Players Looking for SWADE GM

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Oct 27, 2020 4:51 pm
We can probably talk about those questions on the forum. There hasn't been a lot of worldbuilding done, but each of us have a few NPCs as part of our character backstories.
Oct 27, 2020 4:59 pm
Yes, I'd prefer to discuss these details in the game forum, as well. Perhaps we can submit our characters right away and you can see the backstories, and then ask questions based on those.
Oct 28, 2020 2:29 pm
Heya! I invited everyone to the game, here's the game page. :)
Also, would original players be opposed to new players? I recall KaeJae showing interest earlier in this thread, and was wondering if they'd like to join!
Oct 30, 2020 10:22 am
Moonbeam says:
runestone says:
bowlofspinach says:
It does seem suspicious that there has emerged a trend of new members starting up Savage Worlds games that then suddenly disappear but I don't see what the point would be of someone repeatedly coming here and trolling people interested in SW games.
My theory: Someone from another PbP site who likes to play SW but is unable to come up with a quality character concept, so they make a game here and steal ours. :-)
That's just crazy enough to work!
It's not only SW games they are pulling this with or only at GP. Look through the game recruiting ads for the last three or four months and you will see the same MO. Recruit. Fill game. Make characters. Maybe start first scene, then ghost and delete support files.
I hadn't thought about the character stealing theory. I think they just get off on the mass disappointment caused.
Last edited October 30, 2020 10:23 am
Oct 30, 2020 10:27 am
I usually don't assume malice and just think people are excited to start a game and then get bored of it quickly. It's just an inherent danger especially in PBP. I just feel like it's happening particularly often with Savage Worlds. And I've had three SW games where the GM didn't just disappear but where they actively deleted the game forums without giving any sort of warning or indication to the players and I've never had that happen with another system so that made me extra suspicious
Oct 30, 2020 10:31 am
I want to believe it's some ex-Pinnacle employee who has a grudge and goes around frustrating players on PbP websites lol. That's my conspiracy theory now that I've heard of this phenomenon.
Oct 30, 2020 10:38 am
The person I am speaking of pitched this same SW campaign to me on another site in a private message while I was building a character for the game they were supposedly running there. That game, using Quest, was then pitched here after they ghosted on the other site. That game here was then ghosted as well. And there are other games as well. Lady Blackbird anyone?
Oct 30, 2020 2:18 pm
I've noticed the person recruiting for the SW games uses the dot between words in the user name. Also all the profiles have shown an age of 38.
Oct 30, 2020 3:14 pm
HoorayRat says:
I've noticed the person recruiting for the SW games uses the dot between words in the user name. Also all the profiles have shown an age of 38.
I wasn’t signed on to the conspiracy theory until I saw this. That’s a bit too freaky to be a total coincidence.
Oct 30, 2020 3:20 pm
Right, I had a feeling that the names were similar but I couldn't pinpoint why until I saw this post. That was it
Oct 30, 2020 7:47 pm
HoorayRat says:
I'd like to be able to claim to have noticed something and shrugged it off, but I sort of fell for games proposed by each of these personas. My powers of intuition are now highly suspect.

But now I'm fighting off a strong desire for a Scooby-Doo-like investigation to unmask this fiend.
Oct 30, 2020 8:11 pm
They also like to use system names as a part of their user name and/or a title of honor or nobility.

The only way I know of to unmask this person is by tracking their IP.

Warning to the Wise: Be very careful when considering to join a game by someone who is new to the site and has shown no previous proclivity for dependability.
Oct 30, 2020 8:17 pm
RageRed says:
The only way I know of to unmask this person is by tracking their IP.
Honestly, I was joking about the investigation to unmask them. :)
Last edited October 30, 2020 8:18 pm
Oct 30, 2020 8:22 pm
"It was Old Man Dotname all along!"

"And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling gamers!"
Oct 30, 2020 8:25 pm
bowlofspinach says:
"It was Old Man Dotname all along!"

"And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling gamers!"
It practically writes itself!
Oct 30, 2020 9:02 pm
I pity the next newcomer who happens to choose a name with a dot. :-)

However, I do see some fun posibilities for scam-baiting next time this person shows up. I think you could confuse them a lot with questions like 'How many cats can my character own if I take the Filthy Rich edge?' Alas, the fear of accidentally targeting the wrong person would keep me from going through with something like that.

Maybe we should just be happy that this person made an interesting concept for a game that brought four players and GM together. If we are being very, very kind, we can choose to believe that that was their intention all along. Never attribute to malice that which is adequately almost explained by stupidity.
Oct 30, 2020 9:13 pm
As a matter of fact, both of the games this specter hoodwinked me into ended up with a new GM taking over. I'm not willing to concede a beneficent motivation to the scammer, but it at least has worked out all right for the two games of mine they abandoned.
Last edited October 31, 2020 7:20 am
Oct 31, 2020 2:28 am
I wish I could say there was a positive to my experience, but both of the games I joined were abandoned and that ended them most abruptly.
Oct 31, 2020 7:12 am
Two games that were abandoned by the GM where we players decided to pick up the slack and continue without the original GM have turned into my favorite games on the site. Neither of them was Savage Worlds or by this GM, though.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.