pm
ParvusDomus says:
Alden shoots again and moves a few steps back to avoid being in the way of the fighters.
The opponent only rolls DEF once, you're still making a single attack. Also, you need to roll on two separate CTNs; one at 21 and one at 1 (yeah I know), and if your first roll is not a Fumble (20), you then get to assign your rolls to each CTN as you please.
Last edited December 15, 2015 9:01 pm
Dec 16, 2015 12:00 am
The butcher's def is 21, so he's doing it right
Dec 16, 2015 12:03 am
The Butcher slices at Bart with his Cleaver and Esteber with his knife!
Doing 5pts of damage to Bart!

Rolls

Nightmare Butcher Chops Bart CTN 20 - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Bart DEF 13-2=11 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Nightmare Butcher stabs Esteber CTN 20 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Esteber DEF 17 - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Dec 16, 2015 12:24 am
"Ambidextrous I see... Vile abomination!"

Esteber will stab at the butcher.

(OOC: ROFLMAO! XD )
Last edited December 16, 2015 12:24 am

Rolls

(3) = 3

(20) = 20

Jan 10, 2016 11:56 am
Bart swings Gertrude II at the porcine monstrosity - "Bacon time!"

Rolls

Bart Attacks MAT 19 - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Nightmare Butcher DEF 21-4 = 17 - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Jan 10, 2016 11:58 am
Bart spends 1 SP to pick up Gertrude
Jan 10, 2016 2:51 pm
Healing Touch Bart

Rolls

Healing Touch Bart CTN 12 - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Jan 10, 2016 3:29 pm
ROUND 3

10 Nightmare Butcher (6%) (DEF: 21)
09 Esteber (20/22) (DEF: 18/17)
09 Bart (HP:11/26) (DEF: 13) SP=1

MAP
Shoehaven Manor

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber dropped his weapon

Jan 11, 2016 9:48 am
"Die you swine!"

Rolls

attack 21-2 (allies)=19 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

def 21 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

def 21 - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Jan 11, 2016 3:38 pm
The butcher puts both weapons on Bart for 10pts of damage!

Rolls

Nightmare Butcher Attacks Bart 20 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Bart DEF 13-2=11 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Nightmare Butcher Attacks Bart 20 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Bart DEF 13 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Jan 11, 2016 4:19 pm
Esteber will swing at the butcher again.

Edit: -_-
Last edited January 11, 2016 4:19 pm

Rolls

(20) = 20

(1) = 1

Jan 11, 2016 4:34 pm
Esteber hears the familiar clang of his weapon dropping
Jan 11, 2016 4:35 pm
Bart swings gertrude

Rolls

Bart Attacks - (1d20)

(8) = 8

(19) = 19

Jan 11, 2016 4:36 pm
+1 SP to Bart, the Nightmare Butcher looks close to death
Jan 11, 2016 8:01 pm
Healing Touch Bart

Rolls

(19) = 19

Jan 11, 2016 8:07 pm
ROUND 4

12 Alden (HP: 14/14) (DEF: 6)
10 Nightmare Butcher (6%) (DEF: 21)
09 Esteber (15/22) (DEF: 18/17)
09 Bart (HP:11/26) (DEF: 13)

MAP
Shoehaven Manor

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber dropped his weapon

Jan 12, 2016 9:37 am
Alden tries to shoot again but the bow slips and it's about to fall (spends 1 SP to pick the bow up)
Last edited January 12, 2016 9:39 am

Rolls

attack 21-2 (allies)=19 - (1d20)

(20) = 20

def 21 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

def 21 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Jan 12, 2016 5:30 pm
The Nightmare Butcher turns to Esteber, hacking away, causing 5 damage!

Rolls

Nightmare Butcher attacks 20 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Esteber DEF 18-2=16 - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Nightmare Butcher attacks 20 - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Esteber DEF 18 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Jan 12, 2016 7:13 pm
"Don't think that because I dropped my sword I'm of no danger to you, you porcine chimera!"

Using Lightning Reflexes, Esteber will pick up his sword as a free action and then attack the butcher again.

Rolls

(5) = 5

(15) = 15

Jan 12, 2016 8:08 pm
Bart smirks "T-T-T-THAT'S ALL FOLKS!" to the pig man as he swings Gertrude at him, cutting his head off.

VICTORY!

22 XP each!

Rolls

Bart Attack - (1d20)

(14) = 14

(19) = 19

Jan 12, 2016 8:12 pm
The remains of the nightmare butcher fade into the fog that covers the floor, soon, all traces of him are gone.
Jan 13, 2016 12:28 am
"Alright, as soon as you guys are ready to go, let's go wake up the master of the house before we get attacked by a flying chamber pot..."
Jan 13, 2016 5:44 am
"Your wounds..."

Rolls

(2) = 2

Feb 5, 2016 3:02 am
So you are all standing in a hall with a floor covered in mist. Which door do you choose?

map
Feb 5, 2016 8:20 am
Alden tries to listen at the door closest to him.

Rolls

Listening MND+IN =10 - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Slayer Dice TN 10 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Feb 5, 2016 2:05 pm
Alden hears loud, but calm breathing. There is a bit of flickering light coming from underneath the door, he can also see that fog seems to be emanating from the room beyond.
Feb 5, 2016 3:14 pm
Esteber takes his time to catch his breath, remaining alert in case they're attacked again while Alden listens at the door. "We should have probably asked the butler exactly which room is the master's bedroom... Does that sounds like someone is sleeping in there?"
Feb 5, 2016 3:55 pm
"I can hear a loud breathing and see some light, and on top of that some of that nasty fog is coming from that room." Alden whispers to Esteber.
Feb 5, 2016 4:09 pm
"Hmm, could be someone sleeping or the weird breathing of some animated furniture... How about you listen to the adjacent doors? This should give Herja some time to help with our wounds and maybe enchant our weapons."

He turns to Herja, giving her a nod and a wink, indicating he appreciates her help and skills.
Feb 8, 2016 8:41 am
"That eerie glow leads me to think that the contens of this room are of an arcane nature, maybe the sleeper is dreaming all those monsters? if so shouldn't we wake him up?"

Alden proceeds to check the two closer rooms (counter-clockwise)

Rolls

(4) = 4

(11) = 11

Feb 8, 2016 1:54 pm
No noises come from behind either door.
Feb 8, 2016 4:09 pm
"Alright, Guess we should go through that door then..."
Esteber proceeds to open the door. Unless someone objects to it or prefer to open it themself....
Feb 8, 2016 5:07 pm
This sitting room contains comfortable looking furniture, a bookshelf full of cobbling-related books. Every flat surface of the room is literally covered with burning candles, making the room quite bright.

Sitting in a plush reading chair, with a large tome open beside it on an end table, is an older man. His eyes are rolled back in their sockets, showing only the whites. This must be Master Gallenar. Resting atop his head is an ornate crown. The design features a bronze tree on the front, embedded with pulsing green gemstones.

As soon as you step into the room, the candles begin to dissolve and come together into a nightmarish bipedal form!
Feb 8, 2016 5:11 pm
ROUND 1

09 Esteber (HP: 22/22) (DEF: 18/17)
09 Bart (HP:26/26) (DEF: 13) +1 SP
03 Wax Nightmare (HP: 75%) (DEF: 16)

MAP
Shoehaven Manor

Conditional Modifiers:

Feb 8, 2016 10:15 pm
Alden goes into the room and gets out of the way for the others to come in too.

"Die you .... oh... you waxy... whatever... this mansion is too weird for me, just die"

Rolls

Attack 19 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Def 16 - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Feb 9, 2016 12:01 am
Esteber will quickly step in to stab at eh wax abomination.

"Yeah, I agree with Alden, those chimeras are getting ridiculous..."

Rolls

Esteber's attack (MAT15) - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Wax Construct (DEF16, -2 broadsword, total CTN 14) - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Feb 9, 2016 1:59 pm
+1 SP to Alden. He does notice, however that his arrow shoots right through the waxy flesh, giving him the feeling that while the hit was strong it had less effect than it should have.

Bart attacks

Rolls

Bart Attack - (1d20)

(15) = 15

DEF 16-4=12 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Feb 9, 2016 2:00 pm
Likewise with Bart's slice, he goes right through the waxy arm of the beast, it seems to re-adhere almost immediately.

+1 SP to Bart
Feb 9, 2016 2:58 pm
Realizing everyone's non-magical weapons aren't having much effect on the monster, Herja attempts to change her readied spell.

Rolls

Change spell MND+IN 12 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Feb 9, 2016 10:14 pm
Molten wax appendages reach out, one for Esteber and one for Bart!

Rolls

Wax Nightmare attacks CTN 21 - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (14) = 14

Esteber DEF 18 - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Wax Nightmare attacks CTN 21 - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (1) = 1

Bart DEF 13 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Feb 9, 2016 10:16 pm
coup on Bart

Rolls

Coup - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Feb 9, 2016 10:17 pm
Esteber takes 9 pts of hot wax damage, and Bart suffers 16!
Feb 9, 2016 10:18 pm
ROUND 2

09 Esteber (HP: 13/22) (DEF: 18/17) +1 SP
09 Bart (HP:10/26) (DEF: 13) +2 SP
03 Wax Nightmare (HP: 70%) (DEF: 16)

MAP
Shoehaven Manor

Conditional Modifiers:

Feb 10, 2016 8:02 am
Alden runs to Gallenar to try to remove the crown from him and to wake him up while the fighters distract the wax golem.

"Keep him busy, I'm going to try to wake the dreamer up."
Feb 10, 2016 12:30 pm
Alden finds the crown is stuck fast. If he wishes, he can make a Feat of Strength check (BOD+ST) or if he wishes to try to strike it off with an attack, that is possible - but it could harm Gallenar.
Feb 10, 2016 12:48 pm
If we kill the golem more monsters might appear from this guy's dreams so I think removing the crown is our best shot for now. But I'm not the strongest guy here, is there any "clever" way to do that? maybe prying it up using my bow as a crowbar? or has it any "button" or "mechanism" to deactivate it?

I'd rather spend a couple turns trying to figure out a better way of doing this than directly using my meager strenght.
Feb 10, 2016 4:22 pm
"You might break your bow doing this. Don't you have a back up melee weapon like a dagger or a short sword you could use instead?"

Esteber will try another attack at the wax nightmare.

Rolls

(3) = 3

(2) = 2

Feb 10, 2016 4:42 pm
Esteber's sword pokes at the wax body (+1 SP)

Bart Swings again

Rolls

Bart Attack - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Wax Nightmare DEF -4 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Feb 10, 2016 5:02 pm
Having been unsuccessful in her attempt to swap her readied spell, Herja goes ahead and uses her healing spell on Bart.

Rolls

Healing Touch Bart CTN=12 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Feb 10, 2016 6:48 pm
The wax nightmare strikes again at Esteber and Bart!

Doing 6 to Esteber and 9 to Bart!

Rolls

Wax Nightmare attacks - (1d20, 1d20)

Esteber DEF 18 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Wax Nightmare Attacks - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (16) = 16

1d20 : (4) = 4

Bart DEF 13 - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Feb 10, 2016 6:49 pm
ROUND 3

09 Esteber (HP: 7/22) (DEF: 18/17) +1 SP
09 Bart (HP:0/26) (DEF: 13)
04 Herja (HP: 21/21) (DEF: 11/12) +1 SP
03 Wax Nightmare (HP: 30%) (DEF: 16)

MAP
Shoehaven Manor

Conditional Modifiers:
Alden is working on deactivating the crown ☑ ☐ ☐

Feb 11, 2016 11:32 am
OOC:
Has Alden found a better way to deal with the crown (maybe a lockpicking or perception roll?) or should I definitely try a Feat of Strength?
Feb 11, 2016 1:20 pm
You are inspecting the crown and it appears that the bronze, bejeweled tree motif is a separate piece of metalwork. Perhaps you could jimmy that off? You are not sure how doing anything to the crown would affect Galenar.
Feb 11, 2016 2:19 pm
OOC:
Well I'll give it a try, need any roll?
Feb 11, 2016 2:44 pm
MND+DX+Thievery should be about right...
Feb 11, 2016 2:52 pm
There you go

Rolls

MND+DX+THIEVERY 19 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Feb 11, 2016 3:29 pm
Alden feels that he can pry the front piece off the crown with a bit of work (3 successful MND+DX+Thievery checks over 3 rounds)

☑ ☐ ☐
Feb 11, 2016 3:59 pm
Seeing how hard this thing hits, Esteber will take his Slayer Point to increase his DEF by 3, from 18 to 21 (I highly suggest Bart does this as well.... XD). He will also slash at the creature again.
OOC:
Cool, I'll have another SP to spend to boost me DEF next round... :D
Last edited February 11, 2016 3:59 pm

Rolls

(12) = 12

(6) = 6

Feb 11, 2016 5:15 pm
Noted on the SP

The wax creature is starting to show some signs of damage. It seems like it's having more trouble holding together.

Bart Swings Gertrude II

Rolls

Bart Attacks - (1d20)

(13) = 13

(8) = 8

Feb 11, 2016 5:16 pm
Bart turns in his 3 SP and attacks again!

The creature looks even worse, but still stands.

Rolls

Bart Attacks - (1d20)

(14) = 14

(9) = 9

Feb 12, 2016 2:30 pm
Herja tries her healing magic on Bart again.

Rolls

Healing Touch Bart CTN=12 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Feb 12, 2016 3:17 pm
The Wax nightmare turns - attacking Alden with one arm and Bart with the other.

The arm attacking Alden slips and falls off, plopping on the floor. It slowly oozes back towards the body (One less attack next round).

The arm attacking Bart slams him, hard (11 pts damage) the burly fighter falls unconscious to the floor.

Rolls

1d20 : (20) = 20

1d20 : (13) = 13

Alden DEF - (1d20)

(14) = 14

1d20 : (18) = 18

1d20 : (9) = 9

Bart DEF 13 - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Feb 12, 2016 3:20 pm
ROUND 4

12 Alden (HP: 4/14) (DEF: 6) +1 SP
09 Esteber (HP: 18/22) (DEF: 18/17) +2 SP
04 Herja (HP: 21/21) (DEF: 11/12) +2 SP

MAP
Shoehaven Manor

Conditional Modifiers:
Alden is working on deactivating the crown ☑ ☑ ☐
Bart is unconscious
Wax Nightmare is reduced to one attack this round.

Feb 12, 2016 3:26 pm
Alden continues trying to "disarm" the crown.

Rolls

(6) = 6

Feb 12, 2016 3:42 pm
Another success! ☑ ☑ ☐ The room flickers and for a moment, the wax nightmare blinks out of existence, but then it comes back.
Feb 12, 2016 11:12 pm
Hoping to finish this creature off as quickly as possible, Esteber will instead put in SP into lowering the wax nightmare's DEF by 1 point while striking it, counting on his Dodge talent to keep him alive...

Rolls

(10) = 10

Wax Construct (DEF16, -2 broadsword, -1 SP, total CTN 13) - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Feb 13, 2016 12:16 am
Since Bart is X_X

Herja's turn
Feb 13, 2016 12:25 am
Frustrated that she was unable to keep Bart from going down, Herja hopes she has better luck with Esteber.

Rolls

Healing Touch Esteber CTN 12 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Feb 13, 2016 12:51 am
"Thank you oh so kindly Herja, you're an angel!"
Feb 13, 2016 4:05 am
+1 SP to Herja

The wax nightmare attacks Alden with his good arm, Doing 10 pts of damage

Rolls

Wax Nightmare Attacck - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (2) = 2

Alden DEF - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Feb 13, 2016 4:08 am
ROUND 5

12 Alden (HP: 4/14) (DEF: 6) +1 SP
09 Esteber (HP: 18/22) (DEF: 18/17) +2 SP
04 Herja (HP: 21/21) (DEF: 11/12) +2 SP

MAP
Shoehaven Manor

Conditional Modifiers:
Alden is working on deactivating the crown ☑ ☑ ☐
Bart is unconscious

Feb 15, 2016 8:57 am
Alden screams in pain when he receives that attack, he's almost fainting from the pain but that sudden attack only makes him more determined on his task.

Rolls

(10) = 10

Feb 15, 2016 11:37 am
There is a crack in the air as everything disappears. You are left in a dark room with Galanar at stirring from his slumber. Herja lights the room and Galanar squint sleepily.

"What...what happened to me...?" He asks. His nightshirt is soaked in sweat and it appears he has soiled himself repeatedly. He looks dehydrated and gaunt.
VICTORY!
40 XP each
Feb 15, 2016 4:25 pm
"Lord Galenar, perhaps we should give you some time to clean yourself and be more presentable while we tend to our wounded. We can then discuss in your living room when you are ready and presentable. Your butler is still downstairs, you can call on him to help you out, he should also be able to clue you up on what happened here in those past weeks..."

Esteber turns to look at Bart on the ground and then at Herja.

"Herja, is Bart still alive?"
OOC:
Hum, does anyone else has this problem? I went to add those 40XP to my character sheet and it looks like its gone...
Last edited February 15, 2016 4:26 pm
Feb 15, 2016 5:02 pm
OOC:
Same for me. Luckily we still have a backup at the "Inn"
Feb 15, 2016 5:34 pm
Galenar looks down at his appearance and is shocked. "How long have I...." at this time his butler bursts into the room, thanking you.

"Please allow me to tend to the Master, you are welcome to return tomorrow or stay in the waiting room."
Feb 15, 2016 7:04 pm
"Considering we have a companion who may or may not be dead, we'll probably borrow your waiting room..."
ParvusDomus says:
OOC:
Same for me. Luckily we still have a backup at the "Inn"
OOC:
Yeah, same for me, although, not every one seemed to be keeping their characters up to date... Oops! XD
Last edited February 15, 2016 7:05 pm
Feb 17, 2016 11:49 am
Herja heals everyone, including Bart who was pretty busted up. In a few minutes, the butler comes down and prepares tea and biscuits for you. Galenar comes downstairs refreshed.
Feb 17, 2016 3:02 pm
"Sir Galenar, how are you faring? I take it your butler already informed you a bit on what happened here?"
Feb 17, 2016 4:35 pm
Galenar listens to your tale, wide eyed. He confirms seeing all of the nightmare creatures in his dreams.

His memory is foggy and he can't recall the recent days' events. When you ask about the crown, he knows Red Kirsten gave it to him but cannot remember where she got it or why she gave it to him. Galenar is extremely grateful to you all. He gives you each 100GP and asks for your discretion in the matter.

With that, it appears he is ready to retire for the evening (it is very early in the am hours now).
Feb 17, 2016 4:45 pm
"Red Kirsten uh? Interesting..." says Alden while firmly grasping the bag where he put the dismounted crown.

After Galenar retires he adds "As the lady didn't gave us instructions to recover the item I think we should hide it for now. I don't trust her"
Feb 17, 2016 4:48 pm
SCENARIO COMPLETE
+25 XP each for rescuing Galenar without harming him
Feb 17, 2016 6:23 pm
"Indeed, this is highly suspicious. But there are things that bothers me, things that don't quite seem to make sense... Perhaps we'll see if we ever meet her again. In the meantime, I suggest sir Galenar stays away from her until we can sort this mess out."
Feb 18, 2016 7:40 pm
So. It's late...or early, depending on your outlook. Where are you headed?
Feb 18, 2016 8:06 pm
"I told you boys that woman was nothing but trouble! But why would she cause all this, only to send us here to rescue Mister Galenar?"
Last edited February 18, 2016 8:08 pm
Feb 19, 2016 1:50 am
"Exactly Herja. Maybe she was hoping we'd fail, but she had to know there would be a chance we'd make it. Something is not quite right here. Well anyways, maybe we should try to find an inn and get some shut eye, we can discuss this at length tomorrow."
Last edited February 19, 2016 1:50 am
Feb 19, 2016 11:26 am
The group makes its way to an inn and beds down for the night.
Feb 20, 2016 4:42 pm
In the morning you awaken to find Bart has departed. A note reads: "Guys, The battle against the nightmare stuff really messed me up. I'm taking some time off for a while. I'll catch up to you guys some day. Bart"
Feb 20, 2016 8:37 pm
"Well, seems we're losing members left and right... Oh well, I guess we should see if we can find miss Red Kristen again to see if we can get to the bottom of this, and well, since we got hired for this mission, I assume we should then visit the Adventurer's Guild office."
Feb 21, 2016 5:53 am
"Oh wait, Kristen and sir Galenar both wanted our discretion. I guess we won't go the the Adventuring Guild then..."
Feb 22, 2016 9:01 am
"You are right we should be discreet, let me hide that cursed crown, just in case, and we can go find the lady"
Feb 22, 2016 4:07 pm
"Actually, we should probably try and figure out what that crown can do, and maybe find a way to either destroy it, or make sure it will never inconvenience anyone again... Herja, can you try and figure out what this crown is using your magic powers?"
Feb 22, 2016 7:46 pm
Herja takes the crown gingerly and concentrates.

Rolls

Identify? magic item - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Feb 22, 2016 8:49 pm
MND +AU to detect if something is magical (not necessary as it was glowing and when it was broken the spell stopped!)

MND + IN to identify the magic

Herja senses that the item is no longer magical after having been damaged.
Feb 23, 2016 12:43 am
"Thank you Herja. Hmm, no longer magical eh? I guess there is no longer any need for us to destroy or get rid of it then. I assume a collector of antique might be interested in it though... But first, we should probably return to the Gray Mule and see if we can find miss Red Kristen there so we can get more answers..."
Feb 23, 2016 8:34 am
"Knowing it is no longer capable of creating nightmares and bring them to life is a relief"
Feb 23, 2016 2:31 pm
The Gray Mule doesn't open until noon and one would suspect that Kirsten would not be there until the evening. Is there anything you'd like to do or investigate before then?
Feb 23, 2016 2:49 pm
I'd like to sell my long bow and buy a brand new elven bow :)
Feb 23, 2016 2:50 pm
"I wonder if Atarin would know anything about that crown?"
Feb 23, 2016 3:07 pm
You know where he is staying if you wanted to ask him about it
Feb 23, 2016 5:26 pm
"A wonderful idea Herja! Perhaps we both could bring him the crown while Alden goes shopping..."
Feb 23, 2016 6:01 pm
You make your way over to the city center, where Atarin is staying. You almost don't recognize him after a few days of proper eating and a bath. He's dressed more scholarly and has had a shave and haircut. He greets you, saying he's still ironing out the details of what is next for his archaeological delve on the coast. You show him the crown, describing the events, and he studies it carefully. His eyes light up and he exclaims.

"Ah... clearly an object from the time of the Earth Mother"

"The Earth Mother..." Herja ponders the name aloud.

"Yes, the proto-deity of Caera. During the Time of Twilight. Before the sun and moon, light and dark, good and evil. Our ancient history. When the separation of these forces shook the world and the Earth Mother sacrificed herself to save Caera and the Sundering occurred - the Godsfall. The creation of Helia, Baarn and all the other deities. Powerful entities that had to gather unto themselves worshipers to validate their power and continue their existences.

In the time of the Earth Mother, she was attended to by the Druun, an order of men who kept the secrets of her worship to themselves. This item is one of their relics. Astounding discovery! I wonder where it came from?

This part here that you have broken off, the oak tree with a face, this signifies dreams and portents. A druunic priest would have probably used this crown to speak to their deity and receive visions. To an unskilled person, this could have produced dire nightmares and uncontrolled wild magic side effects.

Even now rendered useless, it is a highly desirable artifact. I would suspect it would fetch 1,000 gold pieces from the right people. Some people within my circles, in fact. I could, for a fee to help fund my research, find a seller for you."
Feb 23, 2016 10:11 pm
"A druunic artifact eh? I assume those don't just lay around where just about everyone can find them... Where would one need to go in order to have the best chance of finding one such artifact?"
Feb 24, 2016 4:00 am
"This was the dominant religion all over the world 1,000 years ago. It could be anywhere, but for artifacts to have survived ... how did you come across this?"
Feb 24, 2016 4:15 pm
"Let's just say we were hired to clear a house full of nightmarish creatures..."
Feb 24, 2016 9:43 pm
"If it is yours to sell, let me know." Atarin smiles and hands you back the crown.
Feb 25, 2016 12:35 am
"We might need it to get some answers out of someone first, but it might very well end up for sale afterwards..."
Feb 29, 2016 1:46 pm
So what would you like to do now?
Feb 29, 2016 4:40 pm
"Hmm, we still have several hours to kill before the evening... we should do as Alden is doing and perhaps do some shopping as well?"
OOC:
What would good quality weapons and armor do? (DS4 p.76)
Feb 29, 2016 6:58 pm
Esteber will head to the merchant quarter, trying to find a good quality broadsword, good quality chainmail, good quality leather vambraces and greaves, and good quality metal helmet (and wonder if I should trade my metal shield for a good quality wooden one then...). Then I might try and get a few more consumables (potions, weapon pastes, etc.)
Last edited February 29, 2016 7:01 pm
Mar 2, 2016 12:39 am
OK, make your purchases and then we'll move to the evening and a trip to the Gray Mule.
Mar 2, 2016 8:01 pm
As the sun begins to set, you show off your new gear to your fellow adventurers, feeling an empty spot with Bart no longer with you, you trod over to the Grey Mule.

Cobblers and other merchants close shop and head over to the tavern. You catch some of their chatter - two old guys going on about faerie lights seen in the sky. How if they appear over your house at night, your wife is amorous and a little fun is had! The two men are eager for the event to occur at their homes as their wives have been dead fish.

The Mule is jumping, you look around and do not see Red Kirsten or the other two (Jennan and Molli) yet.
Mar 2, 2016 10:21 pm
"You guys think those fearie lights might be something worth investigating or could they simply the rambunctious men version of old wives tales?"
Mar 3, 2016 2:17 pm
Roeban, you are sipping your drink in the Gray Mule when you see a group enter that doesn't fit this place's typical patronage (cobblers). There is a strapping looking warrior, an armored woman with a serious countenance and a shifty looking ranger. They enter and look around as if they are searching for someone. They eventually take a seat at a table and order.
Mar 3, 2016 2:23 pm
"Hmm, seems that we're not the only one waiting for someone here..."

Esteber will stand up and make his way to their table.

"Hello fellow adventurers! I assume you're in town for the Adventurer's Guild?"

As he says that, he checks to see it they have the guild's bracelets.
Mar 5, 2016 11:45 pm
"Those people look like they might know where I can find work," Roeban thinks to himself. If there is an empty table or booth within earshot, Roeban will sit over there. If not, he'll keep an eye on them from where he is.
Mar 6, 2016 3:53 pm
The gray mule continues to fill with patrons. After an hour or so, the adventurers are not the only ones wondering where Red, Molli and Jennan are. It soon becomes apparent that the girls are not showing up. Perhaps someone knows more about where they may be.
Mar 6, 2016 6:15 pm
"Well, this is starting to be incriminating..."

Seeing the adventuring group is giving Esteber the silent treatment, he leaves them be and makes his way to other patrons.

"Hello there gentlemen. Seems everyone here is waiting on someone..."
Mar 6, 2016 7:25 pm
Roeban sees one of the gentlemen he'd been watching making his rounds and takes the opportunity to strike up a conversation.

"Indeed I am, though I must admit I have no idea whom it may be as of yet. You look as if you and your companions may be of the adventurous sort... Possibly the adventurous sort that stands to gain some profit from your endeavors. I, on the bother hand, am not as of yet; but I would like to be? Do you and your companions, by any chance, have need of a simple floorsweep with a few parlor tricks up his sleeve?"
Mar 6, 2016 8:04 pm
"Well, you are in luck, this town hosts the very first Adventurer's Guild! They should provide ample help for you starting your career of adventurer. As for joining our groups, I do not object, however, I do not speak for the others. Also, I'm not quite sure how handy floor sweeping and parlour tricks will come...Who knows, maybe you'll discover yourself some new talent while adventuring?"
Mar 7, 2016 11:18 am
"Hail and well met, young fellow. My name is Alden, and my friends here are the Esteber the swordsman, fast with blade and wit and Herja the warmaiden as fair as powerfull."
OOC:
OOC: Sorry for not posting lately. I've just recovered from a bad case of "man flu" :(
OOC2: Finally as we are not in a Elven settlement Alden couldn't find an elven bow so he bought a good quality longbow, leather armour (complete) and lockpicks, and a regular dagger.
Last edited March 7, 2016 8:18 pm
Mar 9, 2016 3:52 pm
Bart walks up to the table and takes the empty seat. "I see you saved my chair! Perfect. Who's the new guy?"
Bart shrugs at his companions likely confused stares, and takes a long draw from Esteber's pint.
Mar 9, 2016 8:28 pm
Esteber incredulously stares at Bart

"I thought you were taking some time off because our last adventure messed you up..."
Mar 9, 2016 8:32 pm
Roeban sits quietly, gauging to see if this seems like a cohesive adventuring party or if he can foresee bickering and squabbling in the future.
Mar 10, 2016 2:35 am
Herja nods to Roeban when Esteber makes the introductions. When Bart rejoins them unexpectedly she gives him one of her rarely-seen smiles. "I'm glad you're back, Bart!"
Mar 10, 2016 10:08 am
Alden blinks in disbelief when Bart suddenly appears and continues like nothing happened "...oh, and this big fellow is Bart, of strong arm and changing desires..."
Mar 10, 2016 1:57 pm
The Gray Mule starts filling as the sun sets. When the harlots don't arrive, the old cobblers and merchants start chanting for them. Molli - Molli - Molli - Red - Red - Red - and eventually, even Jen - Jen - Jen.

You overhear one cobbler say he saw Molli and Jennan heading up the stairs of the Red Door Tenement last night. "Silly girls, what are they doing in Hounds of Camber territory? Don't they make enough from our poor old souls?"
Mar 10, 2016 2:23 pm
"it's good to be back friends, I'll tell you Esteber, Gertrude was insufferable. She wouldn't let me lead a normal life had I really wanted to..."
At the sounds of the chanting, Bart looks up, "it looks like we're in for some entertainment!"
Mar 10, 2016 2:52 pm
Roeban's ears prick up at the old cobbler's conversations nearby.

He turns to his new drinking companions. "I'm sorry, but I believe I overheard you conversing earlier, the discussion being that you were looking for someone. It wouldn't happen to be that you're looking for the very same women that the rest of this evening's crowd is crying for, would it?"
Mar 10, 2016 3:19 pm
"Indeed, we are looking for the one called Red Kirsten. I wonder what kind of place that Red Door Tennement is?"
Mar 10, 2016 4:13 pm
"I've been there. They seem more active at night of course... rather listless by day. They employ a somewhat lax, yet gullibly charming set of guards to monitor their territory while they sleep."
Mar 10, 2016 9:42 pm
"We are, but not for the same reason those men are. Lets just say, we are looking for some answers... Hmm, perhaps we should go look at those Red Door Tenaments and see if Red Kristen is there."
Last edited March 10, 2016 9:43 pm
Mar 11, 2016 12:59 am
"This ale tastes sour anyway," Bart exclaims and slams Esteber's glass on the table, now empty. "Let's do this" Bart rises from his chair, stretches and awaits the rest of the party.
Mar 11, 2016 2:17 am
The Red Door tenements is a 4 story apartment where each apartment is accessed from a balcony walkway. There is a wooden stairway on the western side. Each floor above the ground floor has a flimsy looking wooden rail. Every door in the place is painted red- thus the name. Each floor has 6 apartments.

As the sun has set, the top (4th) floor of the tenement is quite busy. There are burly looking toughs drinking and laughing, occasionally punching each other in the arm in tests of strength and toughness. Several mean and raggedy dogs walk around the balcony, too. As you move closer, you also spy two more men on the stairs between floors 2 and 3. Several dogs walk around on the street near the tenement. People give both the dogs and the men wide berth.
Mar 11, 2016 2:52 am
"I assume these tenements will have some sort of landlord or landlady. We should probably try to look for some office where we can ask for directions. Perhaps those men over there might know where we should address our query..."

Esteber will approach the burly men and then introduce himself with a curt bow.

"Good evening dear sirs. Would any of you fine gentlemen would, by any chance know where we could find the landlord or landlady of the tenements? We are inquiring about the whereabouts of one of this fine establishment's tenants..."
Mar 14, 2016 1:25 am
You walk up the stairway to the men between the 2nd and 3rd floors.

They smell of cheap wine and after listening to you they smirk and one says "Ah, yeah. I'm the landlord. We can put you on the list for 20 gold. When an apartment comes up, we'll let you know"
Mar 15, 2016 1:33 am
"Oh, we are not looking for an apartment. We are inquiring to the whereabouts of Red Kristen. See, we had an appointment tonight at the Gray Mule, but she hasn't shown up at the designated hour..."
Mar 15, 2016 4:04 am
Bart says nothing and stands behind Esteber, arms crossed, observing the "toughs" in case they try anything cute.
Mar 15, 2016 10:34 am
"That whore? We ain't her pimp! Why don't you get lost!"
Mar 15, 2016 10:49 am
"And..." *starts playing with some coins in his hand* "...who is?"
Mar 15, 2016 12:08 pm
"You guys look like Adventurers Guild to me. This ain't no dungeon. You don't want to mess with the Hounds of Camber...." the tough looks wild eyed and unafraid. Two dogs that were sitting on the 3rd floor stoop growl quietly and walk down the stairs, sitting behind the two toughs.
Mar 15, 2016 2:26 pm
OOC:
Can you describe the dogs? Would Roeban recognize them
?
Last edited March 15, 2016 2:27 pm
Mar 15, 2016 3:40 pm
Roeban recognizes the two dogs.
OOC:
From your coup in interacting with them last night, they think Roeban is a member of the gang. They also think he is 'nice'
Mar 15, 2016 3:44 pm
Roeban squats down and slaps his thigh to get the two dogs to come over to him.
Mar 15, 2016 4:47 pm
The dogs immediately come over and stand expectantly in front of Roeban. The two toughs look shocked and quite pissed off. "Step off now or you're dead!" one says, holding his shortsword handle.
Mar 15, 2016 4:51 pm
"Sir, I do not know what your quarrel is with our new companion, but surely, there are better ways than violence to solve our differences."
Mar 15, 2016 5:01 pm
Standing behind Bart, Herja grips her sword.
OOC:
Is it possible to spellcast silently or quietly at least? Would Herja be able to cast Enchant Weapon without the Hounds noticing?
Mar 15, 2016 5:03 pm
Roeban scratches the dogs behind the ears.

"Which Hounds of Camber don't we want to go messing with? These two hounds? Mmm, yes these two Hounds of Camber are a couple of dangerous hounds indeed, aren't they? Are all of your hounds so terrifying?"
Mar 20, 2016 1:03 am
Bart will laugh out loud at the new situation the toughs have for themselves. "Haha, looks like you might have to do your own fighting boys! Gertrude would prefer it that way anyway."

Bart will take one step forward, arms still crossed.
Mar 22, 2016 12:23 pm
The two toughs look a bit concerned, clearly outnumbered. One makes a quick sharp whistle and the dogs heel. The two men (and the dogs) step back and carefully take the stairs back up to the fourth floor. One issues a warning "Stay outta Camber turf".
Mar 22, 2016 3:35 pm
"It was never our intention good sir. As I stated earlier, we are simply looking for a good friend of ours, Red Kristen. If you were to tell us in which room she lives, we'll be out of your hair as fast as we can."
Mar 22, 2016 5:10 pm
"It looks like they're out of our hair for now."
Mar 22, 2016 6:32 pm
"That whore don't live here..." one says as they retreat.
Mar 22, 2016 7:14 pm
"Thank you very much good sir. Would you happen to know where she resides then?"
Mar 23, 2016 1:21 pm
The two men mumble expletives and ignore you, walking back over to their fellow gang members on the fourth floor
Mar 23, 2016 3:47 pm
"Well, that's not very helpful. Guess we could ask around here then. Or maybe it's back to the Grey Mule and ask some more patrons if they know where Red Kristen stays..."
Mar 31, 2016 2:56 pm
From the fourth floor the gangers eye you carefully. Eventually a larger, more burly man steps out, a small keg of beer under his arm. He looks down at you, whispering to his fellow gang members.
Mar 31, 2016 9:21 pm
"This might be the hound they warned us about messing with..."
Apr 1, 2016 1:40 am
"Well, we're not messing with anyone, we're just looking for someone."
Apr 14, 2016 1:29 am
The men on the fourth floor keep an eye on you for a while, then go back to drinking. Someone pulls out a deck of cards and several go into one of the apartments.
Apr 14, 2016 1:39 am
"We're not getting any help here... Let's go back to The Grey Mule, maybe Red Kristen will be there or maybe someone else will be able to tell us where else she might be staying..."
May 2, 2016 4:31 pm
You make your way to the tavern. When you open the door the crowd turns and their faces quickly drop to frowns. "Where are those lasses?" One patron says. "I ain't seen Red Kirsten in a day, Molli and Brennan either."

"Last time I saw Molli and Brennan they were talking to a few of them Hounds of Camber"
May 2, 2016 4:35 pm
"Yeah, with had a bit of a run-in with those. Very unhelpful and unpleasant chaps..."
May 2, 2016 5:17 pm
"Looks like we're going back to that kennel." Herja grumbles. All this trouble to put those whores down!
May 2, 2016 5:35 pm
"Indeed, and looks we might have to ask a bit more forcefully next time..."
May 2, 2016 8:43 pm
"You were the one who wanted to play nice."
May 2, 2016 10:40 pm
"I wanted to avoid unnecessary violence. I wasn't aware we were actually supposed to rough up those guys..."
May 2, 2016 11:02 pm
"I was under the impression we were, but didn't want to be the new guy that stirs the pot. Let's go back and get rough with them I guess..."
May 4, 2016 12:13 pm
You make your way back to the Red Door Tenement, it's later at night now. There are no Hounds gang members on the 4th floor, but you can see lights on in some of the rooms and hear boisterous laughter. The stairway and balcony walkways are dark. What do you do?
May 4, 2016 2:43 pm
Esteber makes his way up the stairs and knocks on the door.
May 4, 2016 3:47 pm
As you go start up the stairs... please make a perception check

Rolls

Secret Roll

May 4, 2016 3:48 pm
Herja casts an enchantment on her broadsword.

Rolls

Enchant Weapon CTN 8 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Perception - (1d20)

(18) = 18

May 4, 2016 4:23 pm
Esteber makes his Perception roll.

I think Esteber was peeking a look at Herja's cleavage while he was above her on the stairs. :P
Last edited May 4, 2016 4:23 pm

Rolls

Esteber's Perception roll (CTN 8) - (1d20)

(20) = 20

May 4, 2016 5:24 pm
kalajel says:
I think Esteber was peeking a look at Herja's cleavage while he was above her on the stairs. :P
Reflected in the light of her enchant weapon... :)
May 5, 2016 11:41 am
OOC:
Here's mine. Add +4 if it was trap related or +2 if tracking related.

Rolls

Perception 10 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

May 5, 2016 4:54 pm
Alden spots two Camber gangers in the shadows of the 2nd floor stairwell. They were not hidden particularly well but it was clear that Esteber's mind was elsewhere and he would have walked into a knife had you not seen them first.

The gangers draw their sword and club and move to attack -

Thread locked