The Void Between The Stars (game thread)

Oct 6, 2020 3:33 pm
It's cold, very cold around you. Then, the cold subsides and is replace by a comfortable warmth. Through your blurred vision and muffled hearing, you think you can see and hear and pressurized door open right in front of you. You take a tentative step out and enter into a dimly lit room bathed in red light. You feel weak and hungover. There is a constant noise drilling itself into your head, and as your mind clear, you recognize it as a ship alarm. Yes, a spaceship... You're aboard a spaceship... you think... Looking around, you see the chamber you came out of. A cryo chamber... yes, that sounds right... You were in cryo sleep. You also notice other people stepping out of their own cryo chambers. You are six in total, all of you in your underwear. Though there are members of the opposite sex present, you feel no embarrassment or awkwardness... you feel like you know those people... you trust them... but you can't remember their names... you can't remember your own name... And that darn alarm that keeps making your headache worse sure is not helping...
Oct 6, 2020 4:22 pm
What the-... head is killing me, he thinks, holding his temples, each piercing blast of the alarm drilling into his brain like an electric shock.
He looks around at the strange surroundings, at the cryo chamber, at the other people, not remembering any of that. Although... He must know these guys. One doesn't get in a room in his underwear in the company of complete strangers.

He staggers up on his feet, stiff after the (long?) cryo sleep and looks for monitors on the walls, displays, panels... anything that could tell him more about the alarm... and hopefully about how to deactivate the damn thing.

He scans the cryo room for lockers, feeling the need to put some clothes on.
Last edited October 6, 2020 4:33 pm
Oct 6, 2020 6:07 pm
He stumbles out of the cryo chamber. The shrieking alarm feels like it's drilling a hole into his head. He holds on to the door of the cryo chamber and dry heaves.
After his stomach has calmed down he looks at the others.
What the...!? What happened!? Where are we!? he bellows at the others but they all seem to be just as confused as he himself.
He looks up at the flashing red lights that blink in a common mode with the shrieking alarm. He squints his eyes.
Computer! Turn alarm into silent mode and give a status report. he yells. He feels like the computer should obey him.
If it has a voice processor.
OOC:
Just uploaded my char sheet to the game. I just need approval than I'll post as my character
Oct 6, 2020 8:02 pm
@ Dr_B: Looking around, you notice there seems to be some foot lockers at the base of your cryo chambers. There's what looke like a name plate on each of the foot lockers. You also notice 4 more cryo chambers. They are closed and empty of any occupant. Of those 4 empty cryo chambers, you notice 3 of them also have name tags on their corresponding foot lockers, leaving the last one blank. Hmm, where are the other 3 occupants? Turning around, you notice a monitor on the wall with a fold-out keyboard underneath. The screen has flared to live as words are flickering on the screen. At the moment you were about to go towards the monitor is when the tallest of the "strangers" suddenly yells to the computer to mute the alarm. There is no response. "Eh, no military tech here buddy, it's all done the old fashioned way..."

@ Scrol: You yell at the computer to silence the alarm, but it is still there, no response. You look around and notice everyone staring at you. Shit, you probably didn't helped with their headaches... "Hmm, so no voice recognition computers? This is not a military vessel... Civilian or merchant then?"
Oct 6, 2020 8:58 pm
Opening the chamber, I look around, lying still. Everything seems medical, and I don't want to pop stiches or yank an IV out. I check myself. My head aches, but I don't seem to be hooked up. I sit, sliding my feet onto the floor.

There are others. I don't remember them. I don't know where I am, other than in a cryo chamber. Deep space mission? When did I sign up for that? Must be a kidnapping, some kind of human trafficking gig for slave labor. "Did you enjoy your rum drinks, lads, you're in the Navy now!" I burst out, remembering an old comedy bit.

That was a mistake, my head hurts.
Oct 7, 2020 12:48 am
OOC:
Just submitted my character. Added that she has a prosthetic arm, since it fits in with both the art that I found and her background. Hopefully that's okay.
She wakes up, and immediately tries not to throw up, retching. Turns out she's not so good with cryosleep. Good thing her stomach was empty, as is customary for cryosleeping.

After she holds back her gagging, she looks around confusedly as she becomes aware of her amnesia. Around her are familiar looking strangers who are just as confused as her. One guy just shouted at the computer, and another just cracked a painfully unfunny joke. Combined with the blaring ship alarm, she was not having such a great time.

She raises her arm to scratch her head, but finds that it is missing.

She hops off out of the chamber, and checks the footlocker, noting the name label. Inside should be her mechanical arm, which should've been removed prior to cryosleep, although she doesn't remember what other contents the footlocker held, or anything else about her circumstances.
Oct 7, 2020 3:45 am
An alarm, a pounding head, shouting and loud laughter. Complete confusion and no ability to make sense of or remember anything. This must be a special place in hell, she thinks, curling her arms around herself, looking for some kind of comfort. As her eyes adjust to the light, she carefully leans against the cryo chamber and looks around at the others in the room. At least she has a strong sense that she knows them. Strangers in memory only is a lot better than complete unknowns.

She takes a deep breath and tries to focus. Clearly something is wrong with this vessel, but she can't pull together even fragments of knowledge. Is this what happens to your brain when you're woken out of cryo sleep early? Were they woken early? She hates this feeling of being lost, of not even having herself to rely on to see her through something. She does her best to push down the hopelessness that threatens to take hold, tries to stand taller and fake a level of confidence she doesn't feel.
Oct 7, 2020 6:52 am
He checks his and the others' name on the foot lockers, hoping it will spark some memories... Nothing. He opens his locker, to find clothes that fit him, a sturdy but well worn work outfit, and... Now THIS rings a bell, somewhere deep inside. A lower leg exoskeletal rig, with some ugly-looking work bots docked in each leg...

He runs his fingers on the scratched heavy duty metal of the bots chassis... Did I build these?

He wears the kit, the weight of the rig somewhat comforting. The damn alarm blare keeps drilling at his brains.

He rushes to the monitor and flips the keyboard open. He examines the on screen interface for messages regarding the nature of the alert.

"Hey folks... I don't know about you, but this alarm is killing me. There's a monitor here, let's see if we can disable it? "
OOC:
anything on screen that specifies the area/nature of the alarm?
Last edited October 7, 2020 9:55 am
Oct 7, 2020 1:53 pm
kalajel sent a note to Dr_B
Indeed, there is something on screen:

Warning!
Warning!

Ship pulled out of FTL Travel by unknown strong gravitational body.

Trace amounts of Hawking radiation detected.

Probability: 97.48333% of rogue wandering hypermass.

Estimated time to event horizon: Approximately 5 hours, at which point ship will be unable to
escape gravitational well.

Cryo Sleep interrupted.

Head to helm and manually move ship away from hypermass, then plot new FTL course to destination.

"Wait, hypermass? As in black hole? Oh shit... OH SHIT! This is bad!"
Oct 7, 2020 2:42 pm
OOC:
Are our names on the foot lockers?
Oct 7, 2020 3:35 pm
FoxRafer says:
OOC:
Are our names on the foot lockers?
Yes, if you look at yours, you'll notice your name tag says "Gaila Greyfox." Though, in the case of your character, your vision is blurry, and you had to lean in real close to see your name on the footlocker.
Oct 7, 2020 3:58 pm
"Oh shit oh shit oh shit... Hey, sleeping beauties! Guess what?" he calls out to get the others' attention. "Says here we have five hours before we get in what looks like a black hole gravitational field! Copy that? A FUCKING. BLACK. HOLE. So if one of you fellas can pilot a ship, better get your ass on deck NOW!"

He tries to call up the main interface of the computer system to try navigate his way to a ship floor plan.

"There's three more fridges that look recently occupied too. We might have some more folks awake," he says, pointing at the empty cryo chambers.

"Oh, I'm Squat, by the way. I remember shit all, but my name tag says it. And I look the part, I guess..." he adds to nobody in particular, pressing keys frantically.
Oct 7, 2020 4:13 pm
@ "Squat": You type on the keyboard to try and find some diagram of the ship. Sadly, your memory doesn't seem to have come back enough for you to remember how to do that... or even if it's possible from this particular terminal... Hopefully, you'll find directions somewhere...

kalajel sent a note to saevikas
Oct 7, 2020 4:19 pm
I check the foot locker near the cryo tube he woke in, seeing the others have some success. Maybe the clothes fitting will confirm it's the right gear for me. He checks the name, as well, and rifles through "his belongings."

"Okay, we better hurry people, someone find a map to the helm, would you? We must chart course for our destiny before we are swallowed by the abyss." His voice is little lilted in a Spanish twirl.
Oct 7, 2020 4:39 pm
Dimitra Christos, as her footlocker indicated, puts on the uniform she found in her footlocker. As she does so, she addresses the others.

"Dimitra Christos. Am I right in assuming that everyone here is suffering from amnesia?"
Oct 7, 2020 6:14 pm
Frederick Lindswirth, feels right... the captain mumbles as he reads the tag on his locker and opens it.
A freshly ironed captain's uniform is found in it, complete with the according insignias and a captain's hat.
Seems like I was... AM the captain here. Frederick Lindswirth seems to be my name. Frederick says to the others while dressing up.
He turns to Dimitria
I can't remember anything about how I got here. But I do remember that black holes are to be taken seriously. Keep looking for a map, Mr. Squat. I'll check for a way out of here
Frederick let's his gaze wander around the room and searches for one or more exits from this room
Last edited October 7, 2020 6:15 pm
Oct 7, 2020 7:51 pm
kalajel sent a note to Scrol
kalajel sent a note to Qralloq
Oct 7, 2020 9:40 pm
Sliding in the one-piece uniform, he shuts the locker. Watching Lindswirth, he tries to determine if he's the kind that respects or seizes authority, but neither feel right.

"Are you having any of the luck, Captain?"
Oct 7, 2020 10:02 pm
saevikas says:
"Dimitra Christos. Am I right in assuming that everyone here is suffering from amnesia?"
"You bet. Can't even recall why I'm on a spaceship. Or if this name tag is mine."
Scrol says:
Keep looking for a map, Mr. Squat. I'll check for a way out of here
"Trying my best, boss. Can barely remember how to type"

He tries to re-learn the display interface, looking for menu-submenu structures, to see if he can at least discern the logic behind the software. He glances at the names on the foot lockers of the three empty cryo chambers, to try and look them up on the computer system in any typeable search field.
Oct 7, 2020 10:09 pm
@ Scrol: There is a single door which leads out of this room, so the way out is pretty straightforward and obvious.

@ Dr_B: You look at the other three names on the footlockers of the empty pods: "Siri Ahlgren", "Joseph Cole", and "Pierre Cheung". You then get back to the terminal. Give me a 5x5 roll for navigating this unintuitive and outdated system.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.