Chapter 2 - The Fortress

load previous
Mar 31, 2016 9:59 pm
Gasping in pain as the big Orc's axe once again slices into her flesh Ütés is convinced that she's in her final battle. But as Gasher's second strike comes around she spots an opportunity. Waiting for the last possible moment Ütés turns and ducks under the blade, pivots on her left foot away from Gasher and then pivots back bringing her blade right up between the beasts legs.

Scoring a solid hit, Ütés' confidence grows, maybe this isn't her final fight after all. Withdrawing her blade in the most painful way that she can come up with on the spur of the moment she pivots once again shifting her weight to her back leg and then lunges forward, sword straight out in front, as she tries to drive the blade into Gasher's heart.
OOC:
OK, Bardic Inspiration (thanks Naatkinson), and her Riposte Skill at play here...

Riposte: When a creature misses you with a melee attack, you can use you reaction and expend one superiority die to make a melee weapon attack against the creature. If you hit you add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.

Since I'm not 100% sure that 17s a hit, adding the Bardic Inspiration the attack roll.
Last edited March 31, 2016 10:50 pm

Rolls

Orc Nut Buster Attack / Damage - (1d20+6, 1d10+4)

1d20+6 : (11) + 6 = 17

1d10+4 : (8) + 4 = 12

Superiority Die Damage - (1d8)

(4) = 4

Bardic Inspiration to Attack Roll - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Regular Attack Action / Damage - (1d20+6, 1d10+4)

1d20+6 : (17) + 6 = 23

1d10+4 : (8) + 4 = 12

Mar 31, 2016 10:14 pm
OOC:
That was your reaction, right? So you should still have your action available, I think
Mar 31, 2016 10:45 pm
OOC:
You're right! I was so caught up in the reaction trying to stop him from fleeing I totally forget. I'll edit the above post. Thanks!
Apr 1, 2016 7:21 pm
OOC:
Already discussed this in the OOC chat, but Gasher did manage to escape, not taking an AOO because Utes already used her reaction during his attack. For her turn she chased him out of the room to land her attack that she already rolled. Gasher is still alive, but he is looking in really rough shape.
Ramas makes chase after Utes and Gasher, but as he leaves the room he find Utes driving a sword into the Orc as he flees. Unfortunately there isn't enough room for him to get past and attack Gasher.
OOC:
Ramas follows the two out of the room. Xadira still needs to move and then its enemy turn.
Apr 1, 2016 8:20 pm
Worried that the Orc may be calling for reinforcements, I chase after him. Once he's in view and in range, I attempt to blast him with cold to slow him down.

Rolls

Ray of Frost (using Inspiration) - (1d20+6, 1d20+6, 1d8)

1d20+6 : (6) + 6 = 12

1d20+6 : (19) + 6 = 25

1d8 : (8) = 8

Apr 1, 2016 8:37 pm
As Utes catches Gasher in the back she feels a chill in the air as a icy blue beam arcs around her head and collides with the huge Orc. He lets out a solid HUMPH and staggers into the wall as the chill hits him.
OOC:
Solid hit. He still stands. He is inches from death.
Enemy turn

He continues trying to run but finds his movements stiff and harder to control. He pushes on none the less.
OOC:
He continues to try to move, and then dash to get away. This triggers an AOO for Utes. If she misses he will move an accumulated 40 feet further down the stairs this turn.
Alanna slumbers on the ground, her breath is still ragged and her rest seems uneasy.
OOC:
(54 seconds left on the spell. I'm calling each teams round as a 6 second span, instead of each persons turn. This is all happening rather fast.
HERO TURN!
Apr 1, 2016 8:38 pm
Aelar quickly looks around for something that he can use to restrain Alanna, then ties her up with it.
OOC:
Edit: Ugh!
Last edited April 1, 2016 8:39 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Apr 1, 2016 8:40 pm
Aelar sees no rope. But, too obvious to miss, and something I have already mentioned, there are cells around this room. All are currently occupied with either your troupe mates, or other prisoners.
OOC:
You would need to open one somehow...
There are also the shackles that previously held her.
OOC:
You will need to make a strength check to get her up into them. (DC 15)
Apr 1, 2016 9:02 pm
OOC:
haha I'm an idiot
Aelar attempts to lift Alanna back into her shackles.

Rolls

Str check - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Apr 1, 2016 9:07 pm
As Ramas, Utes, and Xadira are making chase with the retreating Gasher, Aelar hefts the sleeping Alanna back up into her shackles. He manages to get them hooked back on and takes the small iron key that Gasher had used to unlock them. He is now alone in the room with people calling out to him from all sides for rescue. Some, his own troupe mates, call not for help but to mourn the once living Talia, who still remains on the table with that look of horror embedded on her face.
Apr 1, 2016 9:19 pm
After hauling Alanna up to be restrained Aelar rushes out of the room to check on his companions, "I'll be right back," he yells to the people in the cells.
Apr 1, 2016 9:23 pm
I lean against a wall, nearly collapsing in exhaustion. This has been too much excitement for one day, but I can't let the Orc escape! I keep pushing on, launching yet another bolt of fire in its direction.
Last edited April 1, 2016 9:23 pm

Rolls

Fire Bolt - (1d20+6, 1d10)

1d20+6 : (6) + 6 = 12

1d10 : (8) = 8

Apr 1, 2016 9:41 pm
Once more it appears that Ütés has a chance to end this orc once and for all. As Gnasher attempts to flee Ütés swings her sword back and brings it around over her head, straight down at the chilly orc's head only to miss as Gnasher continues to run,
OOC:
Sure that's a miss so I'll continue on with her normal turn.
Surprised at the distance the wounded orc is able to gain on her, Ütés reaches for her crossbow and quickly fires a bolt at Gnasher's back.
OOC:
BALLS!
Last edited April 1, 2016 9:45 pm

Rolls

ATTACK / Damage - (1d20+6, 1d10+4)

1d20+6 : (4) + 6 = 10

1d10+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

Crossbow Attack / Damage - (1d20+4, 1d8+2)

1d20+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

1d8+2 : (6) + 2 = 8

Apr 1, 2016 9:52 pm
As Xadira and Ütés are trying to strike at Gasher he flies down the stairs, two at a time, and travels 60 feet further down and out of the tower. A trail of blood droplets is all that is left.
OOC:
Another 60 feet and you have lost sight of the Orc as he traveled around the spiraling stairs. There is no open center to this, so dashing your whole next turn is the only way to gain sight of him, but then you couldn't act that round.
Hero Turn!
Apr 1, 2016 10:03 pm
Screaming out an elvish curse Ütés concedes defeat and walks dejectedly back to the room. "I should have finished the bastard!" she yells before realizing the toll the battle has taken. Leaning with her back against a wall she slowly starts to slide down into a sitting position with her legs extended in front of her. "Damned Orc!"
Last edited April 1, 2016 10:39 pm
Apr 1, 2016 10:34 pm
OOC:
For the record. He had 2 HP left. He was looking real rough.
As Ütés rests against the wall in the room, before the others return from the chase, she becomes aware of a robed figure crouching next to her when it extends a hand and puts it on her shoulder. You did the best you could, it was a most excellent attempt. I fear he was simply too heinous to be defeated so easily.

As she looks up she sees a rather old looking human male. Maybe in his 60s or so. His face is thin and gaunt. A tangled mass of curly blonde hair sits atop his head and his face is half concealed by an unruly blonde beard. He grins at you, and you see more than a few missing teeth.

He holds out his hand and offers it to you, Sorry, introductions, I'm Bill S. Preston, Esquire. You get the suspicion that this was the strange old man the prisoner downstairs had told you about.
Apr 1, 2016 11:00 pm
I stare out the window if the tower for any sign of the fleeing Orc. If that fails, I attempt to send my hawk after him.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Apr 1, 2016 11:03 pm
Though Xadira can't see him she sends her hawk out to find him.
OOC:
Do one more perception to see if your hawk can find him. (DC 15). On a success roll an attack with the bird. On a failure the Orc has escaped.
Apr 1, 2016 11:11 pm
My hawk takes to the air, circling around the tower in search of the Orc before diving towards it with it's talons for an attack.
Last edited April 1, 2016 11:13 pm

Rolls

Perception (with advantage) - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (16) + 4 = 20

1d20+4 : (15) + 4 = 19

Attack (1 damage if hits) - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Apr 1, 2016 11:13 pm
Your hawk spots the lumbering green shape. He has made his way down and out the hole in the front of the Keep. Lugging his ace he grabs the nearest horse from a goblin trying to escape the chaos and throws the small creature to the ground.

As your bird flies down to attack the Orc it misses it's dive and the Orc snags it out of the air. If you are viewing through the creatures eyes the last thing you see is the inside of the Orc's mouth as it bites down on the creatures head and rips it off. You see the far distant form of the Gasher escaping the keep on horse back.
load next

Thread locked