Chapter 1: Burnt Offerings

Mar 9, 2016 6:55 pm
Five years ago in a village named Sandpoint, the local cathedral of Desna was burned to the ground, taking Father Toblyn and his aasimar daughter Nualia with it. Today, the first day of autumn, marks the opening of the new cathedral and the Swallowtail Festival to commemorate the grand opening. The square before the church quickly becomes crowded as locals and travelers arrive, and several merchant tents featuring food, clothes, local crafts, and souvenirs are there to meet them.

The service begins promptly in the morning after the crowds are gathered. The turnout for the opening speeches is quite respectable, and the four keynote speakers each deliver short but well-received welcomes to the festival. Mayor Deverin’s friendly attitude and excitement prove contagious as she welcomes visitors to town and jokes about how even Larz Rovanky, the local tanner (and notorious workaholic) managed to tear himself away from the tannery to attend, much to everyone’s but Larz’s amusement. Sheriff Hemlock brings the crowd down a bit with his dour mood, his reminder to be safe around the evening’s bonfire, and his request for a moment of silence to remember those who lost their lives in the fire that claimed the town’s previous church five years ago. Fortunately, Cyrdak Drokkus is more than up to the challenge of bringing the crowd’s mood back up with his rousing anecdotes as he delivers a not-completely-irreverent recap of the long process the town went through to finance and construct the new cathedral. He throws in a bit of self-promotion at the end, as is his wont, inviting everyone to stop by the Sandpoint Theater the following evening to check out his new production of "The Harpy’s Curse," revealing that the lead role of Avisera the harpy queen will be played by none other than the famous Magnimarian diva Allishanda! Finally, Father Zantus steps up give a short speech thanking everyone for coming before declaring the Swallowtail Festival underway.

At noon, Father Zantus and his acolytes wheel a large covered wagon into the square, and after recounting the short parable of how Desna first fell to earth and was nursed back to health by a blind child who she transformed into an immortal butterfly as a reward for her aid, they pull aside the wagon’s cover, releasing the thousand children of Desna — a furious storm of a thousand swallowtail butterflies that swarm into the air in a spiraling riot of color to a great cheer from the crowd. Throughout the rest of the day, children futilely chase butterflies, never quite quick enough to catch them.

Lunch is provided free, at the expense of Sandpoint’s taverns. Each brings its best dishes—this event is a marketing push by the taverns as much to win new customers as it is to feed a hungry crowd. It soon becomes apparent that the darling of the lunch is, once again, Ameiko Kaijitsu, whose remarkable curry-spiced salmon and early winterdrop mead easily overshadow the other offerings, such as the Hagfish’s lobster chowder or the White Deer’s peppercorn venison.
OOC:
This is just an introductory post to set the stage for the game. Once we're ready to start I will make another post to get things rolling.
Mar 24, 2016 1:55 pm
A sharp retort, like the crack of distant thunder, slices through the excited crowd as the sun’s setting rays paint the western sky. A stray dog that has crawled under a nearby wagon to sleep starts awake, and the buzz of two dozen conversations quickly hushes as all heads turn toward the central podium, where a beaming Father Zantus has taken the stage. He clears his throat, takes a breath to speak, and suddenly a woman’s scream slices through the air. A few moments later, another scream rises, then another. Beyond them, a sudden surge of strange new voices rises—high-pitched, tittering shrieks that sound not quite human.

The crowd parts and something low to the ground races by, giggling with disturbing glee as the stray dog gives a pained yelp and then collapses with a gurgle, its throat cut open from ear to ear. As blood pools around its head, the raucous sound of a strange song begins, chanted from shrill, scratchy voices.

Those of you who understand Goblin can understand the words of the song:
Quote:
Goblins chew and goblins bite.
Goblins cut and goblins fight.
Stab the dog and cut the horse,
Goblins eat and take by force!

Goblins race and goblins jump.
Goblins slash and goblins bump.
Burn the skin and mash the head,
Goblins here and you be dead!

Chase the baby, catch the pup.
Bonk the head to shut it up.
Bones be cracked, flesh be stewed,
We be goblins! You be food!
You are all near the front of the crowd and people are beginning to panic and are running into each other in their haste to get away from the chaos.
OOC:
For the purpose of introducing characters and gathering the rest of the avatars for the characters I ask that everybody make a perception check. From here on out things like this will fall to your passive perception (10 + Perception Modifier), but I need to gather your avatars to make battle map complete!
Mar 24, 2016 9:15 pm
It's been some time since Xandak was last in Sandpoint. While he doesn't care much large crowds or boisterous parties, the people here had been good to him - indeed, he owed them his life - and this is an occasion he felt he should be present for. Besides, the food is free and delicious, a combination that doesn't cross his path often - and since he rarely ate more than the cheapest food available to him, this was a delicacy. He had stuck mostly to the back of the crowd for most of the day, watching the events unfold silently, the hood of his simple monk robe shielding his bald head from the mid-day sun, and had not yet taken measures to seek out anyone he might know. There will be time to visit the House of Blue Stones later.

He finishes the last few scraps of curry-spiced salmon just as Father Zantus is about to speak again, but both actions are interrupted by the screaming. Immediately, Xandak sets his plate down and looks back towards the source of the sound, and dread falls over him as he hears the chanting. Was that the sound of... Goblins? Here in town? He can't see exactly where the sound is coming from, but he knows it's not good. He tightens the cloth wrappings around his hands and prepares to throw some punches as he scans the crowd, looking for the source of the chaos.
OOC:
Am I rolling this right? d20+wisdom modifier + ranks + 3 for being a class skill?

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Mar 24, 2016 10:14 pm
Gongar was very excited and happy when he noticed his old friend Xandak was at festival. It had been several seasons since they had parted ways for Gongar's trip back to his families estate. It had taken quite the effort to convince his family that he should be allowed to take time off of his duties to come to the Swallowtail Festival. That effort seemed very justified once he was rejoined with his friend.

He had been spending most of his time since arrival at Xandak's side eating and enjoying the festival, until the screaming started. "Well Xandak, I don't think this is a planned part of the celebration." Gongar loosens the strap on his whip and brings the coil to hand and grabs one of his warhammers with the other.

Rolls

Preception - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Mar 24, 2016 10:25 pm
Daires first impression of Sandpoint was that it was a fine enough village, the festival seemed potentially interesting and Desna was a fine God to build a chapel to. Many of the speeches were fairly boring, not understanding the inside jokes and references, but Daire could respect the Sheriff's practicality. The real joy of the evening was the free food, though the courses were... strange, he tried a couple bites of the different meals, the vendor's having tried hard to make them, but tended more towards the venison over the sea-based cuisine. As father Zantus takes the stage, Daire takes another swig of his mead and readies himself to listen once again, hoping for a more interesting speech, and just as he readies himself to speak Daire's wish is granted and a scream rends the night.

Once again realizing how much his thoughts can get him in trouble Daire seeks out his charge to make sure he's nearby and prepared, finding him he looks in the direction of the screams for the instigators and hears a somewhat familiar chant. Daire never bothered to learn the language of the goblins, figuring they wouldn't have anything interesting to say, but the shrillness of the pitch and the panic of the crowds lead him to conclude them as the most likely cuplrit, Daire places himself near Malik , grabs his dorn-dergar, and attempts to spot the terrors while urging the people to leave the square, bystanders always complicate matters.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(6) + 6 = 12

Mar 25, 2016 3:51 pm
As Malik's first time outside of his home village, the sights and sounds are dazing. Sticking close to Daire, sampling the food cautiously. He sticks to water, not being sure what to expect from the new town. Festivals back home were much smaller, calmer, but this could be fun.

As soon as the commotion breaks, Malik instinctively reaches into his bag for his healing herbs. He looks around trying to see where the commotion is and to see if anyone needs his help.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(13) + 3 = 16

Mar 28, 2016 2:48 pm
OOC:
Not sure what's up with Jabes, but we'll move on for the moment without him
Searching for the source of the commotion you see a group of 3 goblins just a short distance away from you. They are ransacking a nearby cart, stuffing their faces with food. As you see them, they turn to look at you, smile maliciously, and charge!

http://i.imgur.com/GA0J3hF.jpg
OOC:
I will allow you guys the initiative to get a chance to get used to the system and PbP in general

Squares, unless otherwise noted, will always be 5 feet
Mar 28, 2016 3:28 pm
Gongar rushes at the goblins with whip and hammer, he lashes at the feet of a goblin in an attempt to trip it up mid step and swings his hammer at the closest goblin. Then with a deft spin gongar brings his whip to bear on the third goblin in another attempt to trip up the attacker.
OOC:
Since you said they charged i'm assuming they are no longer behind the cart. I'm targeting G3 with my whip and G1 with my hammer, since I'm using two attacks the -4 penalty negates my attack bonus. The second whip attack is targeting G2 with a -1 attack penalty due to my bonuses. BTW the whip damage is non-lethal.
Last edited March 28, 2016 5:14 pm

Rolls

Whip (attack, damage) - (1d20, 1d3+2)

1d20 : (18) = 18

1d3+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

Hammer (attack, damage) - (1d20, 1d8+1)

1d20 : (14) = 14

1d8+1 : (3) + 1 = 4

Whip on G2 (attack, damage) - (1d20-1, 1d3+2)

1d20-1 : (5) - 1 = 4

1d3+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

Mar 28, 2016 8:03 pm
Xandak raises an eyebrow in amusement at Gongar's comment before they both dive into the action.
A chance to test my skills... let's see how much I've really learned these past few years. Xandak thinks to himself as he moves up to furthest Goblin. His left fist jabs out at the Goblin's gut, followed immediately by an open palmed strike upwards at the Goblin's nose with his right hand.
OOC:
Double checking rules again... A melee attack roll is d20+BAB+strength modifiers? And the damage roll is your damage die + strength modifier?
Also, for the Flurry of Blows, it says "When making a flurry of blows, the monk can make one additional attack at his highest base attack bonus. This additional attack stacks with the bonus attacks from haste and other similar effects." Does that mean I only add my BAB for the second attack, and not my strength bonus, or do I get to add all my modifiers again?

Rolls

Attack Roll - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Damage Roll - (1d6+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Second Attack Roll (Only added my BAB, if I get to add strength again, add another +4) - (1d20+1)

(17) + 1 = 18

Second Damage Roll (Also not sure if Strength applies here too, correct this if it's wrong) - (1d6+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Mar 28, 2016 8:18 pm
Forgot I've got one more action... If the goblin dies after his attack, Xandak will move to the square north of Goblin 3. If the goblin does not die, he will make one more attack at Goblin 2.

Rolls

Possible additional attack roll - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Possible additional damage roll - (1d6+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Mar 28, 2016 8:23 pm
As Gongar rushes forward he lashes out with his whip, catching the leg of G3 and pulling his legs out from under him. He lands with a crash just as Gongar lands a solid blow on G1's chest with his hammer (4 damage).

Xandak charges to the opposite side, toward G2. His first blow connects solidly with the goblin's gut (9 damage), and as the thing begins to double over in pain his other palm rushes upward. The blow connects with the underside of the creature's nose (5 damage) and, with a loud crack, the creature falls over dead.

As Gongar's whip lashes out again it catches nothing but air as G2 is lifted upward off the ground by the force of Xandak's blow.
OOC:
All of your Flurry of Blows attacks will be made with your Strength mod to attack rolls, as well as full damage on both attacks.

1 Act was used to move, 1 to attack, then you can either move up to the next one or use the act for something else. Don't have enough actions for both moves and both attacks.

G1 has taken 4 damage
G2 is dead
G3 is prone, but unharmed
Mar 28, 2016 9:26 pm
Daire places himself at a point equidistant from the remaining goblins and brings his large flails head slamming down at the prone goblin. pulling back on the chain with his offhand he pulls it behind himself and uses the momentum to attack again, aiming to finish of that goblin and assist his current allies. Daire readies himself in case any enemy moves forward, or his current enemy attempts to stand.
OOC:
I believe prone is a -4 AC? also, using a reach weapon so I'm placed 10' away from each, if first attack kills G3, then second attack on G1

Rolls

attack 1 - (1d20+4, 1d10+3)

1d20+4 : (9) + 4 = 13

1d10+3 : (8) + 3 = 11

attack 2 - (1d20-1, 1d10+3)

1d20-1 : (11) - 1 = 10

1d10+3 : (8) + 3 = 11

Potential AoO - (1d20+4, 1d10+3)

1d20+4 : (4) + 4 = 8

1d10+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

2nd Potential AoO - (1d20+4, 1d10+3)

1d20+4 : (17) + 4 = 21

1d10+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Mar 28, 2016 9:29 pm
So since the Goblin died, Xandak used the rest of his turn to move to the square north of Goblin 3
Last edited March 28, 2016 9:30 pm
Mar 28, 2016 11:07 pm
G3 shakes the stars out of his eyes just in time to see Daire's flail-head slam descend on his face (11 damage). Daire then swings out toward G1 but narrowly misses.

http://i.imgur.com/Tm9zOzw.jpg
OOC:
G1 has taken 4 damage
G2 and G3 are dead

Urthask and Malik still can act
Mar 29, 2016 2:40 pm
Newly arrived in Sandpoint just this day, Urthask has just spent the earlier part of the morning getting acquainted with a local, Daviren Hosk, at the Goblin Squash Stables. Years before, Urthask's father, Galazur, helped Daviren put down a a group of goblins not far from here. In gratitude, Daviren has outfitted the young beast rider's mount, the great ghost bear Arktos. The pair, rider and mount, has just arrived at the square when chaos erupts. Arktos roars when he spots the goblins, and Urthask hardly needs to urge his mount to charge, but the young beast rider finds it difficult guiding the bear's great bulk through the bedlam without hurting townsfolk. Urthask sees four individuals make short work of two of the goblins before he and Arktos manage to make it to the center of the square. From this vantage point Urthask looks to the crowd to see where his assistance is most needed.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Mar 29, 2016 9:29 pm
Urthask looks around for anyone to help, but it appears that no one the he can see has been severely injured. Most people are just scraped up from running away from the chaos and are avoiding the great, growling bear as much as possible.
OOC:
Waiting on Keleth to make his move
Mar 30, 2016 2:49 am
Malik looks around to see if someone around him needs immediate medical attention. Not spotting anyone in particular, he swarms forward to strike the goblin with his staff.

Rolls

Quarterstaff attack - (1d20+1, 1d6+1)

1d20+1 : (7) + 1 = 8

1d6+1 : (3) + 1 = 4

Mar 30, 2016 6:39 pm
Malik rushes up, swinging his staff at the goblin's head. The crafty creature easily pushes aside the blow with its nasty blade and leaps in to attack the vulnerable staff-wielder. He hits once, drawing a line of blood on Malik's side (2 damage) before spinning to attack Gongar wildly, missing terribly.

http://i.imgur.com/wJe9DXf.jpg

G1 has taken 4 damage
G2 and G3 are dead

Back to player turns! (I'm sure you'll kill him on this round!)

Rolls

Attack 1 on Malik - (1d20+2, 1d4)

1d20+2 : (12) + 2 = 14

1d4 : (1) = 1

Attack 2 on Malik - (1d20-3, 1d4)

1d20-3 : (8) - 3 = 5

1d4 : (1) = 1

Attack 3 on Gongar - (1d20-8, 1d4)

1d20-8 : (18) - 8 = 10

1d4 : (4) = 4

Mar 30, 2016 7:25 pm
Gongar aims to finish off the last goblin with his hammer and takes 3 swings the first across his body, the second a reversal of the hammer and the third a downward swing just to be sure.

Rolls

Attack 1 - (1d20+4, 1d8+2)

1d20+4 : (11) + 4 = 15

1d8+2 : (5) + 2 = 7

Attack 2 - (1d20+4, 1d8+2)

1d20+4 : (17) + 4 = 21

1d8+2 : (2) + 2 = 4

Attack 3 - (1d20+4, 1d8+2)

1d20+4 : (7) + 4 = 11

1d8+2 : (8) + 2 = 10

Mar 30, 2016 7:28 pm
The goblin manages to step back out of the way of the first swing, but steps forward into the path of the backswing, and the hammer slams into his skull, knocking him down where he lays very still. He is obviously dead.
OOC:
When you make more than one attack action each attack takes a stacking -5 penalty.

So your attacks would actually have been 1d20+4, 1d20-1, 1d20-6

You all gain 81 exp!
load next

Thread locked