OOC thread

load previous
Jan 23, 2020 4:03 pm
dominion451 says:
Anytime :)
When I read this I heard it in my head as the Predator (from the original Predator movie) when he was mimicking Mac's voice. :) haha
Jan 23, 2020 4:07 pm
Lol, I can picture it perfectly hahaha
Jan 23, 2020 6:47 pm
Every time I read something here about HD, it comes out sounding different. Here's my take on it. My character gets d6 HD. Starting him at third level allows me to roll 3d6 period. I don't get any bonus or penalty but if I did get a bonus of 1 from Constitution it would be 3d6+3. So the range of HP for my character with no bonuses will be 3-18.
Jan 23, 2020 8:06 pm
You got it. Sorry about my confusions! lol
Jan 23, 2020 9:02 pm
Ok, just a quick clarification.. are all supplemental PDF's useable from the BasicFantasy.org site? I saw that there were additional races, etc.. so was just checking.
Last edited January 23, 2020 9:02 pm
Jan 23, 2020 11:08 pm
OK, so here are my HP rolls.

Rolls

Cleric HP - (3d6)

(516) = 12

Jan 24, 2020 12:36 am
kbranden says:
Ok, just a quick clarification.. are all supplemental PDF's useable from the BasicFantasy.org site? I saw that there were additional races, etc.. so was just checking.
Sure try them out, if you want.
Jan 24, 2020 1:55 am
I'm Building my Ranger and have a question DM. the Ranger Supplement mentions that if the DM allows instead of following the chart with static values for your abilities, the GM can allow the thief (as well as the ranger) to actually allocate these scores however they wish, but not exceeding 10 points per ability per level. So, for instance a Ranger 3rd level would have 10 more ability points in each of his Move Silently, Hide and Tracking via the chart. But as a more customizable way of doing it, you can make where the Rangers gain 14 points per level from 2nd to 9th levels, 9 points per level from 10th to 15th levels, and 4 points per level thereafter and you can raise any ability however you want with a max of 10 points. This seems to just allow for more control over your abilities. Is this something you would allow? Or would rather me go just straight via the chart?

One other quick question, since we are starting out at 3rd level, how much GP should we start with? The rulebook just says '3d6 x
10 gp (unless the GM decides otherwise)." But, I couldn't find anything about starting out at a different level. Should we just go with 3d6?

Thanks.
Last edited January 24, 2020 2:16 am
Jan 24, 2020 2:48 am
Rolling for HP.

3d8

( 4, 1, 3 ) = 8

ugg.. that could have been better. lol
Jan 24, 2020 3:05 am
Is that right? I think on page 4 of the core book it says:

....Each time a character gains a level, the player should roll another hit die and add the character's Constitution bonus or penalty, with a minimum of 1 hit point. Add the amount to the character's maximum hit points figure.

The way I interpret this is to say that you get a roll at Level 1, then another roll at Level 2 (which is added to Level 1's result), and another at Level 3 (which is added to Level 1 and 2's combined result).
Jan 24, 2020 3:07 am
kbranden says:
Rolling for HP.

3d8

( 4, 1, 3 ) = 8

So, according to the Ranger supplement it would be

1d8 (Level 1)
+ 2d8 (Level 2)
+ 3d8 (Level 3)

= TOTAL HP for Level 3
Jan 24, 2020 3:11 am
Follow the supplement to start, and build your character up from there. We need to see how these things work to start.

Starting GP: roll your 3d6 and purchase gear. Then after I see some backgrounds I will add in some gp/equipment/minor magics to each of you seperately. I was already thinking of handing out potions and mastercrafted style armors and weapons to characters.
Jan 24, 2020 3:22 am
A_True_Believer says:
kbranden says:
Rolling for HP.

3d8

( 4, 1, 3 ) = 8

So, according to the Ranger supplement it would be

1d8 (Level 1)
+ 2d8 (Level 2)
+ 3d8 (Level 3)

= TOTAL HP for Level 3
I'm not sure that is correct, your hit die is just a single die. In my case 1d8, so you add an additional 1d8 for each level. That's how I interpret it. That column shows the total hit dice for that level. I might be mistaken, but I thought I also remembered it being that way back in the day as well. I'll see if I can find more information. I do see where your coming from so I'll make sure. GM?
Jan 24, 2020 3:33 am
Yeah, from what I am reading, you just roll another Hit die and add it to your HP. If you keep adding them up like your suggesting each level, you would end up having a MASSIVE amount of HP by 20th level potentially. Wiki also has a good read on how Hit Dice are used via all the systems AD&D 1e seems to parallel this method.

But, also remember, if you start out at level 3, your roll your Hit Dice that many times and add your Con Bonus 3 times as well. (One for each HD added)

Also, after the 9th level, you just add the 'constant number' EDited: with NO con bonus actually.
Last edited January 24, 2020 3:40 am
Jan 24, 2020 3:46 am
Rolling for GOLD!!! Come on..

3d6

( 3, 1, 3 ) = 7

Really?? so, I get 70 gold.. haha.. at least this Ranger can afford a bow!
Jan 24, 2020 4:25 am
What IS the starting gold rule here? 3d6x10 is for level 1, what would we have by 3rd? Money AND item wise? Any magic items? +1 shield or sword maybe?
Jan 24, 2020 4:33 am
Here is my Starting Character... please GM look over it and make sure it is correct.

http://www.anglerstats.com/chars/ecek.pdf
Picture: http://www.anglerstats.com/chars/ecek.jpg

Dominion, I think he said just start out with 3d6 x 10gp and he might add stuff to us. I asked the same question. :)
Last edited January 24, 2020 5:06 am
Jan 24, 2020 4:58 am
Ahh, got it. Sounds good ;)

Gold time...
Last edited January 24, 2020 5:01 am

Rolls

Gold x10 - (3d6)

(316) = 10

Jan 24, 2020 5:11 am
I'm really liking the nostalgia of the ruleset. Reminds me of sitting in the library at school in 6th grade back playing the old Basic D&D with friends. Sometimes I feel like the progression in rules being so chart/calculation oriented works against the imaginary aspect of what RPG's started out with. There's a reason for that old saying 'keep it simple, stupid'. Not knocking any rulesets because I tend to enjoy them all but I'm pretty excited to see how this game goes.
Jan 24, 2020 5:22 am
I like reliving the old school stuff too. I remember reading the solo adventure in the Red Basic Book and seeing all of the action in my head and I was hooked.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.