Part 3: The Spider's Web

load previous
Aug 31, 2016 5:39 pm
Stormsong returns with his information.
"If we want to know more, we have to deal with the zombies. If none of you have been given power over the undead by a holy order, then I'd suggest picking off as many as we can from a distance, then have some fun! Bows first, javelins second, magic whenever?"
Aug 31, 2016 5:46 pm
"Sounds good," says Kama, rising to his feet and drawing Talon. "I'll keep an eye on that tent and make ready for any charge. Sorry, but I didn't think to get a bow back in Phandalin."
Aug 31, 2016 5:56 pm
Stormsong prepares his javelins and replies, ""Never did get the hang of a bow."

He moves up to get within his 30' range, if possible without moving past the cover of the ruined wall, and waits for Xora's first arrow. He throws her a wink as a signal and in an effort to inspire her aim (bardic inspiration 1d6). He'll throw and retreat to keep range attacking, assuming the zombies give chase, until it's time to engage.
Last edited August 31, 2016 5:57 pm
Sep 2, 2016 5:19 am
"Those bows back in town are as good as these old walls. I'll show you a bow, the one I'm making will be quite special."

The forest gnome keeps his distance from the zombies. He agreed with the half-orc that the tent was oddly placed. Thinking to stir the pot of undead, Gimblyn spoke a few words and aimed a fire bolt for the brightly colored tent.

"This should distract them, I swear."

Rolls

Fire Bolt to hit - (1d20+6)

(10) + 6 = 16

damage - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Sep 2, 2016 4:30 pm
As everyone gets ready to combat the zombie menace, Gimblyn launches a bolt of fire at the tent. The blaze spreads quickly, and also alerts the zombies to your presence. They begin shambling toward you and then you notice a red-robed man stumble out of the tent, coughing. He has pale skin and a shaved head, with some sort of black tattoo on his forehead.

"What is the meaning of this interruption?" he shouts as he sees you.
Sep 2, 2016 6:14 pm
Kama narrows his eyes, stepping forward to present the first line of defense against the oncoming zombies and the robed man. His longsword is ready to be put to use should the zombies continue their approach, and he spends some time studying this individual that apparently does not fear the undead.

Rolls

Investigation? - (1d20-1)

(12) - 1 = 11

Sep 4, 2016 4:57 am
"I look forward to seeing this bow you're crafting." I respectfully nod my head towards Gimblyn before wordlessly handing my two javelins over to Kama. I notch an arrow and aim it at the robed figure. I wait to see whether he will make a move against us before I release the arrow.

I call out to him. "Who are you and why have you camped here with these undead creatures?"

Rolls

Held action- fire arrow - (1d20+7, 1d8+3)

1d20+7 : (8) + 7 = 15

1d8+3 : (8) + 3 = 11

Insight - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Sep 4, 2016 6:06 am
"My name is Harman Kost, and I am merely here to unravel the mysteries of this ancient place," he says, sounding like he sounds quite highly of himself.

Kama realized that the red robes might indicate that he has an association with the notorious Red Wizards of Thay. He doesn't know a huge amount about them except that they have a very bad reputation.
Sep 4, 2016 8:37 am
"I think he's a wizard," says Kama in a low voice. "Mind his hands, especially since it's looking like he's to blame for all this." The half-orc steps forward, javelins in one hand. He calls out to the man, "You run with strange creatures, Kost. You the one bothering all the folk from these parts?"
Sep 6, 2016 3:09 am
Gimblyn keeps quiet after hurling his fire bolt. His bubbly eyes wander as his mind figures out what this wizard is capable of.

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Sep 6, 2016 3:49 pm
"I've bothered no one that didn't bother me," he says with a scoff, "I've claimed this area for the time being, and once I've unlocked its secrets, I will be on my way.

Gimblyn recognizes the tattoo on the man's forehead as a necromantic symbol. You've heard of the practice before, but it's very rare for a wizard to mark himself with his primary school of study.
Sep 6, 2016 5:41 pm
Stormsong will hold his javelins during parlay, unless the zombies begin moving our way.

"Your foul minions have no place in this peaceful region, nor I might add, anywhere on this plane. It is our business to ensure that you 'be on your way' sooner than later"

Rolls

Held action Javelin, damage - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

1d6+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Intimidate - (1d20+7)

(14) + 7 = 21

Sep 7, 2016 8:55 pm
"I have important work to do here, and I have no intention of leaving," He growls, "Now, if you don't want to help, you can leave me in peace!"
Sep 7, 2016 9:09 pm
"Quick question," says Kama, counting up the number of zombies in the area. "These helpers of yours wouldn't happen to be some prospectors that have passed through the area, would they?"
Sep 7, 2016 9:12 pm
"I have no time to chase prospectors around the mountains, fool. There are always bodies to be raised into service if only you look around," he says, sneering.
Sep 7, 2016 9:14 pm
To his group, "What an odd turn of a phrase, 'if you don't want to help'. I wonder..."

To the grumpy gentleman in red, "What sort of assistance would you need to get you on your way more quickly?"
Last edited September 7, 2016 9:27 pm
Sep 8, 2016 4:08 pm
"That's much better, finally showing the proper respect," he says, obviously very proud of himself for having cowed the intruders.

"As you may know, there is a banshee in the woods to the north of Conyberry, and I have been hoping to go and visit her to have her answer a question for me, but I've not had the time. You will visit her and get the answer to a simple question for me. 'What was the name of the wizard who built this tower?'"
Sep 8, 2016 4:21 pm
"And what is your payment for the answer to this question?" asks Kama. "You look smart enough to know that such arcane answers aren't free."
Sep 9, 2016 8:42 pm
OOC:
You all remember that Agatha said she wouldn't answer any more questions for you, by the way
"I have items of value that I could trade for the answers, of course," he says in response.
Sep 10, 2016 3:03 am
"All right, well, bring 'em out!" Kama says. "We'll need 'em up front before we ask, 'cause she ain't gonna answer first."
load next

Thread locked