Chapter One: Threshold

load previous
Jul 25, 2022 10:19 pm
OOC:
Krahn wouldn't care unless anything was shiny. So unless the dagger is particularly shiny he probably would have any strong feelings. He also probably wouldn't speak up in front of the patriarch anyway though.
Jul 27, 2022 12:47 pm
Blending in the background so far with Krahn, Ferathil steps into the conversation. "Who is this person who can help identify these items, human?" His not is not particularly aggressive, but not particularly trustful either.
Jul 27, 2022 1:05 pm
"A magus of my acquaintance by the name of Kerwl Greybeard. His fee is normally 100 gp for each item to be identified, but the church is prepared to pay the fee in good faith for what you have done," the Patriarch replies evenly.
Jul 27, 2022 4:10 pm
Arnulf nods at the the Patriarch's proposal. He is startled by Ferathil's tone, since he was not speaking to any human, but their current employer. Then again, the elf had explained he was not often among humans; certainly his traditions and notions of hierarchy must be quite different.

"That is a most generous offer, Your Holiness," he stated, hoping he had gotten the honorifics right. Being in awe, didn't make the former mercenary anymore knowledgeable.
Jul 27, 2022 4:38 pm
Derval is somewhat mollified by Arnulf's agreement with the patriarch, and Ferathil's questioning.

"Shall we return later today Patriarch to collect the divinations from Greybeard? Shall we say at afternoon tea time?"
Jul 27, 2022 8:23 pm
The patriarch presses his hands together as if thinking and replies, "Yes, I should think that would be sufficient time. I'll see you then."
OOC:
If anyone has any business to conduct during the wait time, feel free to describe or RP it.
That afternoon, you gather back with the patriarch. "Very well. According to Greybeard, these boots are of elven make. They enable the wearer to move in complete silence (boots of elvenkind). The bottles, as you may have surmised, are potions; specifically a potion of healing in this bottle and a potion of gaseous form in this one. He hands the bottles back and each has been neatly labeled. Finally, the dagger is an old blade, first created by Belmarq of Marilenev and intended for the then-prince of the region. Not only is it enchanted, but it glows with a soft blue light when goblins are near (dagger +1, glows when goblins are within 10 feet)."

He hands the items back to you. "Use them well or trade them, as you wish. The church is always willing to purchase potions if you are inclined to get rid of them. The other items are of no interest to us. Do understand that in the future, we will be unable to cover the cost of identification. That is something that you will need to budget for. Likewise, while we have healed your party fully, in future dealings a donation to the church is expected unless you are working for us directly."
OOC:
That said, there is always the tried and true method of identifying items; trying them out. Usually, a sip of a potion will give an idea of what it does (though poison will still be enough to take effect, so be wary). Weapons can be identified once used in life-or-death combat, not mere practice. Same with armor. Other magical items you will need to try to figure out by experimentation. If you do not have the command words, wands, staves, and rods may need to be identified properly. A caster of the proper class can tell what a scroll does simply by reading over it (if a cleric) or read magic (if a magic-user or elf).
Jul 27, 2022 8:43 pm
OOC:
@WhtKnt: What is the third potion? Also, did the silver ring comes up as non-magical? Finally, does Derval know a reliable gem smith in town that they can have value the gems they found?
OOC:
What are everyone's feelings about the magic items? How do we share them out?
Ferathil was interested in the spell book.
Arnulf was interested in the dagger.
Krahn was interested in the 100 gold, shiny, coins.
Derval was interested in the boots.
Shall we share them all that way?
Cash in the 2 gems and split that equally? Not sure about the 3 potions, or the silver ring?
Jul 27, 2022 9:59 pm
OOC:
Oh, there were three potions, weren't there? Okay, make the third one a second healing potion. The ring is, alas, just a silver ring. Yes, you do know of a gemsmith that you would consider fair and reliable. To save a little time, the gems are worth 50 gp and 100 gp. The ring is worth 20 gp.
Jul 27, 2022 10:34 pm
OOC:
@WhtKnt: Great, thank you. Is this is the end of the adventure, or will their be another offer of work to the party? Seems we have reached the end of this chapter at least.
Jul 28, 2022 1:46 am
OOC:
The end of this chapter, but if you folks are for continuing, I still have adventures available.
Jul 28, 2022 2:25 am
OOC:
Yes please, i’m keen to go again. Thank you for running this. It brought back memories and was fun. Derval turned out better than i had expected
Jul 28, 2022 9:43 am
OOC:
Ferathil is also willing to continue. He will look at the boots with envy, but will not fight to get them over the spell book.

Is there any difficulty for the elf to read the spell book? Does he need to find a magic user in town to help him?
Jul 28, 2022 6:41 pm
OOC:
As I believe that every fledgling mage should have read magic in their spellbook, you can read it with the use of such. If you don't have read magic, please add it to your known spells. The spells that the book contains are: 1st level: charm person, detect magic, magic missile, read magic, sleep; 2nd level: detect evil, locate object, mirror image.
Jul 28, 2022 7:01 pm
"If I might press upon you for another service," the patriarch begins trepidatiously. "There is in our sanctuary a young acolyte who has led a very sheltered life and we would like for her to gain some experience in the world. You are under no obligation to take her with you, of course, but we would very much appreciate it. She has not yet mastered her prayers, but she is a capable hand in a fight and is willing to accompany you if you would have her. Josette! Come here, dear." A young human woman, maybe 16 years old, approaches your company. She has long blonde hair and green eyes and is dressed in the robes of the church. "This is Josette," he says in introduction.
Jul 28, 2022 7:09 pm
OOC:
Arnulf would definitely want to pursue these adventures, as would his player.

Regarding the treasure recovered: This is quite the haul!

A spectacular spell book for Ferathil! I'm okay with the proposed distribution in general. Arnulf took the dagger hoping it might be a valuable thing, but it's not his favored weapon. I think Krahn or Derval could keep it and probably make better use than the fighter.

What Arnulf definitely needs is healing potions, better armor and arms. So a potion of healing and enough money to buy plate mail, shield, and a longsword would probably be the best for him.

There were five or six other plotlines / rumors offered in the opening page of this thread, I believe. We could come back to those and see what entices the party to adventure further.
Jul 28, 2022 7:16 pm
OOC:
Josette, should you choose to have her, is a 1st-level cleric. When she hits 2nd level, she will begin to get her spells. If you would rather continue without a cleric along, feel free to turn him down. I offer her aid. She would get 1/2 the XP that everyone else receives and would only get a share if you agreed to give her one.
Jul 28, 2022 7:38 pm
Looking from the Patriarch to Josette and then to his companions, the warrior gave his opinion: "As far as I am concerned, acolyte Josette is welcome to join us as an ally and spiritual guide."
OOC:
I'm absolutely favorable to the idea of adding an NPC cleric, and if we could pick up a thief hireling along the way as well.
Jul 28, 2022 8:25 pm
OOC:
A thief hireling is certainly a possibility. Would you like to interview prospects, or just take the first one you find?
Jul 28, 2022 8:32 pm
Derval lets out a loud harrumph.

"Yes, just what we need," he answers the Patriarch, while giving Arnulf a pointed look. "Nothing like adding another big, clumsy human."
OOC:
Yes! Very happy to have the acolyte along, as we'll definitely need her help.

Well maybe we can agree that all the money, gems and silver ring are the Party treasure. We can get Arnulf, and anyone else, some much needed gear with that.

So, eh? Maybe;
Krahn would like the dagger (if you are carrying on with this Fredge?)
Ferathil the spellbook and potion of gaseous form
Arnulf the 2 potions of healing
Derval the Elven boots, with the understanding that he must do thiefly thing

Does that work for everyone?
Jul 28, 2022 10:34 pm
OOC:
@Fredge: are you joining us for another adventure?
OOC:
Not sure I am best at vetting folk. I'd bow to your judgement @WhtKnt, as you are going to be the one with the most headaches if they are not great, and will go with the group consensus if everyone would prefer to vet beforehand.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.