Chapter 5: Pleased to Meet You

load previous
Oct 1, 2019 4:28 am
Machiabelly says:
What does he have over you Kazia? You don't seem like a zealot or a warlord. Tell me what's going on, maybe I can help.
OOC:
Can I get a feel for where she is from, either by speech patterns or clothes?
You get the sense that she is probably from somewhere here in Alcave, though not quite the same speech patterns in Hara. Based on what you've heard in your travels, you'd hazard a guess she's from somewhere in the south of the country.

"What do they have over all of us? Fear, mostly. In my case, fear and family," she mumbles. Her focus on keeping her voice quiet and lips from moving too much suggests she feels she's being watched.

She turns down another street toward a less populated area of the city, mostly old abandoned warehouses. "If you see Anders a'Valas... looks a little like me, not tall, but broad-shouldered and a kind face... tell him his sister still thinks of him."

Pausing briefly in a quiet alley, Kazia turns to look at Wil and says, "They can't be stopped, Mr. Leancam. Many have tried. And I very much fear it's far too late. There's something else going on in there, something serious. You can feel the tension rising even among Mr. Crow's people. I don't know how long before whatever it is will happen, but I feel like it will be soon."
Oct 1, 2019 4:50 am
Wil reaches and takes her hand.

Thank you Kazia. I know it couldn't have been easy to tell me anything. If I see your brother, I will pass your message on. If I manage to get out of this, and him as well, should I tell him to head south? Maybe you might get out of town and head that way yourself.

He looks around and lets go of her hand.

I know you think I am doomed, but luck favours the bold...and the short.

He takes a breath, and makes a decision.

Kazia, you have been honest with me, so it is important for me to be honest with you. My name is Wil and I am no mage. I also am not suicidal. I do not want anything that happens to reflect on you. If you can get out of town tonight and head south...you should.

He looks her in the eyes one last time before resuming his march.

I have put my life in your hand. I hope I can trust you. But believe me, I will do my best to save your brother.
Last edited October 1, 2019 4:51 am
Oct 1, 2019 5:01 am
Moonbeam says:
Verrian's heart leaps at the sight of Pip, but she only gives him a tiny nod and continues to follow the young man.
The young man wends his way through an increasingly dense crowd. Hardly crowded, but at the very least, it gets a bit harder to follow him. Not impossible, by any means, but it does take a bit of focus. He seems surprisingly cheerful, even going so far as to whistle a quiet tune as he works his way down the street.

He slows at the head of an alley, looks both ways, then moves into the alleyway. The sun is almost completely down now, darkness creeping around the buildings and through the streets. Looking into where her guide went, Verrian sees mostly old piles of crates and boxes, the ground littered with dead leaves and debris from the street outside. What she doesn't see is the young man.
Oct 1, 2019 5:07 am
Instantly on her guard, Verrian slows her pace and keeps her eyes and ears open for clues as she enters the alley. She's aware that the only weapon she's wearing within easy reach is the dagger hidden in her wrist sheath. Well, at least that's wound up and ready for action, if need be.
[ +- ] Danger Sense

Rolls

Where boy go? - (1d20+7)

(10) + 7 = 17

Oct 1, 2019 5:16 am
As Verrian moves a little farther into the alley and takes a peek around, she spots a cellar door mostly hidden by boxes and crates. It's propped just slightly open with a stick. It seems like the only place anyone could've disappeared to in this dead-end alley.
Oct 1, 2019 5:23 am
Still keeping her heightened level of alertness, Verrian looks around the alley to make sure no one might be watching, then she opens the cellar door and climbs down.
Oct 1, 2019 8:03 pm
As the sun goes down, Uelten holds them back. "We wait to full dark. The field is open, they'll see anything moving. " He scrounged the building in the fading light for anything that will help their ascent. He settles on a long board, longer than he is tall.

In full dark, they padfoot across the field. Gingerly, the board swinging wildly and nearly cracking the others, often, ("Gack. Sorry. Oops. Watch there.")

After the long crossing, they reach the wall. Uelten had a shot picked out. "I'm absolutely certain there is a low smithery on the other side, a quick hop down and we're knee deep in shorts and... Er, well we're safe, that is."

They begin the ascent, unable to judge how far it is up, due to the darkness and the complete lack of setting notes at Uelten's disposal.

Rolls

Imma Roll something maybe? - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Oct 1, 2019 8:57 pm
"Agreed, but allow me to lead. Even in an open field, we may find holes or sudden falls. I can guide us through the darkness to the wall." Coreene says as Uelten searches for a board.

Coreene keeps her eyes peeled. Every movement and speck of light gives her momentary pause. All this is for naught if they are caught.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+11)

(19) + 11 = 30

Oct 1, 2019 9:00 pm
Machiabelly says:
Wil reaches and takes her hand.

Thank you Kazia. I know it couldn't have been easy to tell me anything. If I see your brother, I will pass your message on. If I manage to get out of this, and him as well, should I tell him to head south? Maybe you might get out of town and head that way yourself.

He looks around and lets go of her hand.

I know you think I am doomed, but luck favours the bold...and the short.

He takes a breath, and makes a decision.

Kazia, you have been honest with me, so it is important for me to be honest with you. My name is Wil and I am no mage. I also am not suicidal. I do not want anything that happens to reflect on you. If you can get out of town tonight and head south...you should.

He looks her in the eyes one last time before resuming his march.

I have put my life in your hand. I hope I can trust you. But believe me, I will do my best to save your brother.
"There's nothing left to the south," Kazia says flatly, an emptiness to her voice that hints at something more than just not wanting to go back. "If, somehow, you succeed where others have failed... our aunt lived near the Naucan border. Rumors say that land hasn't... been broken."

She continues walking, but only a short distance more. The narrow street opens onto a large warehouse with few distinguishing features on the outside. Two men -- not Hara city guard, but dressed in more mundane, civilian clothing -- stand outside the large doors leading in. Their rough appearance, leather armor and short swords at their hips suggest that while they may not be employed by the city guard, they're likely capable guards nonetheless.

Kazia dips her head in a short bow. "Friglade Leancam," she says, eyes still downcast, gesturing at Wil. "Sent by Mr. Crow for safekeeping."

The taller of the two guards, dark-haired with a scruffy beard, snorts out a dry laugh. "Sure. Sure. Come on in," he says, gesturing to the other, who opens the door. "When you gonna let me keep you safe, Kazia?" he says, leering openly at the woman.

Kazia straightens, but keeps her eyes down. It's not hard for Wil, at her side, to recognize the sudden tension in her manner.
Oct 1, 2019 9:09 pm
Moonbeam says:
Still keeping her heightened level of alertness, Verrian looks around the alley to make sure no one might be watching, then she opens the cellar door and climbs down.
As she climbs down the stone steps into the cellar, there's obvious light ahead; a lantern probably, considering the steady glow. Sure enough, as Verrian reaches the bottom of the stairs, the young man who led her here is standing in a small cellar room, leaning against a heavy wooden door reinforced with iron bands. This is the only other exit.

"Don't know who you are. Trevan seemed to think you needed help, but I think you're more than just a poor lost soul who's lost their family. We see a lotta them round here these days, and they're not so clever at following someone through a crowd as you are," he says, idle grin lopsided across his face. He's perhaps in his late teens, maybe as old as 20. His patchy whiskers and unlined face suggest something closer to the former. "But I don't need to know your story. Save it for inside. What I do need to know is that you're not with the Crows. Cause if you are, well... we're done here."

As he says that, Verrian hears footsteps on the cellar stairs behind her, the door closing and something heavy being slid into place outside. A look over her shoulder is plenty to notice a heavy-set woman with a shaved head and arms the size of tree trunks joining them in the room. She carries no weapons and wears no armor, but the thinly disguised menace in her eyes and her obvious strength suggests she might not need any.
Oct 1, 2019 9:16 pm
Verrian nods amiably at the woman, then turns back to the young man, her expression serious. "I don't need to know who you are to know that we're on the same side... if you're against the Crows."

She spits on the floor to underscore the sentiment.
Oct 1, 2019 9:17 pm
DarkReaver1998 says:
"Agreed, but allow me to lead. Even in an open field, we may find holes or sudden falls. I can guide us through the darkness to the wall." Coreene says as Uelten searches for a board.

Coreene keeps her eyes peeled. Every movement and speck of light gives her momentary pause. All this is for naught if they are caught.
Coreene nimbly maneuvers the party outside the walls through the fields and ramshackle village outside the main gate. Traveling along the wall, it's not far before the group finds a spot where the once-proud city walls have crumbled to the point where it should be a fairly straightforward scramble up the stone rubble and perhaps an eight-to-ten foot climb over the remaining wall with plenty of hand- and footholds. From Uelten and Coreene's recollection of the city, this should be a relatively quiet place to go over the wall. Assuming nothing significant has changed in the last week.
OOC:
DC 10 climb check to go over without a grappling hook. If someone has a hook and wants to try it, it's a ranged attack roll against AC 5. It would then decrease the climb check to DC 5.
Oct 1, 2019 9:20 pm
Uelten puts his board down and uses the rope and grappling hook.

Rolls

Ranged attack - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Climb - (1d20+0)

(4) = 4

Oct 1, 2019 9:27 pm
Yelnar regretfully leaves behind the weapon sled, hoping they’ll be reunited once more. It’s an epic story, tears are shed. There is much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

He bundles his armour into a tightly packed sack so it doesn’t make much noise to enable him to get over the wall better.

When they reach the wall, Yelnar motions to the others that he can help boost them up the wall. He climbs the rubble portion, and awaits to help the rest.

Rolls

His turn to Climb - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Oct 1, 2019 9:48 pm
Coreene looks around, carefully considering how she will make it up. It shouldn't be hard, but remembering her last climbing attempt, she didn't feel reassured in her abilities. But she does it, for her new friends, and for her dedication to fulfilling her promise

Rolls

Climb - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Oct 1, 2019 10:14 pm
Ember watches the others go up and hopes for the best.

Rolls

Climb is strength, right? - (1d20-1)

(14) - 1 = 13

Oct 1, 2019 10:44 pm
78RPMLife says:
[quote="Machiabelly"]
The taller of the two guards, dark-haired with a scruffy beard, snorts out a dry laugh. "Sure. Sure. Come on in," he says, gesturing to the other, who opens the door. "When you gonna let me keep you safe, Kazia?" he says, leering openly at the woman.

Kazia straightens, but keeps her eyes down. It's not hard for Wil, at her side, to recognize the sudden tension in her manner.
Thank you Kazia. Tell Mr. Crow that I hope to thank him in person for my safety.

He turns to the guards.

Shall we go in? Or do you have more rude things to say to the lady?
Oct 1, 2019 10:44 pm
Last but not least Elora makes for the wall, hoping to find Pip somewhere on the other side.

Rolls

Climbin' - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Oct 2, 2019 7:13 pm
Moonbeam says:
Verrian nods amiably at the woman, then turns back to the young man, her expression serious. "I don't need to know who you are to know that we're on the same side... if you're against the Crows."

She spits on the floor to underscore the sentiment.
The young man gives a short laugh, nods once, and says to the woman, "Livia? What do you think?"

Livia walks around to stand in front of Verrian, looks her up and down, not bothering to hide her skeptical expression. "If she's acting, then Roland's been hiring a lot higher quality of henchman these days. I say let her in," she replies.

The young man nods and knocks on the door. Twice, then a pause, then twice more. Verrian can hear the sound of a wooden bar being removed from the other side of the door, and then it's pulled open from the inside.

Livia enters first, then the young man gestures politely for Verrian to follow. "I'm Giran. Welcome to Hara's last surviving outpost of resistance," he says with a half-bow, teasing smile.
Oct 2, 2019 7:18 pm
Verrian sketches an ironic curtsy in response and follows Livia through the door. "It's an honor."
load next

Thread locked