Character Creation

load previous
Mar 9, 2016 9:02 pm
thedandyman says:
The Alchemist seems like it might be fun to play, although maybe not ideal for a first-timer like me... also thinking of maybe doing a Monk?
Alchemists and monks are both a blast to play. As you guessed, the Alchemist is a bit more complex, especially for a first-time player. Either one is a fine choice, though monk will be easier while learning the basic mechanics of the game. We'll help you through either way though.
Mar 9, 2016 10:54 pm
I think I'm gonna go with the unchained monk, if that's alright? I'm a big fan of unarmed combat.
Now I just need to settle on a race...
Mar 9, 2016 11:00 pm
thedandyman says:
I think I'm gonna go with the unchained monk, if that's alright? I'm a big fan of unarmed combat.
Now I just need to settle on a race...
Yeah, that's perfect. I actually much prefer the stuff in Unchained over what they had previously. It's much more streamlined and well-designed. Thinking about using the rules for Unchained Action Economy as well
Mar 9, 2016 11:18 pm
Human or half-elf... Human or half-elf... hmm.

Also, since my knowledge of the normal action economy is fairly limited already, I wouldn't mind if you swapped haha
Mar 9, 2016 11:23 pm
thedandyman says:
Human or half-elf... Human or half-elf... hmm.

Also, since my knowledge of the normal action economy is fairly limited already, I wouldn't mind if you swapped haha
Normal action economy is kind of complex. Free, swift, move, and standard actions. You can downgrade a standard action into a move, or replace them all with a full round action... That's the standard

Unchained is: You have three actions per round. Moving takes one action, attacking takes one, casting (most spells) takes two. You mix and match as you please. So a level 1 can attack 3 times in one round if they don't move, or move three times, or cast a spell and attack, etc.

I really like it.
Mar 10, 2016 12:06 am
Keleth, if you wanted to go witch, I have a buddy who may go with the ranger archetype of Witchguard and be your sworn protector
Mar 10, 2016 12:44 am
Interesting...
Mar 10, 2016 12:50 am
I'm completely new to play by post, Naatkinson is attempting to broaden my worldview of roleplaying so I didn't even realize this forum was here. Yes, I'm looking at ranger, and witch guard seems somewhat decent and fits with the background.
Last edited March 10, 2016 1:23 am
Mar 10, 2016 3:45 am
Hi everyone! Nate, thanks for inviting me. I've never played PF, but I har it's very similar to 3rd edition D&D, which I'm familiar with. Really looking forward to his game!

I've submitted my Cavalier (Beast Rider archetype). This is a character I created for an old game so it will require some stat adjustments and tweaks to fit the current campaign. I think Urthask will be arriving at Sandpoint on his own.
Quote:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0c/06/24/0c062444656764ef684a972c719c9505.jpg
Urthask, son of Galazur

Urthask, son of Galazur, comes from a tribe of half-orcs who make their home in the frozen lands beyond the Q’sulth mountain range. A proud and noble people, they live in peaceful isolation in their snow-cloaked territories. They do not make war with other tribes that live on the tundra, but they are fierce warriors, called "barbarians" by outsiders, in the defense of their lands from invaders and fearsome beasts. One of the most savage of these beasts is the ghost bear. This huge bear has white fur and a rime of frost around its muzzle. Its eyes are pale blue, almost white in color. Urthask’s father, Galazur, learned to befriend and train these beasts, turning a fearsome enemy into a valuable ally. He trained other warriors to form strong bonds with their ghost bear mounts and inducted them into an elite fighting group that call themselves the Order of the Bear. Many in the tribe regarded these Beast Riders with awe but hardcore protectors of the old ways regarded them with scorn.

One summer, when the weather was mild for those parts, Galazur and a chosen few Beast Riders set off for the southlands on a mission to learn what they could of the lost city of ___________. No one, not even those of the Order, knew what Galazur hoped to find or what they hoped to accomplish with it, but they never returned. Now Urthask has set off on his own to track down the lost Riders and perhaps fulfill their mission, whatever it might have been.
Mar 10, 2016 7:11 pm
1) Are exotic weapons allowed, either as starting equipment or to be made available later on?

2) What are the rules governing the use of two-handed weapons while mounted?
Mar 10, 2016 7:47 pm
1) Exotic Weapons are allowed, just make sure you have proficiency

2) You have to make a DC 5 ride check to guide the mount with your knees if you're not using your hands to guide the beast. You should already have a +4 on Ride checks, (1 from the rank you put in, +3 for it being a class skill). So you can do it with no chance of failure.
Mar 10, 2016 10:23 pm
Naatkinson, Thanks for allowing me to join the group. I was thinking about putting together a dwarf fighter that dual wields hammers. I started my character and got my stats done but forgot my books at home so I won't be able to get it finished until tonight.
Mar 10, 2016 10:27 pm
JoHoover says:
Naatkinson, Thanks for allowing me to join the group. I was thinking about putting together a dwarf fighter that dual wields hammers. I started my character and got my stats done but forgot my books at home so I won't be able to get it finished until tonight.
Glad to have you! So far we have a monk and a cavalier, everyone else is still not 100% sure.

I actually recommend using d20pfsrd.com, even if you have the books. It's a far more complete resource, and more well organized than the books themselves (all feats on one page, for example).
Mar 10, 2016 10:31 pm
I always debate creating an interactive SRD, as if I don't have enough work as it is...

If Fatenori wants to join in me in the Ranger/Witch idea, it could be neat, and a good combo of characters. Barring some arcane damage, we have a good range!
Mar 10, 2016 10:46 pm
Team so far:
Jabes: Cavalier (Beast Rider)
Keleth: Witch
Fatenori: Ranger (Witchguard)
thedandyman: Unchained Monk
Mar 10, 2016 10:49 pm
Okay, in that case I have Daire Brasstackle(best generated random name ever). Dwarven Witchguard ranger(sword and board).
Mar 10, 2016 10:57 pm
I think I will go with the dwarven fighter. it might make things to convoluted but Fatenori's character and mine could come from the same dwarven clan?

and your right @Naatkinson the website is so much better than the book.
Last edited March 10, 2016 10:58 pm
Mar 10, 2016 11:01 pm
Rolling for starting gold. Come on lucky six!

Rolls

Starting Gold - (5d6)

(53215) = 16

Mar 10, 2016 11:16 pm
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qncgo9jl5w40nw1/Gongar.jpg?dl=0

So this is what Gongar the fighter looks like.
Last edited March 10, 2016 11:22 pm
Mar 10, 2016 11:17 pm
JoHoover says:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9gq5bq6xzidqc1o/Gongar.png?dl=0

So this is what Gongar the fighter looks like.
Broken link!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.