Part 3: The Spider's Web

load previous
Sep 10, 2016 11:31 am
"Well, I swear, I heard stories of this place before..." the forest gnome skips forward a little examining the red wizard more thoroughly. His awkward bug-eyes made him seem harmless, even when breaking personal space. "An old druid friend of mine, Conanthum, used to live near these parts. He has recently waddled somewhere north, too warm for him here. Doesn't like anything green, I swear." Gimblyn waddles around imitating what his druid friend would look like, pretending to be repulsed by anything green. "Conan, my good friend, had told me that this place was built under the influence of a Bone Naga...." He paused for dramatic effect. "I know! Haha, just thinking about that creature scares me. I wouldn't want to dabble in too much of it's stuff, if it is still around." The gnome starts swinging his small staff around like he has lost interest in his own ramble then looks at the wizard again. "But, yeah... I swear, this banshee is a bugger. 'Mad auld lassie!' We can get answers for you though, wizard."

Tumtwig hops himself closer to Kama now.
Last edited September 10, 2016 11:33 am
Sep 12, 2016 3:48 pm
Kost looks you up and down, as if deciding whether to trust you or not, "Wait here," he says, walking back to what's left of his tent.

He comes outside with a fine wand made of yew. "She is purportedly a spellcaster of no small skill and will appreciate this gift. I just want to know the name of the wizard who built this tower," he say, handing the wand over.
OOC:
It is a wand of Magic Missiles:

This wand has 7 charges. While holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 or more of its charges to cast the magic missile spell from it. For 1 charge, you cast the 1st-level version of the spell. You can increase the spell slot level by one for each additional charge you expend.

The wand regains 1d6 + 1 expended charges daily at dawn. If you expend the wand’s last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, the wand crumbles into ashes and is destroyed.
Sep 12, 2016 4:17 pm
Naatkinson says:
OOC:
You all remember that Agatha said she wouldn't answer any more questions for you, by the way
OOC:
Would that also apply to Xora since she wasn't in there?
Last edited September 12, 2016 4:18 pm
Sep 12, 2016 4:30 pm
Kama mutters under his breath for the benefit of the group, "It ain't right, having these folk shambling around under this guy's control. Focus fire on the red robe." He plants Xora's two javelins into the ground by the group, perhaps a gesture to the Red Wizard, and touches the coin around his neck. "Be bold, and Tymora watch over us."

Gripping his sword, the half-orc strides with intent purpose over to Kost. When he is almost at the point of accepting Kost's gift, Kama whips Talon up and over to remove the wizard's hand from his body.
OOC:
Casting Bless upon Gimblyn, Xora, and himself (sorry, Stormsong). Each gets a d4 to use on any attack roll or saving throw made within the next minute.

Rolls

Talon vs Kost, Bless - (1d20+6, 1d4)

1d20+6 : (6) + 6 = 12

1d4 : (3) = 3

Damage - (1d10+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Sep 12, 2016 4:42 pm
Moofsalot says:
Naatkinson says:
OOC:
You all remember that Agatha said she wouldn't answer any more questions for you, by the way
OOC:
Would that also apply to Xora since she wasn't in there?
OOC:
They may have told you about it after the fact
Kost is in the process of handing the wand over when Talon removes his hand at the wrist, dropping the wand and Kost's detached appendage to the ground.

He stares at you in blank amazement for a moment before shouting, "Get them!" Order given, he disengages from Kama and steps behind the horde of now-hostile zombies. You can now barely see him, and he is under three-quarters cover. Kama is nearly surrounded by the zombies and several others are approaching the rest of the group.
OOC:
Kama is surrounded (6 zombies) and the other six are moving toward the rest of you. That's the beginning of the combat, next post will be the zombies' turn.
Sep 12, 2016 4:44 pm
Kama is assaulted by the zombies, but miraculously only one of them lands a solid blow (4 damage).

The rest of the zombies close the distance to the rest of the party, two of them on each of you.

Xora isn't prepared and takes a couple of hits (6 and 2 damage), but Giblym and Stormsong are able to avoid the attacks.
Sep 12, 2016 6:26 pm
Cmbrian says:
Stormsong will hold his javelins during parlay, unless the zombies begin moving our way.

"Your foul minions have no place in this peaceful region, nor I might add, anywhere on this plane. It is our business to ensure that you 'be on your way' sooner than later"

Rolls
Held action Javelin, damage - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)
1d20+5 - ( 4 ) + 5 = 9
1d6+3 - ( 4 ) + 3 = 7
OOC:
did Stormsong get to throw a readied javelin as the zombies approached?
After fending off the zombie attacks, he swings his longsword.
Last edited September 12, 2016 6:28 pm

Rolls

Longsword, damage - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (7) + 5 = 12

1d8+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

Sep 12, 2016 6:37 pm
OOC:
Sorry, missed that when writing their turn!
Just as the zombies begin moving toward him, Stormsong throws a javelin, hitting a zombie in the chest. After avoiding the attacks, he takes another chunk out of that zombie with his longsword.
Sep 13, 2016 12:13 pm
I line up as many zombies as I can, releasing a familiar electrical energy as I keep an eye out for the wizard.

Rolls

Lightning breath- DC 12 - (2d6)

(12) = 3

Sep 13, 2016 3:27 pm
Gimblyn hops backwards to avoid being attacked again, his little legs took springy steps. The forest gnome waved his staff to quickly generate three glowing darts. He targets each zombie near Kama and lets his magic fly. Tumtwig feels the spell flow wildly from his body and into the world, he can't seem to control his energy yet.
OOC:
Ah, sorry about that.
Last edited September 16, 2016 2:14 am

Rolls

Magic Missle - Twinned Spell (1st level + 2 Sorc Point) - (1d4+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Wild Magic - (1d20)

(2) = 2

other two darts - (1d4+1, 1d4+1)

1d4+1 : (3) + 1 = 4

1d4+1 : (1) + 1 = 2

Sep 13, 2016 4:11 pm
OOC:
Magic Missile is 1d4+1 for each dart, and twinned spell only works on spells that only have 1 target
Sep 16, 2016 2:14 am
OOC:
I edited my post
Sep 16, 2016 9:28 pm
OOC:
Much appreciated! Just waiting on Kama to act :)
Sep 17, 2016 1:02 am
Kama curses as the wizard retreats, and pursuit blocked by the undead. His orcish blood surges through his veins and he tries to hack his way through and whittle down the zombies.

Rolls

Talon vs zombie, damage - (1d20+6, 1d10+4)

1d20+6 : (5) + 6 = 11

1d10+4 : (10) + 4 = 14

Action surge Talon vs zombie, damage - (1d20+6, 1d10+4)

1d20+6 : (1) + 6 = 7

1d10+4 : (4) + 4 = 8

Blessed, Twice - (1d4, 1d4)

1d4 : (1) = 1

1d4 : (4) = 4

Sep 17, 2016 2:28 am
OOC:
Don't forget -- Kama is Blessed!

...oops. No more late night posts for me...
Last edited September 17, 2016 5:02 pm
Sep 19, 2016 3:53 pm
Xora's breath weapon catches four of the zombies in it's area, shocking them and making their scraggly hairs stand on end.
OOC:
Both on her are damaged and two on Kama
Gimblyn's magical bolts strike the zombies surrounding Kama.

Kama lands a very solid blow on one of the zombies around him, then catches it again on the backswing, dropping it to the ground.
OOC:
5 zombies on Kama, 2 on everyone else

Their turn next post!
Sep 19, 2016 4:45 pm
The zombies on Kama all strike out at him, two of them landing blows (6 and 4 damage)

Stormsong is struck hard by one of the zombies (7 damage), but the other, still reeling from his attacks, misses badly.

Gimblyn is also struck once by the zombies that are attacking him (6 damage)

Xora does not weather the attacks from her zombies well at all and both of them land a powerful hit on her (6 and 5 damage)

Kost, unable to see Kama through the horde of zombies, steps around to see the rest of the party and launches a volley of magic missiles at Stormsong (12 damage).
OOC:
Back to your turn!
Sep 19, 2016 5:02 pm
Taking the blow from the zombie to get his blood flowing, Stormsong instinctively draws upon the strength of the mountain as he absorbs three bolts of force from the necromancer with a primal scream!

He then swings his longsword to finish the wounded zombie. (Adding bardic inspiration to the attack roll, if I think I need it after seeing the roll)

Rolls

Longsword, damage - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (6) + 5 = 11

1d8+3 : (7) + 3 = 10

Stone's Endurance (damage reduction) - (1d12+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Sep 19, 2016 5:05 pm
Stormsong takes a large chunk out of the already-wounded zombie. It staggers under the blow, but refuses to go down.
OOC:
Unfortunately, you can't bardically inspire yourself
Sep 19, 2016 5:13 pm
OOC:
Ok, thanks -- I never tried it, but I saw someone use it at a recent Con -- which evidently was a bad ruling.

That dang zombie fortitude!!
load next

Thread locked