The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh OOC Thread

load previous
Feb 3, 2020 6:03 pm
Sorry about that. It was a long week, but I'm back. The service was very emotional but was standing room only.
Feb 3, 2020 6:12 pm
No apologies needed. We're glad to have you back, but don't forget to take care of yourself, too!
Feb 3, 2020 7:13 pm
DeJoker says:
I do not see how using a bow would be an effective option as:
Quote:
You can make a ranged attack against an enemy on the other side of an ally or enemy creature. However the following rules apply (based on how many creatures are between you and it):

One creature: Half-cover (+2 AC)

Two creatures: 3/4-cover (+5 AC)

Three creatures or more: Full cover (can't target)

If you do not hit the AC of the creature you were trying to hit, but do hit the AC of one or more of the intervening creatures, then you hit the nearest one you hit the AC for instead. This includes allies.

For spells that specify targeting a location or creature ‘that you can see’, you can cast past one or two creatures, but not past three or more.
Which book has these rules? I'm not familiar with this, as I've only experienced allowing people to fire through allies with DM-perogative to apply half cover to the target.
Feb 3, 2020 8:48 pm
I am not sure where that was located exactly but maybe it was just an extrapolation of this which is in the DMG page 272
Quote:
Hitting Cover
When a ranged attack misses a target that has cover, you can use this optional rule to determine whether the cover was struck by the attack. First, determine whether the attack roll would have hit the protected target without the cover. If the attack roll falls within a range low enough to miss the target but high enough to strike the target if there had been no cover, the object used for cover is struck. If a creature is providing cover for the missed creature and the attack roll exceeds the AC of the covering creature, the covering creature is hit.
So this covers both accidentally hitting a creature providing cover (optional) -- and of course the PHB 196 guidelines go over Cover -- however a creature may actually provide more than 1/2 cover depending on its relative size and position and the size and position of the target creature. I think a goblin behind a human is harder to hit than a orc behind a hobbit -- for instance. So its not a stead fast guideline that a creature only provides half-cover that is just I think an example. Further cover to me really involves stationary objects -- when the cover is erratically moving around (such as one does one in combat) then to me that makes it even harder to hit the target. So if one were to only apply half cover I would probably also apply Disadvantage if the shooter does not want to hit the cover -- this combination kind of covers the old guideline of firing into combat and not hitting your friends
Last edited February 3, 2020 9:05 pm
Mar 2, 2020 9:56 pm
I have not dropped or died. I just have a convention to help run this weekend, so my time will be very limited until Tuesday. I will try to log in and make updates, but I just can't be certain from day to day that I will be able to do so. So please stick around and we'll be back in action as soon as possible.
Mar 18, 2020 4:37 am
Hey everyone. I’m sorry to say but with real life come real issues. Due to medical issues with my wife and having a 15 month old and everything shutting down, I’m finding myself with very little time these days. With that being said, I can only maintain 4 games right now, a solo one I’m DMing, a solo one I’m playing, and two others that aren’t very demanding. I’m sorry guys. Hopefully in a few months life gets less hectic.
Mar 18, 2020 2:23 pm
I understand. Thank you for sticking with it as long as you did.
Mar 21, 2020 3:03 pm
Hello everyone, kinda oposite of theeyetyrant here, found myself with a lot of free time due to the lockdown and I'm using it to live the GM dream: play as a player! Still looking around to catch up with the story, see what the party looks like right now and set up my character. Thanks for having me!
Mar 22, 2020 2:10 pm
Okay, I've approved Dark Raider's character and will be working him into the story shortly. Carry on, please! The skeletal caster came from a secret door beyond the room where the skeletons were.
Mar 22, 2020 2:16 pm
[ +- ] DarK_RaiderR
Mar 30, 2020 6:58 am
This game still active? I'd post but my character is basically incapacitated
Mar 30, 2020 12:39 pm
I begin to wonder. I was waiting on someone to confirm Huck's progression, but it seems that I will have to nudge them. I'll post later today to try and get them moving.
Mar 30, 2020 3:50 pm
I may be confused as to where people are going. DeJoker mentioned checking out a closed door. Is that the same door the skeleton spellcaster came out from?
Mar 30, 2020 4:25 pm
No that is the door just outside the room that the skeletons were in the one that was walked past to open the skeleton door

I am also confused -- I believe Huck stated he was going with the Cleric to where the skeleton wizard came from
Last edited March 30, 2020 4:27 pm
Mar 30, 2020 4:36 pm
Okay, thanks for the clarification.
Mar 31, 2020 3:30 pm
I hope we are not going to have an issue of players taking all the loot for themselves -- yeah I know this group has no formal agreement to this end but -- is anyone planning on playing chaotic greedy? I would like to know now.
Last edited March 31, 2020 3:30 pm
Apr 1, 2020 4:34 pm
Hmm no response not very encouraging in light of recent in-game events some feedback would be appreciated
Last edited April 1, 2020 4:35 pm
Apr 1, 2020 4:53 pm
Personally, I let my character's actions speak towards their intentions. If the in-game event you're referring to is Kat's possession of everything magical, I did mention that she'll figure out what everything was when there was time. To me it felt like maybe a few minutes had passed since I took the stone, bag, and book, which isn't a lot of time to properly identify and decide who is going to take what.

If you need the assurances of a player, I have no intention of hoarding everything to myself.
Apr 1, 2020 5:27 pm
Thank you and yes that was an I the player question not an I the character one

As an explanation I asked because you never know and I have met players that feel that everything their character acquires is there's end of story and while my character will react according to what they know and do not know -- I the player do not much care for that style of play as I find it detracts from the fun for all -- which is to say I have played in groups where players did that and the game died fairly quickly which was rather sad
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.