Set up thread for runekyndig

load previous
Dec 17, 2020 2:04 pm
OOC:
I'd say 1 Hub Credit would be the equivalent of 10 USD. So 2000 would be like about US$20000.
Btw, what are you going to do next?
Dec 18, 2020 4:36 pm
Being bored at a security desk job, decipher the note is an interesting pastime. She is still following the fellow to the eleventh floor, but perhaps not as urgently as she could have.
Quote:
Nouen-Penti ashkavei rincip.
Abdo jovani nou oudre:
1) Encantano ritua nai Pento: 6'000 Hub Credits
2) Esura nou vita pars: 2'000 Hub Credits
3) Sancrai dou rincipita: 500 Hub Credits
An order for 3 items, very expensive items...
Dec 24, 2020 8:58 am
Sam takes the lift and arrives at the 11th floor. With a greeting with the guard there, you easily enter into the office of the floor. You know that it is nothing too special, mainly for accounting or telemarketing jobs.
However, you're not too sure where the guy went to, but you know where you may find the office room of the floor manager.
OOC:
If you want to try your luck, you could roll to translate the order, but it won't be easy.
Dec 25, 2020 4:01 pm
Sam goes to see the floor manager, while she ponders the document
OOC:
making a skill roll for the first time
She is trained in all interactions involving lies or trickery and special abilities involving illusions or trickery I would argue that decoding a coded message is within that area. Enough to reduce the diff step by 1 or 2

Then she makes an efford before reaching the floor manager, that is 3 INT points for -1 diff step, but she had 1 Edge so the cost is 2 INT points

So the diff is reduced by -2 or -3 at the cost of 2 INT point

Am I right? I'm at the inlaws so I don't have the book at hand, just a cheetsheet from Numenera that I found online
But a 2 will get me nowhere, so I will use an XP to get a reroll. This might be overkill, but this is also me learning the system
Last edited December 25, 2020 4:04 pm

Rolls

Decoding the order - (1d20)

(2) = 2

1xp = reroll - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Dec 26, 2020 3:38 am
OOC:
Alright, the cheat sheet is about good enough, I also use it for brief checks. Btw, when you spend the 4xp for character advancement, do give me heads up on what it is in ooc thread.
I am not sure how much is trickery is usable in language/decoding, I'll think it over a bit. But other than that, you are right in the other parts.

You know what, with your reroll of 20, it shall be a complete success anyways!
Your mind worked pretty well and fast. The message of the receipt is revealed to you during your couple minutes of travel:
Unknown-Five undisclosed receipt.
The following main orders:
1) Ritual of Enchanting the Five: 6'000 Hub Credits
2) Insurance to cover death: 2'000 Hub Credits
3) Special process of transaction: 500 Hub Credits

You feel that there may still be contextual meaning still missing that you can't understand, but the words are at least understood. You still are not sure why the company is named "The Unknown Five".

Anyways, with a knock on the glass door, the floor manager welcomes you into his office and asks what are you are here for.
Dec 28, 2020 3:15 pm
Hello sir, one of your young erents dropped this document. As it seems to be encoded, I assume that it is classified by some level, and negligence handling of classified material is a security matter.

Sam takes a more private tone with the manager. Is it normal practice to encode documents or is there something sinister at foot here? Insider trading?

She is going to research "the five" and whatever ritual enchanting they might need.
OOC:
Is magic a thing in this world?

XP spent:
Extra Effort +1 4xp
Skill: Computer 4xp
Moving Toward Perfection (might) 4xp
Last edited December 28, 2020 3:17 pm
Dec 29, 2020 12:49 pm
OOC:
There is magic, but it is closely regulated, as magic was not possible when the Recursion was created, but from frequent importation magical powers, the laws of local reality weaken a little to sustain such phenomena. Also, I was originally thinking that Sam/Amanda is a low ranking security staff, and not actually the chief of security. But I'll make a balance for you.
The manager looks at you a little stunned. He takes the document from you and gives it read with a frown. "This is... um. This is concerning. So you are sure that no one else have seen this? That is good. However, this is also not exactly for your eyes either. So I hope you would ignore this little incident. And yes, we do sometimes encode documents for confidential information. What counts as information confidential enough to encode? That would be above your pay. Speaking of pay, here's a little reward for handling this situation. Oh, and such documents don't actually exist, if you know what I mean." He hands you 5 Hub Credits, and waves you away.
OOC:
Edited the currency in your sheet for you already. Btw, how might Sam do her research? And do a roll for each method.
Dec 29, 2020 1:42 pm
OOC:
Yes, Sam is not the chief of security, but she would not do her due diligence by not reacting to a possible security tread.
Sam nods to the manager. I see now that the clerk just dropped a page from a draft contract, in the client's native langue. An honest mistake. They say it's good for the body to get up from your desk from time to time. I will return to mine

Sam returns to her desk and starts to think. She starts by reading up on the companies history, who the five is, and what that is all about. Then she does a security audit, setting up a (Linux) server outside the company network, and probe the company's ports. Standard stuff, but she also does a (google) search for magic, the langue, and ritual sights.
OOC:
The thing is not to have a log of her online search for magic

I saw this youtube and have done just that on my home network. Will do it on my firms company when I get back after the holidays

Rolls

computer use - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Dec 29, 2020 2:00 pm
OOC:
Oh, you are an actual professional in this. You may notice that descriptions of the company may be off, as that is both a combination of the weird culture of the Recursion, and my own limited knowledge. Anyways, it might seem a little awkward when I present things, as you know better.
Dec 29, 2020 2:03 pm
OOC:
don't worry about the tech stuff. Different Recursion, different tech level. I was just being fancy in saying she would google magic, but without leaving an easy to follow trace. She knows there is something hinky with this firm.
Dec 30, 2020 6:28 am
OOC:
Alright. Do for me 2 more rolls for setting up the server to search the company's records, and for online searching of magic. By the way, by "Company's Ports", do you mean like where it does its businesses?
Sam looks up on the company. It has its own website, detailing in a straight format about its services and other basic info. However, it shows nothing about its history, so she hunts for articles about it. Unfortunately, it is harder than she thought. She does find news of Nouen-Penti being involved in a number of different projects and commending them for their quality and effectiveness. No explicit mentions of magic being involved, other than describing it feeling as such. The oldest she knows that the company have been around for is about 200 years.
Dec 30, 2020 12:47 pm
OOC:
your router has some ports where it connects to the internet. Some for the internet, some for email, some for a webpage, some for remote desktops ect. Think of them as holes in the wall of your house. Your door has a lock, you can close your window, but if there is a hole(port) that is open, but not used, hackers can gain unhindered asses through that hole, and nobody would know.
OOC:
ah come one! I'm not impressed with Sams rolls so fare
Last edited December 30, 2020 12:48 pm

Rolls

search the company's records - (1d20)

(4) = 4

searching of magic - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Jan 2, 2021 7:06 am
OOC:
Yeah, that looks bad. Do you want to spent a reroll, if you have spare xp, or just accept the consequence/results?

I'm thinking of doing a GM intrusion, and rewarding you 2xp if you accept. Refuse is still cost 1xp.
Jan 2, 2021 7:14 am
RoAries sent a note to RoAries
Jan 2, 2021 8:55 am
OOC:
I'll accept the intrusion
Jan 3, 2021 12:21 pm
Sam looks at her surroundings, and spots that some fellow colleagues are around. One saw that she is looking nervous, and proceeds over to take a look.
OOC:
Make a roll with stealth or trickery. Result hint: diff lvl 5 to decently pass, with skill it is now diff lvl 4. You gain 2xp.
Jan 3, 2021 2:08 pm
just doing my job and being through. See here, let me show you...
Sam explains why she is using an external server to probe the companies network. Her colleague can see the benefit and adds the procedure to their SOP (Standart Operation Presidure).
OOC:
well that is how I would see a minor effect could play out
Last edited January 3, 2021 2:12 pm

Rolls

stealth and trickery - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Jan 4, 2021 10:35 am
The colleague nods her head as she listens to Sam's explanation. She then leaves you alone as you cover your tracks before making your leave.

The next day, Sam looks up on magic and language-related stuff on the local internet's search engine in private mode on her own given computer. It seems that finding anything relevant enough is pretty difficult. So far, she unearthed that practising anything considered as magic is technically forbidden, except for important and regulated purposes. There are news of several crackdowns of illegal magic use, which are mostly by amateurs, though a few professionally performed ones are known. She make note of some of such cases. She also learnt that the language the founders of Nouen-Penti use is called Italnando. The people that uses it, called Italnandians, came from a foreign Recursion country known for its magic and culture tied to matters of the dead and the afterlife, where ghosts are a real phenomena that exist with the living. Searching for the Unknown Five brings up nothing relevant, and Nouen-Penti only brings up the company.

So far, Sam have no luck. But she could try again to hack into the company's system again, if she wish to. But doing so may be riskier. She could also attempt another tangent to investigate, or perhaps leave the matter alone for now.
Jan 4, 2021 1:28 pm
She is a little puzzled about the firm's murky history and casually brings it up during lunch. She has seen several "About Us" pages on other companies' webpages, but they have none. Why is that?

If she can find an Italnando dictionary, she will download it, but otherwise, this is the extent of her investigation for now.
Jan 8, 2021 11:01 am
OOC:
You get 2 xp for now. 1 for what you learn, and another for ending of this scene.
Sam did find the about page, but it details nothing much other than that it was set up by a group of foreigners that views that security and protection of both physical and informational assets to be its highest priority. There is a list of partners and clients like Abyssal Shipping, Tomb of Tomes, and Jakarai Manufacturing.

Sam speaks with others about the lack information, and they feel that it is normal for information to be fairly vague. Information is both treasure and weapon in The Dark City, and that a company being coy about its nature and accomplishments is expected for a company such as this. Her colleagues advice her not to pursue too much into this, as it would risk her job, and potentially her life. Regarding death threats, no one would want to give suggestions on what such things may be.

As she continues on the days, Sam would notice that people are acting slightly odd around her.
OOC:
I will continue on this later. Btw, I've decided to reveal that I have an idea of a "suspicion lvl" thing. You are on lvl 2, which comes from the "googling" of magic, and the asking around. To be lvl 10 would make you a highly threatening enemy, but it won't likely have to come to that.

I just want to ask as well, are you okay with me asking for rolls a bit more but may cause things to be a little slower, or would you rather that I make things a little quicker with assuming results of your actions, of which may be avoidable with good rolls?

If it is the first, I'd like you to also roll for persuading colleagues to talk, and for finding and downloading the dictionary.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.