B1 Chapter 1: The Lord of the Tundra

load previous
Sep 12, 2020 12:56 pm
AshDrunbar sent a note to Valdus
Last edited September 12, 2020 12:57 pm
Sep 16, 2020 8:41 pm
The slab stays as it always had, seemingly forever. All that can be seen are knuckle and claw markes about the giant slab, Remains that appear to be something of a metal nature far far in the past. But nothing else stands out. There are no markings. Tragically this does not seem like the noble burial of a once frightfully powerful tundra lord.

The wind whistles, grabs the red rags of the scarecrow guardians and then lets them go to flutter for a few moments.
Sep 17, 2020 1:22 pm
Thran smothers a sigh of disappointment as he realizes his excitement at having found what they sought may have been premature. His eyes turned towards the stone circle and the symbols, trying to find a clue as to what this place was, and if there was anything like a map or directions of any kind to Rappan Athuk's tumulus.
Last edited September 18, 2020 9:46 pm
Sep 18, 2020 9:06 am
"Hmm, not what we were looking for then? Unless its hiding something somewhere..." Belga gives the whols tableau an appraising look - from a safe distance, of course.
Sep 20, 2020 3:02 am
Akki says, "Can anyone see things that are hidden? Or does one of us need to inspect the thing with hand and eye?"
Sep 20, 2020 12:32 pm
Thran answers, his voice calm but his eyes roving warily from the grizzly-looking scarecrows to the sacrificial altar:

"Who knows what ancient curses still hover in this evil place ? I guess we could try to approach and enter the circle, but I'd advise caution."
After a moment he adds: "Maybe tie a rope around my waist, if I am to step inside ? These tumuli are known to cave in..."

AshDrunbar sent a note to Valdus
Last edited September 20, 2020 12:34 pm
Sep 22, 2020 8:58 am
"Right," Belga replies with a nod, and takes a length of rope from her pack. She ties a loop with a rather ornate and substantive knot and tosses the looped end to Tharn. "This ought to do the trick." She plays out the length of it to give him freedom to move, then sets her feet, wraps the rope a few time around her forearm, and takes a firm grip.
Last edited September 22, 2020 8:58 am
Sep 22, 2020 8:20 pm
OOC:
Tis not an altar exactly just an elevated slab.

The tatters about the "scarecrows" flutter in the wind. Thran notices nothing but when he takes a step into the circle...
Nothing happens.
Sep 23, 2020 9:19 am
Still looking around warily, Thran will approach first the figures covered with rags, then the elevated stone slab.

"It doesn't look like there is anything for us here, besides rags, half-erased symbols of the crudest facture and some dried-up blood stain, probably a goat's or a pig's. Maybe this place is sacred to the tundra people and they were trying to protect it... but this is not the Tomb, not even close," he says dejectedly as he climbs across the small mound.
Sep 24, 2020 8:44 pm
The tattered gruesome scarecrows, cascade in the strong winds, dust collecting in eye sockets and ruined bone. Nothing happens, nothing happens at all. They are bothered about as much as the sky or the horizon are bothered by the presence of these sudden visit of people.
Sep 25, 2020 10:18 am
Once he reaches the top of the hill, the elf will scrutinize the horizon on all sides, see if he can spot any other signs of elevation across the frozen plains. "The tomb must be close, now..." he thinks, using his hand as a makeshift visor to block out the cold glare of the distant sun filtering through the clouds in a pale halo.

Rolls

Scanning the Horizon (INT) - (2d6+26)

(66) + 26 = 38

Sep 25, 2020 10:18 am
OOC:
double 6s, rolling again...

Rolls

Scanning, BONUS roll - (2d6)

(54) = 9

Sep 26, 2020 5:28 pm
Akki stands at the ready, hand on the hilt of his blade.
Sep 29, 2020 10:29 pm
Thran looks one way then the other, suddenly shocked at realizing that there is no more evidence needed. For the adventurers need not look for the Tomb...

They are stand ON the Tomb, the slab is obviously the entrance, the final seal of a life spent in conquest.
Sep 30, 2020 5:17 pm
The elf battle wizard calls out to his companions:

"Over here ! Help me lift that slab !"

All the while he keeps darting worried looks around the place: this felt too easy, the bedraggled figures and carved stones seemed to almost taunt him, beckoning as if daring the party to enter to their doom...

"Careful for tricks and traps," he warned them, "Warlord Axton was famed for his mischievious and cruel ways in life, I have reasons to believe his methods remain just as wicked, even long after His death... !"
Last edited September 30, 2020 7:08 pm
Oct 2, 2020 3:32 am
AshDrunbar says:
The elf battle wizard calls out to his companions:

"Over here ! Help me lift that slab !"

All the while he keeps darting worried looks around the place: this felt too easy, the bedraggled figures and carved stones seemed to almost taunt him, beckoning as if daring the party to enter to their doom...

"Careful for tricks and traps," he warned them, "Warlord Axton was famed for his mischievious and cruel ways in life, I have reasons to believe his methods remain just as wicked, even long after His death... !"
Akki approaches cautiously. He is wary, but eagerness to get out of the cold has given him some measure of false bravery...
Oct 5, 2020 6:24 pm
Belga cracks her knuckles and approaches the slab. "At least its something I can get my hands on. Ready lads?" Despite her bravado, she makes sure to loosen her weapons before she gets to the appointed spot.
Oct 10, 2020 2:14 am
KaeJae says:
Belga cracks her knuckles and approaches the slab. "At least its something I can get my hands on. Ready lads?" Despite her bravado, she makes sure to loosen her weapons before she gets to the appointed spot.
Akki moves to lend a hand, apprehensive, yet eager for whatever comes next. Perhaps it is a desire to forget the cold, rather than bravery or the thrill of adventure that guides his hand. But no matter.
Oct 19, 2020 9:02 am
OOC:
Okay good people,

It would seem the thread - as is sadly often the case - is dying an untimely death and is about to be buried as deep as the infamous tomb of our dear old Axton. I've tried to reach out to Valdus a few days ago but still haven't received an answer.

If this is it, I'd like to say it has been a pleasure, and hope to meet you all in other written-form endeavors. Until then, so long... !

FYI: I am currently designing / running a text-based major campaign, set in my own version of Faerûn (different timeline, geopolitics etc). Feel free to reach out to me through PM here, or on Discord if you want to know more (AshDrunbar#3628).
Last edited October 19, 2020 9:06 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.