Chapter Three: The Last Dream of Mirza Horgul

load previous
May 24, 2016 5:00 pm
I wedge the tip of my spear in and try to lever the crack open, attempting to do so at an angle that would cause any ejected contents to be aimed away from the party members.
Last edited May 24, 2016 5:00 pm
May 24, 2016 5:04 pm
"I'd be careful about that," Zangua says in Felor's direction. "That thing creates a poison, or something in it does."
May 24, 2016 5:13 pm
With a little work, Felor widens the crack and pries off a chunk of bronze, then carefully turns the Implacable's body over to let whatever is inside it spill out.

The first thing to hit the ground is a wet, fleshy thing roughly the size, shape, and color of a Mezian eggplant, which appears to be the source of the cobalt-blue fluid. It seems to be an organ, but it is no recognizable part of the anatomy of any creature any of you have ever seen butchered.

This is followed by a short length of large amber beads strung together with sinew. There are nine beads, each one larger than an inch in diameter, and inside each bead is a black wasp.

A small cage made of silver falls out as well. Inside the cage is a feline skull, and inside the mouth of the skull is a small dead bird.

Felor gives the Implacable a shake. You can hear some other objects stuck inside its body cavity.
May 24, 2016 5:43 pm
It's the creepiest piƱata ever! Keep shaking it, but don't touch anything.
Last edited May 24, 2016 5:44 pm
May 24, 2016 5:51 pm
With some cautious inspection, you can see two thin, narrow tablets of beaten copper and a roughspun cloth soaked with the blue fluid still inside. It doesn't look like they'll shake out on their own.
May 24, 2016 6:34 pm
Does the blue fluid seem corrosive or toxic at all?
May 24, 2016 6:48 pm
With some trepidation, Felor reaches in to try to extract the copper tablets and cloth.
May 24, 2016 6:54 pm
"Felor! I don't think we need them, and if that blue stuff is what poisoned the people at the ranch, it might be absorbed through the skin. If you must, put some gloves on or something."
May 24, 2016 7:06 pm
Wrapping his hands as best he can, Felor removes the remaining objects from the Implacable's body.

The tablets are each about 4" wide and 11" tall and are filled top to bottom with glyphs in no recognizable language. The cloth looks like it would unfold to about 3' square, and is made of linen.

Zora comes over to look at the Implacable's innards, and makes a disgusted face.
May 24, 2016 7:34 pm
Anything ring any bells?

Rolls

That isn't a healthy bonbon, Implacable. (Arcana) - (1d20)

(6) = 6

May 24, 2016 8:15 pm
None of this makes any sense to Mordred.
May 24, 2016 9:00 pm
Felor inspects the catchpole. Does it have any enchantments? Could it be used by one of us?

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+1)

(14) + 1 = 15

May 24, 2016 9:12 pm
Based on his inspection and what he saw of it being used in combat, Felor determines that the catchpole is a +1 polearm with a poison effect enchanted into the blade's metal. The blunt end can also be used as a staff weapon and retains the magic attack/damage bonus. The catchpole blade can also be used for a special sort of grappling attack. The Implacable was able to attack with both the blade and blunt ends in a single round, or sacrifice the blunt end attack to perform the special attack. It looks like anyone with polearm proficiency could wield the catchpole, but unless your weapon skills allow for multiple attacks, you can only make a single attack with either end each round or attack at disadvantage to use the special grappling attack. Assuming, of course, you would want to make use of a weapon built for such evil purposes, which has spilled the blood of innocents...
May 24, 2016 10:41 pm
"Aye, it's imbued with poison magics, as I suspected," says Felor, carefully scrutinising the catchpole. "A powerful weapon. A cruel weapon," Felor continues with distaste. He places the weapon on the ground and returns to survey the contents of the construct's torso. What could the contents be? Were they enchanted objects that infused the inert mechanisms with false life?

Not clear if I used my Arcana check on the robut bits already? Here's another roll if I can inspect them more closely. Wipe them down/rinse them off a bit to get a better look.

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

May 24, 2016 10:49 pm
Felor infers that these objects used some combination of enchantments and sympathetic magic to inform and animate the Implacable.

Zora picks up the head and shakes it out: more black powder falls out, along with a cracked crystal with a red thread tied around it, with one loose end that was probably severed when the construct was decapitated. Sure enough, you can see a bit of the same thread in the hollow stump of its neck.
May 24, 2016 11:04 pm
"Salvage what we can, leave the rest," says Zangua, walking over to the catchpole and prodding it with his foot. "Speaking of, we should find somewhere to lick our wounds. I'm feeling real hurt from where this thing caught me." He picks up the polearm and feels its heft, tests out a few swings.
May 24, 2016 11:07 pm
The catchpole feels light and well-balanced.
May 24, 2016 11:13 pm
Zangua appears to take possession of the catchpole, planting the blunt end on the ground while holding it upright as he waits for the party to move out.
May 24, 2016 11:59 pm
Do any of the construct's components appear to have any value in themselves? Or is it just useless junk? Are there any Jawas nearby?
load next

Thread locked