OOC thread

load previous
Jan 23, 2020 3:37 am
Sigh more reading... lol

Since this is all new let's add in all we can and see what works.

Group so far:
Wizard
Thief
Ranger

good start
Jan 23, 2020 3:43 am
Some good stuff in there, think I might go with Holy Mage to add some more utility to my casting. Not 100% tho. The fighting mage has a cool Gandalf-ish feel to it but sacrificing spells seems rough...

Are we doing levels by XP points or landmarks?
Jan 23, 2020 3:52 am
Well, I might have jumped the gun here... That's if the GM is going to allow us to place our rolled attributes wherever... If we have to stick to the original then it is just straight down... I would need to reconfigure.

ATTRIBUTES
STR: 11
INT: 11
WIS: 10
DEX: 15 [+1]
CON: 7 [-1]
CHA: 13 [+1]

STR: 11
INT: 7 [-1]
WIS: 10
DEX: 15 [+1]
CON: 11
CHA: 13 [+1]
Last edited January 23, 2020 8:32 pm
Jan 23, 2020 4:01 am
Oh man, it gets worse... you've only got 3 TOTAL hit dice at 3rd level, that's 3d4-3 in total. You roll 1d4-1 each level, I wish it worked your way tho!

You probably definitely wanna put that 7 in intelligence instead. The DM mentioned that we could place the attributes however we wanted in the game post.

Also, we may start with max hp at 1st level... dm?
Last edited January 23, 2020 4:04 am
Jan 23, 2020 4:08 am
So hard rolling just 3d6 so placing stats were you wish should help a bit. We will roll up other characters different ways to sees how things workout.

I was thinking milestones for XP. To help me out a bit. I get to break the game down into parts and go friom there.
Jan 23, 2020 4:09 am
dominion451 says:
Oh man, it gets worse... you've only got 3 TOTAL hit dice at 3rd level, that's 3d4-3 in total. You roll 1d4-1 each level, I wish it worked your way tho!

You probably definitely wanna put that 7 in intelligence instead. The DM mentioned that we could place the attributes however we wanted in the game post.

Also, we may start with max hp at 1st level... dm?
Oh gee! You’re right! I’ll fix that ASAP. Yikes? Don’t hit me!? Lol
Jan 23, 2020 4:27 am
Yep not a front line fighter this poor guy lol.

No max HP at 1st for the first character maybe character number 2 or 3 - will look into it.
Jan 23, 2020 6:06 am
Yowza, ok then, here goes...

Rolls

HP - (3d4)

(312) = 6

Jan 23, 2020 6:07 am
I thought I read in the rules that hp always had to be a minimum of 1 so rolling a 1 with a -1 penalty would still equal 1.

I have a problem with something else. I was under the impression that we were keeping this game simple, that's why we're doing the basic ruleset. Having us come from various unusual planes is way beyond what I consider simple.

Since we would be starting at level 3 I can play a Cleric without too much of a problem. I'll play around with my numbers and see what a Cleric look like.
Jan 23, 2020 6:08 am
A_True_Believer says:

Oh gee! You’re right! I’ll fix that ASAP. Yikes? Don’t hit me!? Lol
lol, believe me, I wish I were wrong
Last edited January 23, 2020 6:08 am
Jan 23, 2020 6:11 am
It isn't simple for the backgrounds getting the group together, but should be ok for making a character you wish to play. Here's hoping everyone comes from the same or close to the same plane.
Jan 23, 2020 12:09 pm
Aldrusian says:
I thought I read in the rules that hp always had to be a minimum of 1 so rolling a 1 with a -1 penalty would still equal 1.

I have a problem with something else. I was under the impression that we were keeping this game simple, that's why we're doing the basic ruleset. Having us come from various unusual planes is way beyond what I consider simple.

Since we would be starting at level 3 I can play a Cleric without too much of a problem. I'll play around with my numbers and see what a Cleric look like.
Agreed. We def should be from the same... plane.. Are we going with like the Curse of Strahd type deal..? I mean, I'm thinking of doing a Halfling Thief, so I should be able to wing that just about anywhere.
Jan 23, 2020 12:13 pm
Hit Points and Hit Dice

When a character is injured, he or she loses hit points
from his or her current total. Note that this does not
change the figure rolled, but rather reduces the current
total; healing will restore hit points, up to but not
exceeding the rolled figure.
When his or her hit point total reaches 0, your character
may be dead. This may not be the end for the
character; don't tear up the character sheet.

First level characters begin play with a single hit die of
the given type, plus the Constitution bonus or penalty,
with a minimum of 1 hit point. Each time a character
gains a level, the player should roll another hit die and
add the character's Constitution bonus or penalty, with
the result again being a minimum of 1 point. Add this
amount to the character's maximum hit points figure.
Note that, after 9th level, characters receive a fixed
number of hit points each level, as shown in the
advancement table for the class, and no longer add the
Constitution bonus or penalty.

So I suppose that is correct... That's from the core rules on Hit Dice. Is that an OSR type thing? Maybe it is the way I interpreted it...I was thinking you would apply the Constitution bonus to the total for that level. Hence the 1d4 -1, 2d4 - 1 and so on. But, I see too where dominion's point about applying the Constitution to each level could an interpretation. So, 1d4-1, 2d4-2.....

Hmmmm.
Jan 23, 2020 12:18 pm
I have been working on how to start you all in the same area, fresh out of the mist and all. Shouldn't be to difficult if you run into an NPC to explain what is going on with the lands of Barovia.
Jan 23, 2020 12:27 pm
Yes you add/subtract the modifier at each lvl. Minimum of 1 hp per level. Shouldn't have a ton as a good sword hit or fireball spell should have you down and out.
Jan 23, 2020 12:28 pm
Yeah. It's a deadly game. Love it. lol
Jan 23, 2020 3:42 pm
dominion451 says:
It's a modified version of Basic D&D (BECMI) called Basic Fantasy RPG and unfortunately there aren't rangers :( only fighters, clerics, thieves, and wizards.

You could make a fighter, put your best stat in Dex, and focus on archery... just a thought
LOL.. Obviously I didn't get that far in the PDF.. going to work on it at lunch today. But NO Ranger????? I don't think I have heard such a crazy thing. :( But, all good.. I'm sure I will manage. :)

EDITING: I guess I should have finished the whole thread before replying. I'll check out the supplemental PDF's and find a Ranger if they have one. If not, I'll pick something else. I got lots going on here at work today, but I plan to have my character done during lunch (I usually have much more time, but I have to build a stupid application to support a one time per year process that they waited until the last minute to even tell me about.. SMH!).
Last edited January 23, 2020 3:51 pm
Jan 23, 2020 3:56 pm
A_True_Believer says:
Is that an OSR type thing? Maybe it is the way I interpreted it...I was thinking you would apply the Constitution bonus to the total for that level. Hence the 1d4 -1, 2d4 - 1 and so on. But, I see too where dominion's point about applying the Constitution to each level could an interpretation. So, 1d4-1, 2d4-2.....

Hmmmm.
In all versions of D&D, AD&D, and pretty much every rpg I've ever played it's always the same, you roll one of your size hit dice each level and add/subtract con bonus/penalty. So at 1st level you roll 1d4, then at second level you roll 1d4 and add it to the total, then again at 3rd and so on. So to make a 3rd level character you would start with 3 hit dice; i.e. 3d4 +/- con for each level.
Jan 23, 2020 3:58 pm
dominion451 says:
A_True_Believer says:
Is that an OSR type thing? Maybe it is the way I interpreted it...I was thinking you would apply the Constitution bonus to the total for that level. Hence the 1d4 -1, 2d4 - 1 and so on. But, I see too where dominion's point about applying the Constitution to each level could an interpretation. So, 1d4-1, 2d4-2.....

Hmmmm.
In all versions of D&D, AD&D, and pretty much every rpg I've ever played it's always the same, you roll one of your size hit dice each level and add/subtract con bonus/penalty. So at 1st level you roll 1d4, then at second level you roll 1d4 and add it to the total, then again at 3rd and so on. So to make a 3rd level character you would start with 3 hit dice; i.e. 3d4 +/- con for each level.
Ok. I follow! Thanks! :)
Jan 23, 2020 4:01 pm
Anytime :)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.