OOC thread

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 21, 2020 5:46 am
So here we can start to build a party and what not.
Jan 22, 2020 3:05 am
Hi. Just letting you know I'm on board. Let me know if there is anyway I can help or whanot. :)
Jan 22, 2020 3:23 am
Great first thing is probably character sheets. I will paste in what we used in 1e/BECMI and see if you can clean it up for me THANKS

Everyone could roll their stats here if they wish also.

Name:
Alignment:
Class:
Race:
Level:
Armor Class:
Hit Points:

ABILITIES
Strength:
Intelligence:
Wisdom:
Dexterity:
Constitution:
Charisma:

SAVING THROWS
Paralzation/Poison/Death Magic
Petrification/Polymorph
Rods/Staves/Wands
Breath Weapon
Spells

Languages:
Special Skills:

EQUIPMENT CARRIED
Normal Items:
Magic Items:
PP: GP: EP: SP: CP:
Gems: Total Value:

Experience:
Bonus/Penalty:
Needed for Next Level:

BACKGROUND
Jan 22, 2020 3:41 am
Here is a direct link to a "fillable" character sheet for BFRPG.

Fillable Character Sheet
Jan 22, 2020 3:43 am
It's one of the more pleasing "fillable" layouts. IMO
Jan 22, 2020 4:21 am
Will we be able to use it on the forum here?
Jan 22, 2020 4:33 am
Sure. We could each fill out one and post it via a shared drive like Google Drive? Or we could just fill out the info in a thread. Whatever works best for everyone, or maybe they have another solution. Maybe need to be something that can be updated?
Jan 22, 2020 5:00 am
I would just as soon not use a separate site for my characters. I already have way too many places to go. It's hard enough just to pay my monthly bills online. Also, should we start with rolling up character stats here or will there be another, separate thread for that?
Jan 22, 2020 5:27 am
You can roll them up in this thread. And up to the player what sheet they use so long as I have a way to refrence a copy when designing encounters and such.
Jan 22, 2020 6:38 am
All of my characters are on this site and all are open for everyone in the game to view. I will probably want to wait to decide what character type to play until after we decide what sort of game we're playing. If we'll be spending most of our time trekking through a swamp, I probably would not want to play a dwarf. If we're investigatng ruined temples, I may want to play a Cleric. If we're spending a lot of time in forests it may be a ranger. I'll roll the stats here and now just to see what I have to work with although I don't expect much rolling only 3d6. But I can still remember when I first started playing AD&D 42 years ago that was the way it was done.
OOC:
Well, not likely a ranger or a fighter of any kind. A cleric or a rogue or a weak fighter may work. Also, if I remember correctly there is no bonus for dwarves or elves.
Last edited January 22, 2020 7:08 pm

Rolls

Ability stats - (3d6, 3d6, 3d6, 3d6, 3d6, 3d6)

3d6 : (222) = 6

3d6 : (333) = 9

3d6 : (243) = 9

3d6 : (655) = 16

3d6 : (352) = 10

3d6 : (442) = 10

Jan 22, 2020 12:07 pm
Aldrusian says:
I would just as soon not use a separate site for my characters. I already have way too many places to go. It's hard enough just to pay my monthly bills online. Also, should we start with rolling up character stats here or will there be another, separate thread for that?
True enough.
Jan 22, 2020 12:08 pm
Here are my initial rolls for stats.

Rolls

Attribute Rolls - (3d6, 3d6, 3d6, 3d6, 3d6, 3d6)

3d6 : (654) = 15

3d6 : (254) = 11

3d6 : (344) = 11

3d6 : (454) = 13

3d6 : (262) = 10

3d6 : (142) = 7

Jan 22, 2020 1:06 pm
Hey all! I have the PDF's.. as soon as I get to work I'll start rolling up a char.
Jan 22, 2020 2:34 pm
3d6 - ( 3, 2, 2 ) = 7

3d6 - ( 4, 1, 5 ) = 10

3d6 - ( 1, 3, 6 ) = 10

3d6 - ( 6, 1, 6 ) = 13

3d6 - ( 3, 5, 2 ) = 10

3d6 - ( 2, 3, 6 ) = 11
Jan 22, 2020 3:06 pm
And what of the adventure? You can decide on it here as well.
Jan 22, 2020 3:13 pm
I’m not familiar with any of them!! Haha. So I suppose that’s fun for me. I’m down for whatever.
Jan 22, 2020 3:18 pm
How about the Curse of Strahd..? I've heard about it a bit, but I have not played any of the ones you listed on your previous thread.
Jan 22, 2020 4:06 pm
Fingers crossed...

Rolls

Attributes - (3d6)

(333) = 9

Attributes - (3d6)

(454) = 13

Attributes - (3d6)

(564) = 15

Attributes - (3d6)

(135) = 9

Attributes - (3d6)

(614) = 11

Attributes - (3d6)

(434) = 11

Jan 22, 2020 4:13 pm
Wow, I gotta say everyone who's rolled on this thread so far has been EXTREMELY lucky with the 3d6 model. Usually there are some bummer rolls!

Any chance we could start this game at 3rd level instead of 1st? It's just that most games on here want to start at 1st and I end up spending years nursing a bunch of baby characters between all the games I'm involved in. Of course I'm just happy to play so any level is fine but I thought I'd ask.
Jan 22, 2020 4:15 pm
Also dibs on wizard.
Jan 22, 2020 5:03 pm
3rd lvl now there is an ideal. You could be established adventurers or even a troupe.
Jan 22, 2020 5:15 pm
Love it. Local small town heros make good. Let you dig into some more complex adventure material as well.
Jan 22, 2020 5:25 pm
I’m down with it. Let me know if you need any supplement suggestions
Jan 22, 2020 5:30 pm
dibs on the Fighter. Straight up - Fighter. :)
Last edited January 22, 2020 7:03 pm
Jan 22, 2020 5:55 pm
Thinking maybe I'll be an elven wizard if we are using the BFRPG version of BECMI. Gives me a bit more utility what with infravision and secret door detection...
Str 9
Dex 13
Con 9
Int 15
Wis 11
Cha 11
Jan 22, 2020 7:03 pm
MIND Change - how about me... a Thief instead! :D
Jan 22, 2020 7:04 pm
Every party needs a good thief ;)
Jan 22, 2020 7:20 pm
Curse of Strahd is one of the best rated modules of all time, often number 1. I also like Out of the Abyss as it starts play in the Underdark which is full of cool environments and monsters, a major deviation from the usual above ground play.
Jan 22, 2020 9:21 pm
Man, this BFRPG system really helps the thief class out by allowing demihumans to pick their classes (unlike regular becmi). A dwarven thief would not only have infravision but also a double chance to find traps in dungeon corridors due to the dwarfs innate ability to do so.

As a human thief in regular becmi I always have the problem that since I cant see in the dark I am either sneaking around blind or carrying a torch/candle/lantern... all of which give away my position!
Jan 22, 2020 11:01 pm
Yasss. Lol. I’m really digging BFRPG
Jan 22, 2020 11:21 pm
Ok then since Strahd wants heroes to help "save him" a little reknown wouldn't hurt.

Let's say for this so I can start some prep is:
Adventure - Curse of Strahd
Starting Level: 3rd

Now to see if there is a player's guide.
Jan 22, 2020 11:47 pm
Oh boy, dark days ahead! The demiplane of terror never disappoints...
Jan 22, 2020 11:57 pm
Not yet for me either, I have found no player's guide but dozens of supplements and adventure ideals.

So I guess you need to decide if your character is a native of Barovia or from some other D&D plane.
Jan 23, 2020 12:41 am
I was thinking of maybe being an outcast Vistani... but it might be better for group cohesion if we all got sucked into the plane together as outsiders.
Jan 23, 2020 12:43 am
Doesn't matter to me what level we start with as long as I can do the levels right. BTW.. I call Ranger
Jan 23, 2020 1:29 am
It's a modified version of Basic D&D (BECMI) called Basic Fantasy RPG and unfortunately there aren't rangers :( only fighters, clerics, thieves, and wizards.

You could make a fighter, put your best stat in Dex, and focus on archery... just a thought
Jan 23, 2020 1:31 am
OR, maybe even more on point, you could make an elf fighter/thief so you get that mix of martial ability and stealth that the ranger champions...
Jan 23, 2020 2:06 am
There are loads of supplemental classes/races available! It just depends on if the GM wants to allow any of them.

Rangers & Paladins

Basic Class Focuses

The basic class focuses is really cool without dumping loads of other classes into the mix but adds enough balanced variety.
Jan 23, 2020 3:14 am
Oh what? Game changer! I only have the core manual, with the basic 4 classes. I've got some reading to do ;)
Jan 23, 2020 3:18 am
yasss, loads of pdfs on there. great content.
Jan 23, 2020 3:37 am
Sigh more reading... lol

Since this is all new let's add in all we can and see what works.

Group so far:
Wizard
Thief
Ranger

good start
Jan 23, 2020 3:43 am
Some good stuff in there, think I might go with Holy Mage to add some more utility to my casting. Not 100% tho. The fighting mage has a cool Gandalf-ish feel to it but sacrificing spells seems rough...

Are we doing levels by XP points or landmarks?
Jan 23, 2020 3:52 am
Well, I might have jumped the gun here... That's if the GM is going to allow us to place our rolled attributes wherever... If we have to stick to the original then it is just straight down... I would need to reconfigure.

ATTRIBUTES
STR: 11
INT: 11
WIS: 10
DEX: 15 [+1]
CON: 7 [-1]
CHA: 13 [+1]

STR: 11
INT: 7 [-1]
WIS: 10
DEX: 15 [+1]
CON: 11
CHA: 13 [+1]
Last edited January 23, 2020 8:32 pm
Jan 23, 2020 4:01 am
Oh man, it gets worse... you've only got 3 TOTAL hit dice at 3rd level, that's 3d4-3 in total. You roll 1d4-1 each level, I wish it worked your way tho!

You probably definitely wanna put that 7 in intelligence instead. The DM mentioned that we could place the attributes however we wanted in the game post.

Also, we may start with max hp at 1st level... dm?
Last edited January 23, 2020 4:04 am
Jan 23, 2020 4:08 am
So hard rolling just 3d6 so placing stats were you wish should help a bit. We will roll up other characters different ways to sees how things workout.

I was thinking milestones for XP. To help me out a bit. I get to break the game down into parts and go friom there.
Jan 23, 2020 4:09 am
dominion451 says:
Oh man, it gets worse... you've only got 3 TOTAL hit dice at 3rd level, that's 3d4-3 in total. You roll 1d4-1 each level, I wish it worked your way tho!

You probably definitely wanna put that 7 in intelligence instead. The DM mentioned that we could place the attributes however we wanted in the game post.

Also, we may start with max hp at 1st level... dm?
Oh gee! You’re right! I’ll fix that ASAP. Yikes? Don’t hit me!? Lol
Jan 23, 2020 4:27 am
Yep not a front line fighter this poor guy lol.

No max HP at 1st for the first character maybe character number 2 or 3 - will look into it.
Jan 23, 2020 6:06 am
Yowza, ok then, here goes...

Rolls

HP - (3d4)

(312) = 6

Jan 23, 2020 6:07 am
I thought I read in the rules that hp always had to be a minimum of 1 so rolling a 1 with a -1 penalty would still equal 1.

I have a problem with something else. I was under the impression that we were keeping this game simple, that's why we're doing the basic ruleset. Having us come from various unusual planes is way beyond what I consider simple.

Since we would be starting at level 3 I can play a Cleric without too much of a problem. I'll play around with my numbers and see what a Cleric look like.
Jan 23, 2020 6:08 am
A_True_Believer says:

Oh gee! You’re right! I’ll fix that ASAP. Yikes? Don’t hit me!? Lol
lol, believe me, I wish I were wrong
Last edited January 23, 2020 6:08 am
Jan 23, 2020 6:11 am
It isn't simple for the backgrounds getting the group together, but should be ok for making a character you wish to play. Here's hoping everyone comes from the same or close to the same plane.
Jan 23, 2020 12:09 pm
Aldrusian says:
I thought I read in the rules that hp always had to be a minimum of 1 so rolling a 1 with a -1 penalty would still equal 1.

I have a problem with something else. I was under the impression that we were keeping this game simple, that's why we're doing the basic ruleset. Having us come from various unusual planes is way beyond what I consider simple.

Since we would be starting at level 3 I can play a Cleric without too much of a problem. I'll play around with my numbers and see what a Cleric look like.
Agreed. We def should be from the same... plane.. Are we going with like the Curse of Strahd type deal..? I mean, I'm thinking of doing a Halfling Thief, so I should be able to wing that just about anywhere.
Jan 23, 2020 12:13 pm
Hit Points and Hit Dice

When a character is injured, he or she loses hit points
from his or her current total. Note that this does not
change the figure rolled, but rather reduces the current
total; healing will restore hit points, up to but not
exceeding the rolled figure.
When his or her hit point total reaches 0, your character
may be dead. This may not be the end for the
character; don't tear up the character sheet.

First level characters begin play with a single hit die of
the given type, plus the Constitution bonus or penalty,
with a minimum of 1 hit point. Each time a character
gains a level, the player should roll another hit die and
add the character's Constitution bonus or penalty, with
the result again being a minimum of 1 point. Add this
amount to the character's maximum hit points figure.
Note that, after 9th level, characters receive a fixed
number of hit points each level, as shown in the
advancement table for the class, and no longer add the
Constitution bonus or penalty.

So I suppose that is correct... That's from the core rules on Hit Dice. Is that an OSR type thing? Maybe it is the way I interpreted it...I was thinking you would apply the Constitution bonus to the total for that level. Hence the 1d4 -1, 2d4 - 1 and so on. But, I see too where dominion's point about applying the Constitution to each level could an interpretation. So, 1d4-1, 2d4-2.....

Hmmmm.
Jan 23, 2020 12:18 pm
I have been working on how to start you all in the same area, fresh out of the mist and all. Shouldn't be to difficult if you run into an NPC to explain what is going on with the lands of Barovia.
Jan 23, 2020 12:27 pm
Yes you add/subtract the modifier at each lvl. Minimum of 1 hp per level. Shouldn't have a ton as a good sword hit or fireball spell should have you down and out.
Jan 23, 2020 12:28 pm
Yeah. It's a deadly game. Love it. lol
Jan 23, 2020 3:42 pm
dominion451 says:
It's a modified version of Basic D&D (BECMI) called Basic Fantasy RPG and unfortunately there aren't rangers :( only fighters, clerics, thieves, and wizards.

You could make a fighter, put your best stat in Dex, and focus on archery... just a thought
LOL.. Obviously I didn't get that far in the PDF.. going to work on it at lunch today. But NO Ranger????? I don't think I have heard such a crazy thing. :( But, all good.. I'm sure I will manage. :)

EDITING: I guess I should have finished the whole thread before replying. I'll check out the supplemental PDF's and find a Ranger if they have one. If not, I'll pick something else. I got lots going on here at work today, but I plan to have my character done during lunch (I usually have much more time, but I have to build a stupid application to support a one time per year process that they waited until the last minute to even tell me about.. SMH!).
Last edited January 23, 2020 3:51 pm
Jan 23, 2020 3:56 pm
A_True_Believer says:
Is that an OSR type thing? Maybe it is the way I interpreted it...I was thinking you would apply the Constitution bonus to the total for that level. Hence the 1d4 -1, 2d4 - 1 and so on. But, I see too where dominion's point about applying the Constitution to each level could an interpretation. So, 1d4-1, 2d4-2.....

Hmmmm.
In all versions of D&D, AD&D, and pretty much every rpg I've ever played it's always the same, you roll one of your size hit dice each level and add/subtract con bonus/penalty. So at 1st level you roll 1d4, then at second level you roll 1d4 and add it to the total, then again at 3rd and so on. So to make a 3rd level character you would start with 3 hit dice; i.e. 3d4 +/- con for each level.
Jan 23, 2020 3:58 pm
dominion451 says:
A_True_Believer says:
Is that an OSR type thing? Maybe it is the way I interpreted it...I was thinking you would apply the Constitution bonus to the total for that level. Hence the 1d4 -1, 2d4 - 1 and so on. But, I see too where dominion's point about applying the Constitution to each level could an interpretation. So, 1d4-1, 2d4-2.....

Hmmmm.
In all versions of D&D, AD&D, and pretty much every rpg I've ever played it's always the same, you roll one of your size hit dice each level and add/subtract con bonus/penalty. So at 1st level you roll 1d4, then at second level you roll 1d4 and add it to the total, then again at 3rd and so on. So to make a 3rd level character you would start with 3 hit dice; i.e. 3d4 +/- con for each level.
Ok. I follow! Thanks! :)
Jan 23, 2020 4:01 pm
Anytime :)
Jan 23, 2020 4:03 pm
dominion451 says:
Anytime :)
When I read this I heard it in my head as the Predator (from the original Predator movie) when he was mimicking Mac's voice. :) haha
Jan 23, 2020 4:07 pm
Lol, I can picture it perfectly hahaha
Jan 23, 2020 6:47 pm
Every time I read something here about HD, it comes out sounding different. Here's my take on it. My character gets d6 HD. Starting him at third level allows me to roll 3d6 period. I don't get any bonus or penalty but if I did get a bonus of 1 from Constitution it would be 3d6+3. So the range of HP for my character with no bonuses will be 3-18.
Jan 23, 2020 8:06 pm
You got it. Sorry about my confusions! lol
Jan 23, 2020 9:02 pm
Ok, just a quick clarification.. are all supplemental PDF's useable from the BasicFantasy.org site? I saw that there were additional races, etc.. so was just checking.
Last edited January 23, 2020 9:02 pm
Jan 23, 2020 11:08 pm
OK, so here are my HP rolls.

Rolls

Cleric HP - (3d6)

(516) = 12

Jan 24, 2020 12:36 am
kbranden says:
Ok, just a quick clarification.. are all supplemental PDF's useable from the BasicFantasy.org site? I saw that there were additional races, etc.. so was just checking.
Sure try them out, if you want.
Jan 24, 2020 1:55 am
I'm Building my Ranger and have a question DM. the Ranger Supplement mentions that if the DM allows instead of following the chart with static values for your abilities, the GM can allow the thief (as well as the ranger) to actually allocate these scores however they wish, but not exceeding 10 points per ability per level. So, for instance a Ranger 3rd level would have 10 more ability points in each of his Move Silently, Hide and Tracking via the chart. But as a more customizable way of doing it, you can make where the Rangers gain 14 points per level from 2nd to 9th levels, 9 points per level from 10th to 15th levels, and 4 points per level thereafter and you can raise any ability however you want with a max of 10 points. This seems to just allow for more control over your abilities. Is this something you would allow? Or would rather me go just straight via the chart?

One other quick question, since we are starting out at 3rd level, how much GP should we start with? The rulebook just says '3d6 x
10 gp (unless the GM decides otherwise)." But, I couldn't find anything about starting out at a different level. Should we just go with 3d6?

Thanks.
Last edited January 24, 2020 2:16 am
Jan 24, 2020 2:48 am
Rolling for HP.

3d8

( 4, 1, 3 ) = 8

ugg.. that could have been better. lol
Jan 24, 2020 3:05 am
Is that right? I think on page 4 of the core book it says:

....Each time a character gains a level, the player should roll another hit die and add the character's Constitution bonus or penalty, with a minimum of 1 hit point. Add the amount to the character's maximum hit points figure.

The way I interpret this is to say that you get a roll at Level 1, then another roll at Level 2 (which is added to Level 1's result), and another at Level 3 (which is added to Level 1 and 2's combined result).
Jan 24, 2020 3:07 am
kbranden says:
Rolling for HP.

3d8

( 4, 1, 3 ) = 8

So, according to the Ranger supplement it would be

1d8 (Level 1)
+ 2d8 (Level 2)
+ 3d8 (Level 3)

= TOTAL HP for Level 3
Jan 24, 2020 3:11 am
Follow the supplement to start, and build your character up from there. We need to see how these things work to start.

Starting GP: roll your 3d6 and purchase gear. Then after I see some backgrounds I will add in some gp/equipment/minor magics to each of you seperately. I was already thinking of handing out potions and mastercrafted style armors and weapons to characters.
Jan 24, 2020 3:22 am
A_True_Believer says:
kbranden says:
Rolling for HP.

3d8

( 4, 1, 3 ) = 8

So, according to the Ranger supplement it would be

1d8 (Level 1)
+ 2d8 (Level 2)
+ 3d8 (Level 3)

= TOTAL HP for Level 3
I'm not sure that is correct, your hit die is just a single die. In my case 1d8, so you add an additional 1d8 for each level. That's how I interpret it. That column shows the total hit dice for that level. I might be mistaken, but I thought I also remembered it being that way back in the day as well. I'll see if I can find more information. I do see where your coming from so I'll make sure. GM?
Jan 24, 2020 3:33 am
Yeah, from what I am reading, you just roll another Hit die and add it to your HP. If you keep adding them up like your suggesting each level, you would end up having a MASSIVE amount of HP by 20th level potentially. Wiki also has a good read on how Hit Dice are used via all the systems AD&D 1e seems to parallel this method.

But, also remember, if you start out at level 3, your roll your Hit Dice that many times and add your Con Bonus 3 times as well. (One for each HD added)

Also, after the 9th level, you just add the 'constant number' EDited: with NO con bonus actually.
Last edited January 24, 2020 3:40 am
Jan 24, 2020 3:46 am
Rolling for GOLD!!! Come on..

3d6

( 3, 1, 3 ) = 7

Really?? so, I get 70 gold.. haha.. at least this Ranger can afford a bow!
Jan 24, 2020 4:25 am
What IS the starting gold rule here? 3d6x10 is for level 1, what would we have by 3rd? Money AND item wise? Any magic items? +1 shield or sword maybe?
Jan 24, 2020 4:33 am
Here is my Starting Character... please GM look over it and make sure it is correct.

http://www.anglerstats.com/chars/ecek.pdf
Picture: http://www.anglerstats.com/chars/ecek.jpg

Dominion, I think he said just start out with 3d6 x 10gp and he might add stuff to us. I asked the same question. :)
Last edited January 24, 2020 5:06 am
Jan 24, 2020 4:58 am
Ahh, got it. Sounds good ;)

Gold time...
Last edited January 24, 2020 5:01 am

Rolls

Gold x10 - (3d6)

(316) = 10

Jan 24, 2020 5:11 am
I'm really liking the nostalgia of the ruleset. Reminds me of sitting in the library at school in 6th grade back playing the old Basic D&D with friends. Sometimes I feel like the progression in rules being so chart/calculation oriented works against the imaginary aspect of what RPG's started out with. There's a reason for that old saying 'keep it simple, stupid'. Not knocking any rulesets because I tend to enjoy them all but I'm pretty excited to see how this game goes.
Jan 24, 2020 5:22 am
I like reliving the old school stuff too. I remember reading the solo adventure in the Red Basic Book and seeing all of the action in my head and I was hooked.
Jan 24, 2020 5:24 am
I have to fix my character.. I forgot ARMOR!!! lol.. going to have to dump some stuff to get that 20gp I need now.. arrghh
Jan 24, 2020 5:32 am
checking on your character even now, love the pic btw. All you should worry about is your background and what you've done to now be lvl 3
Jan 24, 2020 5:35 am
CrossFire01 says:
checking on your character even now, love the pic btw. All you should worry about is your background and what you've done to now be lvl 3
Yeah, I didn't have much room to write something up on it.. I'll write it on a different page more detailed.
Jan 24, 2020 5:44 am
What about attribute point exchange? The 2 for 1 method ike in BECMI? Its mentioned in the bfrpg core rule book as an option the DM may allow.
Jan 24, 2020 6:10 am
Let's save that for the 2nd/3rd characters give the players more of a build to. Even though I will change the stat rolls. These first characters wish to keep as close to normal as possible and see how it goes.
Jan 24, 2020 6:16 am
Right on. Earlier you mentioned being able to use the rules supplements from basicfantasy.org, one of the supplements for mages is the inclusion of cantrips as 0 level spells. Can I use this?
Jan 24, 2020 6:17 am
@kbranden I see the following from your first sheet:

- Atk bonus should be +1; it will be +2 for ranged(daggers/spears) +4 for short or longbow, which is very ranger like
- I don't see ranger saving throws or if they are to use an existing chart. I think they should use the thief saves and paladins might use cleric saves. not sure still looking/reading into it. For now use the thief chart. We will use the allocating of points for moving silently and hide and such so please list how you spend them (sry for the extra work). And lastly you need a favored enemy.
Jan 24, 2020 6:41 am
Hmm.. well, I'm confused then. The Ranger Sup says that for all purposes to use everything from a fighter.
Quote:
"The new classes described in this supplement are considered subclasses of the Fighter. As such, they have the same
attack bonus and saving throws as Fighters of the same level.
pg 1 of Ranger Supplement

This would be a +2 to attack at level 3 using the fighter attack bonus. The +1 was the ranged bonus based on my dex.

NOW.. with that, I did forget something from the Rangers Sup.

"Rangers are always expert bowmen. When using any regular bow (shortbow or longbow, but not crossbow), a Ranger adds +2 to his or her Attack Bonus."

if I understand this correctly, I should have an Attack Bonus of +2 because of being a fighter, but whenever I use a shortbow, I get the +2 range bonus for being an expert bowmen as well as a +1 for my dex.

So, I would think it would be +2 generic attack bonus, Melee bonus +0, Range Bonus (+3) Note: i+3 is only if using a short or longbow only, otherwise my range is just a +1.

That would be..
Using a melee weapon: attack bonus +2 (because fighter 3 level) +0 no strangth bonus = +2
Using a ranged weapon that is not a short or longbow (+2 attack bonus and +1 dex bonus) = +3
Using a short or longbow (+2 attack bonus for fighter 3 level), +2 for expert bowman, +1 for dex = +5.

What am I missing?

Oh, and my Chosen Enemy is on my char sheet as Orc. I get +3 damage against them I believe.
Last edited January 24, 2020 7:10 am
Jan 24, 2020 6:45 am
God I feel like I'm talking too much but I'd also like to ask about the necromancer class supplement, seeing as how we are doing Curse of Strahd it seems like it might be very on theme and gothic-horror cool. Like maybe an exiled female elven necromancer; cast out from her people for working forbidden magics or something.
Jan 24, 2020 6:58 am
CrossFire01 says:
@kbranden I see the following from your first sheet:

We will use the allocating of points for moving silently and hide and such so please list how you spend them (sry for the extra work). And lastly you need a favored enemy.
Ahh.. ok, I have them on the sheet, but I just used the chart values. I will do allocation then. I thought I asked you about that and you said just use what's in the supplemental but maybe I misunderstood.
Jan 24, 2020 7:06 am
kbranden says:
Hmm.. well, I'm confused then. The Ranger Sup says that for all purposes to use everything from a fighter.

"The new classes described in this supplement are considered subclasses of the Fighter. As such, they have the same
attack bonus and saving throws as Fighters of the same level.

This would be a +2 to attack at level 3 using the fighter attack bonus. The +1 was the ranged bonus based on my dex.

NOW.. with that, I did forget something from the Rangers Sup.

"Rangers are always expert bowmen. When using any regular bow (shortbow or longbow, but not crossbow), a Ranger adds +2 to his or her Attack Bonus."

if I understand this correctly, I should have an Attack Bonus of +2 because of being a fighter, but whenever I use a shortbow, I get the +2 range bonus for being an expert bowmen as well as a +1 for my dex.

So, I would think it would be +2 generic attack bonus, Melee bonus +0, Range Bonus (+3) Note: i+3 is only if using a short or longbow only, otherwise my range is just a +1.

That would be..
Using a melee weapon: attack bonus +2 (because fighter 3 level) +0 no strangth bonus = +2
Using a ranged weapon that is not a short or longbow (+2 attack bonus and +1 dex bonus) = +3
Using a short or longbow (+2 attack bonus for fighter 3 level), +2 for expert bowman, +1 for dex = +5.

What am I missing?

Oh, and my Chosen Enemy is on my char sheet as Orc. I get +3 damage against them I believe.
Probably me missing things then. I may need another read through. Use the supplements over my bad judgement.
Jan 24, 2020 7:07 am
dominion451 says:
God I feel like I'm talking too much but I'd also like to ask about the necromancer class supplement, seeing as how we are doing Curse of Strahd it seems like it might be very on theme and gothic-horror cool. Like maybe an exiled female elven necromancer; cast out from her people for working forbidden magics or something.
You meta gamer you! lol
Jan 24, 2020 7:07 am
dominion451 says:
Right on. Earlier you mentioned being able to use the rules supplements from basicfantasy.org, one of the supplements for mages is the inclusion of cantrips as 0 level spells. Can I use this?
Use what you find just reference it for me so as I check up on it I know what to look at. Your elven necromancer sounds a great add in.
Jan 24, 2020 7:24 am
lol.. I started thinking. 'Wouldn't it be better for someone who just wants to be a fighter go ahead and choose ranger instead. Still put his high ability roll to strength for the melee bonus, but then carry and extra short bow for the range bonus. Then, I started looking at the 2 Ranger charts... Rangers level much slower. So, there is where they are trying to balance it somewhat.
Last edited January 24, 2020 7:27 am
Jan 24, 2020 12:17 pm
kbranden says:
Yeah, from what I am reading, you just roll another Hit die and add it to your HP. If you keep adding them up like your suggesting each level, you would end up having a MASSIVE amount of HP by 20th level potentially. Wiki also has a good read on how Hit Dice are used via all the systems AD&D 1e seems to parallel this method.

But, also remember, if you start out at level 3, your roll your Hit Dice that many times and add your Con Bonus 3 times as well. (One for each HD added)

Also, after the 9th level, you just add the 'constant number' EDited: with NO con bonus actually.
Ahhh! I'm really fudging that up then. lol. I gotcha. I know it was mentioned earlier and I still failed to follow exactly. Cool! Thanks.
Jan 24, 2020 12:19 pm
OOC:
Here goes an HP roll.

Rolls

Level 3 HP Roll - (3d4)

(313) = 7

Jan 24, 2020 2:50 pm
A_True_Believer says:
OOC:
Here goes an HP roll.
And you sir rolled just as bad as I did. :)
Jan 24, 2020 2:53 pm
Indeed! lol. Please...don't hit me. haha
Jan 24, 2020 6:38 pm
I was way past school when I started playing D&D in 1978. Once I read the book I got up in church at announcement time and invited anyone who wanted to play to talk to me after services. I got 3 couples to join me right away. I've never looked back since. Now it's time to relive those good old days. And, no my church was not Satanic, it was Unitarian.
Jan 24, 2020 6:39 pm
By the way, here is my gold roll.
OOC:
That's worse than everyone else. Good thing I'll be playing a Cleric. Maces are cheap.
Last edited January 24, 2020 6:40 pm

Rolls

Gold - (3d6)

(211) = 4

Jan 24, 2020 6:45 pm
Aldrusian says:
I was way past school when I started playing D&D in 1978. Once I read the book I got up in church at announcement time and invited anyone who wanted to play to talk to me after services. I got 3 couples to join me right away. I've never looked back since. Now it's time to relive those good old days. And, no my church was not Satanic, it was Unitarian.
A Unitarian! :) Oh, how we should have a discussion some other time on that. :) Good stuff.
Jan 24, 2020 10:06 pm
Here's my character background. If you still need more, just let me know.

http://www.anglerstats.com/chars/ecek_background.pdf
Jan 25, 2020 12:26 am
I will wait a bit to present my character until I learn a little more about the world in which we find ourselves.
Jan 25, 2020 1:12 am
[ +- ] Noctra Luna Character Sheet
Last edited January 26, 2020 8:34 pm
Jan 25, 2020 3:44 am
A true work of art dominion451 now just give me some time to read up on those supplements. And all you need is a background, to help me get her to Barovia.
Jan 25, 2020 4:20 am
Thanks! Background coming up...
Jan 25, 2020 4:23 am
I tried to download a pdf of the Curse of Strahd but could not for some reason. I'm always having that kind of trouble. So, I still don't know where we will be adventuring.
Jan 25, 2020 4:30 am
That's 5th edition but you can have any edition you want...

The Eye - D&D
Jan 25, 2020 6:19 am
You don't need to know Barovia for your background, just the opposite. You start out in your home plane and end up in Barovia trying to get home.

Note: I have read Ecek's Background and will have some minor items to give him over the weekend.
Jan 25, 2020 6:33 pm
kbranden says:

Ecek Thalgorn background
I really like the way you presented your background as a conversation between two people connected to Ecek rather than as exposition. Well done.
Jan 25, 2020 7:38 pm
Since there is some mention made in the Curse of Strahd of Barovia being from a forgotten world in the D&D multiverse, I thought I'd have my character come from somewhere in the Forgotten Realms. He overheard someone talking about an abbey in a village called Krezk that had been overrun by evil. He asked how he could find this Krezk and was told he should first find Madam Eva. She had a wagon somewhere on the edge of town.

As a dwarven Cleric he would worship Moradin.
Jan 25, 2020 7:52 pm
Background posted on my character sheet. Let me know if this link works for you...

Noctra Luna character sheet
Jan 25, 2020 8:18 pm
Here is a Google doc of the background in case you cant access my sheet until it is submitted...

Noctra Luna's background
Jan 25, 2020 8:20 pm
Gold roll
OOC:
120 gold pieces
Last edited January 25, 2020 8:20 pm

Rolls

Gold Pieces - (3d6)

(435) = 12

Jan 25, 2020 8:48 pm
[ +- ] Halfling Thief
Last edited January 25, 2020 8:48 pm
Jan 26, 2020 12:30 am
[ +- ] Dwarven Cleric
Fable Stonewhelm
Alignment: Good
Class: Cleric
Race: Dwarf
Level: 3
AC: 13
HP: 12
AB: +2

ABILITIES
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 6
Wisdom: 16
Dexterity: 9
Constitution: 9
Charisma: 10

SAVING THROWS:

Poison/Death Magic: 10+4 = 14
Petrification/Polymorph: 13+4 = 17
Magic Wand: 11+4 = 15
Breath Weapon: 15+3 = 18
Spells: 14+0 - 14

Languages: Common, Dwarven
Special Skills: Darkvision - 60'
detect slanting passageways, traps, shifting walls and new
construction on 1-2 of a d6
Bonus to saving throws

Starting Gold: 40
Equipment: Warhammer 4gp 6# d6 dmg
Leather Armor 20gp 15# AC 13
Large Sack 1gp
Belt pouch 1gp
Common Clothing 4gp 1#
4 days Rations 6gp 8#
Waterskin 1gp 2#
Remaining Wealth: 3gp

XP: 3000
Next Lvl XP: 6000

Spells: 2 spells at 1st level
Cure Light Wounds cures d6+1
Remove Fear works on one person by touch

BACKGROUND

Fable was raised in a part of the world that men called The Spine of The World. There were several clans in the area dealing in the mining of gemstones and ore, the smelting of metals and the quarrying and shaping of stone. Fable's clan specialized in the carving of stone into fine artwork. Fable, himself, worked in the rough hewing of very large statues. The fine finishing work was done by masters while Fable was merely a worker. Of course, he was more than that. He had received a calling to work on behalf of Moradin, the god of all the dwarves

It was well into his 20th year as a journeyman that the clans met and determined it would benefit all the clans to begin trade with the humans. Travelers returned to the delvings with stories of man's desire to possess dwarven made weapons and objects of metal as well as beautifully wrought gems and masterfully cut stone for building. Those travelers where followed by small tradesmen and tinkerers with human wares that tantalized the clans.

The following spring Fable was asked to join a team that would take a variety of items to the nearest human city of reasonable size to see if trade was something that would benefit the clans. After several such trips Fable decided to stay behind and learn more about the humans. He stayed in Neverwinter until the following spring when we felt it was time to see more of the world by adventuring. Every adventurer he had encountered in that year had told him that traveling was the best way to learn about the world.

A year of that lifestyle left him exhausted but far wealthier than either stonecutting or performing common clerical duties. He was still a Priest of the lowest rank. His latest travels had brought him to Silverymoon where human, dwarves and elves mixed freely. This is where he had overheard a conversation in a tavern that intrigued him. He heard something about a village called Krezk that held an abbey that had been overwhelmed by evil. A bit later he asked one of the parties to the conversation where he might find Krezk. He was told to find Madam Eva and she would show him the way. Her wagon was parked at the edge of town.

He convinced Madam Eva to take him to Krezk and even when she told him it was a long journey with unexpected stops along the way, he still insisted. After a strenuous journey they were passing through a narrow canyon and encountered a thick fog. Madam Eva told Fable not to be concerned, that she knew the way through by heart. Instead of stopping at Krezk a couple of days later she took him to Barovia and left him at a small Inn.
Last edited January 26, 2020 12:31 am
Jan 26, 2020 2:32 am
Great cleric, except for the saves... a plus to save is on the roll not the score ;)
Jan 26, 2020 5:59 am
Thanks, I trust everyone realizes that even though Fable thought he was controlling the situation that it was Madam Eva who was really in charge. The passage through the fog was the passage between Planes. I will find a way to express the ST bonuses in a different way.
Jan 26, 2020 9:25 am
Great Work everyone, this is shaping up nicely. I am off this coming WED?THU so I hope to have everything checked over and get a game thread started by then.
Jan 26, 2020 6:36 pm
OK, I'm going to submit my character.
Jan 26, 2020 7:30 pm
dominion451 says:
kbranden says:

Ecek Thalgorn background
I really like the way you presented your background as a conversation between two people connected to Ecek rather than as exposition. Well done.
Well thank you!
Jan 26, 2020 7:39 pm
dominion451 says:
Here is a Google doc of the background in case you cant access my sheet until it is submitted...

Noctra Luna's background
VERY NICE!
Jan 26, 2020 8:00 pm
Thanks very much! A little emo I know, but she is a necromancer after all. Pretty much the most emo class of all ;)
Jan 27, 2020 2:20 am
A_True_Believer says:
[ +- ] Halfling Thief
Here are tables that list bonuses for race and armor to your thief skills...

https://i.vgy.me/SIBo0i.jpg
Jan 27, 2020 3:34 am
Y’alls characters look awesome. I’m not very familiar with the planes of D&D, but if anyone has a good plane/area that a little Halfling Thief could be from... well, that could work! I do have the Tal’Dorei campaign setting
Jan 27, 2020 11:51 am
You can use whatever it is you wish, like Tal'Dorel. It will be used in the RP so there is no wrong answer.
Jan 27, 2020 3:49 pm
Ok cool! I'll work on that this evening and give you my background blurb. :)
Jan 27, 2020 4:08 pm
A_True_Believer says:
Y’alls characters look awesome. I’m not very familiar with the planes of D&D, but if anyone has a good plane/area that a little Halfling Thief could be from... well, that could work! I do have the Tal’Dorei campaign setting
Well our Dwarf is from the Forgotten Realms setting which is one of the largest and best developed settings in DnD, the Greyhawk setting is also very prominent being the first setting ever created back in the 70's.
Jan 27, 2020 11:00 pm
Background
Kippy was part of the Lightfoot Clan now residing in the Mornset Countryside of Tal'Dorei. After the war of Zan Tal'Dorei's rebellion, he wanted to return home, but his home was destroyed. Already consumed by a bit of wanderlust, Kip became an accomplished little thief. Although, it never diminished his caring heart, and thus has often stolen to benefit those in great need. His family perished in the war, but he now sets to make a name for himself and establish his own family...of course when he has enough coin to live fat and happy! When walking to a nearby village Kippy entered into a great mist...
Last edited January 27, 2020 11:01 pm
Jan 28, 2020 1:01 pm
So how are we going with all the characters and start schedule?
Jan 28, 2020 7:19 pm
My character is good to go, a few gear tweaks aside. Cant wait to start this one! Ranked #1 best module of all time! And I've never played it so this should be good.
Jan 28, 2020 8:08 pm
Me neither. I'm 100% newb to this setting and such. And, although I've had BFRPG for a while...I've yet to play it.
Jan 29, 2020 6:48 pm
I had computer trouble this weekend. And by trouble I mean I dropped my laptop and the screen so nowis holding on by two wires. I just bought this new one, so I am back on track. Will have a starter thread hopefully tomorrow geting everyone into Barovia so we can do some RP.
Jan 29, 2020 7:16 pm
Huzzah!
Jan 29, 2020 7:25 pm
Whoa! Welcome back. 👍
Jan 31, 2020 1:50 am
ok just a little background add ins and then items/money to give you all and we can start.
First off:

Fable Question how long have you been in the village of Barovia? I'm going to say... 3 weeks. So your character would know the following people Burgommaster Kolyan Indirovch and his son Ismark, and daughter Ireena, the town abbot Donavich and his son Doru, the town drunk Bogan Groza(whom you drank under the table one night), and Sergi, Zsolt, and Anton Martikov, three pious brothers who look to faith (any faith) to help get them through the day. They own a farm south of the village.

A letter from a Sister Lenora of the Abbey of Saint Markovia arrived by messenger, but was dated almost four months ago telling of the evils that have "infested" the abbey and its abbot. Her call for help has you leaving once more to reach the abbey - two days on foot your told.

EcekYour character has been currently harrying a group of orcs that came a raiding, and some timely fog has been most helpful. You have them on the run.

Kippy You set things up nicely I need to think on what you might have stolen and not given away to the needy. HaHa!

Noctra LunaYou have been on the run for a long time the elves never forgetting or forgiving your transgression. They have skilled trackers that have followed you from village to village and as you currently leave another "safe" haven you are relieved by the foggy valley ahead, thinking maybe you could double back.
Jan 31, 2020 3:53 am
OK, I don't think Fable would have waited around for 3 weeks to make his way to Krezk unless there was something else keeping him in Barovia. Perhaps it had something to do with fine stone architecture. Perhaps there was another dwarven stonemason in town. The only one of the characters you mentioned that Fable would not likely have had anything to do with would be the town drunk. He may have knocked back a tankard every once in awhile but he wouldn't drink anyone under the table. I assume you will be doing additional items/money in a separate post.
Jan 31, 2020 12:00 pm
yes lost my connection trying to do gear and gold Something keeping him in the village you can make that anything you wish it to be.
Jan 31, 2020 12:30 pm
Gear and Gold:

Fable the letter acts like a scarab of protection(7 charges), you also have around 20gp in loose coins earned in Barovia, and lastly you have a clockwork amulet that you got from Bogan as payment for his loss to you.

Ecek you have a +1 dagger(actually a kukir) you got off a bandit chief, 2 potions of healing earned when you saved a traveling apothecary, and a bracelet you could trade in for some extra coin.

Kippy you have a ring of proof against detection and location, which saved you from a mad abbot wanting to get his gold trimmed alms bowls back, Kippy doesn't know what it does just that it is lucky. Also you have a stash of 60gp in loose coins and gems.

Noctra Luna She still has about 140gp worth of elven jewelry on her and an elven cloak(that has saved her life more than once).
Jan 31, 2020 3:50 pm
Nice :)
Jan 31, 2020 10:37 pm
Since Fable never drank with Bogan he wouldn't have the clockwork amulet. If you wish to substitute something else, that would be great. I'm just not going to add the amulet to Fable's gear.

If nothing else, Fable would have spent his three weeks doing stone repair work on structures around Barovia as well as chatting with the three brothers about religion in general.
Last edited January 31, 2020 10:39 pm
Jan 31, 2020 11:28 pm
And help the Abbot of the local church??

game starts here
Jan 31, 2020 11:32 pm
Aldrusian says:
Since Fable never drank with Bogan he wouldn't have the clockwork amulet. If you wish to substitute something else, that would be great. I'm just not going to add the amulet to Fable's gear.

If nothing else, Fable would have spent his three weeks doing stone repair work on structures around Barovia as well as chatting with the three brothers about religion in general.
Don't think Bogan would have taken no for an answer. Him wishing to proof he could even out drink the legendary dwarves. Might have been something you did under great duress.
Feb 1, 2020 3:30 am
I'll wait until my character is accepted to post in game
Feb 4, 2020 10:47 pm
Is our DM MIA? Maybe just busy with work ;)
Feb 6, 2020 1:50 pm
dominion451 says:
Is our DM MIA? Maybe just busy with work ;)
It seems to be the case. :(
Feb 6, 2020 7:33 pm
He seems to be missing from some other games as well. Perhaps it's a sudden illness or loss of internet access. I can't imagine that he would suddenly ghost everything, even those games he had just expressed an interest in joining, for no reason.
Feb 10, 2020 2:18 am
Yeah, seems unlikely, I'm gonna hold out for another week or so cuz I'm dying to get into this game.
Feb 12, 2020 3:31 am
Yeah, it's not looking good. I'm thinking I may run something myself.
Feb 12, 2020 5:08 pm
Any chance youd want to roll this game over to your own thread? Same characters, same module?
Feb 13, 2020 2:11 am
dominion451 says:
Any chance youd want to roll this game over to your own thread? Same characters, same module?
I've started a custom game called 'Old School D&D' which is going to be using the BFRPG system. Character levels are starting out at level 1, but with modified heroes, like Max HP and good HP gains on leveling. If it is something you would be interested in, come on over. I'll be posting more on the setting soon.. going to dig though some old modules and pull some things out.
Feb 13, 2020 4:18 am
I would indeed sir ;)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.