Chapter Three: The Last Dream of Mirza Horgul

load previous
May 23, 2016 3:53 pm
In his weakened state, Leth is unable to pull Zangua free from the webbing.

Meanwhile, having wrapped both ends of her javelin in the sticky strands, Zora charges up behind the Implacable with the javelin held horizontally out in front of her, and attempts to jam the sticky ends into the backs of its knees.

Edit: Zora only manages to get it stuck behind one knee. The Implacable spins around, the javelin dangling and bouncing from the back of its left leg. Zora jumps back.

Shamush, Vad, you're up!

Rolls

Zora special sticky javelin q-tip attack - (1d20+3)

(13) + 3 = 16

May 23, 2016 10:45 pm
Growing frustrated and nearly out of magical tricks Vad reaches inward channeling his sorcereristic power to summon yet another volley of magical darts.
OOC:
Spending three sorcery points to create a 2nd level spell slot, Vad will once again imitate a pony who only knows one trick.

MAGIC MISSISLE!!!

Rolls

Magic Missile - (4d4+4)

(1221) + 4 = 10

May 24, 2016 12:05 am
The first magic missile strikes the Implacable in the hip, turning it slightly as the second missile strikes it in the side. A gout of the bright blue fluid spurts out of the crack in the construct's abdomen, splattering on the ground. The third missile strikes it in the pelvic area, and its legs buckle and it sinks to the ground as the fourth and final missile hits its squarely in the head. There is a sudden loud hisssss and a crack! crack! crack! as the red gems in its head burst, one by one.

The Implacable's upper body pitches forward until the top of its cylindrical head rests on the ground, as if kneeling in abject prostration. Tendrils of steam and smoke coil upward from its body and head. It does not move.
May 24, 2016 12:40 am
"Someone check to see if it's dead!" Vad yells, astonished that the thing appears to have finally been defeated.
May 24, 2016 12:42 am
"Since it's not moving," offers Zangua, dangling in the tangled web, "maybe keep hacking at it with that special sword?"
May 24, 2016 12:58 am
Shamush moves in, drops his foot on the head of the construct and points at it, yelling with weary exultation, "Down you go! Ha!" He looks up at the others and then back down the tunnel. "Should we go check on Everil or just, uh... well find our own way out?"
May 24, 2016 9:22 am
Felor immediately drops his shield to allow him to wind up a huge two-handed swing at the deactivated construct's neck.

Do I get Advantage attacking something that's dead...?

Rolls

Attack roll - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Attack roll - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Magic sword damage - (1d6+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

May 24, 2016 9:36 am
OOC:
Petition to name this sword Droidslayer...
May 24, 2016 12:30 pm
Petition to name this sword Droidslayer...

Absolutely! Or maybe The Placable?

Octo, I hope I'm not the only one who has lost complete track of where we are in the caverns. Have we recently seen any little side chambers or alcoves that would lend themselves to taking a Long Rest? We are also in need of an exposition dump from Zora as far as what she knows about Everil and the Badgerways (maybe even a little recap of what we went over as we ran) so we can plan our next move.
May 24, 2016 3:42 pm
From the room where you encountered Zora, Everil, and the Implacable, you backtracked to the chamber with the three red-painted exits and took the lower path down to a vast open cavern, which is where you are now.

It takes more than one swing to cut through the construct's bronze neck, but Felor manages to decapitate the Implacable.
May 24, 2016 3:47 pm
"Wonderful. You can wear its head as your helmet," says Zangua, deadpan, and thankful for the appearance of relative safety. In a more-serious tone, he continues, "You've avenged the girl's parents, along with any other innocents (as you like to say) this thing has killed in its pursuit."

While speaking, he tries breaking free from the webbing.

Rolls

Strength - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

May 24, 2016 3:51 pm
It's almost 5,000 words, so I'll link to Pastebin, but here is a cut-n-paste-n-lightly-edit version of The Battle of The Badgerways, focusing on how we beat The Implacable. I left out most of the misses and a fair bit of the hits, but it includes all of the exposition we learned from Zora during the escape attempt, which was the reason I started doing it in the first place.
May 24, 2016 3:57 pm
Zora lightly kicks the Implacable's head. It rolls lightly away; it seems to have been nearly hollow. Fine black powder falls out of the empty "eye" sockets. "Huh," she says, and starts scraping her javelin against a stalagmite to get the webbing off.

Zangua pulls himself free without difficulty.
May 24, 2016 3:59 pm
"We need to rest. Let's spread out in this cavern and see if we can find somewhere out of the way. Stay within earshot of each other though, we don't want anyone getting lost."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(2) = 2

May 24, 2016 4:02 pm
Zangua walks over to Mordred to clap the tiefling on the shoulder. "You got balls," he mutters, "hanging around chatting while that thing drew near, despite me telling you to move. But you got balls, and a bit of fire in ya. I can respect that."

Truthfully, the warrior is really rubbing whatever leftover web residue off of his hands onto Mordred's armor.
May 24, 2016 4:09 pm
"Thanks Zangua. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you and Shamush sticking with us and protecting Zora. It looks like we are going to need all the help we can get." Mordred makes a mental note to wipe down his armor once the group finds a campsite.
May 24, 2016 4:41 pm
(while everyone talks, Felor continues to hack the Entirely Placable into smaller and smaller chunks)
(OK not really)

Satisfied the construct has been suitably disabled, Felor hands the sword back to Leth and returns to inspect the fallen foe.

Arcana? Investigation? (both have same roll) trying to spot any clues as to the origin of the construct or any other useful info.

Rolls

Arcana/Investigation check - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

May 24, 2016 4:55 pm
Felor, the results of your check might depend on whether you do put any effort into dismantling/breaking apart the Implacable. There is a fairly large crack in its abdomen, leaking blue fluid. How invasive are you willing to get with your examination?
load next

Thread locked