Chapter 1: Burnt Offerings

load previous
Mar 30, 2016 7:39 pm
Urthask sees a staff-wielding combatant take a wound and urges Arktos forward. But before they reach the goblin, one of the dwarven warriors caves its skull in. Urthask, approaching but still mounted, surveys the scene warily. He's not quite sure yet if he should interfere now that the fight seems to be over.
Mar 30, 2016 8:13 pm
Malik looks at the blow landed on himself, and grabs a salve from his kit to ease the pain. He quickly starts looking around to see if anyone else is injured and where the goblins came from.
OOC:
Not a salve that does anything in game, just a salve. Unless you wanna give me HP.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Mar 30, 2016 9:09 pm
Looking over the bodies of the goblins, Xandak moves over to his friend Gongar. Remembering that he had learned some rudimentary sign language during their days at the House of Blue Stones so they could communicate with each other easier, he signs a question at the dwarf, using simple words and phrases he would understand.
{Goblins. Where from? Why?} He asks with his hands, a perplexed look on his face, and then begins to search the goblins for any clues as to why they might be here.
OOC:
Not sure if I need to roll to search them, so I will just in case.

Eta: Well... I hope I didn't need to roll hahaha
Last edited April 28, 2016 4:35 pm

Rolls

Perception? - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Mar 31, 2016 1:23 am
Daire, seeing that Malik is caring for his wound, looks around the scene. Rarely has he ever seen such a small group of goblins with the bravery to just enter a town, even if it's during a festival. He keeps himself ready for the inevitable as he informs Malik of his suspicions.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(9) + 6 = 15

Mar 31, 2016 7:48 am
Urthask removes is helm and dismounts. He approaches the group, saluting them as he does so. He speaks in a deep voice, refined for one of his brutish race, "Well met, brave warriors. I wish Arktos and I could have gotten here sooner to lend aid. I am Urthask, son of Galazur. Perhaps I hope we may yet be of assistance." The beast rider inspects the goblin corpses, looking for tribal markings or other clues.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Mar 31, 2016 4:13 pm
Round One

You can all see that chaos is now the order of the day. People race around, chased by vicious little goblins wielding nasty little swords and spears. There are several people bleeding badly, but none are near enough to help, or if they are they run off before anyone can reach them. Urthask quickly inspects the goblins at their feet, but doesn't find any identifying marks on them.

While he is inspecting the corpses you hear a loud explosion and turn to see a nearby cart in flames. By the looks of it, this must have been the card holding the fuel for the sunset bonfire. You see that there are five goblins standing around the fire with torches. The wicked goblins dance and howl in glee at the destruction they've wrought. One of them sees you watching and points you out. The rest of the goblins look back, easily spotting you even through the chaos. They raise torches and whoop out a warcry, charging your location.

One of the goblins is better armed and armored than the others, and even a bit bigger than the others. He wields a whip and one of those nasty swords and appears to be leading the chanting.

http://i.imgur.com/gUhds9y.jpg
OOC:
Player Turn!
Mar 31, 2016 4:17 pm
Urthask curse himself for relaxing too soon. His instinct was right, this isn't over yet. Without another word to the others he mounts up and charges the goblin leader, bellowing a challenge as he closes in. As his lance skewers the goblin leader Urthask draws his sword and bring it hammering down to knock the goblin's sword out of its hand. At the same time, Arktos lashes out with his powerful jaws.
OOC:
Distracting Charge
When Urthask charges and hits, allies gain a +2 bonus on their next attack roll against the target of that charge. This bonus must be used before Urthask's next turn, or it is lost.
Last edited March 31, 2016 7:33 pm

Rolls

Lance charge! - (1d20+7)

(12) + 7 = 19

damage - (1d8+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Arktos bite - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

bite damage - (1d6+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Disarm attempt - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Mar 31, 2016 4:37 pm
OOC:
Hope you don't mind if I interject an action before you, assuming Naat is allowing us to take actions
Seeing Urthask mount, Malik runs over and whispering a few words to himself, places his hand on Urthask's shoulder.
OOC:
Cast resistance
Mar 31, 2016 5:58 pm
"Time to crush some more skulls!" Gongar smiles ruefully as he charges into the fray.
OOC:
I'm heading straight at G7 to come at them from the bottom.
Mar 31, 2016 6:32 pm
Daire, seeing the goblins assaulting commoners, rushes forward to engage the closest one.
OOC:
g6

Rolls

attack 1 - (1d20+4, 1d10+4)

1d20+4 : (8) + 4 = 12

1d10+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

attack 2 - (1d20+4, 1d10+4)

1d20+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

1d10+4 : (4) + 4 = 8

Mar 31, 2016 8:08 pm
Urthask rushes forward, causing a couple of commoners to dive to the side to avoid being knocked aside by the ferocious Arktos. The goblin leader attempts to dive aside as he realizes that Arktos isn't planning to stop but is caught in the center of the chest by Urthask's lance which penetrates through and comes out the other side in a shower of gore. Arktos' jaws follow close behind, clamping down on what's left of the goblin's torso and ripping it in half.

The rest of the goblins watch in horror and there is silence for a moment, then they begin to scream and run away, leaving the square unusually quiet.

Daire darts out and attempts to land a blow on a nearby goblin as it turns to watch the spectacle across the square, but his blows are amazingly deflected by the creature's armor.
OOC:
Wow... Combat over...
256 exp for everyone
Mar 31, 2016 8:11 pm
A little surprised, Malik walks over to Urthask, a bit slow and confused. "That was amazing!"

He looks around the crowd, shouting out, "Is anyone injured? Is everyone ok?"
Mar 31, 2016 10:45 pm
"Of course the guy riding the bear takes all the fun away. Shall we pursue them?" I look around trying to see if anything else is lurking at the edges of the square, ready to dash after the goblins if anyone says the word.

Rolls

Perception check - (1d20+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Mar 31, 2016 10:45 pm
Xandak dashes forward to attack the closest goblin, but his run comes to a sudden halt when the goblin leader is mauled by the half-orc and his mount. He watches is confusion and wariness as the goblins, who had been bold enough to enter the town and attack during a festival, lost all of that boldness and dispersed like cockroaches at the sight of their dead boss. He watches them go - are they actually leaving town? Or are they spreading out into the city to hide? And are there more goblins about?
Last edited March 31, 2016 10:58 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Apr 1, 2016 12:23 am
Daire approaches his companion(s) "Ha! just like goblins to flee just because one of them gets a minor chest wound... and then gets torn in half" *nods at Urthask* "you do your ancestor's proud." continuing past he states "we should probably at least find out where they're going"

Rolls

perception - (1d20+6)

(1) + 6 = 7

Apr 1, 2016 6:39 am
Urthask stows his lance, replacing it in its holster at his stirrup. The pennant, soaked with goblin blood, hangs limp. He'll have to wash it out later. The young beast rider salutes the others. Arktos and I are glad to be of assistance. Is it common for goblins to enter the city so brazenly? I am only glad no townsfolk were hurt. We would pursue, but it is difficult for Arktos in these narrow streets. "He gestures towards the podium. "Perhaps I might serve better by speaking with the temple and city leaders."
Apr 1, 2016 12:56 pm
As the party surveys the destruction they can see a number of goblin corpses on the ground, as well as those of several citizens. The square is mostly empty of the living, aside from a couple of people who had the presence of mind to fight back. The ones still standing seem to have only minor wounds and as the last goblin leaves they either rush to get to their homes or stand weeping over their fallen loved ones.

You can still hear the sounds of the occassional battle nearby. The clash of swords or goblin song echo from other parts of Sandpoint, but the battle for the square is pretty well over. You see Father Zantus limping his way around the area, seeing to the wounded and comforting those who've lost people today. After a few minutes he makes his way over to you.

"It appears that you've saved the day. I don't know how we can ever thank you," he says, and you can hear true gratitude in his voice.

Before you're able to respond you hear the sound of frantic barking and then laughter and a cry for help coming from the north. It seems to be coming from the direction of the North Gate.
Apr 1, 2016 1:07 pm
"Daire," Malik says, turning to his friend. "I loath the idea of going into battle, but others may need me, and it seems the good Father will mind those injured here. Others may not be so lucky. Will you come with me?"
Apr 1, 2016 1:51 pm
Urthask speaks to Malik. "It seems there is nothing to be done in the square. And where there is battle, there is where Arktos and I belong. We will fight beside you all if you will have us."
Last edited April 1, 2016 1:52 pm
Apr 1, 2016 5:11 pm
"The more battle companions the merrier. Lets see what havoc we can wreck on these goblins." Gongar starts off in the direction of the North gate, beckoning to his companions to follow.
load next

Thread locked