Recruitment Threads!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Len

May 11, 2021 11:54 pm
I recently posted a short guide about how to write recruitment threads in the Gamers Tavern. If you'd like to give feedback about that guide, or you'd like to discuss recruitment threads in general, here is good a place to do it!
May 12, 2021 12:47 am
Thanks for the guide! I think it will be very helpful for both new and old GMs alike. I did have one question: A lot of the stuff you recommend for the recruitment thread I actually tend to put into the game's "Game Details" page (where people actually submit PCs and the like). Would you say that best practice is to repeat that material in the recruitment thread, as well? Or am I misusing the "Game Details" page?
Last edited May 12, 2021 1:05 am
May 12, 2021 1:02 am
Personally, I find that I almost never go look at the Game Details page. It seems pretty rare for anyone to even link it, and it's not always easy or convenient to go and find it since the game isn't always named after the system or module someone is running.

Perhaps if the thread is for recruitment, it would be best practice to put a link to your Game Details page, where similar/the same information is posted.

For a lot of tips on recruitment, I'm not afraid to steal from Mythweavers. They're a bigger site and I don't like how they do their recruitment, but some of their recruitment threads are polished to a seriously impressive degree. And I think part of their game thread form requires a link to a pre-made forum of some type, there's always one at the top.
Last edited May 12, 2021 1:02 am
May 12, 2021 1:11 am
I put things everywhere, so that nobody misses it. Any games I post are formated in this order.

Title: Name for game then system.
Link to game as well as any limitations of who can join.
Gane pitch.
Number of players.
Other
Character Creation Giudelines.

I miss posts per day which probably wouldn't be a bad thing to add somewhere near the start.
; )

Thank you for making this I tend to try to make them myself for everything but only get so far and always forget things
Last edited May 12, 2021 1:17 am
May 12, 2021 4:35 am
Not sure if this goes in recruiting or is more session zero stuff: Is a character backstory needed? Will the PCs know each other?
Is the campaign rolplay heavy/light/either?
May 12, 2021 10:15 am
Recruitment isn't much different than session zero, if you can keep people who aren't interested in your game from applying that's better than having people drop out
May 12, 2021 4:52 pm
Seems pretty thorough. I'm not sure I have much to add except perhaps concerning the adult/controversial content. Perhaps if a GM is wishing to use tools such as lines and veils or the X-card (though I'm not entirely sure how that one could be implemented in pbp format...), or anything else (like my own "social contract" which has many elements in common with lines and veils), this should probably be the place to inform potential players of that.
May 12, 2021 5:14 pm
Quote:
X-card (though I'm not entirely sure how that one could be implemented in pbp format...)
You could just write a red X in your post probably.
But that's a good idea. Could be added to the recruitment blueprint!
May 13, 2021 12:20 am
Very good, Len. Definitely not an overwhelming list of requirements best practices. I agree with the division of should haves and maybe haves.

I appreciate you putting the pitch in the first group. In particular, I see a number of recruitment checks where the GM lists many details about their world, but nothing about what the players will do in that world. A pitch on what the PCs will do, even just to start, will generate much more enthusiasm.
Last edited May 13, 2021 12:22 am

Len

May 14, 2021 3:44 am
SavageBob says:
Thanks for the guide! I think it will be very helpful for both new and old GMs alike. I did have one question: A lot of the stuff you recommend for the recruitment thread I actually tend to put into the game's "Game Details" page (where people actually submit PCs and the like). Would you say that best practice is to repeat that material in the recruitment thread, as well? Or am I misusing the "Game Details" page?
Up to you, but I would want to put that information as up-front and center as possible. Like Skeptical says, some users don't look at that.

Sometimes people first encounter your game through the game detail page (like if they see it on the 'Latest Games' section on the home page) so I think it is a smart idea to summarize the important details there too. I'd link to the recruitment thread inside of the game detail page and direct players to go there to apply or for more info.
May 14, 2021 4:06 am
This is a really helpful guide, thank you! Being new to this site, I will certainly be using this as a reference when I start my own games.

Len

May 14, 2021 4:11 am
crazybirdman says:
Not sure if this goes in recruiting or is more session zero stuff: Is a character backstory needed? Will the PCs know each other? Is the campaign rolplay heavy/light/either?
Backstory requirements is probably covered by character requirements and roleplay/combat balance is probably covered by playstyle, but perhaps playstyle could be put into its own category (currently it is under the heading "Pitch").

Len

May 14, 2021 4:14 am
kalajel says:
Seems pretty thorough. I'm not sure I have much to add except perhaps concerning the adult/controversial content. Perhaps if a GM is wishing to use tools such as lines and veils or the X-card (though I'm not entirely sure how that one could be implemented in pbp format...), or anything else (like my own "social contract" which has many elements in common with lines and veils), this should probably be the place to inform potential players of that.
Mentioning safety tools is a good call. There could be a whole thread on how to do safety tools well in PbP.

Len

May 14, 2021 4:16 am
Thanks for all the kind messages and advice! If anyone has more examples to share of great recruitment threads, I would appreciate your suggestions so i can add them to the guide.
May 14, 2021 1:41 pm
maybe it's also worth suggesting people delete threads once they have found all their players?
May 14, 2021 1:54 pm
It's generally a good idea to keep them up. If the game is long running you will be recruiting again down the road. Updating it to let people know it is closed is a good idea though.
May 14, 2021 7:27 pm
It is helpful to have a post by the GM at the end of the thread saying. "The game has been filled, thank you."
May 14, 2021 8:49 pm
Qralloq says:
It is helpful to have a post by the GM at the end of the thread saying. "The game has been filled, thank you."
YES some of time there is confusion around that

Len

May 15, 2021 1:54 pm
Qralloq says:
That's a good thing to add. Here's the addition:
Quote:
When you have recruited all of your players, please conclude your thread with a message saying that you have filled all the available player slots. When you contact your chosen players, it is good practice to post or send a link to the game details page as sometimes the game invite emails do not reach the recipients. That way players can still accept the invite.
May 15, 2021 3:41 pm
Excellent addition, especially the warnings about invites.
May 22, 2021 4:55 pm
Quote:
If anyone has more examples to share of great recruitment threads, I would appreciate your suggestions so i can add them to the guide.
I just got reminded of this by the Gamers exPlane video. It doesn't fulfill everything listed in this thread but I think my Wildsea recruitment thread was pretty nice. Even if the two games that started from it didn't end up getting very far.
May 23, 2021 7:38 pm
Quote:
If anyone has more examples to share of great recruitment threads, I would appreciate your suggestions so i can add them to the guide.
I think I did okey with my Spelljammer tread. We got a discussion going about the game premise and what I expected of my players.
Jun 12, 2021 10:37 pm
Question for the community. Should we try and put cross-links from the Game Details page to the interest check thread and vice versa? My thinking is if it's the first line in Game Details: "Players who wish to join please see the guidelines and post interest here: (link to Interest Check)" then interested players will see clear guidelines.

On a broader more, as we develop or adopt this thing forward, then it will become more and more expected/looked for.

Len

Jun 13, 2021 12:53 am
Qralloq says:
Question for the community. Should we try and put cross-links from the Game Details page to the interest check thread and vice versa? My thinking is if it's the first line in Game Details: "Players who wish to join please see the guidelines and post interest here: (link to Interest Check)" then interested players will see clear guidelines.

On a broader more, as we develop or adopt this thing forward, then it will become more and more expected/looked for.
I think this is a good idea. I don`t think links can be made clickable in Game Details but at least people can copy-paste the url.

Len

Jun 13, 2021 12:54 am
I've updated the recruitment advice post with a thing about welcoming marginalized groups, added some images to make it look spiffier, and added some more example games: https://gamersplane.com/forums/thread/21243/?p=978912#p978912
Jun 13, 2021 1:14 am
Yeah even without being able to make a link it would be a bonus, especially for new players who sometimes just apply for random games.

Len

Jun 13, 2021 2:41 am
Qralloq says:
I have added this advice to the guide.
Jun 13, 2021 6:26 am
I always add that link on the details page but it would be neat if it could be clickable. And maybe even in a dedicated field for it
Jun 13, 2021 6:29 am
If you're quoting from my Flood game, that may be a better example to link at the bottom than the Wildsea one

Len

Jun 13, 2021 5:52 pm
Sounds good, I've put both in. They are both great examples. And I typed your name correctly even this time.
Dec 14, 2021 2:10 pm
With The ability to link to Game description I wonder if this is due for some type of update, I'm not sure exactly what it would look like maybe just mentioning the possibility and moving on just thought I'd bring it up.
Dec 14, 2021 2:42 pm
Good thought. Definitely an update

Len

Dec 14, 2021 11:23 pm
Since I haven't made a recruiting post since that feature was implemented, I don't know enough about how it works to update. I'm sure it's not that hard and I'll look into it when there is time. Thanks for the idea.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.