Chapter 1, Day 3: Skull Gorge Bridge

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 16, 2015 10:56 am
Jorr leads the group down the dawn way towards the bridge. Warklegnaw lumbers along at the back of the group, aware that he is unlikely to proceed quietly and so keen to avoid drawing attention to the party. The ground has been rising for the last few miles, and finally the forest itself peters out. Warklegnaw remains at the edge of the forest, while you, following Jorr, press on another fifty meters to get a better vantage point. Ahead is a stretch of barren ground, about sixty feet wide, ending in a gorge. The moon reaches its peak in the sky and begins its descent as you near your destination. It's pale white light both illuminates and casts deep shadows, making the image of the gorge stretched out below both faintly visible, and deeply ominous.

Roughly a hundred feet wide at its narrowest point, the gorge drops away precipitously to a fast-rushing stream far below. The ancient Dawn Way crosses the cleft on a bridge of stone. Anchored at both ends to large stone towers with pentagonal roofs, the bridge seems sturdy despite its obvious age. It is, clearly, the only easy way to cross, since the gorge continues as far as the eye can see to the east and west.

Those without darkvision can only make out the tiny pricks of light from campfires glowing in what must be an encampment on the far side of the gorge, and the glow of torchlight from the tops of three of the four towers. It is likely archers are stationed there. Atop the fourth tower, the one in the northwest, is a large black silhouette.

Those with darkvision can make out a few more details, although from this distance it is difficult to discern much. Several figures are moving about on the bridge, and you can tell that there are hell hounds in the mix - those without night eyes might mistake their glowing eyes for torches. The creature atop the northwest tower is, clearly to you, a dragon. The shimmer of the moonlight on its scales suggests that it is either green or black, although without getting closer you cannot be sure.

http://www.greyhawk.org.uk/galaths2/img/051skullgorge.jpg
Nov 16, 2015 2:04 pm
"Hellhounds and a dragon," says Pawetha, deadpan. She remains lying on her stomach in the dirt, presenting as low a silhouette as possible. She sighs, "Welp, I'm out of ideas. Don't suppose anyone has got some secret magical doohickey-thing to wreck that bridge from here?"
Nov 16, 2015 5:25 pm
I smile despite myself. Oh who am I kidding, I smile because I love a challenge, especially when they're just a bit suicidal! "Not afraid of taking apart the bridge brick by brick, are you?"
Nov 16, 2015 5:48 pm
"I am, actually," mutters Pawetha, quietly to Xara. "Dragons are something in and of themselves, but hellhounds are just unnatural."
Nov 16, 2015 5:52 pm
I snort derisively "Why do something the most difficult way possible when we have....other options?" I turn to the more magically inclined in our group "Do you imagine we could combine our energies somehow to remove the bridge from use?"
Last edited November 16, 2015 7:52 pm
Nov 16, 2015 8:16 pm
"Taking out a bridge doesn't quite take out a dragon though, does it?" I lament. "Still, I say we can handle a bridge. I can take care of some of those hellhounds. Keep 'me busy while you do your thing."
Nov 16, 2015 8:19 pm
Pawetha jabs a finger at the towers. "And archers, probably more hobgoblins," she says. The ranger looks at the group, then to Xara and Jorr. "Maybe we scout and see just what we're dealing with, besides the obvious. It will also give the mages time to prepare something special." She tests the wind, wary of the hellhounds picking up their scents.
Last edited November 16, 2015 8:19 pm
Nov 16, 2015 9:10 pm
The wind is favourable to the groups approach. Paws also notices that, while there isn't much cover between here and the bridge, it would be possible for a slow approach through the thicker parts of the grass and between the sparse foliage and trees. A bit of luck, and a bit of skill, could see a scout or two get within twenty feet of the bridge without being detected. It really would depend on how attentive that dragon was.
Nov 17, 2015 12:47 am
"I'm on it!" Without a second glance, I head in the direction of the bridge and try to get as much information about it as I can. Hell, I'll even check for traps and/or shiny things. I've got time to kill and I'm bored.
Last edited November 17, 2015 12:48 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Stealth - (1d20+7)

(4) + 7 = 11

Nov 17, 2015 12:53 am
Pawetha exhales slowly, and calls up her training. She slowly scuttles off, half-crawling, half-stalking. The ranger is attentive to the terrain and her silhouette, and tries to use cover as much as possible.

Rolls

Perception, Stealth - (1d20+4, 1d20+5)

1d20+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

1d20+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

Nov 17, 2015 11:01 am
As Xana and Pawetha creep along towards the bridge, the dragon suddenly raises its head. It peers out towards the forest, then scans along the intervening space that the two scouts are traversing. It is at that moment that Pawetha makes a daring sprint from a bit of tall grass towards a small tree and the dragon sees her. It spreads its wings and lets out a bellowing roar. Suddenly, those on the bridge spring to life. The archers in the towers grab their bows and the hell hounds converge on the front edge of the bridge as they prepare to defend themselves, and the bridge.

Combat Map

Everyone except Paws and Xana are 1 move action away from the first row of squares on the map. Warklegnaw is 2 move actions away, as he remained at the forest edge. Also, I want to try something new:

Players act first (in any order), you have Advantage on attacks against any creatures lower on the initiative order for the first round of combat only (this applies to monsters as well)

Initiative:
Zaris
Xara
Hobgoblin Captain
Corban
Rurik
Hobgoblins
Pawetha
Hell Hounds
Green Dragon
Kaiakas
Nov 17, 2015 9:53 pm
Just as Zaris is about to say something about the importance of careful analyzation of a problem the roar of the dragon nearly knocks him off his feet. "Curse this!" he yells, not worried about being too loud given the circumstances. He quickly scuttles back into the forrest and tries to find enough cover to hide himself until he can figure out what he can do without getting himself killed.

OOC: You have GOT to be kidding me?!
Last edited November 17, 2015 9:54 pm

Rolls

Stealth check - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Nov 17, 2015 10:23 pm
I immediately step out of the shadows and wave towards the group on the bridge. "Greetings, friends! I mean you no harm! I hear you are looking for recruits! May I introduce myself? I am the great Xara, Queen of Thieves, the Silent Stalker!" I give a great bow and start walking towards the group with a smile on my face.
Last edited November 17, 2015 10:23 pm

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Nov 17, 2015 11:18 pm
Pawetha tries to find cover from the archers in the tower and completes her journey to the small tree. She un-shoulders her bow and nocks an arrow, then trains it towards Xara. She readies herself for an attack if the rogue's deception doesn't work.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Nov 18, 2015 8:45 am
The archers in the frontmost towers aim at the approaching rogue, the hell hound she is walking towards tenses up and growls. The dragon swoops down, landing in the middle of the bridge and snorts, a thin swirl of green mist unfurls from its nostrils and hangs in the air. "Do you know who we are? Why should you belong with us?"

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+7)

Nov 18, 2015 8:54 am
"By the gods, what is she doing?" Noting Xara's attempt to deceive a dragon, of all things. I want to help support my comrade. I gather my courage and join Paws as quietly as I can, readying my crossbow when into position.
Last edited November 18, 2015 10:24 am

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Nov 18, 2015 12:46 pm
"The question is, why wouldn't you want me to serve you? I know exactly who you are, and your plans. Tiamat's role. I want in. I can offer you so much more than your average bugbear."

OOC: Plan is to have everyone on the bridge so focused on me that they forget about my group and hopefully do not attack them because they can't stealth for shit. I'm doing this all to avoid a battle. My goal is also to get a read on this dragon to see what he/she wants me to say. Hell, I'd probably even join them if he accepts me. It couldn't hurt to get a little intel from the inside.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

Nov 18, 2015 12:50 pm
"This is madness!" Zaris whispers to himself while pulling out his wand but staying well hidden.
Nov 18, 2015 12:52 pm
The dragon grins, showing off its razor teeth, "Prove your worth then. Bring me the one that was stalking towards the bridge with you. And the other, with the crossbow, that has failed to skulk his way to the bridge without being seen. They are certainly not here for support me, nor my allies, and so you shouldn't be troubled to disarm them, bind them and offer them up as a sacrifice. I am, after all, quite hungry."

Xara gets the feeling that the Dragon fancies itself much cleverer than her, but that it's also not certain of her true motives.
Nov 18, 2015 2:33 pm
"No, it's true that they weren't here to support you. They fear power, unlike me. I am drawn to it. And since they fear me, they serve me whether they like it or not. So they will serve you too."

OOC: Using the force to tell him 'No, really, you don't want to eat my friends'
Last edited November 18, 2015 2:36 pm

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

Nov 18, 2015 2:37 pm
The dragon's eyes narrow, "Prove it."

While you have been engaged in conversation, the hobgoblins from the camp on the other side of the bridge have rallied and armed themselves, and are now making their way across to support the dragon.

Any of the rest of you who haven't acted yet - Corban and Rurik I believe - may make any stealth checks you make at +10, because the Dragon and Hobgoblins are thoroughly distracted by Xara at the moment. Additionally, should anyone desire to draw first blood, any attacks made right now are at Advantage regardless of the initiative mechanic I was trying to test-pilot!

You are all free to take another round's worth of actions. Corban and Rurik have 2 rounds worth of actions (2 Actions, 2 Moves, 2 Bonus Actions)
Nov 18, 2015 3:07 pm
"Skies above, Xara's dragon food..." Corban will clench his shield tightly and move up quietly with Kaiakas.

Edit: didn't notice the +10 above, so 17 is a bit better...
Last edited November 18, 2015 4:07 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1D20+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Nov 18, 2015 3:35 pm
A sharp gasp escapes my lips as my patron once again releases me from his (its?) summons to see Xara conversing with a dragon while a fair number of hobgoblins are creeping toward the edge of the bridge. I begin creeping myself, hoping Xara can keep them distracted long enough to allow me a chance to turn a potential enemy into an ally.

Rolls

Stealth! (With a + 10 bonus) - (1d20+12)

(8) + 12 = 20

Nov 18, 2015 4:00 pm
If Pawetha felt her knees buckle at the initial sight of Warklegnaw, it is a good thing she is sitting this time as the thought of having to approach Ozzyrandon sinks in. And its teeth, also sinking in...

Pawetha remains frozen where she is, uncertain of what to do. She hopes her allies are coming up with a way to break that damn bridge.
Nov 18, 2015 4:04 pm
I give this dragon a smile and an inscrutable look. Hmmm, now what? I wrack my brain for what I know about dragons, and what I could possibly do to "prove myself" to this one.

Rolls

History? - (1d20+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Nov 18, 2015 4:15 pm
Rurik creeps along the open space between the forest edge and the bridge, and does not draw any attention to himself in the process. Likewise for Corban. Every hobgoblin, hell hound, arrow, and even the dragon are fixed on Xara. Poised in anticipation of her next move.

Xara wracks her brain, but her knowledge of dragons is sparse and mostly learned while drunk and listening to a bard or another tell tales at a back alley pub. She does, however, get the feeling that the dragon is asking her to prove that, indeed, she can command the other 'sneak' (by which he must mean Paws) and is asking her to bring Pawetha out, and offer he up in submission to the Dragon.
Nov 18, 2015 4:24 pm
I snap my fingers and call out towards my friend. "Paws, come. Bow before this fearsome dragon before you!" I have no idea if this will even work, but hey it's worth a shot! And the way I see it, she kinda owes me since she got us in this position in the first place...

I turn my back briefly to the dragon and look in the direction I last saw Paws. If she happens to step forward, I will raise my eyebrows at her as if to say 'I have no idea what the hell I'm doing but I'm not dead yet so roll with it?'
Nov 18, 2015 4:29 pm
Pawetha understands fully what is going on, but she still has to convince herself to cooperate. She knows that this is probably their best chance to survive, but damn!

Eventually, her willpower is enough to at least get her moving. She rises gingerly from her stance and shuffles slowly forward. Her bow is lowered as she tries to shrink into her cloak.
Nov 18, 2015 4:41 pm
The dragon bears its teeth in a rather violent grin, and fixes its gaze on Pawetha as she slinks out from her hiding place and steps in front of Xara "She's a mousy one." The dragon's gaze remains fixed on her as it speaks, "Bind her."

Two of the hobgoblins behind him rush forward, sheathing their longswords. As they do, one of the archers drops a bundle of rope from the tower. One of the two hobgoblins picks it up and they start towards Pawetha.

The archers train their arrows on Paws, in anticipation of some kind of trickery, while the hobgoblins behind the dragon stand prepared to charge forward at a moment's notice. The hell hounds remain fixed in place, still growling. The dragon stares intently, clearly amused by the events.

Advantage on any attacks is still available. Zaris, Corban, Kaiakas and Rurik technically have action + move that they may use as this is 'round 2'. If you want to do nothing, make a post describing the commitment to holding your position.
Nov 18, 2015 7:50 pm
I reach for the rope when the hobgoblins carry it towards us, yanking it out of their grasp if necessary. "Thank you, that'll do just nicely." I then sit on the ground and begin to wrap the rope around my legs.
Nov 18, 2015 7:59 pm
I try to find my companions, hoping to gain insight as to our plan and not wanting to spoil the effect Xara is weaving. At the same time an itching behind my eyes grows more intense as my master's desire for fresh souls makes itself more increasingly known
Nov 18, 2015 8:13 pm
Paralyzed by fear, Zaris is unable to move as he watches the plan unfolding. He clutches the wand tighter in his hand. "I'm not cut out for this sort of work," he mumbles to himself.
Nov 18, 2015 11:26 pm
The giant, seeing Zaris' white knuckled grip, places a comforting - if massive - hand gently on the mage's shoulder, "No need for fear, friend. You've many allies, and are yourself strong of spirit and will. Fear is the essence of life." Zaris gets the sense that, if ol Warklegnaw had his choice of end, he would choose the bloodlust of battle over a slow wintery death any day.

I'm going to wait for Pawetha's response to this before advancing the situation another 'round' -- Corban or Kaiakas may also have some reaction?
Nov 18, 2015 11:34 pm
Pawetha stops, briefly, when she sees Xara begin to tie her own legs. She looks ahead at the bridge, assessing the placement of each individual and their close proximity to each other. Maybe if they can be drawn in closer together...

OOC: Does the map reflect everyone's current positions?
Nov 19, 2015 12:30 am
Despite my instinct to fire and charge, I'm trying to trust in Xara's plan, whatever that might be. I stay my hand for now, focusing on one of the hobgoblins near the exposed pair. Torm, guide us. I silently plea.
Nov 20, 2015 1:14 am
Looking up at the giant Zaris smiles weakly. "You are right my new friend. But our last encounter nearly killed me. And there wasn't a dragon there." The giant's words do make Zaris feel more confident. He stands up from his crouching position but remains hidden.
Nov 20, 2015 8:02 am
The dragon starts to laugh, or you think he's laughing - it's difficult to tell with a dragon, "The mousy one as well, then."

One of the two hobgoblins takes the end of the rope that Xara isn't working with, and steps up to Pawetha, "Your hands." It says it stilted common. The other 'helps' Xara. Whether or not she was trying to genuinely bind her legs, they are firmly bound now. Her ankles pulled together by the hobgoblin's tightening of the rope - and then secured by a messy, but effective, knot. The archers in the towers have split their aim between Xara and Pawetha, those on the bridge have armed themselves with light crossbows and have likewise taken aim.

The dragon watches curiously, "Is this your idea of power, young rogue? Submission and acceptance?"

While this is happening, Rurik stumbles on the tree that Corban and Kaiakas are hiding behind and joins them.

Next round begins! Map is up to date. And I'll put map link with every 'round summary' post from now on for convenience
Nov 20, 2015 8:04 am
"Hurr! Everyday tries to do me in." Warklegnaw seems pleased that Zaris has found some courage. He squints at the bridge and says, "Wot's the plan?"
Nov 20, 2015 8:38 am
A feeling of dread shivers over my skin. Now this is getting to just be ridiculously worse. I look to Rurik and whisper, pleading, "Is there any of your dark magic that can help us? Taking the bridge out may distract the dragon and those hobgoblins enough to allow us to free Paws and Xara."
Last edited November 20, 2015 8:38 am
Nov 20, 2015 12:29 pm
"My dear friend, I have much better ways of showing power if that's what you're looking for!" I grab the nearest hobgoblin, wrap the rope around his neck to pull him to my body to use as a hobgoblin shield and hold a dagger to his throat. "How about that? I can kill him with my legs bound and with an army of archers trained at my head. And yet I don't fear death. How's that for power?" It's been a while since I've had such a captive audience. I like this.

OOC: No clue what to roll here. Trying to convince him I'm worth more to him alive. And perhaps trying to amuse him as well.
Last edited November 20, 2015 4:31 pm

Rolls

Sleight of Hand - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Strength test to hold on to the guy? - (1d20-1)

(18) - 1 = 17

Persuasion (using inspiration!) - (1d20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

Nov 20, 2015 2:32 pm
I suck my teeth for a long moment surveying the scene before us. "Aye...well I might be able to charm the dragon...or I can turn some of the hobbies to our side...I think that one will be more successful, but less...immediately helpful."
Nov 20, 2015 3:48 pm
Now that the hobgoblin has effectively shielded Pawetha from most of the archers, the ranger uses her lack of height to her advantage. She draws her dagger and slides the blade upward under the hobgoblin's armor between its legs.

"You didn't say please," growls Pawetha, holding the knife point at a very sensitive area. She takes her cues from Xara to attempt a capture of another hostage, a demonstration of the pair's skills.

Rolls

To place dagger at sweet spot, Advantage - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

1d20+5 : (14) + 5 = 19

Nov 21, 2015 8:50 am
Xara and Pawetha, almost simultaneously, take the hobgoblin nearest them hostage. The other hobgoblins raise their bows and crossbows - but their respect, or perhaps fear, for the dragon keeps them from shooting. The dragon still seems quite amused.

"That is quite enough. If you are so keen to join The Red Hand hoard, who am I to deny you. Release your hostages and come bow to me. Then, I will have you delivered to the hoard, and they will make their decisions about your worth."

Next round.
Nov 21, 2015 11:41 pm
So, this dragon does not lead the Red Hand. The word "hoard" sticks out to me, causing me to imagine a great collection of hobgoblins and such, perhaps more dragons. The seriousness of the situation weighs heavily on me as I wait for the right opportunity to act.
[OOC: delaying action.]
Nov 22, 2015 12:47 am
I smile. So many options. I like having options. But is this dragon something to be trusted, or does he just want to kill me the second I release this hobgoblin? What other games could he be playing with me? Whatever it is, I will win!

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Nov 22, 2015 12:55 am
Xara can't get a read on the dragon.
Nov 22, 2015 1:19 am
Pawetha snorts, and gives a slight nudge with her dagger to guide her hobgoblin "escort" forward (backward in his case) to the dragon. "I've taken a liking to this one," she says as she approaches. "You wouldn't deny a tiny thing like me with a toy?"

CancerMan sent a note to Candi
Nov 22, 2015 1:36 pm
The hobgoblin grunts, takes on step back away from Pawetha and starts to draw its blade, "I've had enough of this game."

The dragon continues to be amused.

Candi sent a note to CancerMan
Nov 23, 2015 3:57 am
"Back off, buddy or we'll both take turns skewering you with your own blade."

Rolls

Intimidation - (1d20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

Nov 23, 2015 8:46 am
The hobgoblin hisses and finishes pulling out its blade, "Enough games. Bow to Ozzyrandon, or be slain."

His companion's sudden surge of confidence inspires the hobgoblin Xara is holding hostage, and he struggles, elbowing her in the side and trying it pull free, but Xara, just barely, manages to hold on to him and presses her dagger back against his throat.

Rolls

Athletics Check - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Xara's Acrobatics - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Nov 23, 2015 3:50 pm
OOC: Going to let the others post their actions before I take mine.
Nov 23, 2015 5:45 pm
Here goes nothing...

"Let's get into that tower, we might at least get some cover in there. Or, we'll be cooked alive like some kind of blast furnace. Either way it seems like things are about to go sideways for Paws and Xara."

Corban will try to sneak straight East to the stairwell to the southern tower.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(17) + 1 = 18

Nov 23, 2015 7:36 pm
Driven partially by the actions of my companions and partially by my mentors disdain for this lizards' arrogance, I step between Xara and Paws firing a Bolton energy into the air to get attention. "Enough! No one will bow to a pitiful worm when TRUE POWER is before you. I grow tired of your constant attempts to puff yourself up. Now you will BOW. TO. ME!" I roar as I point to the two hobgoblins behind the Dragon. The word BOW echoes unnaturally around the bridge until it fades to everyone's hearing except for the targets of the COMMAND spell where it presses against their skulls with incredible pressure driving them to their knees.
OOC: Casting command to make those hobgoblins GROVEL if they fall a Wisdom save of DC:12 and would like to spend a point of inspiration to give them disadvantage on the save
Nov 23, 2015 10:51 pm
As Rurik's Command echoes forth and her hobgoblin captor is now away from her dagger, Pawetha seizes the opportunity to Dash forward to Ozzyrandon. Like a wily fox, she scampers close and leaps for the dragon's scales, attempting to climb onto its back.

Rolls

Acrobatics to climb dragon - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Nov 23, 2015 11:27 pm
With the sudden turn of events, I take aim on one of the two hobgoblins nearest Xara and Paws.
[OOC: whichever seems to have resisted Rurik's spell.]
Slinging my crossbow back to its usual place, I draw my new blade and charge into the fray just behind Rurik.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Damage - (1d8)

(2) = 2

Nov 24, 2015 8:43 am
Corban sneaks along the open space to the bottom of the tower, moving uncharacteristically quietly and, covered by the chaos that follows at the same moment. He as he crests the top of the tower, he sees the hobgoblin panic and scramble to grab an arrow, looking over the ledge he sees the madness unfolding.

Rurik issues a power COMMAND, and the two hobgoblins behind the dragon immediately fall to their knees, and place their forehands on the ground.

Pawetha runs past the hobgoblin in front of her, who stabs at her as she runs past and nicks her with the blade (4 Damage to Pawetha), and vaults towards the dragon. She grabs onto its scales, but doesn't find a grip and slides off. She is now standing beside the beast as it starts to unfurl its wings and react to the sudden attack.

Kaiakas fires a bolt at the hobgoblin Pawetha ran past, but it flies past his target and zooms off into the distance. Without hesitating, he arms himself and rushes forward to join the unfolding battle...

Zaris - you are 120 feet from the front edge of the map, Xara and Jorr and are up

Map

Rolls

Wisdom Save 1 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Wisdom Save 2 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Hobgoblin Opportunity Attack - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Hobgoblin Damage - (1d8+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Pawetha (Advantage) - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Kaikas (Advantage) - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Nov 24, 2015 8:45 am
"Charge!" Warklegnaw bellows before surging forward, his massive club held high in the air overhead.
Nov 25, 2015 11:47 pm
"I need to help Corban," Zaris exclaims as the giant rushes from their spot in the woods. The wizard turns towards the south and makes his way at a sprint to the tower where his friend is, hoping that he hasn't walked into a trap.

OOC: Using the dash action to make my way to Corban as quickly as possible.
Nov 29, 2015 8:56 am
Zaris reaches the stairs, but Corban has already begun to ascend. Jorr steps forward, levels his bow and fires an arrow. It strikes the hobgoblin engaged with Xara in the chest, but the creature remains standing.

Then, the defenders of the bridge take action.

The hobgoblins in the towers split their shots between Pawetha, who is partially obscured by the bulk of the dragon, and Xara. The two shots at Pawetha strike the bridge at her feet, but Xara wasn't so lucky. One arrow grazes her arm, and the other sticks into her shoulder (Xara takes 9 Damage (4 + 5)). The hobgoblins in melee with Xara and Kaiakas draw their blades and strike, one at each attacker. Kaiakas deflects one while Xara manages to duck under the other, grunting from the pain. The other two hobgoblins remain on their knees, foreheads pressed to the stone bridge.

The hell hounds stride forward, one engaging Kaiakas and the other weaving around the melee to attack Rurik. They lunge and bite. Kaiakas tries to move but is too slow, and the hell hound sinks its teeth into his leg (Kaiakas takes 9 Damage), his armour absorbs most of the force, but the hell hound latches on and won't let go. Rurik saw the creature coming and glares at it while it charges. The creature hesitates, just enough for Rurik to sidestep its lunging bite.

The Dragon bites at Pawetha, which forces her to step back, before it unfurls its wings and takes to the air (Pawetha gets an opportunity attack on the Dragon). It swoops around behind one of the towers. As it leaps into the air, the space between the hobgoblin captain and the rest of the group is cleared, and he levels his crossbow and fires on Pawetha. The bolt flies wide. He drops the weapon, and draws a greatsword before letting out a rousing bellow and charges forward, engaging Pawetha in melee.

Map updated
Player turn
Nov 29, 2015 5:06 pm
Pawetha's gambit failed as her original target takes to the sky. Since it's still in her hand, she hurls her dagger at the dragon in annoyance. Then as the hobgoblin captain closes in, Pawetha draws her short sword and steadies herself for melee.

The ranger dances in to avoid the gigantic sword and thrusts her own blade up to the hobgoblin's torso.

Rolls

Reaction dagger attack vs Dragon, Damage - (1d20+7, 1d4+3)

1d20+7 : (7) + 7 = 14

1d4+3 : (3) + 3 = 6

Shortsword vs Hobgoblin Captain, Damage - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (20) + 5 = 25

1d6+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

Critical Damage, if applicable - (1d6+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Nov 30, 2015 3:10 am
"Corban! Wait!" Zaris yells as he scrambles up the stairs, wand in hand. Sprinting, he does his best to close the distance between the two of them.
Nov 30, 2015 8:27 am
Pawetha's dagger deflects harmless off of the dragon's scales... the hobgoblin tries to evade the attack, but his forward momentum works against him and he barrels into the blade. The sword slices up the straps of his armour at his side, leaving a thin trail of blood and unsettling his chest plate.

Zaris reaches the top of the stairs behind Corban, his shouting alerting the hobgoblin archer at the top of the tower who spins around and see's the two of them at the top of the stairs.
Nov 30, 2015 12:20 pm
I test out my spiked gauntlets, immediately slamming into the hobgoblin that attacked me. Then, with my other hand I stab at him with my dagger.

Rolls

Spiked Gauntlet Damage - (1d10)

(4) = 4

Attack - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Damage? - (1d8+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Nov 30, 2015 1:47 pm
Xara slams the hobgoblin in the face with her spiked gauntlet, and the creature falls to the ground - dead. She turns to the one beside her and stabs at him with her dagger, but it deflects off of his chain shirt.

Jorr lets fly another arrow which strikes the hell hound harassing Kaiakas in the shoulder.

That's a kill with the gauntlet reaction, and a miss with the attack. Still up: Warklegnaw, Corban, Rurik, Kaiakas, Zaris has an action (move was used getting to the top of the tower)
Nov 30, 2015 9:24 pm
"Corban! Wait for me!" Zaris yells as he reaches the top of the stairs. His expression turns to one of panic as he sees the hobgoblin turning towards them, bow in hand. The wizard points his wand at the creature and conjures the thought process necessary to unleash the darts of energy.

Rolls

magic missile #1 - (1d4+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

magic missile #2 - (1d4+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

magic missile #3 - (1d4+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Dec 1, 2015 8:10 am
The three bolts unerringly strike the hobgoblin archer, who stumbles backwards before toppling off the top of the tower into the chasm below.
Dec 3, 2015 2:45 pm
Corban will jump as the missiles fly past him into the hobgoblin. After advancing to the side of the tower he'll pop a shot at the hobgoblin in the opposite tower with his crossbow.

Rolls

Attack with crossbow - (1D20+1)

(10) + 1 = 11

Dec 4, 2015 9:01 am
The bolt strikes the tower, missing its target. Warknlegnaw lumbers up behind Xara and Kaiakas, and using his incredible reach, slams his club, which is the size of a small tree, into the hell hound harassing Xara.

Rurik and Kaiakas are up
Dec 4, 2015 12:36 pm
"Thanks, buddy!" I knew there was a reason I brought the big guy with us!
Dec 4, 2015 2:13 pm
I stand utterly contemptuous of the dragon and its underlings. I look at the hellhound trying to nip at me and point at it unleashing another blast of energy,heedless of what it might try to do to me in return.

Rolls

Attack roll - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Damage - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Disadvantage attack roll - (1d20+4)

(10) + 4 = 14

Dec 5, 2015 1:51 am
Satisfied with the crunch of my new gauntlets on the now-dead hobgoblin, I draw away from it quick-like and head towards the one harassing Kaiakas.

OOC: Using bonus action to disengage.
Dec 7, 2015 9:57 am
Rurik's blast flies over the hellhounds head. He finds it hard to aim with the beast pressuring him.

Xara steps back from the hobgoblin and moves over to support Kaiakas.
Dec 7, 2015 10:07 am
The hobgoblin Xara disengaged from runs towards the bridge, and stands in the relative safety between the two towers. The goblin captain swings his greatsword at Pawetha in two cleaving arcs. She ducks under the first one, but it struck by the flat of the blade as she tries to evade the second cleave (8 Damage to Pawetha). The burst of aggression, however, leaves the captain relatively unprepared to defend himself and open to attack (Attacks on Captain have Advantage).

The two hobgoblins Rurik had commanded regain control of themselves, get to their feet and collect their swords from the ground. The remaining archers focus their attention on Corban and Zaris. Two fire at Corban, both shots deflecting off of the stone in front of him. One fires at Zaris, but the arrow misses by a wide margin.

The dragon swoops around the southwestern tower and unleashes a blast of its breath. A thick, rolling green cloud of poisonous gas envelopes the group battling at the base of the bridge (Kaiakas, Xara and Rurik make a DC 11 Constitution save. On failure, take 22 Damage. On success, take 11 Damage). It swoops past, circling around behind the other tower. The hellhounds lunge for their targets, but at caught up in the blast of the dragon's breath. They both perish in the acidic blast, and sparing Rurik and Kaiakas from their fury.

Player turn. Kaiakas has 2 sets of actions.
Map Updated
Dec 7, 2015 3:18 pm
I stand defiant in the face of the acid breath, roaring a challenge in return. The roar turns into a shriek of agony that takes the form of flaming words that leap back toward the dragon in a Hellish Rebuke before my acid etched body falls to the stones of the bridge
Dex save DC: 12 for half damage.
Last edited December 7, 2015 3:22 pm

Rolls

Con Saving Throw - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Hellish Rebuke Damage - (3d10)

(562) = 13

The first (of many death saves) - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Dec 7, 2015 4:25 pm
Pawetha briefly muses at the irony of her dancing in melee with the taller hobgoblins, but understands that she brought this situation upon herself. The ranger needs to end this quickly and return to range, so she thrusts in with her shortsword, trying to find an opening in the captain's armor.

Rolls

Shortsword vs Captain, advantage - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (1) + 5 = 6

1d20+5 : (12) + 5 = 17

Damage - (1d6+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Dec 7, 2015 4:28 pm
The rebuke slams into the Dragon, and it falters briefly before regaining altitude to swoop around the tower back towards the bridge.

Pawetha thrusts her sword forward and nicks the captain's exposed side. He spins his greatsword around, unfazed by the small wound, and prepares to attack with the same ferocity as before.

1 failed Death Save for Rurik

Rebuke hits for full power; and Pawetha hits, but the captain seems to be barely hurt
Dec 9, 2015 12:56 pm
Zaris moves hastily to the edge of the tower by Corban and unleashes another trio of missiles at the hobgoblin in the middle of the bridge. "Corban, we are sitting ducks up here for that dragon!" he gasps. "We need to find some cover before we are poised," he adds, looking nervously at the wyrm flying overhead.

Rolls

magic missile #1 - (1d4+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

magic missile #2 - (1d4+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

magic missile #3 - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Dec 9, 2015 1:45 pm
Seeing the carnage after the dragon unleashed its acidic breath, Corban thinks carefully about his and Zaris' position. None of the thoughts are positive.

"You're right, make your way to the stairs! I'll cover your withdrawal and be right behind you!"

Corban takes aim with his crossbow and fires a shot at the hobgoblin in the opposite tower again.

Rolls

Attack with crossbow - (1D20+1)

(13) + 1 = 14

Dam w/crossbow - (1D8+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Dec 9, 2015 10:07 pm
Zaris' magic bolts strike the hobgoblin dead on his feet. Corban's bolt clangs off of the stone wall of the opposing tower. Jorr presses forward and fires an arrow at the captain engaged with Pawetha, striking him in the chest and briefly staggering him.

Zaris hits and kills, Corban misses, Jorr hits and deals a bit of damage.

Warklegnaw and Kaiakas left, Kai has 2 sets of actions...
Dec 10, 2015 12:37 am
Charging up to join Paws, I dodge much of the dragon's deadly breath. I strike at the Captain with my new blade as it glows a cold blue, one of my attacks causing frost to grow around the wound.
Last edited December 10, 2015 9:47 am

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Damage - (1d8+3, 1d6)

1d8+3 : (3) + 3 = 6

1d6 : (5) = 5

Constitution save - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Dec 10, 2015 2:10 am
I see the burning acid rain down on me and instinctively close my eyes...

The pain is not as agonizing as I thought. There's still life left in me! Huzzah! And with that victory, I run towards the nearest tower and attempt to hide behind it.

Bonus action: Hide
Last edited December 10, 2015 2:38 am

Rolls

Con Save - (1d20+1)

(14) + 1 = 15

Dec 10, 2015 8:45 am
Kaiakas strides forward, and joins in Pawetha's defence. He swings his blade and hits nothing but air, but in a follow up strike cuts across the captain's chest. The hobgoblin captain lets out another howl of rage and directs his attack towards the paladin.

The giant picks up a large rock and strides forward, standing between the two towers. He hurls the boulder and it slams into one of the two hobgoblins on the bridge, leaving a red smear in his place.

Meanwhile, Xara ducks in behind the nearest tower and is quickly forgotten about.

Kai missed, I assumed your second action was just another attack and that one hit for 11 damage.

Sorry Xara, you had an action too! :S
Dec 10, 2015 10:45 am
The captain swings twice at Kaiakas, the first attack is deflected by the paladin's own blade, but the second finds an opening in his defences (Kaiakas takes 8 damage, and the Captain grants Advantage on attack rolls against him).

The last hobgoblin on the bridge steps up to make the battle two on two, and stabs at the paladin - following the lead of his captain (Kaiakas is hit for 4 damage). The archers, no longer having Corban and Zaris to shoot at, turn their arrows to the largeset threat on the field - the giant. The three arrows plunge into Warklegnaws body, but he seems not to even notice them.

The dragon swoops around the tower and hovers near the bridge by Pawetha and Kaiakas. It looks like it might breathe its poisonous breath, but instead, after sizing the two warriors up, slams its tail on the bridge before taking to the sky again (both Kaiakas and Pawetha take 7 damage, Opportunity attack for Pawetha on the dragon).

Player turn.
Map Update
Dec 10, 2015 5:02 pm
Pawetha barely keeps her balance from the tail slap, and with vengeance lashes out at the departing dragon. As the beast flies off, the ranger returns her attention to the hobgoblin captain, thankful that the paladin is beside her.

Seeing as how the captain has backup of his own, Pawetha uses her knowledge of horde tactics to place quick strikes against each opponent and darts in and out with her shortsword.

Rolls

OA Shortsword vs Dragon, Damage - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (6) + 5 = 11

1d6+3 : (3) + 3 = 6

Shortsword vs Captain, Advantage vs Captain, Damage - (1d20+5, 1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d6+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Horde Breaker Attack vs Hobgoblin, Damage - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

1d6+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

Dec 10, 2015 9:19 pm
If the burning of the dragon's breath weren't enough, the damned hobgoblins spilt more of my blood. I didn't realize they had taken enough of my strength to drop me to my knees until my skull struck stone. My world then shakes violently, separating my consciousness from my broken, bloody body.
[OOC: Unconscious at -7 hp. Guess that'll happen with 30 damage within a couple rounds.]
Last edited December 10, 2015 9:20 pm

Rolls

Death Save - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Dec 11, 2015 10:29 am
Pawtha's attacks all miss their marks. The wounds and exhaustion are catching up with her.

Jorr lines up an arrow and fires it at one of the archers in the tower. The arrow hits the hobgoblin in the chest. He staggers back, then attempts to steady his own bow to return fire. While not dead yet, he's certain to eventually die from such a wound.

Xara, Zaris, Corban, Warklegnaw, and Rurik's death save. Zaris and Corban can, with a regular movement, reach the leftmost edge of the bridge

Rolls

Shot - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Shot (Disadvantage) - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Damage - (1d8+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Dec 13, 2015 12:37 am
Corban rushes down the stairs, and makes his way to the edge of the map. He glances up to the nearby tower and spots another hobgoblin archer up there. Corban reaches up toward him and from his hand sprouts three missiles of force that lash out and strike the archer.

Rolls

Magic missiles 3d4+3 - (3d4+3)

(123) + 3 = 9

Dec 13, 2015 2:59 am
While I'm by the tower, I search for a way to get in without being detected.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Dec 13, 2015 11:20 am
Corban's barrage of magic strikes the hobgoblin archer, who stumbles backwards. He spits a gob of blood, moves back to the edge of the tower and lines up an arrow.

Xara quickly realizes that these towers cannot be entered. They are solid stone anchors that hold the bridge in place. The only defensive or offensive use they serve is facilitated by the staircase that runs around the outside and brings one to the top of the tower.
Dec 13, 2015 11:25 am
The giant strides forward, pulling the arrows from his chest and discarding them. He steps up, carefully, beside the unconscious Kaiakas, and swings his club at the captain. The hobgoblin's eyes widen as the club strikes him in the side and casts him into the empty air over the gorge. He almost floats for a moment before, with a scream, he plummets into the rushing river hundreds of feet below.

Zaris has a turn, and also Rurik needs to make a death save. On the map, the "/" marks injured enemies
Dec 13, 2015 1:53 pm
I continue to sizzle and pop as the acid eats away at me

Rolls

Death Save - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Dec 13, 2015 4:05 pm
[OOC: Seeing Rurik make his death save, here's my second.]
Breathing...shallow. Body...acid burned.

Rolls

Death Save - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Dec 15, 2015 9:32 pm
Zaris moves quicker than he has ever moved before in his life. He nearly gags when he sees Rubik's lifeless body on the cold stone. He quickly props his head up and tries his best to use the limited medical skills to treat his fallen comrade.
Dec 16, 2015 12:42 am
Welp. There goes that plan. I turn away from the tower to see how the others are doing and am dismayed that two of my group members appear to be down. This can't be good. I take off towards Rurik, shaking him a bit and checking to make sure he's not just passed out from drink.

When that doesn't rouse him, I grab the glowy stick and poke him with it. Surely it will do something?
Last edited December 16, 2015 12:51 am

Rolls

Medicine check - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Magic healing pokey stick? - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Dec 16, 2015 7:45 pm
Zaris moves in to help Rurik, but as he does Xara steps in front of him and kneels over their fallen ally. She tries to stabilize him, but realizing she knows very little about medicine, takes the stick laying on the ground beside him that is has a faint white glow. She jabs the end of it into his stomach, hopeful that it will do something. The staff glows and Rurik's eyes fling open as he regains consciousness and the severe burning from the caustic gas fades from his flesh.

At the cost of 1 Inspiration, Xara manages to cast Cure Wounds level 2 - Rurik heals 2d8 damage and the staff has 8/10 charges left
Dec 16, 2015 7:50 pm
The two distant archers loose more arrows at the giant. Both hit Warklegnaw in the upper leg and he stumbles, nearly onto Kaiakas, but manages to retain his balance. The hobgoblin fighting Pawetha stabs at her with his sword, the blade barely catching her (4 damage). The nearest archer returns fire on Corban, but the arrow deflects off of his armour.

The dragon swoops around the tower and lands beside Xara, casting up a cloud of dirt in the fury of its beating wings. It bites at the rogue (12 damage).

Player turn. Kaiakas has already rolled (and failed) his death save for the round.
Map
Dec 16, 2015 8:06 pm
"Rurik, wake up! Come on, we're not doing so-" I don't even notice the bite as my world goes black and I collapse to the ground. The glowing staff falls somewhere next to me.
Dec 16, 2015 8:20 pm
Pawetha spins away from the hobgoblin's blade, wincing as all this activity is draining her energy. As she finishes her pirouette, Pawetha slaps her hand down on Kaiakas' body and she cries, "Baervan says, 'Get up! Move faster!'"

OOC: Casting Cure Wounds on Kaiakas for 1d8+4 HP
Dec 17, 2015 9:20 pm
Zaris aims his wand at the goblin a top the tower hoping they have the distance to take the foul creature out.

Rolls

MM 1 - (1d4+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

MM2 - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

MM3 - (1d4+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Dec 18, 2015 1:53 pm
The barrage of magic missiles strikes the hobgoblin archer and launches it backwards. He tumbles over the edge of the tower and into the gorge below.

Kaiakas, Rurik, Corban, Warklegnaw and Jorr I believe are left
Dec 19, 2015 3:46 pm
My eyes open with energy I thought was lost along with my strength to stand. Seeing Paws above me, I smile at her as I stand, surveying the battle. "What did I miss?"

Rolls

Healed by the staff - (1d8+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Dec 21, 2015 2:20 pm
Jorr fires another arrow at the archer in the distant tower, striking him between the eyes and ending his life.

Map Updated

1 Injured hobgoblin on the bridge engaged with Kaiakas and Pawetha, one archer and the dragon are all that is left.
Dec 22, 2015 5:35 am
I see a pile of gold buried in that spot by the ruins, and none of my compatriots there to claim it. I rub my hands together in glee.

Rolls

Death Save 1 (a little early) - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Jan 5, 2016 4:21 pm
Kaikas, healed by the magic of the staff, gets to his feet and drives his blade into the gut of the hobgoblin engaged with himself and Pawetha. The goblin, surprised by the previously dead paladin's sudden attack, is struck dead by the blow and topples off the bridge into the gorge below.

Warklegnaw charges across the bridge and heaves his club into the air. The small tree trunk knocks loose a few pieces of stone as it collides with the tower, and the remaining hobgoblin archer, ending his life swiftly.

Rurik steps back and unleashes a blast of eldritch energy at the dragon. The blast hits, but it does not stall the dragon's approach. Corban steps up over Xara, protecting his fallen ally, and picks up the staff. He holds it aloft, instinctively, and it releases a blast of healing energy into Xara's fallen body. Her eyes spring open, and, seeing nothing but a wall of green scales, instinctively stabs the dragon in the foot as she stands.

Sorry I just took half of your turns, but it's been weeks since we've had a post and I wanted to move this along. Dragon's turn coming in a moment. Also, everyone gets inspiration as a peace offering for taking over your characters. Even those who I didn't take over!

Xara heals 2d8, staff is at 6/10 charges
Jan 5, 2016 4:24 pm
"Pitiful." the dragon snarls, noxious clouds floating from its mouth as it talks. It drops its head and head butts Xara (13 vs AC, 14 Damage), it's tail slapping at Corban while it turns (7 vs AC, 15 Damage).

Player turn. Map Updated only enemy left is the dragon.
Jan 5, 2016 4:53 pm
Pawetha moves 20' forward until she is by the base of the nearest tower (and away from the gorge). Sliding to her knees, she pulls a bit of fleece from her lined tunic and points at a space behind the dragon's head.

From that designated point, a deep rumbling voice shouts in Draconic, "Frolok tir undin hi!" Its growling words loosely translate to Look out, behind you!

Casting Minor Illusion to distract the dragon and hopefully provide advantage to the party. Intelligence (Investigation) check vs Spell Save 12.
Jan 5, 2016 5:06 pm
Instinctively, upon hearing the booming voice of another dragon, the great beast spins his head and prepares to deflect the imaginary attack. In doing so, he leaves himself exposed (All attacks against the Dragon have Advantage)...

Failed save
Jan 5, 2016 6:02 pm
This is the moment I've been waiting for! I stab furiously at the dragon before pulling away from it.

Ooc: Disengage

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Attack with advantage - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Damage - (1d8+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Sneak attack damage - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Heal - (2d8)

(55) = 10

Attack (using inspiration?) - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Jan 6, 2016 9:43 pm
This could be the turning point we need!" Zaris says with glee as he moves to the base of the tower for the slim bit of cover it provides. He aims his wand yet again at the back of the dragon's head and whispers an ancient elven prayer hoping to drive the dragon away. He watches with satisfaction as the icy blue streaks of energy leap from his wand and race through the air to embed themselves in the dragon's body.

Rolls

Missile 1 - (1d4+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Missile 2 - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Missile 3 - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Jan 11, 2016 4:21 pm
Xara stabs repeatedly at the distracted dragon, and while she is able to hit the beast easily, her daggers find nothing but thick scale or are otherwise deflected off its hide. She rolls backwards and puts space between her and the soon to be angry dragon.

Meanwhile, Zaris unleashes a series of magic bolts, that unerringly strike the dragon in the back of the head.

Jorr takes a few steps back and looses an arrow that sinks into a soft spot in the creatures shoulder joint.

Xara misses a lot, Zaris hits with magic missile for 8 damage, Jorr hits with an arrow for 7 damage. Corban, Kaiakas, Rurik and Warklegnaw still to go
Jan 11, 2016 4:29 pm
I cough up acid tinged blood as the healing magics course through me, I point at the dragon tiredly and loose an eldritch blast at it.

Rolls

Healing magica - (2d8)

(31) = 4

Attack roll - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Eldritch damage - (1d10)

(4) = 4

Jan 12, 2016 12:56 pm
Seeing the opportunity by the distracted dragon, I charge forward to strike with the full fury of Tyr.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Attack (advantage) - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Divine Smite (Radiant damage) - (2d8)

(37) = 10

Damage - (1d8+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Frost brand - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Jan 15, 2016 3:54 pm
The giant continues streaming across the bridge, leaving you to do battle with the dragon, and starts to dismantle the hobgoblin camp - searching for cowards amongst the tents.

Corban, you're up wherever you are!
Jan 21, 2016 2:11 pm
Corban raises his blade and lunges forward, striking the distracted dragon and relieving it of a few scales (8 Damage).
Jan 21, 2016 2:14 pm
The dragon roars in anger, it surges into the air, giving Corban a chance to strike at it again (6 damage). As swiftly as it rose, it slams back to the ground on the bridge between Kaiakas and Pawetha, lunging for the druid who so irritatingly distracted (and embarrassed) the fierce creature (Claws: 9 vs AC, 12 Damage, Bite: 21 vs AC, 11 Damage).

Players are up. Map updated
Jan 21, 2016 4:13 pm
"Made you look," Pawetha smiles weakly as the dragon's bite nearly cleaves her in half, bringing her to the brink of unconsciousness. She pulls herself free of that toothy maw with a trail of her own blood, and reaches to her belt pouch for a potion. Pawetha bites the stopper off and downs the vial's contents in one tankard-swilling take.

The ranger crouches and slips under the dragon's bulk to Move Through Its Space to the other side.

OOC: I'm assuming the potion will take up my entire Action. Also that the dragon's size compared to mine allows me to move under and get behind it, without leaving its space for opportunity attacks.

Rolls

Potion of Greater Healing - (4d8+4)

(7847) + 4 = 30

Jan 21, 2016 7:22 pm
Without a moment of hesitation, Zaris steps forward again aiming his wand at the green wyrm. He certainly feels that the battle will soon be theres. "If you want to live dragon, then yield!" he shouts loosing three more orbs of blue-white energy.

Rolls

MM 1 - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

MM 2 - (1d4+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

MM 3 - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Jan 25, 2016 1:15 pm
Pawetha slips under the dragon's massive size and scurries to the other side while drinking a potion. Then, a series of magical bolts leap from Zaris' wand and splash the dragon in teh face. It lets out a defiant bellow in response, and puffs of poison gas begin to float from the back of its throat.
Jan 26, 2016 3:02 pm
Jorr keeps his distance and fires another arrow at the dragon. The constant battering is slowing the dragon down, it steps forward but the footfall is heavy...
OOC:
Kaiakas, Ceadron Rurik, Corban are left to act. I'll resolve Corban's action once the other two are done.
Jan 26, 2016 5:46 pm
While my friends keep the dragon occupied, I go in and attempt to poke some holes. Then, I disengage and start running towards its back, hoping it loses track of me...

Ooc: disengage!
Last edited January 26, 2016 5:48 pm

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Attack! (w/advantage) - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Damage - (1d8+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Sneak attack damage - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Jan 28, 2016 9:25 pm
"Keep at him everyone!" Zaris shouts, sensing that the dragon's time may soon be up. He hated killing another creature but knew there was nothing more to do given it was out to kill them. No shame in self defense.
Jan 28, 2016 9:42 pm
"Geez Zaris, What do you think I'm trying to do?!"
Last edited January 28, 2016 9:43 pm
Jan 29, 2016 3:48 am
I roar my righteous fury at the vile beast as I take another swing at it
OOC:
Using Channel Divinity: Vow of Enmity. Advantage against the dragon for 1 minute.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Attack (Advantage) - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Damage - (1d8+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Frost damage - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Jan 29, 2016 4:17 pm
Xara stabs at the beast, but is unable to find a fleshy target between the thick scales and tough hide.

Kaiaks' blade sinks into the beasts hide. Scales chip under the magic of the frost and flake away.
OOC:
Rurik, Ceadron Corban if my records are right
Jan 29, 2016 9:22 pm
"I know you are Xara! I thought this was the sort of thing one says in these situations." Zaris blushes, feeling a bit embarrassed about himself.
Jan 29, 2016 9:37 pm
"Damn ye wyrm, just die!" I wearily exclaim sending another blast of eldritch energy at the beast

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Damage - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Critical damage - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Feb 2, 2016 3:05 pm
The eldrtich blast strieks the dragon in the open maw, staggering it for a moment. Corban strides forward, bravely engaging the dragon, and thrusts his blade at its head. His blade sinks into the dragons skull through its eye. The blade is stuck, and the dragon swats out at him, knocking Corban back. He rolls, and stops just shy of rolling into the gorge. Then, the dragon slumps forward - dead.
OOC:
Combat over. Phew

Rolls

Longsword - (1d20+6)

(16) + 6 = 22

Damage - (1d8+6)

(6) + 6 = 12

Feb 2, 2016 3:12 pm
I head over to the dragon's body and stand over it before addressing the others. "You think we should take some trophies back with us? They'll sing songs about us for sure!"
Feb 2, 2016 3:27 pm
I sink down to the ground wearily, almost all of my energies spent from the battle. "I think I need a rest, it feels like we've been fighting this battle for months."
Feb 2, 2016 3:31 pm
"Really! I'm feeling invigorated! So uh... why were we out here again? I mean I know dragon-killing is fairly typical in my line of work but for some reason I thought we were brought here for some purpose. Oh well, I'm sure it wasn't important."
Feb 2, 2016 4:33 pm
Pawetha appraises the dragon's body. Perhaps something useful might be harvested from the corpse.

"We came here for the bridge," she says. "It was perhaps the only crossing for miles for the Red Hand. If we can destroy it, we'd delay their war efforts considerably.

"But before that, let's see if there's anything else in this camp. Xara, that tower the dragon perched upon might have its hoard."

Rolls

Nature (to see if I can harvest scales, teeth, and other useful things from the dragon) - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Feb 2, 2016 5:05 pm
"Is everything else dead? I wouldn't want any surprises. Some of us can't handle it." I gesture towards Rurik, who has seen better days. Then I do a quick walk-through searching for anything of interest.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Investigation? - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Feb 2, 2016 5:08 pm
OOC:
I know the giant went off to the other side of the bridge to smack the camp around. Unsure if he found anything worth smacking.
Feb 2, 2016 8:42 pm
Those who head to the other side of the bridge find Warklegnaw has toss the fabric of the tents aside and scattered about the area the tattered bedrolls, and meagre supplies that had been stored within each. Nothing of interest, and no surviving hobgoblins, are in this area. The towers are all identical and uninteresting. A barrel of arrows is at the top of each, and a wooden stool but otherwise nothing of note. On one of the bodies, probably a messenger as he wore lighter armour than the rest, Xara finds a note written in goblin. Translated it reads Find that bugbear sorcerer Koth and get his report! He's late!. The note is signed with the symbol of the red hand hoard.

Pawetha realizes that, even getting a few scales off a dragon's corpse will take significant effort. If the group rested here for a while, then she would definitely be able to get some useful materials, but in a hurry she'd be luckier to find a scale on the ground loosened and shed during the battle.
Feb 3, 2016 12:57 am
Zaris crumbles to the ground upon seeing the dragon breathe its last breaths. Sitting on his knees, he puts his face into his hands and bows his head down towards the creature. "If only conflict didn't need to end this way," he mutters looking up and staring at the dragon. His gaze moves over to Rurik and, if realizing the severity of the situation, he jumps up and rushes to Rurik. "How are you?"
Last edited February 3, 2016 1:00 am
Feb 3, 2016 12:52 pm
I mouth a silent prayer to Tyr, in thanks of victory. After healing myself some, I look around to my companions to see if anyone is in need of healing.
OOC:
Use Lay on Hands on self.
Feb 3, 2016 3:18 pm
As the group recuperates, Jorr carries on the work they came to do - inspecting the towers and the bridge for weak points. Finally, he shouts, "The towers anchor the bridge. If we destroyed on tower, the whole thing might collapse into the gorge. Destroy two towers and it will certainly fall. Of course, now we need to figure out how to do damage to these solid cylinders of stone and mortar."
Feb 3, 2016 5:16 pm
Pawetha rests a hand on the dragon's head. "Can the big guy give a few whacks at the base of a tower, much like chopping down a tree?" If she just had a bit of time, she'd love to bring some of this dragon home.
Feb 5, 2016 5:10 am
"Forget the tower! This thing should be our priority now. Do you think the wings could be mounted on something? Or maybe the head?" I attempt to lift some part of the dragon to determine what, if any part, could easily be transported back with us. Surely it's not as heavy as it looks...
Feb 5, 2016 4:05 pm
Xara attempts to lift the dragon's wing and quickly realizes her assessment is very wrong. Even dead, or perhaps especially dead, the dragon weighs a lot. Pawetha quietly informs her that, if they want to take any trophies, samples or parts back with them then they will need time to carve and butcher the corpse. Depending on what they want, it could take hours. But, it can definitely be done.

Warklegnaw lumbers over as Jorr and Pawetha discuss dismantling the bridge. The giant nods affirmatively at Paws' suggestion, "I can smash the towers. Bring em' down like me and my kin did the human fort."
OOC:
If you want to butcher the dragon, for any purposes, here's what I propose in terms of timing: it will take at least an hour to carefully remove any amount of useable parts. There's enough here that you could, given time and an appropriate expert, do some useful things with it. Fangs and claws can be fashioned into weapons - makeshift ones rapidly (a dragon claw, a bit of wood and some twine makes a shiv) - and good quality ones with an experts help (daggers swords and the like). Scales bones and hide could become armour as well. It's a young dragon, so there's enough here, I'd say, for 1 suit of armour and 2 small weapons (or 1 large one, such as a great axe or great sword). You could also get 1 'trophy' out of it (a necklace or something) and maybe some misc supplies for making 'green dragon' themed alchemical stuffs. To salvage enough to make the armour, you'll need 2 hours. 1 hour for each weapon, and 1 hour for the 'trophy' and 1 hour for the 'alchemical supplies'. In total, 6 hours will let you get everything useful out of it. Less than 6 hours, you decide how those hours are spent.
Feb 5, 2016 4:33 pm
"When could we reasonably expect reinforcements?" Pawetha asks of the group. "How much time should we linger?"
Feb 9, 2016 4:58 am
"As long as it takes. Should we try to drag it away from the bridge? What do you think, Paws? Or maybe start cutting it up here?" I'm already thinking of all the things I'll tell the next bard I meet. They truly make the best companions, other than my current motley crew of course. I still have much to teach them, but they're making progress!
Feb 9, 2016 6:21 am
"I really wouldn't mind wearing its hide and scales," mumbles Pawetha. "That'd take me at least a couple of hours."

She looks up at the rest of the party. "What do you all think? Smash this place and get out of here now?"
Feb 9, 2016 1:13 pm
Zaris stared intently at the far end of the bridge. "It certainly is a trophy," he said, looking back at the dragon's corpse. "But look at us! I doubt we could stand another battle right now. If anyone else comes up that road we'd be in trouble." He turned back to his watch over the bridge.
Feb 9, 2016 2:10 pm
"Zaris, we've just killed a dragon. Anyone who wants to mess with us now is crazy! Surely they'd know better? Anyway, I feel fine!"
Feb 9, 2016 6:51 pm
The giant lumbers over and grabs onto the dragon's front legs. With a great heave, he drags the heavy corpse across the bridge and deposits it on the side of the forest that you had come from. Then he points to the far towers, "Want me to destroy the towers and the bridge?"
Feb 9, 2016 6:56 pm
"Sure, why not. I don't see anything else over there worth checking out. What do you guys say?"
Feb 9, 2016 8:08 pm
"Warklegnaw, perhaps it's best if you destroy the towers on our side of the bridge," says Pawetha, relying on her rudimentary knowledge of architecture. "I wouldn't want you to get stranded on the hobgoblin side."
Feb 9, 2016 8:10 pm
The old giant shakes his head, "I'll not live the winter. I prefer die in glorious battle to death from shivering cold and weakness of age." he points to the other side of the bridge, "There, an army will come and see the bridge I have destroyed. They will avenge their fallen allies, and I will crush many of them before they fell me."
Feb 9, 2016 8:17 pm
Pawetha places her hands on her hips. "There's got to be a better way," she says, thinking aloud. "Do you have kin nearby? I know the humans had attacked you in the past; were there any other survivors?"
Feb 9, 2016 8:35 pm
"Warklegnaw is the only survivor. The others died in the attack on the humans who destroyed our home and killed our families. I am the last forest giant of these woods."
Feb 9, 2016 8:58 pm
Pawetha nods, stepping up to the giant and placing a hand on his leg. She recognizes a warrior's life and feels a certain kinship in this forest entity's last request.
Feb 10, 2016 1:03 pm
Zaris sighs. "It's the least we can do for Warklegnaw for what he has helped us with."
Feb 10, 2016 1:44 pm
The giant gentle grasps Pawetha's shoulder and gives her a firm, but friendly, shake, before turning and heading across the bridge. He gets to work destroying the anchoring towers with a large stone. It takes a few moments, you watch either him or Pawetha working on the dragon corpse. After a half hour the first tower falls, tumbling into the depths of the chasm and taking half the bridge with it. A thin path still connects across the gorge, and Warklegnaw begins on the second tower. Another half hour and it comes down as well, the remains of the bridge falling away as it does.

A few more hours go by. Warklegnaw has set to work piling up large stones from the tower remains in preparation for his final battle. Looks like he is making himself a supply of good sized rocks for throwing. Pawetha continues to work the dragon, and as night falls she removes the last fistful of scales and places them in the pile of scavenged materials.
OOC:
You have materials enough from the dragon to make 1 suit of armour, 2 one-handed weapons and a single 'trophy'. You'll need a smithy, of course, to get these things made. Night has just fallen.
Feb 10, 2016 1:50 pm
"Great work, everyone! We've accomplished a lot today. How about we grab some drinks and celebrate before calling it a night?"
Last edited February 10, 2016 1:51 pm
Feb 10, 2016 3:40 pm
Pawetha hefts and adjusts her laden pack. Her hood is pulled low over her ratty hair and she grunts in assent. "Back to the giant's castle," she mumbles quietly.
Feb 10, 2016 9:33 pm
"I need a good night's rest. Let's get inside," Zaris says.
Feb 11, 2016 4:53 pm
"Alright guys, but one of these days, some time soon, we are going to take a break and celebrate. It's been too long." I make my way back and check on my hidden stash of gold as soon as I can.
Last edited February 11, 2016 4:54 pm
Feb 11, 2016 4:59 pm
You arrive at the ruined of the castle after an hour of trekking back through the forest. The castle is as quiet as you left it, and Xara finds her gold stash undisturbed. You find comfortable places to rest, then rotate watch duty through the rest of the night...

New Thread

You do not have permission to post in this thread.