The Void Between The Stars (game thread)

load previous
Oct 12, 2020 1:49 am
Dimitra rubs her chin as she examines the map.

"Interesting. We've gone off course. We were apparently supposed to return to the Sol system, but we're on a course change towards one of the NAC's systems."

She squints as she checks out the name.

"Kappa Roosevelt? Never heard of it."

She decides that details, such as the composition of the solar system and the reason for the course change, can wait until the more pressing matter of the hypermass is resolved. Giving her neck a good crack, she heads to the piloting station.
Oct 12, 2020 2:24 am
OOC:
I still don't have the option to post in character.
Putting the batteries in and inserting the hearing aid makes thing a little easier.
Anna wracks her brain for any memories on cryo sleep.

Maybe 6 months would be the most without waking up for awhile. Yeah that sounds right. Any time up to 9 months can give nausea, getting worse as 6ou go on.

She reads the autopsies. Who are they, and more importantly, what killed them.
Oct 12, 2020 8:48 am
Squat heads to the Life Support station, to look at logged status changes and check if there wasn't an obvious malfunction that might put their lives at risk. If he remembers how, he will run a full diagnostic of the LS systems.

"Gimme some good news... or at least some mildly bad ones that I can fix..." he mumbles at the displays, holding his breath.
Oct 12, 2020 1:39 pm
Ramos had been certain there would be an engineering terminal in the helm but the consoles seem dedicated to other utilities. He goes to the Comm terminal and attempts to activate it. His first thought is to find a readout of the ships physical status, but otherwise to activate the intercom.
Oct 12, 2020 5:13 pm
@ Dimitra: Give me a 5x5 roll.

@ Anna:
OOC:
Yeah, sorry about that. I still can't see your submitted character. I've brought the issue up in the bugs section. Keleth will try and have a look at it once he has time...
Yeah, it comes back to you now. 6 months is considered the limit for safe cry sleep duration. Anything past that, and your risk of suffering from cryo sleep sickness increases dramatically. This is why the normal procedure is a period of 4 to 5 months of cry sleep, then waking up the crew for a couple of days so they can get a little something to eat, walk around and exercise to avoid muscle atrophy. Past the 9 months mark, the symptoms of cryo sleep sickness gets much more pronounced, with temporary amnesia being the worst symptom... This mean you were in cryo sleep for at least 9 months, probably more... This is very unusual. Well the good news is that your memories should gradually come back in the next few days, the bat news is that you have a little less than 5 hours left to deal with this hypermass problem before you're all turned into spaghetti...

kalajel sent a note to Machiabelly
@ Squat: You search the logs for the cryo chambers. It seems Dimitra had awakened early and went back to cryo sleep almost immediately. An inspection run? You then notice that a whole bunch of data has been erased maybe a month or two after Dimitra's returning to cryo sleep. Looks like somebody else was up and busy...

@ Lorenzo: You give the ship's intercoms a try, they do seem to work (those in infirmary will hear your test and be able to respond to confirm the intercom system works...).
Oct 12, 2020 5:28 pm
OOC:
Rolling.

Rolls

1d6, 1d6

1d6 : (3) = 3

1d6 : (6) = 6

Oct 12, 2020 6:04 pm
"I'm headed for engineering. Make sure the engines are online."

He leaves the helm in a hurry, and rushes at a jog for the engine control room. I hope there are better readouts there, and that I remember what they mean!
Oct 12, 2020 7:15 pm
Frederick observes how everyone is eager to find out the ship's status. He think about what he can do.
The logs.... he mumbles I surely kept logs. I can't be sure but I feel like I'd do this.
Frederick stumbles over the bridge, still nauseous from the cryosleep.
He looks for the captain's chair and a console that will possibly grant access to the ship's logs
Oct 12, 2020 7:54 pm
@ Dimitra: A 0, that's a success! You sit into the pilot's chair, grab the controls, and look out the diamond reinforced windows (well, at least you hope they're diamond reinforced windows, you're pretty sure you've heard some horror stories about less sturdy glass types) to try and spot the hypermass. In front of you, off starboard, you see distortions in the stars' light. Yeah, this feels natural, you've done this before. Slowly, you give the ship a gentle tug towards port, giving it some thrust, turning it away from the hypermass... Or at least, this is what you're sure should have happened... The ship is not responding. No, you did everything right! As you start checking out your station, this is when you notice it, a small panel under the controls looks loose...

@ Lorenzo: You leave your station to make your way towards engineering. Getting up you notice two things on the wall: A big picture of all of you, plus three people you do not recognize... The missing crew members perhaps? Looks like it was taken on some space stations or colony, there are a lot of plants in the picture as well... And a ship's diagram. You doubt it is in scale, but it is still better than walk around guessing your way. Looks like to go to engineering, you need to go down one or two decks (engineering seems to take two decks), then head to the back of the ship.

@ Frederick: You sit in the captain's chair and start going through your logs on the captain's chair datapad. Seems like you're a simple mining/prospecting vessel. You were mining in some system and now that you filled your cargo holds with ores and minerals you were heading back to Earth and deliver your cargo to the EU for processing and manufacturing...

kalajel sent a note to Scrol
(So what is the name of the star system where you were mining? And what is the name of this vessel?)
Oct 12, 2020 8:08 pm
Anna flips on the intercom.

We need to have a meeting. Three of our team are dead, and...well, we need to have a meeting.

I know time is of the essence, but if we could get together for a quick thing...come to medical please.
Oct 12, 2020 8:43 pm
Frederick gives Lorenzo a stern look as he leaves the helm. He closes the log and locks the captain's console. Just as he wants to inquire about wether Dimitra is able to bring the ship out of the black hole's sphere of influence Anna talks over the intercom.

Dead!? That's not good. I'll come down to you in a few minutes. We'll just give the ship a nudge to steer it away from the black hole. Frederick replies.
Ms. Christos. I don't feel the ship moving. Is the propulsion system working?
OOC:
The ship came from the binary star system Gamma Cephei and is called 'Neptuno'
Frederick will announce his findings at the meeting with Anna
Oct 12, 2020 10:08 pm
Ramos dashes down two flights and them aft to the engineering section. An invisible clock counts on his head. Every second they approach the singularity, the more power will be required to divert their trajectory. He goes there is time.

Entering the engineering department he claps his nauseous gut, and takes stock of the equipment, hoping it makes sense to his sickened brain.
Oct 13, 2020 6:50 pm
"Hang on Captain, something's not quite right with this station."

She inspects the loose panel to see what's wrong with the piloting station.
Oct 13, 2020 7:05 pm
@ Anna: Hmm, looks like something is going on in the bridge if the news of murdered crew mates has not phased them that much...

@ Dimitra: You open the panel and look inside. 4 vital components which allow you to steer the ship are missing! Sabotage! (what 4 components are missing? Feel free to go crazy with your techno babble!)

@ Frederick: While waiting for Dimitra's report, you continue browsing through your log. You do find mentions of the dead crew members and understand Anna's insistence for the meeting.

kalajel sent a note to Scrol
@ Lorenzo: When you open the door to engineering your jaw drops. You've never seen such a mess of machinery, pipes, conduits, vents, wires (well, maybe you have, you just don't remember...). If you felt the corridors were claustrophobic to navigate, this maze-like mess is much more worse. This definitely confirms the theory that this ship was an old pre-FTL ship later refitted to have an FTL drive. And they made sure to use as much space as available during the refit! Now, you only need to find your way through this mechanical maze... Make a 5x5 roll.
Oct 13, 2020 7:44 pm
Ramos shakes his head, ignoring the subconscious recognition of the tech for now. He knows things so he'll try and use those things to evaluate their condition.

Rolls

5x5 roll - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (3) = 3

1d6 : (1) = 1

Oct 13, 2020 8:52 pm
Dimitra reports the state of the station to Frederick.

"Somebody sabotaged the pilot station. They tore out the graphene subcomparator, the stabilizer lode, the twin Hallite hardfuses, and the main wireframe loop. I can't steer the ship without those parts."
Oct 13, 2020 9:16 pm
Gaila moves over to the chambers and gently rests a hand on the one closest to her. "Does it say how they died?" she asks, certain the cryo sleep isn't the only reason she feels sick anymore. "Or how long?" It feels almost silly to mourn for people she can't remember. Nevertheless, the weight of these deaths sit heavily on her.

She shakes her head and frowns. "I feel pretty useless. Is there anything I can do to help you? Would it be better if I lent a hand in engineering?"
Oct 13, 2020 10:16 pm
Dammit! Frederick slams his fist onto the armrest of his chair.
Okay. Someone sabotaged us. We better go meet with Anna. Maybe we can work out some clues together. I doubt that the parts were blown out the airlock. They are certainly hidden
Frederick activates the intercom
Mr Lorenzo. If you find any or all of the following things down there it would be greatly appreciated. A graphene subcomparator, a stabilizer lode, twin Hallite hardfuses, and a main wireframe loop. Without those parts we won't fly anywhere so I think a bit of hurry is in order.
Frederick stands up and heads down to the infirmary beckoning Dimitra to join him.
When he enters the infirmary he takes a woeful look at the cryo chambers with the dead bodies in it.
I found the ship's log and some clues. Apparently we are onboard the EU mining vessel Neptuno. We were on the way back to Sol from Gamma Cephei. So I guess the cargo hold will be full of minerals.
He points at the cryo chambers.
These three are Siri Ahlgren, Joseph Cole and Pierre Cheung. The first died of respiratory failure, Joseph was blown out of the airlock which was ruled an accident until Mr. Cheung was murdered.
He looks at the others and makes a deep breath.
The piloting system was sabotaged and we are currently sitting ducks. I really hate to say this but either one of us is a traitor or we have an unknown guest onboard. Anyway we should keep our eyes peeled and be very alert. I don't think there is reason for paranoia though. Although it doesn't look good I can see that we all give our best to escape this situation. We will steer this ship away from the black hole and then we'll deal with the rest.
Frederick adresses Anna Any findings on your side?
Oct 13, 2020 10:33 pm
He follows the Captain to the Infirmary.
To his detailed account, he will only add what he found on the Life Support station logs:
"It seems Dimitra had awakened early and went back to cryo sleep almost immediately. And a whole bunch of data has been erased maybe a month or two after Dimitra's returning to cryo sleep. Looks like somebody else was up and busy... data doesn't erase itself."
Oct 13, 2020 10:36 pm
OOC:
I assume Squat will also follow...

Edit: Oh, you posted while I was making this post...
So you are all reunited in the infirmary, minus Lorenzo still poking around engineering. The situation was put to you rather bluntly: 3 of your crew mates are dead. At least one was murdered, and the ship's controls were sabotaged... It is entirely possible one of you here is a traitor and a murderer, problem is, would you even know if it was you?

@ Lorenzo: You start poking around, picking one passage at random to start your search. You'd like to say you know where you're going, but after a point, all those conduits and bundles of wires and pieces of machinery start all looking alike... You then hear captain Frederick's voice coming from the ship's intercom telling you about the ship's missing components. You rush to the nearest intercom you spot in the hopes of answering him, but that's when you trip on something. You turn around to see what it was and you find a small metal box, lying on the ground, which is a bit bigger than your average shoe box. Looks like it was tucked underneath some piping, but was sticking out a bit, and that's what caught your foot. You open it thinking this might be your lucky day and that you've already found one of the missing components...

kalajel sent a note to Qralloq
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.