Chapter 1, Day 3: Skull Gorge Bridge

load previous
Nov 18, 2015 2:37 pm
The dragon's eyes narrow, "Prove it."

While you have been engaged in conversation, the hobgoblins from the camp on the other side of the bridge have rallied and armed themselves, and are now making their way across to support the dragon.

Any of the rest of you who haven't acted yet - Corban and Rurik I believe - may make any stealth checks you make at +10, because the Dragon and Hobgoblins are thoroughly distracted by Xara at the moment. Additionally, should anyone desire to draw first blood, any attacks made right now are at Advantage regardless of the initiative mechanic I was trying to test-pilot!

You are all free to take another round's worth of actions. Corban and Rurik have 2 rounds worth of actions (2 Actions, 2 Moves, 2 Bonus Actions)
Nov 18, 2015 3:07 pm
"Skies above, Xara's dragon food..." Corban will clench his shield tightly and move up quietly with Kaiakas.

Edit: didn't notice the +10 above, so 17 is a bit better...
Last edited November 18, 2015 4:07 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1D20+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Nov 18, 2015 3:35 pm
A sharp gasp escapes my lips as my patron once again releases me from his (its?) summons to see Xara conversing with a dragon while a fair number of hobgoblins are creeping toward the edge of the bridge. I begin creeping myself, hoping Xara can keep them distracted long enough to allow me a chance to turn a potential enemy into an ally.

Rolls

Stealth! (With a + 10 bonus) - (1d20+12)

(8) + 12 = 20

Nov 18, 2015 4:00 pm
If Pawetha felt her knees buckle at the initial sight of Warklegnaw, it is a good thing she is sitting this time as the thought of having to approach Ozzyrandon sinks in. And its teeth, also sinking in...

Pawetha remains frozen where she is, uncertain of what to do. She hopes her allies are coming up with a way to break that damn bridge.
Nov 18, 2015 4:04 pm
I give this dragon a smile and an inscrutable look. Hmmm, now what? I wrack my brain for what I know about dragons, and what I could possibly do to "prove myself" to this one.

Rolls

History? - (1d20+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Nov 18, 2015 4:15 pm
Rurik creeps along the open space between the forest edge and the bridge, and does not draw any attention to himself in the process. Likewise for Corban. Every hobgoblin, hell hound, arrow, and even the dragon are fixed on Xara. Poised in anticipation of her next move.

Xara wracks her brain, but her knowledge of dragons is sparse and mostly learned while drunk and listening to a bard or another tell tales at a back alley pub. She does, however, get the feeling that the dragon is asking her to prove that, indeed, she can command the other 'sneak' (by which he must mean Paws) and is asking her to bring Pawetha out, and offer he up in submission to the Dragon.
Nov 18, 2015 4:24 pm
I snap my fingers and call out towards my friend. "Paws, come. Bow before this fearsome dragon before you!" I have no idea if this will even work, but hey it's worth a shot! And the way I see it, she kinda owes me since she got us in this position in the first place...

I turn my back briefly to the dragon and look in the direction I last saw Paws. If she happens to step forward, I will raise my eyebrows at her as if to say 'I have no idea what the hell I'm doing but I'm not dead yet so roll with it?'
Nov 18, 2015 4:29 pm
Pawetha understands fully what is going on, but she still has to convince herself to cooperate. She knows that this is probably their best chance to survive, but damn!

Eventually, her willpower is enough to at least get her moving. She rises gingerly from her stance and shuffles slowly forward. Her bow is lowered as she tries to shrink into her cloak.
Nov 18, 2015 4:41 pm
The dragon bears its teeth in a rather violent grin, and fixes its gaze on Pawetha as she slinks out from her hiding place and steps in front of Xara "She's a mousy one." The dragon's gaze remains fixed on her as it speaks, "Bind her."

Two of the hobgoblins behind him rush forward, sheathing their longswords. As they do, one of the archers drops a bundle of rope from the tower. One of the two hobgoblins picks it up and they start towards Pawetha.

The archers train their arrows on Paws, in anticipation of some kind of trickery, while the hobgoblins behind the dragon stand prepared to charge forward at a moment's notice. The hell hounds remain fixed in place, still growling. The dragon stares intently, clearly amused by the events.

Advantage on any attacks is still available. Zaris, Corban, Kaiakas and Rurik technically have action + move that they may use as this is 'round 2'. If you want to do nothing, make a post describing the commitment to holding your position.
Nov 18, 2015 7:50 pm
I reach for the rope when the hobgoblins carry it towards us, yanking it out of their grasp if necessary. "Thank you, that'll do just nicely." I then sit on the ground and begin to wrap the rope around my legs.
Nov 18, 2015 7:59 pm
I try to find my companions, hoping to gain insight as to our plan and not wanting to spoil the effect Xara is weaving. At the same time an itching behind my eyes grows more intense as my master's desire for fresh souls makes itself more increasingly known
Nov 18, 2015 8:13 pm
Paralyzed by fear, Zaris is unable to move as he watches the plan unfolding. He clutches the wand tighter in his hand. "I'm not cut out for this sort of work," he mumbles to himself.
Nov 18, 2015 11:26 pm
The giant, seeing Zaris' white knuckled grip, places a comforting - if massive - hand gently on the mage's shoulder, "No need for fear, friend. You've many allies, and are yourself strong of spirit and will. Fear is the essence of life." Zaris gets the sense that, if ol Warklegnaw had his choice of end, he would choose the bloodlust of battle over a slow wintery death any day.

I'm going to wait for Pawetha's response to this before advancing the situation another 'round' -- Corban or Kaiakas may also have some reaction?
Nov 18, 2015 11:34 pm
Pawetha stops, briefly, when she sees Xara begin to tie her own legs. She looks ahead at the bridge, assessing the placement of each individual and their close proximity to each other. Maybe if they can be drawn in closer together...

OOC: Does the map reflect everyone's current positions?
Nov 19, 2015 12:30 am
Despite my instinct to fire and charge, I'm trying to trust in Xara's plan, whatever that might be. I stay my hand for now, focusing on one of the hobgoblins near the exposed pair. Torm, guide us. I silently plea.
Nov 20, 2015 1:14 am
Looking up at the giant Zaris smiles weakly. "You are right my new friend. But our last encounter nearly killed me. And there wasn't a dragon there." The giant's words do make Zaris feel more confident. He stands up from his crouching position but remains hidden.
Nov 20, 2015 8:02 am
The dragon starts to laugh, or you think he's laughing - it's difficult to tell with a dragon, "The mousy one as well, then."

One of the two hobgoblins takes the end of the rope that Xara isn't working with, and steps up to Pawetha, "Your hands." It says it stilted common. The other 'helps' Xara. Whether or not she was trying to genuinely bind her legs, they are firmly bound now. Her ankles pulled together by the hobgoblin's tightening of the rope - and then secured by a messy, but effective, knot. The archers in the towers have split their aim between Xara and Pawetha, those on the bridge have armed themselves with light crossbows and have likewise taken aim.

The dragon watches curiously, "Is this your idea of power, young rogue? Submission and acceptance?"

While this is happening, Rurik stumbles on the tree that Corban and Kaiakas are hiding behind and joins them.

Next round begins! Map is up to date. And I'll put map link with every 'round summary' post from now on for convenience
Nov 20, 2015 8:04 am
"Hurr! Everyday tries to do me in." Warklegnaw seems pleased that Zaris has found some courage. He squints at the bridge and says, "Wot's the plan?"
Nov 20, 2015 8:38 am
A feeling of dread shivers over my skin. Now this is getting to just be ridiculously worse. I look to Rurik and whisper, pleading, "Is there any of your dark magic that can help us? Taking the bridge out may distract the dragon and those hobgoblins enough to allow us to free Paws and Xara."
Last edited November 20, 2015 8:38 am
Nov 20, 2015 12:29 pm
"My dear friend, I have much better ways of showing power if that's what you're looking for!" I grab the nearest hobgoblin, wrap the rope around his neck to pull him to my body to use as a hobgoblin shield and hold a dagger to his throat. "How about that? I can kill him with my legs bound and with an army of archers trained at my head. And yet I don't fear death. How's that for power?" It's been a while since I've had such a captive audience. I like this.

OOC: No clue what to roll here. Trying to convince him I'm worth more to him alive. And perhaps trying to amuse him as well.
Last edited November 20, 2015 4:31 pm

Rolls

Sleight of Hand - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Strength test to hold on to the guy? - (1d20-1)

(18) - 1 = 17

Persuasion (using inspiration!) - (1d20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.