The Haunted House (Marcellus)

load previous
Dec 29, 2019 3:32 am
As Marcellus opens the door, Katlynntaine takes a glance up the stairs. She does not ascend, merely looking around while the other room is investigated.
Dec 29, 2019 3:32 am
OOC:
Yes, rolls may be made here. For things about which you have no idea, I will be making private rolls.
The door creaks open to reveal a room that displays the effects of damp and decay more than most. Mold grows in patches on the floor, walls, and ceiling. A large copper cask, split, discolored and empty, stands under the window, with a small heap of crockery shards on the floor beside it. Stairs lead down into what is presumably a cellar.
Dec 29, 2019 3:35 am
The stairs upward seem to lead to the second story of the house. The stairs seem sturdy, though several treads are missing and the banister railing is broken in places.
Dec 29, 2019 3:40 am
I use prestidigitation to clean the room. Unnecessarily disgusting. I mumble.
Dec 29, 2019 4:28 am
From what he had gathered up to this point these two appeared to be fairly safe cohorts but interestingly neither of them were interested in finding out much about each other and while he already knew a few things about them it was best to get it all on the table before something happened that would require them working as a team. "Well, I suppose I will start. I am Keung-Ru and my talents are aimed at scouting..." he glances at the mage then finishes with, "in a safer manner than what you just did." He motions towards the door that the mage had just opened. "Not to say," he holds is hands up in a defensive gesture, "that I have anything against it but in my experience just opening a door like you just did could have had some unsuspecting and at times down right nasty surprises. Next I would also suggest that we share a little bit about each other," he gestures his hands to indicate both the mage and the dwarf, "prior to us needing to actually depend upon one another."
Last edited December 29, 2019 4:32 am
Dec 29, 2019 4:50 pm
With a wave of Marcellus' hand, the room is clean and tidy.
Dec 29, 2019 5:03 pm
Marcellus De Artigan of the Artigan family shippers. My skills lie in the arcane, as you can tell. I also have my family’s name I can call upon on the occasion. I look down the stairs. Well, scout. Show us what you’ve got.
Dec 29, 2019 5:51 pm
"Katlynntaine," says the dwarf, briefly tearing her eyes away from the upper level. "I'll spare you the formal dwarven introductions and just say that I'm a priest of Moradin, here to find that library."
Dec 29, 2019 8:27 pm
As Marcellus approaches the stairs, hideous screams of a soul in torment rise from the cellar below.
OOC:
Everyone gives me a Wisdom saving throw, please.
Dec 29, 2019 9:05 pm
I cover my ears.

Rolls

Wisdom - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Dec 29, 2019 9:10 pm
Not having approached the stairs yet but upon hearing the sound, he immediately thinks to himself, 'Okay that does not sound or bode well.' Seeing Marcellus cover his hears he does like wise and glances to Katlynntaine making sure she sees what they are doing.
Last edited December 29, 2019 9:13 pm

Rolls

Wisdom Check - (1d20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

Dec 30, 2019 7:15 am
Katlynntaine whirls at the sound, wondering if Marcellus or Keung-Ru stepped on a nail.

Rolls

Wisdom Save - (1d20+6)

(3) + 6 = 9

Dec 30, 2019 8:47 pm
Katlynntaine is frightened by the sound and suffers disadvantage on all attack rolls and ability checks until further notice. You may try the save again every 15 minutes. The screaming soon stops.
Dec 30, 2019 8:51 pm
"Who's there?!" barks Katlynntaine, shouting down the stairs. Her shield is in her tight grip, her other hand hovering over her warhammer.
Dec 30, 2019 9:13 pm
No response seems forthcoming.
Dec 30, 2019 9:16 pm
Keung-Ru watches a bit surprised as Katlynntaine walks by him and over to the top of the stairs going down and then yells down the stairs, 'Well so much for subtlety, if they were unsure we were up here they definitely know for sure now.' Still before either of his more rather gung-ho compatriots go storming down the stairs Keung-Ru moves over to the top of those stairs holding up a finger indicating that the two of them should wait for a bit. Then putting that finger to his lips, he indicates they ought to remain quiet as well.

Then he turns and looks down the stairway if he sees nothing screaming dangerous he will cautiously proceed down the steps making sure to place his feet to the outer most edge of the stairs closest to the wall as this would provide the sturdiest footing in case any of the boards had rotted. If either Katlynntaine or Marcellus begin to follow he will try to wave them to halt.

As he progresses he is searching for anything amiss and to make sure the stairs were capable of actually holding the bulk that is Katlynntaine
Last edited December 30, 2019 9:21 pm
Dec 30, 2019 10:10 pm
You descend into the darkened cellar. Shoulder-height wooden bottle racks line the north and west walls here. There appear to be no intact bottles left in the racks and shattered bottles cover the floor.

Against the east wall, at the foot of the stairs, rest two large metal storage bins that appear to be empty.

In the center of the room lies a human corpse clad in plate mail; a longsword lies by the corpse's right side, and a large shield covers its legs.

The stairs seem sturdy enough.
Dec 30, 2019 10:29 pm
As I descend the stairs, I’m casting prestidigitation cleaning up along the way.
Dec 31, 2019 12:21 am
Having indicated that the stairs were safe Keung-Ru waits for the others to descend before doing anything else.
Dec 31, 2019 1:00 am
"After you," says Katlynntaine, gesturing for Keung-Ru to go first.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.