The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Oct 1, 2019 1:59 pm
Each of you has come to the small town of Saltmarsh for your own reaons, but above all, a mystery beckons. Talgris the alchemist lived a hermit's life, with few visitors and fewer friends. But a young messenger once emerged from the house with a story of a grand library containing countless tomes. Retellings of the messenger's tale have varied over the years, with the most popular versions suggesting that the alchemist had discovered a method of transforming base metals into gold. Even if this should prove to be untrue, it might be worth a look to see the library (and perhaps some of the books would be worth money).

Saltmarsh's roughly five thousand residents are predominantly human, with the dwarven mining contingent of about two hundred workers the largest non-human faction in town. Elves and halflings draw no special notice since the Silverstand hosts a wood elf enclave and a few halfling villages are tucked in the hills around town. Half-orcs, deep gnomes, and other rarified beings draw suspicion and fearful glances.

As you approach the town's main gate, the guards hail you. "Well met. State your name and your business." A scribe stands by to record the information.

Map of Saltmarsh You are at 1.
Oct 1, 2019 2:49 pm
I am Lord Marcellus De Artigan of House De Artigan. I present my papers. I am here on business dealing with the acquisition of some ores for my father.
Oct 1, 2019 7:32 pm
A small, shy voice emits from a small but attractive Forest Gnome with long, straight purple hair with white streaks. She wears calf-high black boots, a black and dark grey marbled knee-length tunic with long sleeves, a light purple hooded cloak with some purple leaf work about her shoulders. She has a quiver of arrows at her side, a composite short bow slung across her back and a gleaming sickle.

"My name is Dorsa Silverthread. I am here to see Krag and Eliander to conduct research into the local history."
Last edited October 1, 2019 8:53 pm
Oct 1, 2019 9:27 pm
A half-elf, with a bag the size of himself with a few strings falling out and a fake crown sitting right on top, offers his hand to both the guard and scribe. Hallo guardsmen, and good evening! Twilliam Teak, story tumbler, on my way to The Slapping Line meeting the proprietor, Wallace Aler*. I will be performing in town for the next fortnight. You both look like you’ve had a well worn working week. If you can spare the time. I’d take it as full compliment to see you at the show.
*if I can name them
Last edited October 2, 2019 10:17 pm
Oct 2, 2019 9:16 pm
A tall, weather-beaten man approaches Saltmarsh's main gate. He has a thick black beard, and dark eyes that are shaded by his dark bushy brows. He walks with confidence of a man that knows his purpose. Wearing shiny chainmail armor, he carries a vicious-looking trident, and has both a crossbow and shield strapped to his pack.

He addresses the guard "Good day to you sir. I am Pebelmis Kurcot. I am a follower of Procan and I come to visit Wellgar Brinehanded at the temple."
Oct 3, 2019 9:20 pm
As each of you speaks, the scribe dutifully records your names and reasons for being in Saltmarsh.

"Well, know this," the grizzled guardsman growls, "We be a respectable community and don't take kindly to people starting trouble. Just you remember that and keep your noses clean. Now go on, and have a good day." He waves you through the gate.

Continuing along the path, you see two buildings ahead, one to either side of the road. On the left is a small building with a recently added wing (2) and on the right what appears to be a tavern (3). The tavern bears a hanging wooden sign showing a goat made of wicker. Further off to the north (left), you can make out the form of a tall stone tower (12).
Oct 3, 2019 9:33 pm
As you approach, you notice someone being "helped" out of the tavern, a short, stocky man. He scrambles to his feet, cursing at the two people in front of him: a tall middle-aged man with a stern face and a red-haired female dwarf, burly arms crossed before her. "Hold your tongue, before you say something that really gets me mad, you old seadog," the tall man says angrily. "You're free to visit if you want an ale that doesn't taste like the piss you serve down at the Net, but I'll not tolerate you stealing away my customers right under my nose, Kreb!"

Wearing an angry shade of red under his thick whiskers, Kreb responds with an accusatory finger: "Bugger you, Lankus, I's just doin' me civic duty by informin' the folks o'er 'ere that there'll be free food and drink at the Empty Net tonight, court'sy of Mr. Primewater. Why, Lady Copperlocks, I thought ye and yers was 'posed to keep order 'round 'ere, but ye're letting this landlubber violate me, while ye imprison honest fishermen just tryin' to earn a living wage!"

The red-haired dwarf holds back Lankus with an outstretched arm, as she says: "We've imprisoned smugglers, not fishermen, although I can imagine how ye'd have a hard time distinguishing between the two, with the clientele you keep. And while it is Councilman Primewater's right to hold a banquet in their 'honor' at yer establishment, it is also Lankus' right to forcefully evict unwanted patrons from his private property. Go about yer business now, Kreb, before I report ye to Captain Eliander for disturbing the peace – and my lunch!"
Oct 4, 2019 12:10 am
Twill's eye widen at the thought of free food and drink. He hurries over to the three. Good afternoon. I hope to not interrupt your lunches much longer. My curiosity caught the better of me, Kreb is it? And Lankus? Proprietors of Empty Net and I'd assume he looks at the sign Wicker Ram? I'm Twilliam I'll be performing at The Slapping Line for Wallace for a few weeks. Is this Councilman Primewater a generous man? Would you both be interested in a proposal for Mr. Primewater? Have you ever heard of a pub crawl?
OOC:
Twilliam will proceed to explain a pub crawl to the three if anyone asks. His goal is to get Mr. Primewater to pay for drinks at all three bars and a small parade to happen in the town. If he's a politician maybe it'll work.
Oct 5, 2019 6:14 am
Tani sent a note to discourage
Oct 5, 2019 7:04 am
discourage sent a note to Tani
Pebelmis stops and looks around him, as if trying to find the source of a sound. Not seeing anything obvious, he begins listening to a half-elf in front of a tavern talking about something called a "pub crawl".
Oct 5, 2019 7:47 am
Dorsa sees no fun in a pub crawl at all. She looks around for signs of birdlife. If she finds a bird, she will communicate with it in order to find Eliander. If not, she will head towards the tall stone tower.
Oct 5, 2019 9:01 pm
The two men and the female dwarf stare at Twilliam for a moment, as if deciding what to make of the newcomer. "A good, old-fashioned pub crawl, eh?" the dwarf seems enthused. "Only thing is, the only place worth crawling to is the Wicker Goat, 'ere." Lankus puffs up visibly at her statement. He glares at Kreb. The shorter man takes offense and snaps, "My establishment beats yours any day of the week, Lankus. You've got Lady Copperlocks here in your back pocket, is all."

"Why not prove it, then? Maybe a pub crawl might be worthwhile. It would certainly net me some new clientele," Lankus laughs.

"Maybe I will," Kreb retorts. "Maybe I'll bring up the suggestion to Councilman Primewater!"

"Right then, tell him he's welcome in the Wicker Goat if he wants a decent ale."

With that, Kreb stalks off towards town. "Sorry for that display, my friends. Welcome to the Wicker Goat. Won't you please come inside?"

Dorsa manages to attract the attention of a gull, roosting nearby. After a brief conversation that revolves around things that belong to it, the gull will give her directions, instructing her to go to the tower.
Oct 6, 2019 1:28 am
Dorsa thanks the gull and heads straight to the stone tower.
Oct 7, 2019 12:12 am
Twilliam shouts after Kreb, I will see you tonight! he turns to Lankus and Lady Copperlocks I do need to get down to Wallace to see if he will be up for the pub crawl as well, but a little lunch here is welcome. I’ll save my drink for there if you don’t mind.
Twilliam turns to the rest of his company (you all) if this is where we part I do hope you’ll catch my show tomorrow night at the slapping line. he turns back to Lady and Lankus I’ll have what’s she’s having. Unless it’s goat very much can’t stomach goat he winks.
OOC:
He will enter the pub. With more enthusiasm is someone from the company joins him.
CavernTavern sent a note to WhtKnt
Oct 7, 2019 12:24 am
OOC:
The Snapping Line is number 13 on the map.
Oct 7, 2019 8:23 am
Dorsa takes in the sights as she walks. She has an almost photographic memory and remembers names and faces very well. She adjusts the weight of her weapons and her backpack a little bit to make it easier to walk.
Oct 7, 2019 3:10 pm
I move around, trying to listen to conversations amongst the people, seeing if I can hear anything of interest.

Rolls

perceptio - (1d20+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Oct 7, 2019 3:38 pm
Twilliam (and anyone else in the tavern): The Wicker Goat is a two-story building with sleeping quarters on the top level. The interior is nice, though somewhat sparse, and the place is neat and clean. The food smells delicious, and your mouth begins to water as soon as you set foot inside. The female dwarf sits at your table. "So, what brings you to our little town?"

Dorsa: You walk briskly, but evenly towards the tower, which looms larger as you approach. Along the way, you pass a large building that appears to be a tannery (11). As you approach the tower, you can see that it is 60 feet in height, with a notice board out front. There are two notices on the board at current.

The first notice reads, "Explorers Wanted: Brave souls needed to explore Shaw Manor and investigate reports of haunting therein. A reward of 100 gp to each surviving member of such an expedition will be paid upon completion of the investigation and proof that the place is cleansed of spirits."

The other notices says, "Rescue! Bandits of the Dreadwood have captured one Ameri Lordquist. Her family is offering a reward of 200 gp to anyone who can return her safely. They will pay 50 gp for proof of her demise."

What are the rest of you doing?
Oct 7, 2019 4:18 pm
theeyetyrant says:
I move around, trying to listen to conversations amongst the people, seeing if I can hear anything of interest.
Most of what you overhear is talk of the recent catch, but one piece of information does catch your ear. "I heard that Eliander is looking for brave souls to explore the old manor house. Wouldn't catch me going in there for a million gold pieces. I heard about what happened to Dirk. They say it turned his hair permanently white!"
Oct 7, 2019 4:23 pm
Excuse me, I apologize for listening in, but I overheard you talk about a manor house? What happened in it? I ask the person.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.