The Void Between The Stars (game thread)

load previous
Oct 7, 2020 11:30 pm
"come on come on COME ON!" he tries to make sense of the user interface.

Rolls

5x5 roll - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (3) = 3

1d6 : (4) = 4

Oct 8, 2020 1:42 pm
OOC:
12, that's a failure.
Sadly you don't seem to be getting anywhere. Well, not anywhere significantly important. It feels like you're running around in circles here.
OOC:
Think calling some place with an automated phone response, and none of the options given seems to quite correspond to what you need...
It,s like you can,t think straight right now, and that fucking alarm sure isn't helping... However, you did managed to get the crew manifest:

Anna McGregor: Ship doctor, cook.
Dimitra Christos: Mining technician, ship pilot.
Frederick Lindswirth: Ship captain.
Gaila Greyfox: Geologist.
Joseph Cole: Security officer, cook.
Lorenzo Ramos: Mining technician, assistant mechanic.
Pierre Cheung: Supervisor, mining technician.
Sam McGinnis: Mechanic, remote control operator.
Siri Ahlgren: Nurse, communications officer.

You also find out where each people's quarters are. Seems the captain, the doctor, and the pilot each have their own individual room at the front of the ship on deck 3, while the rest of you share a room, 2 per room, on deck 1. Sam and Pierre in one room, Lorenzo and Joseph in another, and Gaila and Siri in another.

While interesting, none of that information really helps you with your current predicament...
Oct 8, 2020 3:49 pm
Qralloq says:

"Are you having any of the luck, Captain?"
One door leads out of here. Hopefully it's unlocked. Frederick answers.
He approaches the doorway and attempts to open it.
Oct 8, 2020 3:56 pm
Ramos, as he decides, he will be called, goes to the door as well. "I'm Ramos, by the way. Let's see if we can get that open, by industry or by force."
Oct 8, 2020 4:06 pm
He will share the information with the others.
"No map... but I found a crew roster, fellows... looks like... Dimitra is our pilot... and the empty cryo chambers were Security, a Mining supervisor, and our Comms officer"
[ +- ] crew list
"Oh, and I know where we all sleep, so check with me before you rush to get the fancy rooms!" he adds

He turns to Dimitra, "you DO remember how to control this thing, right?..."
Last edited October 8, 2020 4:08 pm
Oct 8, 2020 4:08 pm
Looking over the shoulder of Squat, Dimitra notes the roles pulled up. Notably, she's the ship's pilot, meaning that she's the one who's going to have to redirect the ship.

Sighing in anxiety, she heads out of the room in search of something that looked like a bridge.
Oct 9, 2020 1:53 am
Anna wakes up to the lights and sirens. She is disoriented, but her first thought is.

Don't panic, it is just cryo sickness.

How the hell do I know that?

She sees the others looking as confused as she feels. Working her way to the footlocker that looks like it should be hers she sees...

DR. ANNA MCGREGOR

Hmmmm. Doctor? Medical or science? Maybe that 9s why I know what cryo sickness is.

She finds a suit of clothes, like the others, it has a name...her name...on it.

By the looks on everyone's faces, I assume that I am not the only one lost.

I think I am a doctor, maybe if we find the medbay I will be able to help.
Oct 9, 2020 3:50 pm
OOC:
@ Dimitra: Well, technically, the captain should also be able to pilot the ship. One usually does not become a captain without knowing his or her way around a ship... It's just that normally, the captain is too busy with other duties to be piloting a ship full-time...
@ Frederick & Lorenzo: The pad next to the door is flashing green... green is good, right?. Using your keycard (which you all had in addition of what I listed in your individual notes) make the door slide open, revealing a narrow, claustrophobic corridor beyond. Luck is with you as there seem to be a sign on the wall indicating that the helm is to your right (along with the infirmary, leisure room, the officers' quarters and facilities). The same sign indicates that going left will lead you to the laboratory, engineering, showers, mechanic's workshop, trash incinerator and some more facilities instead. Finally, it also indicates that either directions will work in leading you to the crew quarters, escape pods, cargo pods, kitchen and mess hall and hydroponics...

kalajel sent a note to Machiabelly
kalajel sent a note to FoxRafer
Oct 9, 2020 3:57 pm
Anna gets everyone's attention and shows them the hearing aid.

The battery is dead, you are going to have to get my attention and speak loudly and clearly until I get this fixed.

She holds up the first aid kit.

If anyone else is experiencing nausea, I should be able to help.
Oct 9, 2020 4:37 pm
Thank you doctor, I'm currently fine! Frederick loudly says the Anna.
Frederick musters the sign and harrumpfs.
Well, looks like the way is clear. Let's get to the helm and the ship out of here he states and walks right
Oct 9, 2020 4:48 pm
Squat flips the wall monitor keyboard closed, then follows the others, putting his bots into charge in the docking stations attached to the rig around his lower legs.
"Still don't know the relevance of this detail... but my two bots here are at 20 percent charge, which I think is unusual, after a standard cryo sleep... wonder for how long we slept, for them to discharge... "
Oct 9, 2020 5:07 pm
Ramos, who is apparently a mechanic, thinks he should probably review the ships systems. As they follow the marker and head for the helm, he says, "I'll check the systems status from the computer consoles." Is that right? I don't know what kind of interface we'll find. Maybe it's all thought controlled.

He thinks hard. Ship, report status of ship, sort descending from most critical items.
Oct 9, 2020 5:54 pm
After hearing the doctor speak, Dimitra self evaluates, and finds that the nausea has mostly passed. After confirming that she wouldn't need any medical attention, Dimitra wastes no time in going to the helm, adjusting the fit of her mechanical arm as she walks.
Oct 9, 2020 5:58 pm
Unsure about splitting up, but curious to see if a familiar environment may spur her memory.

I am going to head to the medical bay.
Oct 11, 2020 9:59 pm
The bridge doesn't feel like where she belongs. Apparently she's a geologist; she imagines she would spend most of her time either collecting or analyzing samples. In any event, none of that is going to come in handy given their current predicament.

"I'll go with you to medical, Doctor. Maybe I can help get things in order."
Oct 11, 2020 10:57 pm
OOC:
do we have personal communicators in our possession, to call each other?
Oct 11, 2020 11:29 pm
OOC:
@ Dr_B: Nope.
You make your way out of the cryo chambers room and towards the bridge (for most of you) or towards the infirmary (for the rest of you). The corridor is narrow and claustrophobic, only allowing you to move through one at a time. Conduits, wires, and reinforcement buttresses run along the wall. This ship must be old. Like pre FTL drive old. It was probably refitted later with an FTL drive. If you're flying this, you're either one or more of the following: Courageous; Foolish; Have some sort of death wish; Or you're being paid handsomely...

Eventually, the corridor takes a strange turn before revealing a spiral staircase going up and down. In front of you is the infirmary. This is the end of the line for two of you. The rest of you climb up another two decks before reaching the helm.

The trip must have taken but a handful of minutes, but it felt much more longer to you, what with the occasional dizziness, fit of dry heaving, episodes of blurred vision, etc.

@ the infirmary: Ana and Gaila enter the infirmary. You see what you'd expect out of an infirmary: a few beds, some sort of operating table, a desk, a chair, a pharmacy full of medications and drugs, medical instruments neatly tucked away... What sticks out however are three cryo tubes. Smaller version of cryo chambers, used for conserving dead bodies, hence why the smaller, more compact design as there are no need for any sort of life support. By the silhouette underneath the condensation-covered glass, they seem to be occupied. Could you have found your three missing crew members? Also, it seem there were space and connections for another two cryo tubes. However, you have no way of knowing if they were simply never installed or later removed...

@ the helm: You make your way to the helm. The door slides open, and you notice a few stations: Piloting station, Comms, Weapons control, Life support, even a stellar map near the center of the helm. To the left of the door, there seem to be a sort of locker, but it looks like it was broken into, judging by the smashed card lock, wide opened doors, the empty content, and the slightly dented fire extinguisher lying next to it on the ground. What happened here?
Oct 12, 2020 12:05 am
Anna doesn't spend time immediately checking the smaller tubes, since she wouldn't recognize them anyway.

She looks for batteries for her hearing aid, and then check the most recent medical updates to see if anything is in there that explains the longer sleep.
Oct 12, 2020 12:11 am
The broken locker definitely worried her, as it implied that someone else is on the ship, someone who didn't have the access rights to whatever was in the locker. However, she had a more pressing role to fulfill.

Dimitra heads to the map in the middle to get a bearing for where they are, and get a gist of what maneuvers she would need to take in order to avoid getting caught by the supermass. Afterwards, she'll head to the piloting station and try to work her magic.
Oct 12, 2020 12:28 am
@ Anna: Well, if you are really a doctor, you would spend a lot of time here, and it would make sense for you to leave some spare batteries for your hearing aid in here... You decide the desk would be the most logical place. You search for a while and finally find one. Spending time here conjures shadows of familiarity in your mind. Yes, you used to spend a lot of time here... The memories are still a bit hazy though... You start searching some more, for an explanation on your prolonged cryo sleep, but can't seem to find anything.

(what is the recommended amount of weeks suggested for a sae cryo sleep, and at how many weeks do you start suffering from cryo sleep sickness?)

However, you do find some reports you penned. They seems to be record of autopsies performed on whomever are in those cryo tubes...

@ Dimitra: You make your way towards the map to see it is a stellar map depicting the various systems humankind has colonized, which faction is controlling those systems, and estimated time of FTL travel between each system, and on which courses can be plotted. Nothing local or which could be useful in maneuvering away from the hypermass... But wait, that's strange: This map shows you were leaving an EU mining colony and heading back to the Sol system. However, somewhere mid travel, your course was change to another system, not under EU control...

(What is the name of this system and which non-EU faction controls it?)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.