Chapter 1: Burnt Offerings

load previous
Aug 15, 2016 4:20 pm
"Well met, Master Brasstackle, and indeed! the little gnome replies. "It's the furnaces, you see. The kilns and such make the temperature almost unbearable if one doesn't open the door to let the heat escape. I've been here to resupply on many occasions, and the doors are almost always open when the furnaces are burning."
Aug 15, 2016 5:11 pm
Urthask nods. Unsheathing the sword of his ancestors he strides forward towards the door in question. With a gesture in Arktos' direction he commands the bear to sniff out any trouble and be prepared for battle.

Urthask hammers on the door and waits for a response.
OOC:
Yeah, not very subtle. That's Urthask for ya.
Last edited August 15, 2016 5:12 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Aug 15, 2016 6:06 pm
I'm not certain anyone will hear your knocking, Urthask. The furnaces are rather loud, you see...
Aug 15, 2016 6:14 pm
Archibald turns out to be correct, as no one answers the door.
Aug 15, 2016 6:44 pm
Urthask tries the door to see if it is even locked. If it's unlocked, he opens it. If it's locked, he kicks it down.
Last edited August 15, 2016 6:45 pm

Rolls

Break stuff - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Aug 15, 2016 7:01 pm
The door is smashed to kindling by Urthask's powerful kick and reveals a room with glass displays of the product that the glassworks produce. There is a large skylight in the ceiling, letting light into the room. It is very hot and you all begin to immediately sweat as the heat escapes. Behind the counter are two doors leading further into the building.

http://i.imgur.com/KWzHBgE.jpg
Aug 15, 2016 7:15 pm
Urthask sets Arktos to guard the entrance, and advances into the building.
Aug 15, 2016 7:20 pm
Daire enters as well, motioning for Malik to stay right behind him.
OOC:
You going to try one of the doors? Upper or lower?
Aug 15, 2016 7:24 pm
Archibald looks at the kindling that was once a door, then up at the rather large half-orc that just made some firewood. "I could have opened that lock, you know. Though that was impressive..."

Looking at the seriousness of the group around him, Archibald meanders to a nearby wagon and pulls two bandoliers out of it, each laden with a variety of flasks and ceramic spheres. "I take it that there are some shenanigans afoot, or some other urgent matter that requires your attention so badly that you had to break into the building. With the recent goblin attacks and all, I would like to accompany you, if you don't mind," he states as he belts the bandoliers on across his chest, then hangs a small mace opposite of the pouch on his belt.

irvanovich sent a note to Naatkinson
Last edited August 15, 2016 7:26 pm
Aug 15, 2016 7:40 pm
Urthask gestures silently towards the two doors, indicating that Archibald should try one of them. In addition to what lock-picking skill he may have, the gnome probably has some knowledge of this building's layout.
Aug 15, 2016 7:43 pm
OOC:
Do I have any prior knowledge of the layout? :P
Aug 15, 2016 7:50 pm
irvanovich says:
OOC:
Do I have any prior knowledge of the layout? :P
OOC:
You've only ever been to this first room. They don't let outsiders go any further back.
Aug 15, 2016 7:56 pm
OOC:
Figured as much. It was worth a shot ;)
Archibald heads to the door closest to him, listening and looking it over before pulling out a small case of tools from a pouch at the back of his belt and going to work on the lock.
OOC:
Adding my Trapfinder bonus to check over the door.

EDIT: *sigh*. Two or three great rolls, one not so great roll.
Last edited August 15, 2016 7:57 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+7)

(19) + 7 = 26

Disable Device - (1d20+8)

(2) + 8 = 10

Aug 15, 2016 8:17 pm
The door is not locked, and opens easily, revealing a hallway going straight ahead and one to your right. Both hallways end in a set out double doors, but the one to the right has a door on the right-hand side of the hallway about halfway down. There seems to be a hallway branching off to the right of the double doors down the left hallway. There is also a door directly in front of you opposite the door you just opened, which you can hear the sound of the furnaces through.

http://i.imgur.com/sqDElEv.jpg
Aug 16, 2016 12:07 pm
OOC:
I haven't seen any sign of life in here, beyond the furnaces, correct?
Aug 16, 2016 1:13 pm
In a voice just loud enough to be heard by the others over the roar of the furnaces, Archibald points out the various doors.

"Double doors over there are the loading dock, I believe. That's where they always have me bring my wagon around when I buy a few crates of vials. Door straight ahead leads to the furnaces, from the sound of things. I'm not too sure about the doors at the end of the hall or the one on the right, but I'd assume one leads to the office and the other leads to the storage area.

What concerns me, though, is the fact that I have yet to see or hear a single person here. With the furnaces going, there should be at least one worker here to make sure the building doesn't burn down."
Aug 16, 2016 6:40 pm
Quote:
Is your human friend mute? I might be able to come up with something that can help him retrieve his voice...
Xandak smiles and shakes his head. Perhaps later when they have more time, an attempt could be made to further explain, but at the moment they have a more pressing matter at hand. As they enter the first room, he looks around the room carefully, hoping to find some clue that would indicate that Ameiko had been there last night. (Perception check)
Last edited August 16, 2016 6:47 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Aug 16, 2016 6:46 pm
OOC:
With a flop roll like that, I'm going to assume he doesn't find anything and just keep moving hahaha
Not seeing anything noteworthy, Xandak moves up to where the gnome is at the doorway. If what Archibald says is true, the furnaces might be the best place to check first. Someone had to have started them up, and perhaps that person is still there.
Although I'm sure that initial blast of hot air isn't going to be pleasant... He considers. Still, it needs to be checked out, even if only to make sure that they are not in any danger roaming around the building.

Xandak points to the doors across from them that presumably lead to the furnace room, and looks at Archibald with a raised eyebrow.
Aug 16, 2016 7:39 pm
OOC:
What is it, boy? Timmy fell down the well?
Archibald looks at the monk with a raised eyebrow of his own before it dawns at him that the silent man is suggesting those doors first.

After a moment's consideration, the gnome nods. Not a bad idea. Maybe someone is tending the furnaces...it's what I would do if I ran an operation like this...
load next

Thread locked